Nintendo Switch - Buying or not?

47,598 Views | 471 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Pman17
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
double aught
AG
tamusc said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Looks like Nintendo finally got tired of all the leaks and early unboxings on the internet.

They put out their own Switch unboxing on their official channel.

Must. Resist.
Here's the actual video

Unboxing videos are a nerd bridge too far for me. But in more important news, she could get it.
powerbelly
AG
I have never understood the point of an unboxing video.
Pilmer
AG
powerbelly51 said:

They are for lolpoors.
bbattbq01
AG
Got email from GameStop that they are charging my card on Saturday and shipping on Thursday next week.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
tamusc
AG
Early "pre-reviews" are dropping now.

http://www.theverge.com/2017/2/23/14703736/nintendo-switch-hands-on-impressions-preview

http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/23/14704332/nintendo-switch-pre-launch-impressions
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Uh oh. Multiple reports of issues with the Joy con.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1346789
tamusc
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Uh oh. Multiple reports of issues with the Joy con.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1346789

Yup, they mentioned the random disconnects in those pre-reviews I linked. Seems like the only fix is to either use them with them directly connected to the console or use the Pro controller. Hopefully it's just buggy firmware they'll fix with the day 1 patch.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Hoping so. No way a hardware issue that big could get past testing, right?
tamusc
AG
One would hope so.

Also, I've seen a couple of previews with similar comments about the Joycons feeling awkward for Zelda and the Pro controller felt great.

http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/23/14704126/nintendo-switch-control-options-pro-controller
Pman17
AG
powerbelly51 said:

It's a tech fetish some people have.
chipotle
Well, glad I'm saving my 400 dollars.
Pman17
AG
Kotaku pointed out a really cool hidden feature. You can update other people's consoles when there's no internet nearby. This will be great for events like PAX. Especially when Nintendo comes out with some Super Smash Bros update and your hotel wifi may be crap.

Just hope no dumbass sends a virus.
powerbelly
AG
Pman17 said:

Kotaku pointed out a really cool hidden feature. You can update other people's consoles when there's no internet nearby. This will be great for events like PAX. Especially when Nintendo comes out with some Super Smash Bros update and your hotel wifi may be crap.

Just hope no dumbass sends a virus.

Yep, nothing bad could possibly come from this.
Claude!
No virtual console at launch, I hear. That's a bummer.
Pman17
AG
There's a Day 1 update when you get the console so hopefully it was something Nintendo caught during production.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
chipotle said:

Well, glad I'm saving my 400 dollars.
What was the extra $100 for?
Pro Ag
AG
Switch, one game + tax

I decided earlier this week to cancel my preorder with Amazon and I am glad I did after checking back here.
powerbelly
AG
These launch issues are why I stopped preordering games/consoles.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
And now I'm reading about a ton of cancelled pre-orders on Amazon for the BOTW Master Edition.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/5vn5a0/loz_botw_master_edition_amazon_order_cancelled/

This is quickly turning into a cluster****...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
How come?
3rdGen2015
AG
It wouldn't be a Nintendo launch without lack of supply. I think I might hold out on buying this until Mario Kart comes out. My birthday is early May, so I might get it for myself as a birthday present.
powerbelly
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

And now I'm reading about a ton of cancelled pre-orders on Amazon for the BOTW Master Edition.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/5vn5a0/loz_botw_master_edition_amazon_order_cancelled/

Nope, no supply problems here
Bryan98
AG
powerbelly51 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Nope, no supply problems here
I wouldn't blame Amazon overselling something on Nintendo - this is something they do periodically. I pre-ordered a card game last year for day one delivery and later got notified that they wouldn't get it to me day one and might not get it to me for months. I did end up getting it maybe two weeks late, but that sucked.

Anyway, I'm keeping my neon Switch preorder. This left joycon issue is already well known, and I'm sure that it will either get fixed or Nintendo will replace a bunch of joycons - they can't hide from this, and they desperately need this console to be a hit.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm thinking this is like 70/30 on Amazon/Nintendo. Amazon probably way oversold their preorders before they had exact numbers on quantity. Not to mention, plenty of people whose orders were cancelled pre-ordered the second it went live.

Amazon is really screwing people over here.
powerbelly
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Amazon is really screwing people over here.
With nintendos history I am not so quick to blame amazon.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It makes no sense for someone who preorderd the minute it was available to be hit with a cancellation.

They should at least be cancelling preorders in reverse order.
hph6203
AG
Nintendo's history of being up front about a lack of supply? If its exclusively an Amazon supply issue, then it would stand to reason that it's 100% Amazon's fault for incorrectly relaying supply amounts. Amazon has gotten sloppier as they've increased their customer base, and they basically make up for the mistakes in volume.

Feel sorry for those that wanted their plastic sword and aren't going to get one now.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So far there haven't been reports of any BOTW Master Edition cancellations by any other retailer.
Pman17
AG
I preordered a neon version for in store pick up at my local Best Buy. Will pick it up when I get home the next day. Zelda, Bomberman, and a case/screen protector bundle will be waiting for me at home from Amazon. Already got a 6' USB-C cable and a 128GB Micro SDXC Class 10 U1.

Best Buy and Walmart showed up first for online orders. Glad I didn't order from Amazon. Though I've pre-ordered the Xbox One S for day 1 delivery and got it from Amazon and those sold out.
lobwedgephil
Pman17 said:

There's a Day 1 update when you get the console so hopefully it was something Nintendo caught during production.
You don't get the virtual console in the update, Nintendo says coming soon.
tamusc
AG
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/02/nintendo-switch-impressions-out-of-the-box-and-into-our-hands/
Pman17
AG
The charging port was a bad design but I'm hoping for a battery backpack that attaches to the back of the switch with a USBC Dock at the bottom. Somebody is gonna make one
tamusc
AG
Pman17 said:

I thought the Switch's USB-C charging port would mean I could use any standard external battery pack to charge the system away from an outlet on long trips. Testing with the Jackery Titan S, though, I was only able to get a trickle charge of about 1 percent every six minutes. That charge was so weak that, during normal gameplay, the Switch actually died on me while it was still plugged in to the external battery pack.

This could just be an issue of Voltagethe packaged wall outlet is rated for 15V/2.6A, while the battery pack is only rated at 5V/3Aor it might be an issue with confusing USB-C charging standards. In any case, don't expect perfect compatibility with third-party chargers.
This quote from the Ars article doesn't exactly fill me with optimism that it'll play nice with standard USB chargers/battery packs.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.