Houston
Sponsored by

2017 DisAstros thread

233,976 Views | 1970 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by swimmerbabe11
Bryan98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BigPuma said:

2020 and 2022 become really expensive years if you try to keep everybody
Bro a meteor may have extinguished all life on Earth by then. Let's go for it now.
The Wonderer
AG
Bryan98 said:

BigPuma said:

2020 and 2022 become really expensive years if you try to keep everybody
Bro a meteor nuclear pissing match may have extinguished all life on Earth by then. Let's go for it now.
FIFY
88jrt06
AG
BigPuma said:

its 3 more years after this season. 28M, 28M, 22M, UFA in 2020.

For those keeping track at home here are they guys you are going to pay soon
Dallas Keuchel - Final year of Arbitration in 2018, UFA scheduled for 2019 unless you get him signed LT this next year. Making 9 mil this year
George Springer - Arbitration eligible through end of 2020. UFA in 2021. Making 3.9 mil this year
Altuve - bought out his arbitration early. Signed through 2019, UFA in 2020. Making 4.5 mil this year
Correa - arbitration eligible for 2019. UFA in 2022. Making 535k this year
McCullers Jr - same as Correa. UFA in 2022. Making 548k this year
Bregman - arb eligible for 2020. UFA in 2023. Making 539.4K this year
(according to sportrac)

Arbitration isn't going to be exactly cheap for some of these guys, but we should be able to afford it, especially if there is a winning product on the field. However,

Just to note: Boras represents Altuve and McCullers. Legacy reps Springer and Correa

So yeah we should be able to afford Verlander. The real question is how serious do you get about buying these guys out of arbitration years early and extending them long term.
Wow. Great analysis.

IMO, it's all about 2017. It's unlikely the AL will EVER set up better for the 'stros than this year, even if we happened -somehow- to put together a better team down the road. Healthy, we're 10 games better than anyone else in the AL, easily. IMO, only the Dodgers are arguably better in all of baseball. The time is NOW.

Let's go get our 2017 Randy Johnson, but this time we'll score playoff runs for him.
We're running out of dependable pitchers right now, regardless...pull the trigger.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
AgLA06 said:

That, and their lack of visibility due to a horrible decisions on broadcast rights.

True statement. I forgot about that one.
BigPuma
AG
And yet we still ended up in 2016 with the the 7th highest revenue from TV rights alone.
Joker98
AG
Exactly, which the window is right now to do everything possible to win a championship. If Luhnow just got gun shy about giving up some prospects, and it costs us a shot at the World Series, I'm going to be really disappointed.
MAS444
AG
With Keuchel and the other starters pitching the way they are now, one arm isn't going to make a big enough difference. Hopefully that changes...
gougler08
AG
Doesn't matter if we had gotten Gray/Quintana/Verlander, etc. if Keuchel and McCullers don't remember how to pitch by the time the postseason comes around. If we lose a series because one of McHugh/Fiers/Morton blow chunks, then I think we'd be right to get mad at the front office
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
If they scrapped a deal for a frontline pitcher for Preston Tuckers little brother I am going to be pissed. I will go on record saying he will be no better than his brother. This isn't a David/Derek Carr thing. This is a David Carr I / David Carr II thing.
The Milkman
AG
I dont think the Tigers really want any prospects anyway. They just want to unload the next couple years of Verlanders salary.

And even so, who cares that much about protecting our prospects. They are just prospects. AJ Reed and Tyler White were supposed to be incredible prospects as well and all we've seen is they are mendoza line type MLB players. There will always be more prospects.
BMX Bandit
MAS444 said:

With Keuchel and the other starters pitching the way they are now, one arm isn't going to make a big enough difference. Hopefully that changes...

Nailed it.

Chewy
AG
Does anyone know what they're getting from broadcast rights each season? Haven't seen or looked in a while but my family in Victoria still can't watch them on SuddenLink so distribution is still limited I'm guessing.

If I remember correctly FSN Southwest was willing to pay $100 million a season for 10 seasons but the Astros were greedy and stupid.

Draytons two worst business decisions was letting Round Rock be the AAA of the Rangers and the tv network. I understand Round Rock was owned by Nolan who worked for the Rangers at the time and small owner but letting the Rangers into Central Texas while they were winning killed the strangle hold the Astros had on Texas outside of DFW.

Hell, my brother in Victoria is a bigger Rangers fan now because he can't watch the Astros. He goes for who's easiest to follow day in and day out.
schmendeler
AG
Well ****
Al Bula
AG
Drayton's legacy is funding a sh-t bowl for rapists to entertain Waco weirdos.
Liquid Wrench
88jrt06
schmendeler
AG
Lost 4 in a row, 2-8 in our last ten games.
The Wonderer
AG
schmendeler said:

Lost 4 in a row, 2-8 in our last ten games.

Someone find Diggity so we can sacrifice him in order to erase his curse.
jetch17
AG
jpc08
AG
Love the blue and gold throwbacks.

strohag
AG
46 games left. Plenty of time to get our pitching back. Hopefully Keuchel throws a good game today. 12 game lead for division so we should be fine. We were due for a skid.
88jrt06
AG
It's nice to see Springer out there.
Get dialed in, George.
88jrt06
AG
jetch17 said:

LOVE Mark Cuban videos!
The Milkman
AG
That was refreshing to see from Keuchel today
gougler08
AG
The Milkman said:

It was Yuge
88jrt06
AG
The Milkman said:

****ing A.
RABAg04
AG
The Milkman
AG
RABAg04 said:

I missed her
lunchbox
Apparently the Astros traded for Tyler Clippard tonight. I'm ok with that.
Joker98
AG
We needed the depth in the bullpen. Ultimately it's going to come down to how healthy we are going into the playoffs. Hopefully Keuchel is finding his form again, need to see how McCullers comes back from this latest stint on the DL. This is our worst stretch by far. Not only was our pitching bad, but all of a sudden we can't hit either.
txaggie_08
AG
Sure would be nice to get Correa back.
88jrt06
AG
Giles was throwin' smoke, man.
He mad.
David_Puddy
AG
txaggie_08 said:

Agree.....any updates on timing?
The Wonderer
AG
David_Puddy said:

txaggie_08 said:

I think there's another 2-4 weeks recovery/PT. It's only been a month since his surgery.
RABAg04
AG
David_Puddy said:

txaggie_08 said:

They said yesterday he is starting to do some grip exercises and fielding, but didn't say when he would come back.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.