Houston
Sponsored by

5 HPD Officers Shot

94,584 Views | 510 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Ghost91
DVC2010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That looked like it was some time after the event started. It sounds like they may have both been shot already, the police just didn't know it.
MAROON
AG
DVC2010 said:

That looked like it was some time after the event started. It sounds like they may have both been shot already, the police just didn't know it.
those shots were most probably double taps to make sure the husband was good and dead.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
Boo Weekley
A little confused...did that vid start recording just after the shootout?
MAROON
AG
Boo Weekley said:

A little confused...did that vid start recording just after the shootout?
yes - that entire raid stinks to high heaven.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
Jackal99
AG
"Please let Reggie be okay."
Chewy
AG
I've heard a suspicion that Goines was banging the CI in question and the CI had a beef with the lady that lived in the house so they devised this raid to get back at her. Why the beef I don't know.

If it's true it makes the most sense even if it doesn't make it right. 2 innocent people are dead. The dirty cop(s) and the CI need justice.

This thing never passed the smell test once facts started coming out. The Union Chief looks like a damn fool for his grandstanding the night it happened.
Guitarsoup
AG
His job is to advocate for his officers and all he knew at the time was that five had been shot. In that light it is kind of hard to blame him, assuming he didn't know how crooked those *******s are
Marauder Blue 6
AG
Guitarsoup said:

His job is to advocate for his officers and all he knew at the time was that five had been shot. In that light it is kind of hard to blame him, assuming he didn't know how crooked those *******s are
He was overboard with the anti-cop rhetoric that night. He needs to learn to tone it down until he has more facts.
Boo Weekley
Marauder Blue 6 said:

Guitarsoup said:

He was overboard with the anti-cop rhetoric that night. He needs to learn to tone it down until he has more facts.
I agree, while I agreed with much of what he said, there was a time and place for it and this wasn't it...completely out of context.

It was like he had been waiting years for his chance to say that stuff on live TV.
Chewy
AG
Bingo. He said cops were sick and tired of being targets. Um, they were serving a no knock warrant. It's an unfortuante situation that comes with a job like that.

At the time without knowing anything else I felt it was completely out of line. They were not targets.

He should have phrased it as a brave example of what officers put themselves through every day to serve their community.

His words ring even more hollow now as facts come out when a time police officers need support more than ever for the actual dangers they put themselves through.

He wanted his moment to grandstand at a place that didn't need grandstanding and now it looks even worse.
Liquid Wrench
The whole press conference was out of line. He and Acevedo were talking out of their asses and making up "facts" without knowing anything. Whatever happened to the "black tar heroin?" Or the "semi-automatic" gun the homeowner allegedly used? What happened to the house on "Hardy" that Acevedo mentioned? And calling Gerald Goines a big teddy bear with a big heart, when he apparently had never even met Goines?

The professional thing would have been to wait until the smoke cleared and gather some facts before commenting on anything more than whether neighbors could return to their homes. But Art Acevedo is not a professional, and little Joe Gamaldi didn't look like one either. They just couldn't wait to jump in front of the cameras.
Jackal99
AG
Just another day in Sylvester's Tine.
tamuags08
AG
I look forward to these bad boys performing no-knock raids in the future

https://www.theonion.com/new-law-enforcement-robot-can-wield-excessive-force-of-1819576570
. . .
https://www.click2houston.com/news/video-inside-the-harding-street-house-where-deadly-botched-raid-occurred
. . .
Autopsy reports released
(His | Hers)
Quote:

Records show the cause of death for both Nicholas and Tuttle was multiple gunshot wounds.

The report for Nicholas shows the 58-year-old suffered two gunshot wounds, with one shot to the chest and one to the thigh. Additional wounds on her right thigh and right leg were noted as the result of possible bullet fragments.

Dennis Tuttle was shot up to nine times. Tuttle suffered wounds to the head, neck, buttocks, wrist and hand.

The report also lists the results of some tests. Nicholas' autopsy revealed the presence of Benzoylecgonine, which is a metabolite associated with cocaine. Blood tests conducted on Dennis Tuttle revealed the presence of cannabis in his system.
IrishTxAggie
AG
. . . said:

Autopsy reports released
(His | Hers)
Quote:

Records show the cause of death for both Nicholas and Tuttle was multiple gunshot wounds.

The report for Nicholas shows the 58-year-old suffered two gunshot wounds, with one shot to the chest and one to the thigh. Additional wounds on her right thigh and right leg were noted as the result of possible bullet fragments.

Dennis Tuttle was shot up to nine times. Tuttle suffered wounds to the head, neck, buttocks, wrist and hand.

The report also lists the results of some tests. Nicholas' autopsy revealed the presence of Benzoylecgonine, which is a metabolite associated with cocaine. Blood tests conducted on Dennis Tuttle revealed the presence of cannabis in his system.

So a double homicide...
jpd301
AG
Evidence left behind after botched Pecan Park drug raid raises new questions about shootings

Some tidbits:

Quote:

A four-day independent forensics review at 7815 Harding Street found a cache of evidence left behind by the city's crime scene teams after a botched drug raid at the home left dead a couple suspected of selling drugs.

Hired by the relatives of Rhogena Nicholas and Dennis Tuttle, the new forensics team found no signs the pair fired shots at police and plenty of signs that previous investigators overlooked dozens of pieces of potential evidence in what one expert called a "sloppy" investigation.

Quote:

"The initial bullet trajectories appear to be somewhat contradictory," said Louisiana-based attorney Chuck Bourque, who is also representing the Nicholas family. "We see no evidence that anybody inside the house was firing toward the door."

Quote:

Among that evidence was nearly a dozen .223- and .45-caliber bullets Maloney and Doyle believe came from police guns. Typically, Tuttle kept four of the guns he owned locked up in a bedroom safe as family heirlooms, Doyle said.

He usually kept a loaded .357 Magnum by his bedside. That was the weapon police initially said he fired in the shoot-out, though it's not clear what happened to the gun afterward. It was not cataloged in the only search warrant return that has been publicly released.

Quote:

Maloney's team found no indication that any of the guns Tuttle owned were fired toward the front of the house at incoming police. The Houston Police Department has not released the results of any ballistics testing and has not specified which guns were fired in the exchange.

In the puddle where Tuttle died after he was shot at least eight times, Maloney found what appear to be two human teeth. An autopsy report showed he'd been shot in the jaw.

Tossed aside in a pile of clothes in the dining room, Maloney and his team found a man's shirt with bullet holes and official evidence markers. It wasn't bloody, so there's no reason to believe Tuttle was wearing it at the time. But, for reasons that are unclear, authorities tagged it as evidence and left it behind at the scene.

Quote:

"How many people have been convicted over the years as a result of sloppy investigations which failed to collect evidence that was there that would have exonerated the suspect?" he said. "If they do it in this kind of a homicide case, what do they do in other kinds of investigations?"

IrishTxAggie
AG
Whoa, Whoa, Whoa!!! They don't have the .357 that they say he used to shoot at the police?!?!? WTF!!!
Guitarsoup
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa!!! They don't have the .357 that they say he used to shoot at the police?!?!? WTF!!!
It says it was not catalogued in the only public search warrant, not that the police don't have it.
Guitarsoup
AG

Quote:

And police said that Tuttle started firing at them, but Maloney's team did not find clear evidence of that.

"The initial bullet trajectories appear to be somewhat contradictory," said Louisiana-based attorney Chuck Bourque, who is also representing the Nicholas family. "We see no evidence that anybody inside the house was firing toward the door."

If Tuttle hit the cops, and with how obviously dirty they were, I hope to hell he did, there wouldn't necessarily be signs of the .357s in the walls or anything like that. Four cops were shot and that .357 probably was a 6-shooter. He may not have missed.
AGHouston11
AG
In the original search warrant it was mentioned the suspect had a 9mm pistol. We now know they never filed an actual legit warrant so he probably never had a 9mm. He had a revolver. It's hard to mix up seeing a 9mm semi hand gun with a revolver. This was the first clue when seeing the warrant released that something was not right possibly.
BBRex
AG
That's some fine shootin' with a wheel gun. Four for four on four different targets in a high-stress gunfight. If he had survived, he could be teaching HPD how to handle a firearm.
Guitarsoup
AG
BBRex said:

That's some fine shootin' with a wheel gun. Four for four on four different targets in a high-stress gunfight. If he had survived, he could be teaching HPD how to handle a firearm.
I've always felt like a double action revolver was easier to shoot accurately than a semi. But yeah, if he got 4/6 on target, he did a pretty incredible job, especially considering the place looked like a hoarder house with **** piled everywhere.
DVC2010
AG
Maybe, but the safest bet is that the police inflicted most of the gunshot wounds on both sides.
BBRex
AG
Yeah, I agree with you. Either he was pretty damn good with a gun or he didn't do all the shooting, and I lean towards the latter.
Guitarsoup
AG
I doubt more than one cop was friendly fire unless it was a full on Training Day situation.
DVC2010
AG
Everything else about this situation was a mess, and I just haven't met many shooters that I would expect to get more than a couple of shots off with that many guys coming through the door. And I have known some really excellent shooters.
Guitarsoup
AG
Distracted by the dog, and the woman diving for the gun, probably thought there wouldn't be a fight put up by a elderly disabled couple, plus on his home turf and the place was a cluster inside. I have no doubt he was able to get off wheel of shots and made several hits before those dirty cops knew what was up.
Ag_07
AG
Guitarsoup said:

I doubt more than one cop was friendly fire unless it was a full on Training Day situation.

I honestly think it's not far from this.

From the bogus warrant to the no knock entry to now the shady evidence collection.

I mean would it surprise anyone if we found the warrant was just a take out Chinese menu they waived around?

Seriously though a bullet riddled shirt that wasn't bloody with evidence markers on it. WTF?
schmellba99
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Quote:

And police said that Tuttle started firing at them, but Maloney's team did not find clear evidence of that.

If Tuttle hit the cops, and with how obviously dirty they were, I hope to hell he did, there wouldn't necessarily be signs of the .357s in the walls or anything like that. Four cops were shot and that .357 probably was a 6-shooter. He may not have missed.
Depends on a lot of factors such as where he hit the LEO's (body armor and/or bone structure) and the type of projectile he had loaded, but a .357 at close range is going to be a through and through on any soft tissue.
schmellba99
AG
Guitarsoup said:

IrishTxAggie said:

It says it was not catalogued in the only public search warrant, not that the police don't have it.
True. But that's kind of a huge piece of evidence and it further bolsters the statement that the entire job was beyond sloppy by HPD - especially when they are on the defensive about it due to such sloppiness. That would be among the first things I had listed catalogued.
IrishTxAggie
AG
schmellba99 said:

Guitarsoup said:

Quote:

Depends on a lot of factors such as where he hit the LEO's (body armor and/or bone structure) and the type of projectile he had loaded, but a .357 at close range is going to be a through and through on any soft tissue.

Maybe he got two birds with one stone on one of them.
Guitarsoup
AG
Ag_07 said:

Guitarsoup said:

I honestly think it's not far from this.

From the bogus warrant to the no knock entry to now the shady evidence collection.

I mean would it surprise anyone if we found the warrant was just a take out Chinese menu they waived around?

Seriously though a bullet riddled shirt that wasn't bloody with evidence markers on it. WTF?
The couple were hoarders and had **** piled up everywhere. The shirt wasn't bloody and had holes - it was probably just laying around and caught some stray bullets since so many were obviously fired. Because it was not in a solid position like a wall or appliance, it isn't all that useful for evidence if it was sitting there, because it doesn't tell you anything such as where the bullet was shot from or direction it was heading.

Don't think anything they said shows shady evidence collection, but these are people hired by the family of two people that were murdered by HPD. Their job is to make the HPD look bad to get the family more money, and hopefully get Art arrested as well. A boy can dream, right?
Guitarsoup
AG
If it was a Training Day scenario where they were trying to off cops that wouldn't flip and go on the take, the major problem here is none of the cops died and none are coming forward.

By not coming forward, they all look as dirty as Goines.
Ag_07
AG
I don't think you've seen Training Day. In that flick he was using staged warrants and bogus raids to shake folks down and pay his debts.

I don't know what the actual motivation in this situation was but I do think Goines and the other heading up this 'investigation and raid' had it out for this couple for some reason. They didn't just randomly pick this house, fake the CI, get a bogus warrant, and execute a no-knock raid just for shlts and giggles.

There's got to be a reason they had it out for this couple.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.