Houston
Sponsored by

5 HPD Officers Shot

94,712 Views | 510 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Ghost91
Jackal99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Uh oh.
IrishTxAggie
AG
. . . said:

Quote:

https://www.click2houston.com/news/investigates/channel-2-investigates-major-questions-raised-about-raid-turned-shootout-after-warrant-reviewed

The story from Houston Police Department narcotics officers surrounding a drug raid-turned-shootout that left five officers injured and two people dead doesn't add up, according to a warrant reviewed by Channel 2 Investigates on Friday.

In the legal documents obtained by Channel 2 Investigates, a sergeant stated that he along with his partner were unable to track down any confidential informants involved in a drug buy at the home of 58-year-old Rhogena Nicholas and 59-year-old Dennis Tuttle. Both were killed in the shooting that also resulted in the shooting of four HPD officers.

In the warrant, the sergeant went on to say Officer Gerald Goines of HPD's Narcotics Division provided officers, including Lt. Marsha Todd, a high-ranking narcotics division supervisor, two different names of confidential informants. The warrant stated the two officers, "interviewed all of the confidential informants and all denied making a buy for Goines from the Harding Street residence, and ever purchasing narcotics from Nicholas or Tuttle."

Channel 2 Investigates is still digging through the new records and will continue to update this breaking story throughout the day.

Someone is about to be very, very rich after these lawsuits and hopefully it will force Acevedo to GTFO

This is a Buzbee special to put it to Turner and his administration.
f burg ag
AG
I Am A Critic said:

f burg ag said:

Has anyone discussed the gun fight itself? It was reported that Tuttle came from the back of the house with a 357 firing on the police after his dog and wife had been shot. 357s are typically 5 or 6 shot revolvers. 4 cops were shot and one was shot 3 times. So Tuttle would have to be a perfect shot (no way he had time to reload) all while he is being fired on by anywhere from 5 to 15 LEOs. No way in hell. And if this was playing out in the house, why are there a bunch of entry bullet holes on the outside of the house. Seems like a lot went wrong.....
The revolver wasn't the only weapon recovered at the scene. Sounds like he used a shotgun as well. There may have been 15 LEOs there but they weren't all shooting. This happened in the doorway/living room of a small home. Think of a small funnel where LEOs are trying to return fire and pull others to safety at the same time. That's a lot of body mass in a small space which makes for a pretty easy target. LEOs aren't going to go shooting blindly at a home hoping they hit something so there were probably just a handful in a position to engage Tuttle. But hey, don't let logic interfere with the witch hunt you fine folks have going on.
How much more logic do you have to debunk our "witch hunt"?
03_Aggie
He's just a critic.
Post removed:
by user
Marvin_Zindler
AG
Over/under on how much money COH is about to have to pay the family. I'll take the under at $6 mm.
tylercsbn9
AG
tylercsbn9 said:

I'm going to predict an Acevedo resignation in the near future
I am going to continue to stand by this prediction from two weeks ago.
Liquid Wrench
So when Acevedo said "they were dealing black tar heroin," he had absolutely no idea what was going on and was making it up as he goes to cover up for an operation he knew nothing about?
Camo
I am just going to say it......

imagine this story but the suspected "drug dealers" are, and bare with me here........ African American

the country would implode
Jackal99
AG
hodgesco said:

Over/under on how much money COH is about to have to pay the family. I'll take the under at $6 mm.
Sly will just use this as more justification to fight Prop B.
Liquid Wrench
Some amazing comments on r/houston:

Quote:

Avacado needs to go and so does turner. A fish rots from the head down and right now HPD smells like a Melissa Etheridge concert with broken a/c during a Houston summer.
HtownAg92
AG
hodgesco said:

No one is going to give a couple of unemployed junkies 6 million dollars.

Regardless of how bad HPD botched the raid, the couple will get dinged for contributory negligence because they decided to get in a shootout with police, and they were engaged in illegal activity in the house (even if not distribution, still illegal to possess). Oh, and they will have to beat immunity too. Their families aren't getting a jackpot out of this.
Ag_07
AG
But if the warrant is bogus then the police had no right to be there and are essentially just intruders into their house.

Basically, if they never should have been there in the first place then that's on HPD.
schmellba99
AG
HtownAg92 said:

hodgesco said:

No one is going to give a couple of unemployed junkies 6 million dollars.

Regardless of how bad HPD botched the raid, the couple will get dinged for contributory negligence because they decided to get in a shootout with police, and they were engaged in illegal activity in the house (even if not distribution, still illegal to possess). Oh, and they will have to beat immunity too. Their families aren't getting a jackpot out of this.
I'm going to disagree, especially if the fact that no undercover/confidential informants were used comes out to be true. Because if it does, it is a 100% abject failure of HPD to do their job even 5% properly, and as a result they murdered 2 people.

There's also a story about one of the LEO's in the raid having 2 bags of unlogged heroin in his glove box that was somehow connected to another case - so in addition to the murder of the man and woman when HPD unlawfully broke into their home, there is the potential for a crapload of other cases to now hang in jeopardy due to contaminated evidence or lack of following established protocol with respect to handling of narcotics or other materials.

HPD won't be immune from this, they will get hammered. And, assuming that it continues to show they FUBAR'd the hell out of this, rightfully so.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

because they decided to get in a shootout with police
We don't know that at this point.

Sovereign immunity is a tuffy. I'll defer to one of the non-bird lawyers here, but I'm guessing a successful lawsuit would have to demonstrate that the officers violated procedure. Has been done before, though.
MAS444
AG
"Contributory negligence..."
kelkel25
Art got some splainin to do
KW02
AG
https://www.khou.com/amp/article?section=news&subsection=crime&headline=hpd-undercover-cop-lied-about-drug-buy-that-led-to-deadly-raid-chief-acevedo-says&contentId=285-54ca0bb4-ba03-4e9d-ab6e-7d40bab2b356&__twitter_impression=true

Cop lied in warrant. never was a purchase at the house. Never was such confidential informant there.

kelkel25
Texas Hammer on line one
Al Bula
AG
Can't wait for Trump-like Buzbee tweet.
HtownAg92
AG
MAS444 said:

Yes, contrib. "Negligence": "the failure to do that which a person of ordinary prudence would have done under the same or similar circumstances, or doing that which a person of ordinary prudence would not have done under the same or similar circumstances."

Like, for instance, the failure to put your hands up where a bunch of cops can see them when they bust through your door, even if wrongfully. Or, another example off the top of my head, pulling a gun and aiming and shooting at a bunch of cops who probably announced as police, had shiny blue jackets that said "police" on them, had shiny gold badges, were aiming weapons and who had you greatly outnumbered. Even if you did nothing wrong and were pissed at your broken door, a person of ordinary prudence isn't going to get in a gun battle with the cops.
case04
AG
yikes.
. . .

Quote:

https://twitter.com/stjbs

Acevedo: "HPD investigation ... we actually submitted a search warrant/affidavit that were sealed and unfortunately someone gave them to the media..."

What that affidavit shows ... his actions in terms of his conduct are in question."

Reiterating promise that investigation will uncover all aspects of raid.

Only reason affidavit exists is because HPD is conducting a "robust""thorough" and "impartial" investigation.

Affidavit will show there are some material untruths or lies with that investigation -- and "that's totally unacceptable."

Acevedo cautioning about making final judgments.

Things being investigated: Case agent's actions leading to warrant, use of force, when problems with investigator's veracity -- other investigations he conducted.

"We're going to get to the truth"

Acevedo is pushing back on having an outside department (FBI) come in and investigate, says HPD's investigation (and this leaked warrant) shows department is fulfilling its promise to seek truth

HPD will be conducting a very extensive audit of the agent's past investigations.

Says it is not indicative of work other officers.

"We know we have a criminal violation -- and a serious one -- by the individual who prepared that affidavit."

"We already know there's a crime committed -- there's a high level of probability a criminal charge will be filed."

Acevedo doubling down saying there was a 911 call that helped prompt investigation.

(@keribla and I have requested a copy of that call but our request was blocked)

Acevedo: "We owe an apology to the community just because someone lied on an affidavit. I'm angry."

Again promising community will know results of investigation when it wraps up.
Quote:

Houston Police Officers' Union statement:

"On February 7, 2019, the HPOU released a statement that no further comments on this case would occur until the case agent was able to be interviewed. We believe that interview took place on February 13th and we just heard some facts confirmed at the Chief's news conference, which are extremely concerning. Such actions, if true, would be extremely disturbing and would not be a reflection of the many men and women of HPD who do an incredible job every day, including those who have worked tirelessly since the shooting ensuring that no stone goes unturned.

"We stand by our assertion from February 7th that the house on Harding Street was not selected at random and we did have information that narcotics were being used/sold at that location. Clearly the officer at the center of this investigation, like any suspect in a criminal case, is innocent until proven guilty. However, at the end of the day, we are all law enforcement officers and the law must be equally enforced against anyone who is proven to be guilty of breaking it.

"Regardless of any criminal investigation, the HPOU will support and participate in any review and changes to policy/procedures that can prevent an incident like this from ever happening again. If these allegations are proven, all HPD officers will have to work to regain the trust of the citizens we serve. Our pledge is the same we have made to you on many occasions: we will use every bit of our energy to provide the most professional law enforcement services to the citizens of Houston."
Liquid Wrench
HtownAg92 said:

MAS444 said:

Yes, contrib. "Negligence": "the failure to do that which a person of ordinary prudence would have done under the same or similar circumstances, or doing that which a person of ordinary prudence would not have done under the same or similar circumstances."

Like, for instance, the failure to put your hands up where a bunch of cops can see them when they bust through your door, even if wrongfully. Or, another example off the top of my head, pulling a gun and aiming and shooting at a bunch of cops who probably announced as police, had shiny blue jackets that said "police" on them, had shiny gold badges, were aiming weapons and who had you greatly outnumbered. Even if you did nothing wrong and were pissed at your broken door, a person of ordinary prudence isn't going to get in a gun battle with the cops.

Were you there?
Al Bula
AG
HtownAg92 said:

MAS444 said:

oh for f cks sake

f burg ag
AG
Assuming this was the intended house and lies led to the no-knock warrant, what do you think the MO was?:

• To get kudos/praise/raise
  • Personal issues with someone in the house or related to someone in the house (very unlikely IMO)
  • Internal pressure to make drug busts
  • Other
f burg ag
AG
One more option for MO- I have always thought it was odd for the reports to focus on the guns found in the house when anyone familiar with guns would not think twice about the intent for said guns (22, 2 shotguns, hunting rifle). And then the 9mm was found to be fabricated. MO- to push Art's crusade against firearms?
Liquid Wrench
Maybe 1 and 3.

Really weird altogether. I think there's a chance the cops shot each other.
MAS444
AG
Yeah I know what contrib is but that's not a defense in a 1983 or assault case.
. . .

Quote:

Sylvester Turner:

"I endorse a full and thorough investigation into this matter to determine what did and did not take place, and I stress that this be completed as soon as possible. I will refrain from commenting about it until I have all facts before me."

Houston Mayoral candidate Tony Buzbee released the following statement:

"If someone screwed up they must be held accountable. That's how it must be, period. But I would hope that in the event there was a mistake, we not paint our entire police force with a broad brush or jump to conclusions about our police. They have a tough job. I grieve for all the families involved."

Houston Mayoral candidate Bill King issued the following statement:

"This entire situation is deeply unsettling and tragic because it has resulted in the death of two Houstonians and needlessly put our officers' lives in jeopardy. It's obvious this is a failure of leadership from the top. Houstonians deserve to know when Sylvester Turner and Art Acevedo learned about these troubling allegations, and how long this would have been kept a secret had the media not uncovered the affidavit?

"It's clear there needs to be a third-party, independent investigation by the FBI or the Texas Rangers to determine what led to the deadly raid and to ensure something like this never happens again."
ccolley68
AG
In a bit of an ironic twist, I wonder if that HPOU rep is regretting his statement regarding the officers with targets on their back immediately after this happened? I agree with the sentiment of his statement, but I can't think of a worse situation to climb up on that soap box than in the wake of what is looking more and more like the police breaking, entering, and murdering American citizens. They were involved in some bad stuff, with the recreational amount of drugs in the house, but that isn't enough to justify the force here, and breaking down doors guns blazing on citizens is a damn good way to piss off everyone in town, regardless of race.
f burg ag
AG
Social Media Influencer said:

Maybe 1 and 3.

Really weird altogether. I think there's a chance the cops shot each other.
Based on Tuttle having a 5/6 shot revolver, the number of entry bullet holes on the outside of the house and the way it was described as going down....I would say it is closer to a certainty than a chance.
Post removed:
by user
Jackal99
AG
Especially if they're not in uniform.
swimmerbabe11
Personally, I think I would reasonably wet myself.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.