Nintendo Switch - Buying or not?

47,554 Views | 471 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Pman17
Skitch05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Picked one up at Target this morning, they still had 20+ left too.
bbattbq01
AG
dragmagpuff said:

The hardware ratios between stores seems so weird. Best Buy ran out of Zelda copies, but had a lot of Pro Controllers. My brother was able to crash a Gamestop midnight launch and got a physical copy of Zelda there, but they only had less than 5 Switches for non-preorders...

Understand target having a lot of consoles... since I don't think they did online preorders. The not enough copies of zelda thing is super weird though. Nintendo has to know 95% of people who buy the switch are going to get Zelda. Maybe they are wanting to drive people to buy the e copy.
hph6203
AG
They definitely are trying to get people to buy the digital copy, but there's still plenty of stock around for the physical version.
I Like Mike
AG
Tried to order a Switch on BestBuy.com in a bundle....Got to the payment screen and it slapped me in the face with a "sorry this item is not available" message. I has the sadz.
Saxsoon
AG
Picked mine up and waiting for Zelda special edition today. Might only get an hour before I head to a retreat this weekend. But got the console set up last night and played some videos on the eshop to test bouncing back and forth between tv and handheld moments. Very snappy. Not particularly impressed with the joycons though.
The Count of Monte Carlo
Still up for grabs. Sounds like people are able to get them though.

I have a pre order grey that I'm not going to keep. It's already shipped, arrives today. Anyone in Houston want it let me know otherwise I'll return it Sunday. My email is: j w t e x a g s @ g m a i l . c o m
Bryan98
AG
Anyone have any impressions of the Zelda Special Edition carrying case? I went to Target for a pro controller, and ended up grabbing the Zelda Special Edition. However, I don't need a map or coin or anything. Might not be worth the $40 upcharge over regular.
The Count of Monte Carlo
It's been claimed again.
GarlandAg2012
AG
I sent your post to a buddy and he emailed you. Glad it worked out.
3rdGen2015
AG
Mine is out for delivery
bbattbq01
AG
Bryan98 said:

Anyone have any impressions of the Zelda Special Edition carrying case? I went to Target for a pro controller, and ended up grabbing the Zelda Special Edition. However, I don't need a map or coin or anything. Might not be worth the $40 upcharge over regular.

The case seems pretty nice. I only unpacked it and briefly looked at it, but has slots for game carts, accessories etc. Figured I'm going to be paying 10-15 bucks for the case anyways might as well do the zelda special.
I Like Mike
AG
So whats the ETA on regular availability online at major retailers? A week? Two?
3rdGen2015
AG
Just got mine delivered. Planning on running by the Best Buy near the office to pick up Zelda during lunch.
A is A
AG
CalebMcCreary06 said:

So whats the ETA on regular availability online at major retailers? A week? Two?
this
Bryan98
AG
nyc_aggie said:

CalebMcCreary06 said:

this

Well, that's the real trick, isn't it? And it's gonna cost you something extra.

(No one knows. How could anyone know?)
hph6203
AG
Saw something that said Toys R Us would have new stock on Sunday.
Super Aggie 64
AG
You can sign up for text and email stock alerts at NowInStock.net.

https://www.nowinstock.net/videogaming/consoles/nintendoswitch/
I Like Mike
AG
TexAgs knows things...especially the Nerdery.
Jim01
AG
Mine just arrived via Amazon Prime. Woo hoo! Zelda still in transit.

It's in fine shape but the packing was kind of crappy. It was in a box roughly twice it's size with ZERO packing to protect it. Usually they through in those plastic air bags. Very Un-Amazon like
Bryan98
AG
hph6203 said:

Saw something that said Toys R Us would have new stock on Sunday.

I've seen that. Have we discussed using Brickseek to find stuff?
TriumphForks
AG
Thought I wouldn't miss out too much not getting the Switch at launch but after seeing reviews for Zelda I am severely regretting my decision. Saw that some were available at my local Target on their website and called but they are out.
agdoc2001
AG
Had a preorder at Target - bank put a hold on transaction due to suspicious activity and Target cancelled it, so looked like no Switch for me.

But - just hit up the HEB plus over lunch and found 1 gray Switch left!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dcaggie04
AG
Brickseek isn't that great since it doesn't really tell you how many of those are actually available in the store to be sold. I went to two local walmarts that Brickseek said had 7 or 8 of the grey ones. Asked a sales associate and they said they only got 5 of them that weren't preorders and they sold them just as soon as the store opened.
hph6203
AG
It theoretically does, but it's not 100% up to the minute. I drove to a Target on my lunch break and picked up a Pro Controller. It said they had 5 in stock 4 for sale, and turned out they had 2 on the shelves.
A is A
AG
we had a walmart up here in White Plains that listed the 46 grey's in stock at lunch. 1 pm they had 0 and said they sold out at 8am.
tamusc
AG
FYI, this is real advice from Nintendo about the Joy-Con connectivity issues.

http://trib.al/qzggEY8
dcaggie04
AG
Went by the local Best Buy to see if they happened to have any (figuring it would be a no). They actually had quite a few still in stock. The manager said that their regional manager demanded the corporate office send them at least 30 units per region store since they screwed them over (his words) when the NES classic game out and didn't send them to any of the stores in the region. So, I lucked into one.
Bryan98
AG
dcaggie04 said:

Went by the local Best Buy to see if they happened to have any (figuring it would be a no). They actually had quite a few still in stock. The manager said that their regional manager demanded the corporate office send them at least 30 units per region store since they screwed them over (his words) when the NES classic game out and didn't send them to any of the stores in the region. So, I lucked into one.

Congrats!

I haven't been able to bring myself to spend $50 on. Bomberman, which my kids might not enjoy anyway, so I've just played Zelda and the Snipperclips demo so far. However, staying up late last night sniping this system off Amazon Prime Now has caught up to me, and I had to take a wee nap. /old
hph6203
AG
tamusc said:

I really don't understand the obsession with this issue, its not as if this is some kind of novel issue that Bluetooth devices don't play well with obstructions, and I've mentioned it before, but its not exclusive to the Switch either. Same kind of stuff happened to the Playstation 4 for several months after I purchased it (and this was several months after it was initially released). The Xbox One controller paired with the original Xbox One is the only controller that would be 100% immune to these kinds of issues of the current consoles.
3rdGen2015
AG
Bryan98 said:

dcaggie04 said:

Congrats!

I haven't been able to bring myself to spend $50 on. Bomberman, which my kids might not enjoy anyway, so I've just played Zelda and the Snipperclips demo so far. However, staying up late last night sniping this system off Amazon Prime Now has caught up to me, and I had to take a wee nap. /old

I usually can't get my girlfriend to play games with me but I made her play the Snipperclips demo with me and she liked it so much that I figured it was worth the $20 on it to be able to have a game to play with her. The full version has a 4 person party mode and a duel mode in it too. I don't know how many different "worlds" it has yet, we got about halfway through the first one before she got tired of playing. She says she wants to play more of it though!
Bryan98
AG
I wanted to play the Snips demo with my wife tonight but I'm tired and watching soccer. My 5yr old son discovered earlier that every level is potentially a fighting game - forget the puzzle, just try to clip the other player so much that the game regens them. He was laughing his butt off!
3rdGen2015
AG
That's literally all the duel mode is. Its 3 stock.
rangerdanger
AG
hph6203 said:

tamusc said:

I really don't understand the obsession with this issue, its not as if this is some kind of novel issue that Bluetooth devices don't play well with obstructions, and I've mentioned it before, but its not exclusive to the Switch either. Same kind of stuff happened to the Playstation 4 for several months after I purchased it (and this was several months after it was initially released). The Xbox One controller paired with the original Xbox One is the only controller that would be 100% immune to these kinds of issues of the current consoles.

I always have problems getting my XBones controller to sync to the system unless I do a hard reset sometimes.
bthotugigem05
AG
Went to 4 different walmarts that the brickseek thing said had inventory and nobody had any, oh well.
AustinAg2K
The Gamestop out here in Southlake had a stack of a couple dozen yesterday afternoon. I don't know if they are reserved or not, but it looked like they had a lot.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.