Houston
Sponsored by

2017 DisAstros thread

233,747 Views | 1970 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by swimmerbabe11
Milwaukees Best Light
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have they announced the minor leaguer involved in the trade yet?
979ag
AG
Teoscer Hernandez
gougler08
AG
He was probably our 6th/7th outfielder so was definitely expendable, but hopefully we didn't need him for another big trade
979ag
AG
JEFF LUNHOW IS CHITTING THE BED
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
979ag said:

The Wonderer
AG
979ag said:

What now?
MelvinUdall
979ag said:

You must be the ridiculous trade proposer that calls in on radio stations, "uh yeah would we trade Bregaman for Mike Trout and Albert Pujulos? Seems like a good trade for both teams"
Liquid Wrench
nhayden said:

979ag said:

You must be the ridiculous trade proposer that calls in on radio stations, "uh yeah would we trade Bregaman for Mike Trout and Albert Pujulos? Seems like a good trade for both teams"
Hang on, I'm calling in now.
The Milkman
AG
This sucks. The Dodgers were already better than us and now they've gotten much much better still.

I dont know what you people want with all those minor leaguers. No banners in the rafters for the AAA championship
MelvinUdall
ChiliBeans said:

nhayden said:

979ag said:

Hang on, I'm calling in now.

Hahahahaha! Well if you are calling into local AM you are a loser, only the cool people call into Sirius/XM Bean and the Blitz, they are the best and blow away AM local shows.
MelvinUdall
The Milkman said:

This sucks. The Dodgers were already better than us and now they've gotten much much better still.

I dont know what you people want with all those minor leaguers. No banners in the rafters for the AAA championship

Eh, there were no true game changers out there and quite frankly I didn't want to trade for middle tier starter.
Chewy
AG
If Liriano can hold his line against lefties out of the pen this is a GREAT deal for the Astros right now. Gray, Darvish, and Britton were asking too much.

For this team to get back on track we need Keuchel and McCullers to return to early season form and figure out 3-5 along with a normal bullpen situation use.

I think the best moves are the moves you don't make. We once got Randy Johnson and Carlos Beltran and it did nothing for the team to advance any further than normal. Liriano fills the most glaring hole if he can continue to dominate lefties out of the pen.

I like what we did and didn't do. This may not be our year but the pieces are there if they all fall back into place where they were to start the year.

I don't blame Lunhow one bit for what happened today. If he has one blame it's not moving Bergman for Sale as that would have been a game changer.
Joker98
AG
At the very least, Luhnow will open himself up to criticism if we fail to make the world series. I'm not saying he deserves to be fired or anything extreme like that, (this is TexAgs, after all) but the fact remains that teams that are looking up at us in the standings made move designed to beat us.

I disagree that the Randy Johnson and Beltran trades back in the day didn't matter. Of course getting those guys didn't guarantee a World Series, but you have to go into the playoffs with the best team possible. Both those guys made those respective teams better.
JJxvi
AG
nm
JJxvi
AG
What did the Dodgers give up for Darvish?
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Quote:

Morosi reported that second baseman/outfielder Willie Calhoun, who is the Dodgers' No. 4-ranked prospect according to MLBPipeline.com, right-hander A.J. Alexy (No. 17) and infielder Brendon Davis (No. 27) were sent to Texas.
Chewy
AG
I wonder if the Rangers were demanding more from the Astros than the Dodgers because of in state rivalry.

That's similar to what NY gave up for Gray it seems.

I'd given equal that for Darvish.

And no doubt Lunhow opened himself up to criticism. The thing with me though is if this entire staff can get back to where it was to start the season it's good enough to win it all. McCullers is the big head scratcher right now.
sts7049
AG
welp, now mccullers is on the DL again
Joker98
AG
They may be good enough still, for sure, but the competition got better. Let's see what happens. Also keep in mind that this was just the non-waiver trade deadline. There could still be some pieces that clear waivers that can help us.
Chewy
AG
That sucks on McCullers and hopefully explains his ineffectiveness since coming back. I believe Keuchel will get back to his form but if McCullers can't get back to legit #2 status it'll be tough for this team to win it all.

Gray I'm not big on from a playoff standpoint but thought Darvish would net more in return. He can be homer prone but he was definitely the best arm out there hands down.

I still hope this is the Royals team from 2 years ago that has a solid 1-9, decent but not spectacular starters, and a solid bullpen.

Get everybody back and healthy by mid September and I like our chances this year and going forward in future seasons.
The Milkman
AG
Weren't you just saying we are already good enough? Or was that dependent on McCullers?

If you have a chance to sell unknowns with prospects to make yourself better I believe you have to do it. If you don't go into September as the best team in baseball and the favorite to win the World Series, you need to make a change to try and be that team.

There isn't anything to be gained by being the division favorite for the next 5-10 years if you aren't the World Series favorite as well. Ask the 1990s Braves
sts7049
AG
the article said mccullers was trying to tough it out until some of the other guys like keuchel came back. so it probably hasn't been right since he got off the DL himself.
JJxvi
AG
The Milkman said:

Weren't you just saying we are already good enough? Or was that dependent on McCullers?

If you have a chance to sell unknowns with prospects to make yourself better I believe you have to do it. If you don't go into September as the best team in baseball and the favorite to win the World Series, you need to make a change to try and be that team.

There isn't anything to be gained by being the division favorite for the next 5-10 years if you aren't the World Series favorite as well. Ask the 1990s Braves

Id kill for the Astros to be the 1992 or whatever Braves right now going forward.
BMX Bandit
The Milkman said:

the braves were the World Series favorites many of those years.
The Milkman
AG
JJxvi said:

The Milkman said:

Id kill for the Astros to be the 1992 or whatever Braves right now going forward.

I'd rather win a title, and then put the pieces back together later. Like the late 2000s Phillies. Win one, make it again.
JJxvi
AG
This Phillies went to back to back world
Series and went 1 for 2. Made the playoffs 5 times.

The Braves also won one world series, and made it there 5 times with 14 playoff appearances in a row. The ****ing Phillies?

The Milkman
AG
I was referring to the Braves winning 1 WS out of 14 straight postseason appearances. That is an all time MLB disappointment. What could have been a historic dynasty was instead a team that was just always pretty good. I don't want to be "pretty good" for 5-10 years. I want to win a damn title
MelvinUdall
The Milkman said:

I was referring to the Braves winning 1 WS out of 14 straight postseason appearances. That is an all time MLB disappointment. What could have been a historic dynasty was instead a team that was just always pretty good. I don't want to be "pretty good" for 5-10 years. I want to win a damn title

Well for all the b****ing about them not making a deal on pitching, the Braves pitching staff was one of the best around with 3 HOF and the #4 in Avery were damn good and aHOF 3rd baseman in Chipper Jones, and McGriff at 1st. I can't exactly recall what more they needed to add, probably a bat given their pitching. I know they made trades during that period that did not pan out. I guess my point is that there is quite a bit of luck that goes into this along with good players and while the Braves failed they were a damn good team.
Liquid Wrench
Going tomorrow.

Anyone know how crazy Jackson St. BBQ is before the game? I don't remember the details of the parking deal there. I know it's been discussed here before but I wasn't paying attention.

TIA for any advice.
jetch17
AG
its fuggin $1 hot dog night. forget Jackson St and go jam wieners in your mouth

sts7049
AG
go to Biggio's instead
David_Puddy
AG
jetch17 said:

its fuggin $1 hot dog night. forget Jackson St and go jam wieners in your mouth

Liquid Wrench
You're making me a little uncomfortable.

I still would appreciate input, so to speak, since this won't be the last game we go to.
jetch17
AG
In a less uncomfortable fashion, it's dollar fugging hotdog night. Go throw down with the Tines finest and spend the rest on booze
Liquid Wrench
Wednesdays are also dollar hotdogs at Fuddruckers if you want to make a whole day of it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.