Metroplex
Sponsored by

97.1 The Freak

89,901 Views | 570 Replies | Last: 14 hrs ago by chick79
hoosier-daddy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
shiftyandquick said:

the most important thing Rhyner said was that maybe the Freak "takes down the Ticket." Rhyner knows exactly what the stakes are here. And this isn't simply a joy ride. He says he is in it to win it.

I didn't take it that way at all. He laughed at the notion of it being newsworthy & controversial in any other city that a new talk radio station was firing up. Said there are 8 million people in DFW, implying there are plenty of people to have something for everyone.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Rhyner thinking anyone wants to listen to him anymore, let alone enough people want to listen to him to take down the ticket, is comical. He is just coming off as a bitter old man and is destroying relationships along the way. If he doesn't care about that or felt that those relationships were already bad, well then okay. But that seems to be a one way street.

Seems like he may regret this one day. But maybe he truly doesn't give a **** and is fine not hanging out with or speaking to the guys that helped build the ticket into something special. It's a weird thing to do and by all accounts (including his own) he seems to have gone about this in the wrong way (if he has any desire to maintain friendship with the ticket guys).
aggielostinETX
AG
The best part about all this is how much all of y'all seem to have fallen in love with Corby. You also have to realize that I don't think Rhyner was quite the mentor to Corby that Corby thinks he was.

It's like all of y'all forgot at the end how bad Corby and Rhyner were together. It was almost painful to listen to because of who Corby had become an Rhyner was sick of his ***** I personally don't think Rhyner left the ticket, I think he left Corby.
ac04
corby is almost universally disliked here. some folks tolerate him but i can't think of any outspoken fans. and it has been that way for a decade or more. who is it that has "fallen in love" with him?
shiftyandquick
AggieLostinDallas said:

The best part about all this is how much all of y'all seem to have fallen in love with Corby. You also have to realize that I don't think Rhyner was quite the mentor to Corby that Corby thinks he was.

It's like all of y'all forgot at the end how bad Corby and Rhyner were together. It was almost painful to listen to because of who Corby had become an Rhyner was sick of his ***** I personally don't think Rhyner left the ticket, I think he left Corby.
I'd be bitter too if I woke up every morning realizing I was going to talk to Corby for several hours. Or rather, get talked at by Corby. Hell on earth.
Jeff99
A few observations:
--Morning show is an awkward mess that hurts to listen to. Zero rapport and chemistry. Should have forced these people to sit in a room together a few days to see if they could build some sort of cohesion.
--Rhyner sincerely confusing NIL and LIV and not getting his arse whipped for it by his cohorts is a massive problem.
--Shows feel ill-prepared and struggling to come up with material to fill segments.

I would love this to work and be an alternative to The Ticket or at least push the Ticket a bit, but for now..."This team sucks."
mavsfan4ever
AG
ac04 said:

corby is almost universally disliked here. some folks tolerate him but i can't think of any outspoken fans. and it has been that way for a decade or more. who is it that has "fallen in love" with him?

No kidding. Bashing rhyner for his give up and lack of entertainment value is not falling in love with Corby. There isn't a better way to show that you don't keep up with the ticket thread than by saying people love Corby. It's constant Corby bashing.
bthotugigem05
AG
For those of you waiting to see how long it would take OGW to flub the station name, he did a full-voiced "on the Ticket" at about 6:30 last night.

Matsui
AG
good hearing Mike's voice again
txag2008
AG
Hah weird, that's my next door neighbor. Small world.
AgBQ-00
AG
Sirois stories are quite entertaining
Chewy
AG
No doubt. Sirois has lived a life. I think that's what makes him so intriguing.
johnnyblaze36
AG
txag2008 said:

Hah weird, that's my next door neighbor. Small world.
DJ Merritt of EDGE Club fame is? Nice.

As for this from above:

Quote:

Rhyner thinking anyone wants to listen to him anymore, let alone enough people want to listen to him to take down the ticket, is comical.
I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I fall directly into the category of someone that is very interested in listening to him again (plus Grubes is a huge bonus for me) and tuned out the Ticket many years ago mostly after a good 15 year run or so. I haven't given it a shot this week yet but reading the comments here is interesting.

Sounds kind of all over the place after the first few days but anything that hurts Corby's feelings is just alright with me.

OldAg92
AG
Absolutely insane take re: the morning show. The chemistry is incredible. Cavanaugh and KT have been close friends for years, and roommates at one point. They worked together at The Fan and also at The Eagle before the format switch this week. Of all the takes that I have seen in various places about the new station, the most consistent one is that The Speakeasy (morning show) has amazing chemistry so quickly into this run
johnnyblaze36
AG
I was just about to ask who are these people on the morning show? Not familiar with them but you answered most of the question before I could post it.

mavsfan4ever
AG
If you hadn't tuned out the ticket many years ago, I don't think you'd be very interested in rhyner these days. Perhaps you tuned out before his 100% give up kicked in. But even if Mike is putting forth effort, he's just not my cup of tea. I find him very boring and don't find him funny. So you probably like him better than I do.

I love Sirois, and have flipped over a few times in the evenings to give it a shot. Maybe it's just bad timing but each of the 3-4 times I've turned it on I've been spared to death bc it's Rhyner talking about something boring (his radio history, baseball, baseball, and "get to know questions).

If they let Sirois take control maybe it can be Interesting. But I feel bad for Sirois, going from Norm to Rhyner. It's a slight upgrade but still drastically hampers what Sirois could do with a legit sidekick host.
Corps_Ag12
AG
I hope this fails miserably so I can selfishly have 97.1 The Eagle back. I was just starting to enjoy Ben & Skin too.
AgBQ-00
AG
I enjoy the new station. But I was not a long time listener to the Ticket. My main afternoon drive was Galloway before he retired. I enjoyed Ben & Skin since their first stint on 105.3. All of the others I have enjoyed at their various stops as well. So this mash-up of talent and the free form discussion format really is easy for me to listen to and get many laughs from each day.

If you are expecting it to be a sports station, this is not going to be your cup of tea probably. But, if you listen with the mindset that it is something new and that it won't be and is not trying to be anything other than on air talent hanging out and talking about what they want, you will probably enjoy it.

Looking forward to see how they grow and enjoy watching what all comes about with it.
Albatross Necklace
johnnyblaze36 said:

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I fall directly into the category of someone that is very interested in listening to him again (plus Grubes is a huge bonus for me) and tuned out the Ticket many years ago mostly after a good 15 year run or so.
This.

The amount I listened to the Ticket has plummeted since COVID. Part of it is due to work from home/less commute, but a bigger part is that it has become stale.

When a segment is teased, I can accurately predict the response of every host before the segment begins. It has become predictable and uninteresting.

I'm hopeful that The Freak may offer something new and/or force The Ticket to make some changes.
MaroonDontRun
AG
Albatross Necklace said:

johnnyblaze36 said:

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I fall directly into the category of someone that is very interested in listening to him again (plus Grubes is a huge bonus for me) and tuned out the Ticket many years ago mostly after a good 15 year run or so.
This.

The amount I listened to the Ticket has plummeted since COVID. Part of it is due to work from home/less commute, but a bigger part is that it has become stale.

When a segment is teased, I can accurately predict the response of every host before the segment begins. It has become predictable and uninteresting.

I'm hopeful that The Freak may offer something new and/or force The Ticket to make some changes.
I completely agree with this view and when you add the PC outlook of most of the hosts at The Ticket it really just rubs me the wrong way.

I am really hoping that the Freak will stay away from being PC on anything. I realize that many in this type of venture are typically more PC than those in my circle but you don't have to bring it into discussions.
OldAg92
AG
Ben & Skin are still on. 11-3 daily
TexasAggie008
AG
Yeah, it sucks knowing with 1000% certainty that every ticket host voted for Biden

And every ticket host was in lockstep when it came to covid/masks etc
Bunbury
AG
TexasAggie008 said:

Yeah, it sucks knowing with 1000% certainty that every ticket host voted for Biden

And every ticket host was in lockstep when it came to covid/masks etc

This is either the best troll or saddest post I've seen in quite some time.
jwag
AG
Politics. Fun.
Albatross Necklace
jwag said:

Politics. Fun.
This is my exact response any time The Ticket touches anything slightly related to Politics, COVID, Vaccines, BLM, etc.

Unfortunately, those topics find there way into a decent portion of their segments.
Matsui
AG
gave it a listen for a bit yesterday afternoon. Hopefully it polishes up and they have some sort of format
TexasAggie008
AG
Albatross Necklace said:

jwag said:

Politics. Fun.
This is my exact response any time The Ticket touches anything slightly related to Politics, COVID, Vaccines, BLM, etc.

Unfortunately, those topics find there way into a decent portion of their segments.

Yep
aggieswin12
Albatross Necklace said:

jwag said:

Politics. Fun.

With your posting history, you would think you would welcome politics.
TexasAggie008
AG
But bottom line - some of you think it's healthy that the entire ticket is aligned politically? That there isn't one dissenting voice?
Goldie Wilson
TexasAggie008 said:

But bottom line - some of you think it's healthy that the entire ticket is aligned politically? That there isn't one dissenting voice?
healthy…for a sports radio station? What does that even mean
aggieswin12
Lets be real here, people get more upset because the ticket isn't politically aligned with their beliefs more than them injecting politics.
powerbelly
AG
TexasAggie008 said:

Yes. It doesn't matter at all. Not even a little bit.
walton91
Albatross Necklace said:

jwag said:

Politics. Fun.

So are you expecting the Freak to keep these topics off the air? They are general talk with some sports, not to mention a lot of former Ticket people, so I think you will still be hearing the same things talked about on the new station
MaroonDontRun
AG
aggieswin12 said:

Lets be real here, people get more upset because the ticket isn't politically aligned with their beliefs more than them injecting politics.
For me, it's more about the fact that I really don't care how they line up politically and would rather not know this at all. I don't tune into non-political programming to get political. I tune into this type of programming to get away from politics.
Danny Vermin
We will see. I did DM one if the hosts on the Freak about why I would be switching and it was because of the leftist b.s. on the Ticket. He assured me they would stay away from politics for the most part because he's heard from thousands of conservative listeners about why they don't listen to the ticket anymore. We will see if that comes to fruition

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.