Metroplex
Sponsored by

97.1 The Freak

89,698 Views | 570 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by chick79
Corps_Ag12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
dave94 said:

I thought the shoopy stuff was funny back in the day, now it's just eye rolling. He really doesn't have that much to bring to the table.

I've tuned back into the Freak a little bit in the last couple of weeks, and overall the shows just aren't that entertaining.

Can't wait for them to bring back The Eagle format.
johnnyblaze36
AG
dave94 said:

I thought the shoopy stuff was funny back in the day, now it's just eye rolling. He really doesn't have that much to bring to the table.

I've tuned back into the Freak a little bit in the last couple of weeks, and overall the shows just aren't that entertaining.
Each to their own. I'd rather listen to Grubes utter literally anything in two seconds than hear Corby speak for a minute or longer. The former is a good dude and the latter is a total loser.
johnnyblaze36
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

johnnyblaze36 said:

The Pilot said:

I've listened very little to the new station but when he was at the ticket he was great with drops but never gave me the impression that he'd be great cohost.
I thought everyone loved Grubes. I'm probably biased but is he even really a "co-host" on the Downbeat? Haven't listened enough yet but the little that I have he seems to be the same ol' Shoopy just chiming in here and there and fulfilling his role as the king of drops.

He's a producer, not a host.
He's not a producer. He's just a board-op. A real simpleton if you will. A common man and champion of the people..

Guy just wants to help the show when he can. Anybody can do his job but nobody can do it better. And I have it on full authority that he's having the time of his life.

*I hope Grubes reads this and mails me the entire bobblehead collection. If anything, I need the unicorn one.
dave94
AG
Okay, I'll say it. Grubes comes from money so that's why he can just do whatever. He left the Ticket initially to go back to school and bailed out of that to become the music/drop guy for the rough riders and then the Stars. He was a great board Op, but what else does he really have? I'm not hating on him, but I don't get why so many people think he has any creative or poignant things to say.

Exactly, I mean…
Spaceship
AG
He can't even fix a horse's bones.
Ag CPA
AG
He's just a likable guy that interacts with people and makes them feel good. Given all of the d-bags in DFW it's a nice role to fill.
johnnyblaze36
AG
dave94 said:

Okay, I'll say it. Grubes comes from money so that's why he can just do whatever. He left the Ticket initially to go back to school and bailed out of that to become the music/drop guy for the rough riders and then the Stars. He was a great board Op, but what else does he really have? I'm not hating on him, but I don't get why so many people think he has any creative or poignant things to say.

Exactly, I mean…
Your entire post says otherwise. So the guy has successful parents with money and to you that's why "he can just do whatever"? This is a ridiculous take.

You don't run PA for the Stars and Rangers without some level of talent. Sure, family connections can get you a start in life but then you've got to build your own journey which is exactly what he's done. And if there has ever been a better board-op in radio history I'd love to hear of them.

As I said previously, maybe I'm biased because I've been friends with the dude for 15 years, but in the end you don't have to be poignant every minute on air to bring something to the table. And as for being creative, c'mon. The timeliness of his drops is the definition of creativity.

Each to their own on this but I just think that your opinion sucks.

mavsfan4ever
AG
He meant he can do whatever, as in take low paying board op jobs and the stars/rangers jobs, because he comes from money. Most people can't do that after a while and would go to school or find another job, like he started to do before deciding against it, because they actually have to make a living.

He's a good board op. But the board ops after he left the ticket have shown that a lot of people can be good Board ops.
dave94
AG
Haha, I definitely don't hate Grubes for his success. It's been earned as you laid out.

Now Corby, that's another story.
aggielostinETX
AG
https://www.instagram.com/p/Clz-55TMfD2/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=
dvldog
AG
Counter programming Ticket white elephant day? Unpossible!
Ag CPA
AG
Should be interesting, hopefully Greggo can start to mend some fences.
clobby
AG
It's kind of funny they just recreated the post-greggo HL but replaced Corby with Sirois.
Hincemm
AG
They are discussing at 530 btw
Hincemm
AG
Just confirmed the hammer will be on as a guest
FTAco07
AG
Sounds like more than a guest. Apparently planning to recreate an OG Hardline episode. Highlights include C(lebrity) news, community nuggets, etc.

Mike is pulling out all the stops to make this floundering experiment work and really double middleing the ticket to do it opposite white elephant day.
Danny Vermin
Hammer on immediately and will be there the whole show it sounds like. Already mentioned his heart attacks and its possible ( probable) it was caused by the Vax and boosters.
Ervin Burrell
AG
Danny Vermin said:

Already mentioned his heart attacks and its possible ( probable) it was caused by the Vax and boosters.
Not years of coke abuse and a sh/tty diet?
walton91
Have they talked about when they reconciled and how tjat happened? Seems like Rhynes was pretty set on not having anything to do with him for the longest time
Coates
walton91 said:

Have they talked about when they reconciled and how tjat happened? Seems like Rhynes was pretty set on not having anything to do with him for the longest time

Sirois's idea on Monday, called then and got him booked. Cool to hear them all really open up about the past, and hear Greggo sober.
OldArmyAggie94
AG
I have laughed my but off the last 30 minutes...good radio.

I did listen to the morning and afternoon on KTCK..

Moved to the Hardline in the afternoon.
OldArmyAggie94
AG
Talking about the breakup right now...
FTAco07
AG
I'm sticking with White Elephant, but will definitely listen to the Hardline on podcast tomorrow
bthotugigem05
AG
This is an incredible conversation.
Spaceship
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

This is an incredible conversation.

Any idea how to listen after the fact?
FTAco07
AG
They post a podcast on the iHeart app; probably later tonight.
Spaceship
AG
Are they still on the air? All I've heard for the past 20 mins is music.
OldArmyAggie94
AG
Spaceship said:

Are they still on the air? All I've heard for the past 20 mins is music.

Yea they are still on went to break
phoenix491
AG
As a Day 1 P1, I have to say, I've really enjoyed listening this afternoon ... I've only tuned in to the Freak for maybe 10 minutes since they launched, but this is some much-needed nostalgia for me. Really glad to hear how healthy and well-adjusted Greggo seems right now. For quite a while, it seemed like that guy was never coming back ...
Coates
"She was pretty skanky, but doable"

-The Hammer
The Shank Ag
Coates said:

-The Hammer

With no boobies!

I'm admittedly already a freak listener most of the time because of my personal connection with Ben and skin, but as a former hardline P1 back as far as my Jr High days, today has been amazing
BoomGoesThe
Coates said:

-The Hammer

"And there were no boobies!" - The Hammer

This has been so great. Greggo talking about sneaking into two Super Bowls and then backtracking to say he had credentials and just tossed his bag around the scanner. Then saying he also had a credential for the '89 Super Bowl but snuck onto the field is vintage Hammer.
BoDog
AG
For the few mins that I could to listen, this was radio gold! Forgot how much I liked that show (even with yuck monkey, Corby).

Can anyone give the cliff's notes version to how/when they reconciled and where they are today? Also, what is Grego doing these days for a paycheck?
walton91
DannyDuberstein
AG
The Hammer apparently has a holiday season job playing Yukon Cornelius

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.