Nintendo Switch - Buying or not?

47,545 Views | 471 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Pman17
Super Aggie 64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Neon Switch is available at Walmart.com. I just ordered one for pickup at my local store on 3/3.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/55449981
hph6203
AG
Ordered one, we'll see if it holds up. Not excited about the neon, but it's whatever. Maybe it'll keep me from putting them on the wrong side.
QBCade
AG
Thanks for posting! Got one last night. - meaning a preorder
tamusc
AG
Official reviews are starting to come in. The big gap in all of them is what the hell the online components of the Switch ecosystem, since even the reviewers haven't seen what is included in the day one patch that contains basically everything related to the online system.

There are definitely some complaints about the kickstand and the fact that the Joy-Cons are a bit of a compromise (though still decent). There appear to be some Joy-Con connectivity issues. The Pro controller sounds like a winner.

From the perspective of it as a mobile game system, it sounds like a winner other than middling battery life.

http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/1/14773542/nintendo-switch-review

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-switch-the-kotaku-review-1792776350?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/03/nintendo-switch-review/

http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/1/14772530/nintendo-switch-review-zelda-breath-of-the-wild
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It shipped! (Well, just BoTW for now.)
Jim01
AG
My BOTW shipped.

I was able to win a pre-order on eBay that is coming from Amazon. I won the auction for $330. The guy already changed the shipping address to ship directly to me. When he did that he sent me a message that changing shipping to TX changed the sales tax and he would now be losing $5 on the deal and would I be willing to cover it. I told him once it arrived I would. I don't think he understands eBay if he thinks $5 would be all he is loosing on this deal Then again I am not considered it done until it arrives at my door.
Jim01
AG
For those still on the hunt, BrickSeek has started showing WalMart's inventory if you want to check and see what local stores might give you the best change on launch day.

Grey

Neon
3rdGen2015
AG
Cool site. It looks like both of your links are searching for neon joy-cons. When I changed it to gray, it isn't coming up with any stock which is odd.
hph6203
AG
Shows tons of stock for the Walmart's around me (25-30 per store) for the grey joy-con switch. Going to hang on to my Neon Joy-Con pre-order until Friday and see if I can buy a grey one instead.
3rdGen2015
AG
Hmm, odd. 52901821 is the SKU I found for the gray ones, did you search a different number?
hph6203
AG
I used the number that was appended to the end of the URL on their website: 55449983. It pulls up the Nintendo Switch Gray Joy-Con.

http://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker?sku=55449983
tamusc
AG
Nice bonus with the Pro controller, though it's not perfect.

http://www.polygon.com/nintendo-switch/2017/3/1/14776568/nintendo-switch-pro-controllers-works-on-pc
The Count of Monte Carlo
I have a pre order grey that I'm not going to keep. It's already shipped though. Anyone in Houston want it let me know otherwise I'll return it Sunday. My email is: j w t e x a g s @ g m a i l . c o m
Jim01
AG
Fixed
Pilmer
AG
I'll take it off your hands Count.
The Count of Monte Carlo
Done.
tamusc
AG
Less than two days before launch and we finally get a look at the shop.

http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/1/14778138/nintendo-switch-eshop-news-video
Bryan98
AG
hph6203 said:

Ordered one, we'll see if it holds up. Not excited about the neon, but it's whatever. Maybe it'll keep me from putting them on the wrong side.
Just FWIW, it appears that there are way more greys than neons out there, at least for now.

Random Switch thought: I'm hoping I can hold out on buying more joycons until they come out with different colors. Having all different colors has appealed to me since at least Gamecube days.

On Friday I'm going to be looking for a physical BotW; I should have pre-ordered, but I was thinking I'd go digital. Now I'm thinking that I might as well stick something in the game slot, and this is a fairly big game, so it's most efficient to put it there. Plus then I don't have to wait out the download to start playing something on my new system.

Might also grab a Pro controller if I happen upon one, but my plan is to just try using the joycons in the grip and see how I like that. I don't think it'll be clear for a while what the optimum combination of controllers is. I've got to have four for Mario Kart, but will my kids be okay with joycons while adults will insist on something larger? I'm glad the system comes with two joycons and the grip, because that ought to serve for long enough to get some clarity on what the best combination of controls will be.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I keep checking my UPS tracking, it's an addiction.
hph6203
AG
The UI looks great on everything I've seen so far, way more simplified than the other consoles, and way more grown up than any other Nintendo system. Hopefully they realize that kids are capable of understanding mb/s and GBs for downloads, the download indicator irritated me on the 3DS, because it obscured the speed of the downloads.
tamusc
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Do you have a tracking number for the console?? All three of my items are still sitting at "Preparing" with Best Buy.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yeah, I got the shipped email earlier today.
Pman17
AG
My Breath of the Wild shipped from Amazon. Bomber man is about to ship. My Switch is expected Friday, but in store pick up so they haven't charged yet. Hopefully I don't get screwed on that. Picking up Saturday morning.
Bryan98
AG
tamusc said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Do you have a tracking number for the console?? All three of my items are still sitting at "Preparing" with Best Buy.
At 4:08pm I got a text from Best Buy saying my Switch has shipped. I live in Houston, FWIW.
tamusc
AG
Bryan98 said:

tamusc said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

At 4:08pm I got a text from Best Buy saying my Switch has shipped. I live in Houston, FWIW.
Still listed as "Preparing"
bbattbq01
AG
My Zelda has shipped from Amazon. Gamestop I think said they were shipping console tomorrow.
Bryan98
AG
Bryan98 said:

tamusc said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

And now they're saying it might be delayed until Monday. Son of a gun!
Pman17
AG
My Neon Switch went from processing to preparing for in store pick up at Best Buy. Good sign! My Zelda and Bomberman from Amazon won't get in till Friday night. So glad I won't be home till Saturday, if I was home I'd be in pain waiting.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
From reddit:
Quote:

The Update just went online. I had severe problems with the Joy-Con, like other people too, when it had no clear line of sight to the Switch.

The update fixed this. I can now cover the Joy-Con with my hand, behind my back, in the other corner of the room and it still works fine.
agfan2013
AG
Man I hate to be the wet blanket on the eve of this release but I'm still seeing some fairly negative reviews on the hardware itself. Sounds like a consensus all time great game in zelda, so I definitely want to play that at some point. But I saw IGN gave the console itself a 6.7 out of 10. Problems with the joycon controllers, only a 2 hour battery life while playing zelda mobile, and then another 2 hours to charge it back to 85%....yikes. Then said that even with its cartoon-y cell shading the framerate struggles at 900p on a TV.

I will still probably get one of these down the road, but not before it goes on a discount. I just dont think there will be significant 3rd party support and so far in the first year all I'd be interested in was the Zelda & Mario games and I dont feel like paying $300 just for that. Feel free to bookmark this and throw it in my face years down the road if im wrong, but I think this will sell somewhere between the wiiu and where the XB1 is currently (so 10-25 million roughly?)
A is A
AG
SIAP But thought this was interesting

Switch Carts taste bad!

Response from Nintendo:
"To avoid the possibility of accidental ingestion, keep the game card away from young children. A bittering agent (Denatonium Benzoate) has also been applied to the game card. This bittering agent is non-toxic"
3rdGen2015
AG
I'm hoping with the not great hardware reviews coming out, I'll be able to get it semi-soon
Bryan98
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

From reddit:
Quote:

The Update just went online. I had severe problems with the Joy-Con, like other people too, when it had no clear line of sight to the Switch.

The update fixed this. I can now cover the Joy-Con with my hand, behind my back, in the other corner of the room and it still works fine.

There seem to be far more reports that the patch doesn't help with joycon connectivity, unfortunately.
WGann3
AG
agfan2013 said:

But I saw IGN gave the console itself a 6.7 out of 10.
I think that was just an "if we had to rate it now" sort of review. Still a little discouraging though. I'm right there with you on waiting for it to go on discount because I'm really only interested in Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart, and Zelda at this point.
k20dub
AG
It is funny to think about how I grew up complaining when there wasn't light to see my Gameboy and now my kids will grow up complaining when there isn't wifi for their Nintendo.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.