Metroplex
Sponsored by

97.1 The Freak

89,824 Views | 570 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by chick79
powerbelly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

I think people underestimate the threat that The Freak is to The Ticket. iHeart is in a way better financial position than Cumulus, broadcasting the Mavs games will give them much more traffic than the Stars does for The Ticket, and The Freak doesn't have 8 hosts that have been there for 20 years (with commensurately enormous salaries).
I will be surprised if the freak is broadcasting in the same format in a year. iHeart has deep pockets, but from what I have heard so far they won't continue to back a format that isn't getting listeners.
Coates
powerbelly said:

bthotugigem05 said:

I think people underestimate the threat that The Freak is to The Ticket. iHeart is in a way better financial position than Cumulus, broadcasting the Mavs games will give them much more traffic than the Stars does for The Ticket, and The Freak doesn't have 8 hosts that have been there for 20 years (with commensurately enormous salaries).
I will be surprised if the freak is broadcasting in the same format in a year. iHeart has deep pockets, but from what I have heard so far they won't continue to back a format that isn't getting listeners.

Have ratings come out yet?
AgGrad99
AG

Quote:

I think people underestimate the threat that The Freak is to The Ticket.
All that matters though are the ratings.

Im sure they'll get an initial bump for being new, but are they taking listeners from the Ticket?
ac04
i think people overestimate the threat that the freak is to the ticket. i have tried to like it a few times and its just not very good.
Ervin Burrell
AG
Will be interesting to see what sort of dent they make in the ratings once the Ticket goes on dry dock. I have to believe they'll be going full bore with all of their regulars to try and attract some Ticket listeners who don't want to hear the likes of Sean Bass or Intentional Grounding over the holidays.
Legal Custodian
AG
My friend group from Fort Worth is split about 60/40 in favor of the Freak. I might listen every now and again if the Ticket is on a commercial break, but the vast majority of my time is listening to the Ticket.

I'll be very curious if they can actually poach a full-time host from the ticket. I have to think Jake is the lowest hanging fruit there being a basketball guy and the Freak having the rights to Maverick basketball. Maybe Donny cause his friendship with Sirois?
The Shank Ag
Legal Custodian said:

My friend group from Fort Worth is split about 60/40 in favor of the Freak. I might listen every now and again if the Ticket is on a commercial break, but the vast majority of my time is listening to the Ticket.

I'll be very curious if they can actually poach a full-time host from the ticket. I have to think Jake is the lowest hanging fruit there being a basketball guy and the Freak having the rights to Maverick basketball. Maybe Donny cause his friendship with Sirois?
Skin yesterday revealed he still has Jake in his phone as "Jake-Ticket Intern" from over a decade ago when he and Danny were discussing how quick Danny's employment came together.

With Danny having had a 6 month non-compete, doubt they will be poaching any full time talent without it being really noticeable. If someone at the Ticket offers up a resignation out of nowhere, then maybe the speculation could begin
Matsui
AG
I listen to The Freak when The Ticket is on commercial break.
Coates
I haven't listened to the hardline, musers, or norm once since the Freak started. Hadn't been listening much before, but would occasionally check in for the musers. Can't take dozens of the same cowboys segments, Craig/corby, or the politics anymore.

To each their own, but I've been enjoying the Freak.
Hincemm
AG
The song that Danny just did was absolutely incredible and I'm not a Demi fan
AggieMPH2005
I like the addition of Danny to the show. This is better than e news by a mile or Corby's OU centered College Football segment
Ag CPA
AG
Legal Custodian said:

I think the endgame has to be stealing either the Musers or the old BADD radio, Clear Channel has more money than god and the station needs more than the Downbeat to be viable long term. Ultimately it would be Mike's call as well and I don't know who he would want if it came to that (maybe nobody).
Legal Custodian
AG
Ag CPA said:

Legal Custodian said:

I think the endgame has to be stealing either the Musers or the old BADD radio, Clear Channel has more money than god and the station needs more than the Downbeat to be viable long term. Ultimately it would be Mike's call as well and I don't know who he would want if it came to that (maybe nobody).

Don't think the Freak can afford the Musers. Maybe Gordo since he's not a sports guy anyway. Craig and Jub are so close to retiring I don't see them leaving.

Don't see Bob going to a non-sports station. I could see them getting Jake and Dan.

I think this is all pointing to Cat and his bff Corby being the downfall of the ticket if it reaches that far.
Its Texas Aggies, dammit
AG
Legal Custodian said:

Ag CPA said:

Legal Custodian said:

Don't think the Freak can afford the Musers. Maybe Gordo since he's not a sports guy anyway. Craig and Jub are so close to retiring I don't see them leaving.

Don't see Bob going to a non-sports station. I could see them getting Jake and Dan.

I think this is all pointing to Cat and his bff Corby being the downfall of the ticket if it reaches that far.

I like the Freak for what it has and what it doesn't. If they pulled Gordo over, I'd avoid his time slot like the plague.
MonkeyKnifeFighter
BoDog
AG
MonkeyKnifeFighter said:

I got absolutely blasted on twitter for saying this, but for 5+ years the Ticket has been doing the equivalent of sacrificing their AA, AAA, and young roster talent in order to pay a few 43-year-old Cecil Fielders to DH and occasionally mash HR's.

As much as some of them talk wistfully about future retirement, they're going to find their farm system absolutely devoid of replacement host talent, and left reloading full-time drive-time with the likes of the loyal but not good enough to have been poached crewmates like Sean Bass and Ty Walker.

When Jerr left, Corby had a few condescending replies to a tweet thread I started about the Ticket dying and about pretty much this exact same thing. It's taking all my internet strength to not quote-tweet those now telling him "remember the best and most legendary years of the Hardline? How does it feel that every member of that crew has subsequently left and gone right back to broadcasting the same exact style elsewhere, but without you?".

My only Ticket time anymore is Gordo segments, and the Hang Zone open.
Please tweet that. It would be awesome!
MavsAg
AG
Legal Custodian said:

Remember when Jake was gone for a few days in the middle of the week earlier this year? He out in his two weeks. This was before the Freak was announced, but the timing does make sense. I'm almost certain he was on his way over until Cat finally agreed to pay him his due.
Hincemm
AG
https://www.iheart.com/podcast/53-the-downbeat-103022465/episode/112922-505-fun-drive-danny-brings-us-a-song-105270200?cmp=ios_share&sc=ios_social_share&pr=false
walton91
I flipped over to the Downbeat right as they were signing off early due to the Mavs game. I was curious about Rhynes sign off and if he would do a variant of "keep jammin" After a pause he just said something like "interaction terminated" or something like that. Is that what he says every day? It was very awkward
Buford Tannen
AG
I admire and respect The Freak guys for having fun and starting something new, but it's not The Ticket. The only thing that excites me about The Freak is Grubes and Rhynes, because of.....The Ticket. I'm a sports guy and Bob is my leader, I idolize Gordon, and I love Rhynes, but it's all under the banner of The Ticket. As many times as I've tried I just can't get into The Freak, and that's ok.
johnnyblaze36
AG
Hincemm said:

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/53-the-downbeat-103022465/episode/112922-505-fun-drive-danny-brings-us-a-song-105270200?cmp=ios_share&sc=ios_social_share&pr=false
That was a fun segment. Although the Danny intro song sounds much more like WEEN than anything.

Pretty wild that he took a shot at the Ticket saying he was only making 40K. There's no way that's true. Also, not surprising he thinks the most innovative guy on the planet is a "dewsh".

Love/hate relationship with Dan Paul. Good radio imo nonetheless.
BoDog
AG
Does anyone else think Grubes is very vanilla and almost downright boring?
The Pilot
AG
I've listened very little to the new station but when he was at the ticket he was great with drops but never gave me the impression that he'd be great cohost.
AG
all the board ops have been oddball personalities like that

jer always had social justic nonsense on his twitter

psycho dave was as introverted as you could get

didnt galleria security think mino was going to jump off the 4th floor and he thought it was a good idea to do a segment about it?

sixiron
AG
walton91 said:

I flipped over to the Downbeat right as they were signing off early due to the Mavs game. I was curious about Rhynes sign off and if he would do a variant of "keep jammin" After a pause he just said something like "interaction terminated" or something like that. Is that what he says every day? It was very awkward

"End of interaction" is what I've heard the couple times I heard him sign off.
The Shank Ag
sixiron said:

walton91 said:

"End of interaction" is what I've heard the couple times I heard him sign off.

It's been a few things

The old familiar "stay hard, keep jammin"

"Until tomorrow, sleep tight"

"End of interaction"

"Communication over"
752bro4
AG
BoDog said:

Am I wrong guys?
Hincemm
AG
80085 said:

didnt galleria security think mino was going to jump off the 4th floor and he thought it was a good idea to do a segment about it?

mino is their bench strength. that is scary
Danny Vermin
Hincemm said:

80085 said:

mino is their bench strength. that is scary

He's also Craig's actual twink.
The Collective
AG
What the hell is the commercial for Spidertown? It was talking about having arachnids as pets. WTF.
The Shank Ag
The Collective said:

What the hell is the commercial for Spidertown? It was talking about having arachnids as pets. WTF.
Bit

There's also one for "Snakes Plus"
johnnyblaze36
AG
The Pilot said:

I've listened very little to the new station but when he was at the ticket he was great with drops but never gave me the impression that he'd be great cohost.
I thought everyone loved Grubes. I'm probably biased but is he even really a "co-host" on the Downbeat? Haven't listened enough yet but the little that I have he seems to be the same ol' Shoopy just chiming in here and there and fulfilling his role as the king of drops.
johnnyblaze36
AG
BoDog said:

Sorry. This was what I meant to quote above and respond to.
dave94
AG
I thought the shoopy stuff was funny back in the day, now it's just eye rolling. He really doesn't have that much to bring to the table.

I've tuned back into the Freak a little bit in the last couple of weeks, and overall the shows just aren't that entertaining.
bthotugigem05
AG
johnnyblaze36 said:

The Pilot said:

I thought everyone loved Grubes. I'm probably biased but is he even really a "co-host" on the Downbeat? Haven't listened enough yet but the little that I have he seems to be the same ol' Shoopy just chiming in here and there and fulfilling his role as the king of drops.

He's a producer, not a host.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.