Metroplex
Sponsored by

97.1 The Freak

90,001 Views | 570 Replies | Last: 22 hrs ago by chick79
aggielostinETX
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
SHOOOPY!!!
Rhynes!!!

Man, loving it
AgBQ-00
AG
Team Cream Soda
Coates
AggieLostinDallas said:

SHOOOPY!!!
Rhynes!!!

Man, loving it

Same! Maybe I'm burnt out on sports talk, but priorities have changed and hours and hours of Cowboys talk is brutal to me, especially when it's the same thing on every show.

I will add, the funny thing about Corby being butt hurt is most likely that he wasn't invited. He would be much better in a format like the Freak than the Ticket, but they either want no part of him or assume he's paid too much.
powerbelly
AG
Coates said:

AggieLostinDallas said:

SHOOOPY!!!
Rhynes!!!

Man, loving it

Same! Maybe I'm burnt out on sports talk, but priorities have changed and hours and hours of Cowboys talk is brutal to me, especially when it's the same thing on every show.

I will add, the funny thing about Corby being butt hurt is most likely that he wasn't invited. He would be much better in a format like the Freak than the Ticket, but they either want no part of him or assume he's paid too much.
This is ridiculous (and I don't care for Corby).

No one in their right mind would jump from a sure thing job hosting drive time at the Ticket to a station that may not exist in a year for most likely a paycut.
Goldie Wilson
It's probably both right? Makes no sense for 97.1 to pursue Corby, and would make no sense for Corby to ever leave the Ticket.
aggielostinETX
AG
powerbelly said:

Coates said:

AggieLostinDallas said:

SHOOOPY!!!
Rhynes!!!

Man, loving it

No one in their right mind would jump from a sure thing job hosting drive time at the Ticket to a station that may not exist in a year for most likely a paycut.

Yeah but his ego was still hurt that he wasn't asked.
powerbelly
AG
AggieLostinDallas said:

powerbelly said:

Coates said:

AggieLostinDallas said:

SHOOOPY!!!
Rhynes!!!

Man, loving it

Okay. I hear he was also upset the Fan didn't reach out to lowball him for the mid-day slot.
TMACsDaMan
If the Freak ends up poaching Gordon Keith…game over for the the Ticket
FTAco07
AG
Julie spending the day with Rhyner and Sirois feels so much more natural than her in the morning show. That's to be expected since they all know each other, and hopefully the morning show can build rapport over time, but they definitely didn't have it this morning.
Hincemm
AG
TMACsDaMan said:

He would do a dozen other things before he did that. Which he still wouldn't.
dave94
AG
Checked out some of Julie with the Downbeat. Had to punch out, this children's book segment is no bueno.
dcAg
I have been listening to the Ticket forever. Nothing ever really changes. Same segments and same discussions on EVERY SINGLE SHOW!!! Gets very tiresome. I would often switch to Sirius and listen to Howard Stern. The Freak gives us a GREAT option.
Gomer95
AG
Indeed. I have already started flipping over during any Ticket segments I tune out on. Great option for sure!
Vince Blake
Hincemm said:

TMACsDaMan said:

He would do a dozen other things before he did that. Which he still wouldn't.

Agree with this. If Gordon was to leave The Ticket, it would not be to build another radio station up. I could see him doing a Rogan type podcast and killing it.
Ervin Burrell
AG
dcAg said:

I have been listening to the Ticket forever. Nothing ever really changes. Same segments and same discussions on EVERY SINGLE SHOW!!! Gets very tiresome. I would often switch to Sirius and listen to Howard Stern. The Freak gives us a GREAT option.
While I don't begrudge anyone for thinking the Ticket has gotten stale, I'd give this new station a bit longer than 26 hours to prove to you that it's a superior alternative/not redundant in its own right.
Danny Vermin
The 5 30 segment on the Freak is must listen. Rhyner is about to respond to corby crying about him going there.
MaroonDontRun
AG
TMACsDaMan said:

I agree that he would not consider this but can you imagine how he would shine in that format. There is really little to no possibility for any of the existing Ticket hosts to make a move like this.
AgLaw
AG
dcAg said:

Also a great option for College Football Tuesday.
Legal Custodian
AG
Danny Vermin said:

The 5 30 segment on the Freak is must listen. Rhyner is about to respond to corby crying about him going there.
This was kind of a big bag of nothing. Rhyner pretty much said "Well too bad, I can do what I want."
Coates
powerbelly said:

AggieLostinDallas said:

powerbelly said:

Coates said:

AggieLostinDallas said:

SHOOOPY!!!
Rhynes!!!

Man, loving it

Okay. I hear he was also upset the Fan didn't reach out to lowball him for the mid-day slot.

I never said he would leave the ticket, but Corby called out Rhyner in the DMN article and said Ryhner ruined relationships that went back 30 years. That seems ridiculous to me to be that upset unless you're pissed you weren't cared about it first.
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
Danny Vermin said:

Potentially great segment and Rhyner falls flat. Same old song and dance.
exitone
AG
Random thoughts from listening on and off the past few days:

Today is the last day they can spend talking about themselves. They need to move to more of a format. It sounds like they are going into each day unprepared. I think their plan is to wing it and just talk about whatever. But they are going to have to plan to some extent. All Mike is going to talk about is music or baseball. Sirois is going to have to keep the topics interesting.

The morning and afternoon shows are horrible. The Ticket has nothing to worry about.

The Downbeat has a chance at carving into the Hardline, but they will need to work on things. Sirois is going to have to lead the way because Rhyner is not going to do anything. I think they will all lean on Grubes heavily.

Rhyner seems like a d*ck. Yes, he doesn't owe the Ticket anything, but it seems like he is whining a lot and taking it out on people that supported him a lot over the years. He is going to lose interest in this in 6 months, give up. And after that, he will have alienated himself from the Ticket and just be a pissed off old man.

I used to like Julie and thought she was a fun addition to mid day. But here she just sounds like someone who is grabbing onto Rhyner coat tails and brown nosing him. She sounds bitter when she has no reason to be.

powerbelly
AG
Or his mentor in radio retired and then came back without telling anyone to directly compete with him.
AgBQ-00
AG
In regards to Julie, I think you can look no further than the other thread with people calling her a conniving do nothing who just lied to get off the air. Evidently she has faced that vitriol and if I were her I'd be peeved over it as well.

As far as Rhyner goes it is not unusual for on air talent to remain dark when new employment is upcoming. If Corby is going to let that ruin a relationship that he supposedly cares about...that speaks volumes of the absolute ***** he is.

All in all, I enjoy the change-up. I like the wide ranging discussion that is not tied to any one topic that every show is going to regurgitate. Will be fun to see how they grow.
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
I'm flipping back and forth so certainly not catching every segment, but I did hear Rhynes do 15 minutes on a 100 loss Rangers team and Roger Maris. Old habits die hard.
mavsfan4ever
AG
exitone said:

Random thoughts from listening on and off the past few days:

Today is the last day they can spend talking about themselves. They need to move to more of a format. It sounds like they are going into each day unprepared. I think their plan is to wing it and just talk about whatever. But they are going to have to plan to some extent. All Mike is going to talk about is music or baseball. Sirois is going to have to keep the topics interesting.

The morning and afternoon shows are horrible. The Ticket has nothing to worry about.

The Downbeat has a chance at carving into the Hardline, but they will need to work on things. Sirois is going to have to lead the way because Rhyner is not going to do anything. I think they will all lean on Grubes heavily.

Rhyner seems like a d*ck. Yes, he doesn't owe the Ticket anything, but it seems like he is whining a lot and taking it out on people that supported him a lot over the years. He is going to lose interest in this in 6 months, give up. And after that, he will have alienated himself from the Ticket and just be a pissed off old man.

I used to like Julie and thought she was a fun addition to mid day. But here she just sounds like someone who is grabbing onto Rhyner coat tails and brown nosing him. She sounds bitter when she has no reason to be.

Agree with all of this. I listened for a bit today and was bored to death. And Julie sucking up to rhyner and Sirois deferring to rhyner will be the downfall of that show if they continue to do it.

I'm assuming Julie was just a guest in drive time today but man she is great in small doses and has a bag when she has to do anything else.
Ervin Burrell
AG
Legal Custodian said:

Danny Vermin said:

This was kind of a big bag of nothing. Rhyner pretty much said "Well too bad, I can do what I want."

Yup. I turned it on during CFB talk on the way home and got excited and thought "this is refreshing"…for about three minutes.
Coates
powerbelly said:

Or his mentor in radio retired and then came back without telling anyone to directly compete with him.

He can't change his mind? You don't think 26 years of 90% straight sports talk wears on a dude? It's not sports talk, that's pretty clear.

And as you pointed out, no one in their right mind would leave drivetime on the ticket for the Freak, so why would Mike reach out? That implies Mike owes Corby, pretty sure it's the other way around.
powerbelly
AG
Coates said:

powerbelly said:

He can't change his mind? You don't think 26 years of 90% straight sports talk wears on a dude? It's not sports talk, that's pretty clear.

And as you pointed out, no one in their right mind would leave drivetime on the ticket for the Freak, so why would Mike reach out? That implies Mike owes Corby, pretty sure it's the other way around.

He absolutely can change his mind, I have never said or thought differently. He also is a bit of an ass for the way he went about everything.
walton91
Of course he was. Some people hate Corby so much though they are willing to give Rhynes a free pass. I can imagine if a friend or mentor of 25 years had done the same and I found out second hand I would have definitely had a "jfc, wtf dude" moment. As soon as the ink was dry on the contract if Mike had said "guess what, I got an offer, I'm getting back in the game" this plays out differently.
FTAco07
AG
So he should violate his nda and give his biggest competitor a heads up? Can't imagine why he didn't do that
walton91
Did he have an nda? Has he mentioned that? Seems like one of the very first things he would tell people is "I wanted to say something but I couldn't" instead of "I can do what I want"
AgBQ-00
AG
Every show today talked about how they had to hold the news back from close friends and keep things under wraps before launch
Coates
powerbelly said:

Coates said:

powerbelly said:

He absolutely can change his mind, I have never said or thought differently. He also is a bit of an ass for the way he went about everything.

Didn't realize you had insight on how he went about 'everything'. I assume that also includes how he left the ticket and any negotiations with them prior?

It's not black and white, he hadn't worked in nearly 3 years, so what does he owe anyone at the Ticket? Absolutely nothing.

I'm not even a Rhyner fan, I've likes Sirois the most and haply he's got a spot.
shiftyandquick
the most important thing Rhyner said was that maybe the Freak "takes down the Ticket." Rhyner knows exactly what the stakes are here. And this isn't simply a joy ride. He says he is in it to win it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.