Nintendo Switch - Buying or not?

47,569 Views | 471 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Pman17
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Putting the charger outlet on the bottom, making it inaccessible in tabletop mode, is pretty baffling. Have to think they had no other choice.
chipotle
That will probably get fixed when the Switch XL comes out.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
From this morning:
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
hph6203
AG
Gotta be honest, the same kind of stuff happens to my DS4 when it's lower on battery.
Pman17
AG
The Verge is investigating this.

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/2/23/14715566/nintendo-switch-best-battery-pack-charging-cables
tamusc
AG
Pman17 said:

The Verge is investigating this.

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/2/23/14715566/nintendo-switch-best-battery-pack-charging-cables

Definitely looking forward to what they find after they update that article. Originally they recommended the same battery pack Ars used for their preview that failed to properly charge the Switch. The Verge recommended that battery pack based on assumptions rather than testing because they didn't actually have their Switch in hand yet.

Hopefully they find one that works or it's some firmware issue that Nintendo can fix with a patch.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Jim01
AG
For a mere $12.99 they have solved the problem for you!!!

Compact Playstand

I mean it's really hard not to believe this wasn't on purpose somehow to get your to buy an accessory. I mean its pretty much a rectangle. How could they not just flip the insides so the charging port is on top?
Pman17
AG
I hope Nintendo will allow us to buy extra docking stations. I'd like to move it from the living room to beadroom and also have one at work.
tamusc
AG
Pman17 said:

I hope Nintendo will allow us to buy extra docking stations. I'd like to move it from the living room to beadroom and also have one at work.
They will, but they're $90.

http://www.nintendo.com/switch/buy-now/
chipotle
Pman17 said:

Yes, for the low low price of $89.99.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
$90 for a plastic shell, charger, and HDMI cable?

Ugh, that's ridiculous. Come on Nintendo. That should cost no more than $50.
Pman17
AG
Dang, for a giant price of plastic with connectors and a $20 power adapter and $10 HDMI cable. I'll just wait for a Nyko ripoff.
tamusc
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

$90 for a plastic shell, charger, and HDMI cable?

Ugh, that's ridiculous. Come on Nintendo. That should cost no more than $50.

Yup, it's a super overpriced USB-C hub and plastic shell.
tamusc
AG
http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/2/24/14699044/nintendo-switch-pro-controller-hands-on-preview
tamusc
AG
http://www.theverge.com/2017/2/24/14717578/legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-nintendo-switch-preview
Bryan98
AG
hph6203 said:

Gotta be honest, the same kind of stuff happens to my DS4 when it's lower on battery.

This happens to me with PS4 and XB1 controllers pretty regularly. Maybe my living room is a mess for radio signals.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
"It's the best opening of any console launch title I've ever played, at least back to Super Mario 64. And I can't wait to spend 100 hours in its world." - The Guardian's preview of BOTW.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
hph6203
AG
Everything I've seen has been extremely positive about the game, hardware reviews have been pretty positive as well. It's the ancillary stuff that's getting some critiques.

The people on Gamespot just said that if they made a list of all of the things that they liked about the open world aspects of both Horizon and Zelda, the list for Zelda would be twice as long.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

tamusc
AG
And after reading about the Joy-con issues (connection and general comfort for Zelda), I decided to preorder a Pro controller. Best Buy has them available now for launch day.
Bryan98
AG
tamusc said:

And after reading about the Joy-con issues (connection and general comfort for Zelda), I decided to preorder a Pro controller. Best Buy has them available now for launch day.

I'm almost certainly getting one, but I'm going to try the joy cons first, as well as read reviews for the Pro Controller.
The Count of Monte Carlo
Jimbo, what city are you located in?
tamusc
AG
http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/27/14726344/what-the-game-industry-thinks-of-nintendo-switch
tamusc
AG
http://www.polygon.com/nintendo-switch/2017/2/27/14751542/how-to-set-up-nintendo-switch
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
CC just got charged by Best Buy for the Switch and BoTW.
tamusc
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Yeah, they charged my card for all three items (Switch, powered JoY-Con grip and Pro controller) this weekend.
Pman17
AG
Haven't been charged for my Best Buy in store pick up. I guess that will happen Thursday.
3rdGen2015
AG
For those of you who enjoyed Banjo Kazooie/Tooie, the spiritual successor is going to release for the Switch. This was made by some of the programmers that made those original games.

hph6203
AG
Glad they confirmed it, was previously just discussions for it which was pretty strong indication it would happen.
3rdGen2015
AG
Note that there isn't an actual release date like there is for the other consoles though
bbattbq01
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Gamestop put hold on my card on Saturday.

Going to try to hit target Friday morning see if I can snag the neon version... my preorder is for the normal. Plus need to grab the pro controller!
hph6203
AG
Nintendo needs to keep doing stuff like this to bump up the value of their system.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.