Metroplex
Sponsored by

97.1 The Freak

89,780 Views | 570 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by chick79
The Shank Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BoDog said:

For the few mins that I could to listen, this was radio gold! Forgot how much I liked that show (even with yuck monkey, Corby).

Can anyone give the cliff's notes version to how/when they reconciled and where they are today? Also, what is Grego doing these days for a paycheck?
Cliffs notes:

Rhyner documentary was made a couple years ago. Woman making it asked if she could bring Greggo in. Rhyner said ok and that he would play nice. They didn't spend a ton of time together, but that was the first softening. A few random texts after. Finally, Rhyner called on Monday and invited him to do the show with them on Wednesday.

It was Sirois' idea for the last real ratings day of the year. Danny told him not to even bring it up because there was no chance. Sirois did anyway and Mike was on board and made the call.

Ben and Skin had Rhyner on their non-compete podcast in early 2020 between their leaving the fan for the eagle. They and Rhyner himself mentioned a recent softening of his attitudes. Reaching out and reconciling with people he used to view as the enemy (Randy Galloway, B&S, etc).
mavsfan4ever
AG
BoDog said:

Also, what is Grego doing these days for a paycheck?

Im interested in this as well. Did they mention what he's doing for work/money these days?
Trajan88
AG
Believe I read that Greggo lives in Gainesville/Valley View.

That was a couple years ago though.

Is he into ranching... cattle or quarter horses, possibly?
BoomGoesThe
On the show yesterday, he said he lives in Grapevine now.
The Shank Ag
BoomGoesThe said:

On the show yesterday, he said he lives in Grapevine now.

Before the two heart attacks in one day incident, he was riding the grapevine trails upwards of 40 miles a day… well at least in hammer's words
AW 1880
AG
I know it would never happen, but they should bring Greggo on the air more often. I've said it a lot, but the balance HL of the early 2000s was the best. Greggo's countryness, Corby's shockingness, and Danny's one liners were a perfect balance to Rhynes.
Old School Brother
Trajan88 said:

Believe I read that Greggo lives in Gainesville/Valley View.

That was a couple years ago though.

Is he into ranching... cattle or quarter horses, possibly?
He lived in Gainesville a few years ago with his girlfriend at the time. I'm from Gainesville and was living back there for a couple of years during the time he was there. He and his girlfriend rented a house in the historic district a couple blocks from me. i know the folks who bought and renovated the house after they moved out. Apparently, they tore it up pretty bad. He mentioned today some relapses in the past. Not sure one or more of them were during that time.
Hincemm
AG
enjoying the speakeasy with musers on dry dock
dcAg
The Ticket is basically the same show all day with little nuances with the different hosts. They are mandated to talk sports a certain amount of time and the Cowboys a certain amount of time every day. The format sucks.

You can tell that Danny and Rhyner are re-energized basically because they dont have to put up with OU bandwagonner and unprepared Corby every day. He brings NOTHING to the radio.

Sirois is Sirois and he is awesome! You can tell the Freak is doing well because the advertising is filling up. That is the true tell of how the station is doing.
Hincemm
AG
dcAg said:

Sirois is Sirois and he is awesome! You can tell the Freak is doing well because the advertising is filling up. That is the true tell of how the station is doing.
the sponsors are essentially the same, outside of the collectible network, which is kinda funny to me.
Ervin Burrell
AG
dcAg said:

The Ticket is basically the same show all day with little nuances with the different hosts. They are mandated to talk sports a certain amount of time and the Cowboys a certain amount of time every day. The format sucks.

You can tell that Danny and Rhyner are re-energized basically because they dont have to put up with OU bandwagonner and unprepared Corby every day. He brings NOTHING to the radio.

I'll grant you Corby often comes to air unprepared, but did you even listen to the HL the last handful of years? Mike could not have been more checked out/unprepared...and Danny has never been too far behind.
walton91
The little that I have listened to the Downbeat, Mike has sounded pretty much the same as I remember
clobby
AG
I think the rejuvenation is because they are free to talk about whatever they want now and aren't required to do so many sports segments. Its just a general talk show, which is probably more enjoyable.
thriller03
AG
I know that over many years the Ticket went from local sports talk/call-in to something much different (no or very few callers, much more non-sports stuff), but they are still a sports station. It's probably not for everybody, but most of the guys that are there came up doing sports talk and many of them still want to talk sports. I'll give you that Craig and George are fairly predictable and Norm is Norm, but Dan/Jake and Bob all have some fairly insightful thoughts on the local teams.

As a listener who used to be able to follow sports a lot more than I can now with a 5 year old and a busier schedule, I like that the Ticket keeps me fairly in tune with the goings on of the local teams and relevant competition (NFC East, etc). It's helpful when I can sit down and watch a whole game to have a feel for what's been going on.

I guess I just don't understand why it bothers people so much that Dallas' first local sports radio station who built itself with sports personalities still talks a fair amount of sports.
dcAg
Ervin,
Totally agree with you.

Also you can still listen to "The Eagle" it is on 97.1 HD2. Go to the Freak and "tune" your radio just one notch and you will get The Eagle. At least that is how I got it.
AgBQ-00
AG
The discussion about wrapping snakes for Christmas was belly laugh hysterical for me.
johnnyblaze36
AG
thriller03 said:

I know that over many years the Ticket went from local sports talk/call-in to something much different (no or very few callers, much more non-sports stuff), but they are still a sports station. It's probably not for everybody, but most of the guys that are there came up doing sports talk and many of them still want to talk sports. I'll give you that Craig and George are fairly predictable and Norm is Norm, but Dan/Jake and Bob all have some fairly insightful thoughts on the local teams.

As a listener who used to be able to follow sports a lot more than I can now with a 5 year old and a busier schedule, I like that the Ticket keeps me fairly in tune with the goings on of the local teams and relevant competition (NFC East, etc). It's helpful when I can sit down and watch a whole game to have a feel for what's been going on.

I guess I just don't understand why it bothers people so much that Dallas' first local sports radio station who built itself with sports personalities still talks a fair amount of sports.
Well, that dbag Skip Bayless uttered the first words on the station. Then it eventually morphed into something completely different that was irreverent, funny, and was the only SPORTS talk radio station that I knew of to do such a thing.

As for dave94-my apologies to you for saying your opinion on Grubes sucks and appreciate the clarification. He's read this thread a couple of times and said to me "Well to be fair to that guy, I agree that I'm not that interesting on air". Classic self-deprecating Michael.

He's still my leader though, and I expect three bobbleheads now to arrive before Christmas but will still settle for just the unicorn one that fires John Frusciante riffs out its behind. .

EllisCoAg
AG
must of had a great two months as they are replaying their greatest hits during dry dock. Some of it still better that the Ticket's b-team though.
I wanna see our defense pissed off, not confused, maybe a little murder in their hearts Reload12, 11/4/11
The Shank Ag
When you don't have a bench yet, you kind of have to do best of.

Eventually you hope to get advertising to a point you can afford you main roster easily and start adding back-ups.
The Shank Ag
Won tickets a couple weeks ago to the Mavs game tonight during the downbeat…. The Freak will forever be on my amazing list after getting to witness tonight's Luka Magic
Hincemm
AG
This?

Hincemm
AG
Nvm. This person won their tix from speakeasy
hoosier-daddy
AG
I hope its not a section 8 board op retread
MonkeyKnifeFighter
Hincemm
AG
it's basically white elephant; move around hosts. not bad. sirois/jeff/kristina this morning
The Shank Ag
Hincemm said:

it's basically white elephant; move around hosts. not bad. sirois/jeff/kristina this morning
Yep, 100% a rip off of white elephant for Friday the 13th, aka Freaky Friday

They were a pretty good trio

Rhyner, Ben, and Julie now

KT, Skin, and Danny for the drive home. Betting this one will be very music heavy.
Ol Jock 99
AG
2nd best complete rip-off after having a Saturday morning golf show?
The Shank Ag
Nah, best rip off so far was the intro the day The Hammer came on the show.

Guitar riff, THE DOWNBEAT, Guitar Riff, Guitar Riff, THE DOWNBEAT, Guitar Riff
johnnyblaze36
AG
The Shank Ag said:

Hincemm said:

Yep, 100% a rip off of white elephant for Friday the 13th, aka Freaky Friday

They were a pretty good trio

Rhyner, Ben, and Julie now

KT, Skin, and Danny for the drive home. Betting this one will be very music heavy.
They did a full 2 segments on the "anatomy of a song"-one of the *******s of Soul tracks that was written by Chadwick Murray before he died but had never been recorded. First time they ever released the track was on air tonight. I thought it was great and worth listening to once it's up this evening.
FriscoKid
AG
Gil Renard
AG
thriller03 said:

There was nothing else basically
Hincemm
AG
new danny song...very funny

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/53-the-downbeat-103022465/episode/012523-500-fundrive-dannys-names-song-107839697/?cmp=web_share&embed=true
Spaceship
AG
Hincemm said:

new danny song...very funny

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/53-the-downbeat-103022465/episode/012523-500-fundrive-dannys-names-song-107839697/?cmp=web_share&embed=true

Funny but the set up was way too long.
walton91
New bit...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.