Metroplex
Sponsored by

97.1 The Freak

89,624 Views | 570 Replies | Last: 27 min ago by chick79
AW 1880
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Pretty cool hearing Rhynes close it out with stay hard and keep jammin.
Ag CPA
AG
They still have the Mavs games, correct? Guessing that getting Cuban and Kidd on-air will be part of that deal?
Chewy
AG
This is going to get confusing posting on whatever thread since this is all so intertwined.. I'm an old school Hardline guy so that's my preference.

I felt the wheels were a little wobbly as they introduced the format and the cast.

Once that was out of the way it started feeling a little familiar. Especially when Grubes came in.

The Sunset Lounge felt really familiar from a long time ago.

I think if you're old school Hardline and don't care as much about sports then you may switch. If you're new school Hardline this ain't for you.

I do think Bob Sturm would be the perfect addition to this group. He might want to talk more sports but I think he'd adjust perfectly and be the guy that carries the sports while not geeking out about it.
Buford Tannen
AG
I'm looking forward to the references to the friendly mercantile and "time to mill about smartly to make sure every radio dial is set to americas favorite radio station"
TexasAggie008
AG
Sooo

Can we expect "The Freak" to be on radio row?
Gunter12
The 'big surprise' at the beginning of the 6:00 hour (Grubes)…what if it would have been The Hammer??? A Rhyner/Greggo reunion moves the needle on this thing significantly! Wishful thinking, I guess. Don't know if that relationship is beyond repair.
TexasAggie008
AG
Soo guessing no one has read the DMN piece? Here are some highlights:

"I didn't believe it. And now I am really sad about it," he said. "Mike has a home on The Ticket for life, but he never contacted me about having the itch to get back on air."

Jeff also doesn't understand why Mike never reached out to anyone at The Ticket about his future with 97.1.

"I didn't think it was their business," Mike told me when I asked why his longtime Ticket colleagues learned only through the grapevine of his plans to return.

Mike said sticking it to The Ticket or to owner Cumulus Media wasn't a motivator. But he followed up with the contention that he had been "minimized and marginalized" by almost everyone at the station.

Corby Davidson, who still works in the prestigious drive-time hours that he shared with Mike from January 2000 to his retirement 20 years later, said he has no idea what his former Hardline co-host means about being minimized.

"Mike was universally loved at The Ticket," Corby told me. "We hoisted him on our shoulders in retirement. We invited him to all our events. We had him on all our shows, as recently as August."

Corby said he and his colleagues believed Mike would always be "the face and heartbeat" of The Ticket. "He chose otherwise, and destroyed relationships that had been in existence for 30 years. It's heartbreaking and unconscionable."
double aught
AG
albatross said:

I'm looking forward to the references to the friendly mercantile and "time to mill about smartly to make sure every radio dial is set to americas favorite radio station"
I've always wondered how Mike came up with that seemingly random monologue.
hoosier-daddy
Gunter12 said:

The 'big surprise' at the beginning of the 6:00 hour (Grubes)…what if it would have been The Hammer??? A Rhyner/Greggo reunion moves the needle on this thing significantly! Wishful thinking, I guess. Don't know if that relationship is beyond repair.

Greggo would be the leader of F16. Shocked he wasn't storming the Capitol. Likely was packed up and overslept.
Spaceship
AG
I listened to about 2 hours today and finally gave up when they were talking about dinosaurs for too long. The format seems more like a podcast than radio…I'm not sure I like it. I switched over to The Ticket after and heard Sturm analyzing football and never switched back.
ac04
listened to a few segments this afternoon. was cool to hear rhyner and sirois but whoever said it sounded like a podcast nailed it. way too much ticket angst as well. i give it one thumb down and one thumb right in the middle with a third thumb 1/3 of the way down.
MaroonDontRun
AG
I really wouldn't judge it bad or good from today. Today was an introduction and i would imagine nothing like the actual daily efforts (sans B&S which will do what they do).
BClark
AG
Behind paywall but I would love to see the whole thing.
beagle2009
AG
Once you click on the article, hit the Reader feature at the top right of the search bar before the paywall window pops up and you can bypass the subscription notification.
Chewy
AG
AgBQ-00
AG
Gotta say, I am liking the scattershot wide variety of the discussion so far. Not going to be a sports station but the topic is there to discuss. Really pretty excited to see how it all develops.
The Collective
AG
"Ambassador of Fun for the Rough Riders"

/insert Grubes laugh drop here
Demasiado
AG
Does the I heart app allow the hour rewind and fast forward?
EllisCoAg
AG
There used to be a talk show back in the 80's and 90s on WBAP with Kevin McCarthy, who used to talk about any and everything. Whatever the topic of the day was, but not too political that i recall, very listenable and conversational. Some sports, some traffic, weather, big news as it happens. i see the Freak being a throw back to this in a way. The hosts have to stop talking over each other though.
Ervin Burrell
AG
Chewy said:

This is going to get confusing posting on whatever thread since this is all so intertwined.. I'm an old school Hardline guy so that's my preference.

I felt the wheels were a little wobbly as they introduced the format and the cast.

Once that was out of the way it started feeling a little familiar. Especially when Grubes came in.

The Sunset Lounge felt really familiar from a long time ago.

I think if you're old school Hardline and don't care as much about sports then you may switch. If you're new school Hardline this ain't for you.

I do think Bob Sturm would be the perfect addition to this group. He might want to talk more sports but I think he'd adjust perfectly and be the guy that carries the sports while not geeking out about it.
Disagree wholeheartedly with this.
Hincemm
AG
Demasiado said:

Does the I heart app allow the hour rewind and fast forward?
sirois said they're working on it
TMACsDaMan
The old grey wolf should bring in Doyle King!
PatAg
AG
The Downbeat is a great name
shiftyandquick
The Freak is a dagger aimed straight at Corby's ascendancy as the top dog in drive time. There's no other way to look at it. Look at Corby's statement calling this a massive betrayal.

One minute Corby sees the future as entirely his. Next minute he must be wondering if he will survive the next shake-up.
Hincemm
AG
shiftyandquick said:

The Freak is a dagger aimed straight at Corby's ascendancy as the top dog in drive time. There's no other way to look at it. Look at Corby's statement calling this a massive betrayal.

One minute Corby sees the future as entirely his. Next minute he must be wondering if he will survive the next shake-up.
problemo numero uno
Its Texas Aggies, dammit
AG
shiftyandquick said:

This is a good thing IMO.

As several of the Ticket guys have been around forever, it seems to me they have begun to take their audience for granted and shown what almost seems like disregard and maybe even disdain for their audience. Some of them have just become unlikeable to me. The shows I've quit listening to has grown over the years.
Ol Jock 99
AG
This is simply Ben & Skin plus iHeart trying a hail mary. Mike was bored with retirement, so was probably easy pickings. Seroy is honestly the only one with a legit beef...but he's simply not as good as Jake. The rest of defectors were the JV squad at best, even if I liked them (Julie for example).

Corby, like him or not, won't lose a wink of sleep over this from the professional side (personal is a different story).
Know Your Enemy
AG
ac04 said:

listened to a few segments this afternoon. was cool to hear rhyner and sirois but whoever said it sounded like a podcast nailed it. way too much ticket angst as well. i give it one thumb down and one thumb right in the middle with a third thumb 1/3 of the way down.
That's a lot of thumbs.
shiftyandquick
Ol Jock 99 said:

This is simply Ben & Skin plus iHeart trying a hail mary. Mike was bored with retirement, so was probably easy pickings. Seroy is honestly the only one with a legit beef...but he's simply not as good as Jake. The rest of defectors were the JV squad at best, even if I liked them (Julie for example).

Corby, like him or not, won't lose a wink of sleep over this from the professional side (personal is a different story).
we found the one Corby fan.
Hincemm
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

it wasn't a matter of sirois being better than jake. it was a matter of sirois being better than norm.

and based on the amount of musers on from 3-7 yesterday, it would appear someone is losing sleep.
Goldie Wilson
Hincemm said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

it wasn't a matter of sirois being better than jake. it was a matter of sirois being better than norm.

and based on the amount of musers on from 3-7 yesterday, it would appear someone is losing sleep.
Exactly. All of the sudden the Musers are just coincidentally pulling double duty for the first time ever? Ok sure
Ol Jock 99
AG
Quote:

sirois
I even attempted to find the correct spelling on the google machine...and failed.
Ol Jock 99
AG
I'm Corby indifferent. He's fine. Doesn't move the needle on way or the other. #BobIsMyLeader
AgBQ-00
AG
I have been listening pretty much all day and I have had a ton of laugh out loud moments today.

Julie: How long is your lizard!??
KT: uuuuummmmmm
Chewy
AG
I know The Ticket is doing fine overall from a ratings standpoint but I'm guessing there's no one that's tracked trends over the last 2-3 years to see how each grouping is doing?

I'd be curious to see if there's any decline or increase overall and compared to each grouping over time.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.