Nintendo Switch - Buying or not?

47,590 Views | 471 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Pman17
tamusc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Pretty good Super Bowl ad for the Switch that really emphasizes the portable gaming aspect

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Pre-orders available again on Best Buy. Just preordered my Switch and Zelda.
Snoopy03
AG
Amazon has Switch games 20% off for prime members.
tamusc
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Pre-orders available again on Best Buy. Just preordered my Switch and Zelda.
I hate you so much.....I just preordered too after promising myself I'd wait.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Aaaand they're gone.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Pman17
AG
Snoopy03 said:

Amazon has Switch games 20% off for prime members.
Nice! As much as I just want to download everything, I may have to consider this. Good thing Zelda will be home the day before I come home with the Switch.

Bomberman is $40 on prime. I'll get that as well for a multiplayer game.
Jim01
AG
Well I have Zelda pre-ordered now but no system I had one in my cart yesterday but didn't pull the trigger. I should have, could have always cancelled. It's just that I have an XBox One gathering dust but I want to play through GOW4 before selling it and using those funds for a Switch.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Just a heads up for non-Amazon prime members (like me):

Best Buy also does 20% off all games for Gamers Club members. It's $30 to join for 2 years.

Not a bad deal at all. I cancelled my BoTW pre-order, signed up, and re-ordered with the discount. Once I get MK8 and SM Odyssey it will have more than paid for itself.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
How much will it suck to see BoTW sitting there with no system to play it on?

Get on that!
Jim01
AG
No doubt it will suck. I'm regretting. It pulling the trigger on BB a couple days ago. I'll just have to keep my eyes peeled.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Looks like Wal-Mart opened up preorders yesterday for all of 21 minutes before they sold out again.
Jim01
AG
Yep. A couple random times last night they popped up as well. I had one in my cart but it was gone by the time I tried to check out. Boo.
Civen
AG
Just read an article that BotW will have DLC, which makes me wonder what their plans for other franchises are.

Think I'll be passing on this system, I despise DLC.
Saxsoon
AG
So have you given up on gaming?
Civen
AG
No... it's a lot of 'Old man yells at cloud' and 'back in my day' though

And just built a retropie system, so now I can safely live in the past
Jim01
AG
I'm still searching for a pre-order and surfing eBay. The reseller market is very small right now. Pretty easy to find one for $350 with free shipping on eBay. After shipping and fees the scalpers aren't making jack right now.

I don't mind DLC but I am definitely an old man when it comes to online play. I have played and beat ever Gears Of War game and not played a single minute of online play. I just don't enjoy online play.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Civen said:

Just read an article that BotW will have DLC, which makes me wonder what their plans for other franchises are.

Think I'll be passing on this system, I despise DLC.
I was really bummed when I heard it. But after looking into it, it's not terrible news.

Since the bulk of the content is coming in Holiday 2017, it seems this is really all content that was added AFTER development was completed, and not stuff that was left out of the main story. And with the staggered releases all for one $20 payment, it seems fair enough.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

Immediately upon pre-purchase or purchase of the Expansion Pass, three new treasure chests will appear in the game's Great Plateau area. One of these treasure chests will contain a shirt with a Nintendo Switch logo that Link can wear during his adventure, exclusive to the Expansion Pass.
This however, sounds stupid as hell.
chipotle
20 dollars lol
Bryan98
AG
I am fully onboard the Switch hype train. Got my neon joycon edition pre-ordered the first night that they became available.

I'm not pleased with the addition of DLC to Zelda, but Nintendo is historically about as trustworthy as it gets when it comes to delivering high quality software. I'm going to assume this is fine until I see otherwise.

Also, not much of the included content sounds interesting to me. It's possible that "New original story" could mean a new, meaty, interesting quest. Or it could be pretty minimal. Either way, I'll wait until it's out and people have reviewed it before making up my mind.
Pman17
AG
chipotle said:

20 dollars lol

Cheapest Season Pass I've heard of.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
16 days!!!
tamusc
AG
Someone on NeoGAF received theirs early and posted a video of some of the menus.

http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/16/14641974/nintendo-switch-setup-interface-video
Bryan98
AG
Getting close now! 11 days!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Lots of press getting their Switches today. Should be getting a tidal wave of BoTW reviews pretty soon.
Jim01
AG
Hoping to land one still. Been keeping an eye on eBay and looks like it's easy enough to find one for $350 or so, but I think I'll just take my changes on launch day. Unless one of you kind people have an extra pre-order. lol
Bryan98
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Lots of press getting their Switches today. Should be getting a tidal wave of BoTW reviews pretty soon.

From what I read, those are embargoed until March 2. The Switch itself is embargoed until January 23, so we should be seeing tons of reviews of the console itself on Thursday.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Dang.

Cannot wait to play that game.
QBCade
AG
Jim01 said:

Hoping to land one still. Been keeping an eye on eBay and looks like it's easy enough to find one for $350 or so, but I think I'll just take my changes on launch day. Unless one of you kind people have an extra pre-order. lol

Just go by Toys R Us first thing on launch day. That's how I got my Xbox One on launch day. PS4, same deal.
Jim01
AG
That's my plan. Or Frys which shows online sales starting at midnight pacific. I'll try that and if that fails go to a physical store in the morning.
ag_derp
AG
nintendo, not buying that chinese stuff
tamusc
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Looks like Nintendo finally got tired of all the leaks and early unboxings on the internet.

They put out their own Switch unboxing on their official channel.

Must. Resist.
tamusc
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Looks like Nintendo finally got tired of all the leaks and early unboxings on the internet.

They put out their own Switch unboxing on their official channel.

Must. Resist.
Here's the actual video

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.