Metroplex
Sponsored by

97.1 The Freak

84,808 Views | 554 Replies | Last: 14 days ago by AgBQ-00
Old School Brother
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Will this thing be a Ticket killer or a stupid experiment that's gone in a year?
txag2008
AG
Saw Rhyner at lunch today. We asked him if we could light a firecracker under his chair. He said no. It was worth a shot. Then we told him to have a nice vacation (even though I'm secretly dreading having to listen to Danny in the morning for the upcoming weeks. Two hours is about all I can take of Danny).
Jack Ruby
FRY STREET
AgGrad99
AG
Do they have a app, for those outside the metroplex?
Hincemm
AG
what happened to greggo?
BoDog
AG
Hincemm said:

what happened to greggo?
Not exactly Mr. Current Events!
The Pilot
AG
Maybe they can poach Norm too.
hoosier-daddy
What does "F1" mean? I just moved to Dallas a couple months ago and am still yet to figure this out
True Anomaly
AG
Sirois's new show will focus exclusively on NFTs and large sea mammals. Maybe golf too
Old School Brother
Don't forget about collectibles. He'll definitely be pimping Cash's new outfit.
Moe Jzyslak
AG
Doing the Greggo
FTAco07
AG
AgGrad99 said:

Didn't I Heart Radio basically invent the streaming radio app concept? I'm pretty sure they have an app that streams most/all of their stations.
Brad 98
AG
I have already programed 97.1 in my radio dial. I am a big Jeff C fan. I did not know he was battling depression. His he married or engaged yet, or did they break up?
AgGrad99
AG
FTAco07 said:

AgGrad99 said:

Didn't I Heart Radio basically invent the streaming radio app concept? I'm pretty sure they have an app that streams most/all of their stations.
Didn't know they were an iheart radio station.

I'll check out their app. thanks.
Hincemm
AG
are y'all suggesting i go somewhere else for my sports talk?
wbt5845
AG
Is there a timeline for this? The Ticket is just awful except for The Musers. But even they are getting lamer with time.
TexasAggie008
AG
It doesn't seem to be in the cards as of now, but out of curiosity:

Would TC being a part of the crew be a thumbs up or a thumbs down for y'all?

I'm an IJB fan and have grown to appreciate him more and more over the years, but I know he's a polarizing dude when it comes to the P1 masses ….
The Pilot
AG
Thumbs down.
EastSideAg2002
Maybe they can trade Ben and Skin, a couple of future 1st rounders, and cash considerations for Gordo and Bob.
Danny Vermin
I'll give it a shot but the first time they go woke I'm outta there.
chick79
AG
P1 instead of F1? Unless we're taking about tornados. I predict epic fail for this venture. The Ticket will always survive. This could come down to a battle with The Fan. But as long as The Fan has the Cowboys and the Rangers they're not going away. I think this is just a money grab by Rhynes and I don't blame him for doing it!
Chewy
AG
Is this the thing that's been going on more than we realized?
TexasAggie008
AG
Danny Vermin said:

As a not-lib whose listened to both IJb's for many years now: I can tell you for certain current TC wouldn't even crack the "2022 most Woke / virtue-signaling Ticket personalities" top 5 list.

definitely still a Bernie bro and always will be (which is fine), and he'll regularly "talk politics" in some form with Jake… but of the two, he's routinely the more logical/rational/glass half full guy.. and overall seems to have finally learned that there's more to life than living and dying by politics/election results .. and can just laugh it off.

So yeah … from spring 2020 to today, I've heard more emotional/indignant political takes from (obviously) Jake but also Gordo, Bob, Danny, probably even Craig / George than I have from TC.
hoosier-daddy
Danny Vermin said:

bless your heart
Ag CPA
AG
chick79 said:

P1 instead of F1? Unless we're taking about tornados. I predict epic fail for this venture. The Ticket will always survive. This could come down to a battle with The Fan. But as long as The Fan has the Cowboys and the Rangers they're not going away. I think this is just a money grab by Rhynes and I don't blame him for doing it!
The Ticket is only as good as its talent and they really don't have a bench anymore, if this takes off I would not be surprised to see more guys jump ship.
AgLaw
AG
Ag CPA said:

chick79 said:

The Ticket is only as good as its talent and they really don't have a bench anymore, if this takes off I would not be surprised to see more guys jump ship.

You got to wonder what the money is like on the iHeart Radio side. With Danny, Sirois and Julie resurfacing, it's easy to connect dots to Mike's offers to them and their sudden departures from The Ticket. Not a stretch to say he offered them more, they asked the Ticket if they wanted to counter and Cumulus said no.

Why would they try this? Probably because it worked out that way for Jake and Bob. Remember Jake's absence earlier this year? Dan joked that it was a negotiation strategy. It also explains why Bob moved to the HL. More air time in prime time means more money.

This will all make for a great book some day.

(Taking off his tinfoil hat and nodding knowingly)
The Shank Ag
Brad 98 said:

I have already programed 97.1 in my radio dial. I am a big Jeff C fan. I did not know he was battling depression. His he married or engaged yet, or did they break up?

Amanda took a bigger TV gig in Florida 2 years ago. They did the long distance thing for 6 months and it didn't work out and unfortunately Jeff tailspun a bit. Mix that with really disliking the format change and continuously getting talked over/ridden by Mike Bacsik, he walked away from The Fan, and then it really hit him hard. No job, no girl, nothing really to hang his hat on, and got admitted for a short time. Seems to be doing really well the past 18 months or so with therapy.

Filled in a ton with B&S during Skin's cancer treatment, then joined the show for a daily segment. Happy he's getting his own show again, though I'm still really interested to see how he's going to mix with Sirois. Two VERY different personalities. Though I'm guessing, with being as close to Ben and Skin as he is, and Sirois girl Krystina being their board Op, they've probably interacted enough to feel they can work well together.
Ol Jock 99
AG
I haven't been in the car as much lately....when did Julie leave?

I liked the Eagle for my "when the Ticket is on commercial break" station. But I don't see them challenging the mothership.
AgGrad99
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

I haven't been in the car as much lately....when did Julie leave?

I liked the Eagle for my "when the Ticket is on commercial break" station. But I don't see them challenging the mothership.

She left a while back (over a year ago), to be home with the kiddos. But she's on periodically as she fills in from time to time.
Ol Jock 99
AG
I could have sworn I heard her filling in a week or two ago.

Going from "fill in to spend time with the kids" to "4 hour midday host" is quite the time commitment jump.
Goldie Wilson
Ol Jock 99 said:

Going from "fill in to spend time with the kids" to "4 hour midday host" is quite the time commitment jump.
With respect to the Ticket, I think the choice was between doing Tickers for $12/hr and paying for childcare, or just staying home with her kids. I could be wrong, but I didn't really think it was just about time commitment.
PatAg
AG
Goldie Wilson said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

With respect to the Ticket, I think the choice was between doing Tickers for $12/hr and paying for childcare, or just staying home with her kids. I could be wrong, but I didn't really think it was just about time commitment.
Pretty sure you have it right
The Collective
AG
I too like Jeff and am pulling for him.
ElephantRider
AG
The Shank Ag said:

Brad 98 said:

Amanda took a bigger TV gig in Florida 2 years ago. They did the long distance thing for 6 months and it didn't work out and unfortunately Jeff tailspun a bit. Mix that with really disliking the format change and continuously getting talked over/ridden by Mike Bacsik, he walked away from The Fan, and then it really hit him hard. No job, no girl, nothing really to hang his hat on, and got admitted for a short time. Seems to be doing really well the past 18 months or so with therapy.

Filled in a ton with B&S during Skin's cancer treatment, then joined the show for a daily segment. Happy he's getting his own show again, though I'm still really interested to see how he's going to mix with Sirois. Two VERY different personalities. Though I'm guessing, with being as close to Ben and Skin as he is, and Sirois girl Krystina being their board Op, they've probably interacted enough to feel they can work well together.

He's been very open for a long time about his mental health struggles.

Bacsik went to K&C a while before Jeff quit, so I don't know how much that had to do with it. As a person who primarily listens to The Fan, losing Jeff was tough. I'm honestly not a big fan of Gavin Dawson, but the other people on his show have carried it IMO. Didn't know what would happen when Jeff left the show, but the two guys they promoted from the night show are pretty good.

I'll give The Freak a shot. I already listen to Ben & Skin from time to time.
WC87
AG
I hope the Bottlerockets get a gig, man that was a sweet show.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.