Nintendo Switch - Buying or not?

47,559 Views | 471 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Pman17
hph6203
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anxiously awaiting the virtual console for this system and hoping that they take some of their previous HD remasters and port them over to the Switch (specifically the Zelda games). I really don't want to boot up my Wii U to play those games because I absolutely despise the kiddy UI.

I hope Nintendo keeps the simple clean UI they have right now with tweaks necessary to account for game library increases. For my money it's the best console interface.
Bryan98
AG
Blaster Master Zero came out today, as well. Although apparently it doesn't support the Pro Controller for some reason - that's supposed to be patched in next week.
bthotugigem05
AG
Still haven't been able to find one anywhere...
AustinAg2K
Gamestop has them, but you've got to buy their bundle for $500+.
tamusc
AG
The official Nintendo store has the Switch Dock back in stock for $60. This is the version that is just the Dock, without any cables or the AC adapter. The version with the HDMI cable and power adapter is still $90.

http://www.polygon.com/nintendo-switch/2017/3/13/14912678/nintendo-switch-dock-back-in-stock
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
So I posted this over on the BOTW page, but if I am buying a console just to play Zelda, what are the differences between the two systems? Are there large differences between the two versions?
Pilmer
AG
Champ Bailey said:

So I posted this over on the BOTW page, but if I am buying a console just to play Zelda, what are the differences between the two systems? Are there large differences between the two versions?
With one you will be able to play it on a tablet (switch), with one you will not (wii U). With one, you will be buying a piece of hardware that is dead (wii u), with one you will not (switch). Switch renders at 900p, wii u renders at 720p.
tamusc
AG
Champ Bailey said:

There's some graphical differences to be sure, but I don't think there's too much otherwise.

This article does a pretty good job of showing the difference.

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/03/zelda-breath-of-the-wilds-switch-and-wii-u-versions-compared/

Edit - As Pilmer hinted at above, I wouldn't buy a Wii U just to play Zelda, unless you can get one for basically free as the Wii U is dead.
tamusc
AG
Anyone experience this issue?

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/03/nintendo_switch_wi-fi_issue_could_be_why_your_games_keep_dropping_frames
Bryan98
AG
Pilmer said:

Champ Bailey said:

With one you will be able to play it on a tablet (switch), with one you will not (wii U). With one, you will be buying a piece of hardware that is dead (wii u), with one you will not (switch). Switch renders at 900p, wii u renders at 720p.
This is the second case I've heard of where a person considered buying a WiiU for this game. I don't get it. The world hated the WiiU and it was considered a sales failure. The world loves the Switch and is thrilled for the future of its "play anywhere" philosophy. NOW some people want to get a WiiU for a game that's on both machines?

And FWIW I am the biggest WiiU fan I know. Such a great family console.
hph6203
AG
tamusc said:

Anyone experience this issue?

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/03/nintendo_switch_wi-fi_issue_could_be_why_your_games_keep_dropping_frames

Yes, it's the worst experience I've had with the game, but to be honest in probably 20-30 hours of playing I've only experienced the screen lock down 2 maybe 3 times.
tamusc
AG
Not a bad start for Nintendo. These numbers would probably be higher as well if they weren't supply constrained yet again.

http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/14/14921130/nintendo-switch-sales-launch-first-week
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Bryan98 said:

Pilmer said:

Champ Bailey said:

This is the second case I've heard of where a person considered buying a WiiU for this game. I don't get it. The world hated the WiiU and it was considered a sales failure. The world loves the Switch and is thrilled for the future of its "play anywhere" philosophy. NOW some people want to get a WiiU for a game that's on both machines?

And FWIW I am the biggest WiiU fan I know. Such a great family console.

Well the real reason is that I called 5 Walmarts in the area and when I asked them when they are getting more Switches, they replied that they aren't getting more switches.

tamusc
AG
They will, they just have no f'ing clue when that will be.
Snoopy03
AG
I hooked the switch up to my living room tv and seem to be having an issue. With the switch in sleep mode and hooked to a couple of controllers for charging my tv will randomly change the input. Not sure but it might be happening when the controllers start charging.

Tv is a samsung ks8000.
3rdGen2015
AG
I think there is a setting on the switch that keeps it from auto switching the TV input. I'm not sure where it's at though, I haven't gone looking for it.
hph6203
AG
Do you have CEC enabled on your TV? The switch setting is called under settings>TV Settings>Match TV Power State.
Snoopy03
AG
Just googled it and it seems to be a common problem.
https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/social/questions/detail/qid/48818/~/sleeping-switch-auto-switches-hdmi-input-on-samsung-smarttv/session/L3F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDg5Njc0NjgxL3NpZC9mVXY1UDh6VG8xWVh5QXRERjVDeG5Ia2NtT0haRGJZX3N6TEJ2VCU3RTlMN2t0U1F1eWdLcjlnSWtzRXFHN1Z2VGRHYU8yUV9SRE9UM0g2alNnaXZyeHFzRTZ0SkJsSGowZkdmNXhvS3UxdkxqblVlSE13dUhzV29tUSUyMSUyMQ==

I've been disconnecting the hdmi cable from the dock. It is not staying in the living room so it's not a huge deal but it is annoying when watching tv and the input auto changes to a black screen. TV does not do this on any other device that is hooked up.
Bryan98
AG
Snoopy03 said:

I hooked the switch up to my living room tv and seem to be having an issue. With the switch in sleep mode and hooked to a couple of controllers for charging my tv will randomly change the input. Not sure but it might be happening when the controllers start charging.

Tv is a samsung ks8000.
I have this issue as well, but it has only happened on two occasions. At the time the Switch was on an HDMI hub that auto-sensed sources that were sending signals and switched to them. I've taken it off that and given the Switch its own input on the TV.

If there's another way to fix this, I'd be thrilled to implement it.
tamusc
AG
Nintendo is doubling production for this year to 16 million consoles based on initial sales.

http://engt.co/2nykr8a
chipotle
I've been watching secondary markets for switches. Prices are falling prett quick. Started out around 600 per unit and now we're around 400-450. Tons of craigslist options in my area. Not gonna buy you scum sucking asshats.
Saxsoon
AG
There was a guy buying 3 at my gamestop. Either that or he had preorders at a couple different stores. Asshat
titanmaster_race
Marsuvees said:

There was a guy buying 3 at my gamestop. Either that or he had preorders at a couple different stores. Asshat

screw that guy
agfan2013
AG
tamusc said:

Nintendo is doubling production for this year to 16 million consoles based on initial sales.

http://engt.co/2nykr8a

Impressive that demand is perceived as high enough for them to double production. My less than 25 million prediction might be very wrong if they actually move all 16 million that they produce in a single year.

Guess they were a little gun shy from the wiiu's failure, only producing 8 million consoles a year was pretty conservative. There are still plenty of gamers these days and the PS4 is somewhere around 60 million after 3.5 years so I dont know why they wouldnt target 40+ million sold from the get-go, at their original production numbers of 8 a year that would take them 5 years assuming every single unit is sold and by that time its probably past time for new hardware...

Anyways, I found out I've got a trip up to the pacific northwest for work coming up in a few months so I may be looking to buy one for myself sooner than I expected, hopefully supply starts to stabilize over the next couple of months.
tamusc
AG
Has anyone gotten a USB-C battery pack to charge this on the go? If so, which one and does it work well?
titanmaster_race
I think the initial low production numbers were definitely a result of low wiiu sales.

I imagine nintendo probably doesn't care too much that supply is far lower than demand, right out of the gate. They can always crank up production, which is what they're doing. And from their perspective, it's certainly not a bad thing to have the masses scrambling and desperate for your product, as long as you will eventually produce enough supply to meet the demand.
titanmaster_race
oops, wrong thread
titanmaster_race
wrong thread....
titanmaster_race
If anyone feels like getting ripped off by gamestop, there's a $522.99 bundle online right now.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitchDeals/comments/5zxuya/gamestop_usa_switch_bundle_523_now/

It's really a horrible deal, but if you want a switch badly enough...
titanmaster_race
Also, it looks like gamestop stores are getting a shipment of consoles next week. In store purchase only.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitchDeals/comments/5zxzup/gamestop_instore_usa_nintendo_switch_console_299/
hph6203
AG
I don't think it's a stretch to say that this is the most I've enjoyed playing a console within the first couple of weeks of purchase.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Anyone had trouble with wifi signal strength? I have sort of crappy wifi signal in my living room, but my Roku gets by. Switch is hardly ever able to connect, though.
tamusc
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Anyone had trouble with wifi signal strength? I have sort of crappy wifi signal in my living room, but my Roku gets by. Switch is hardly ever able to connect, though.
Yup, the WiFi is pretty weak and slow.
QBCade
AG
After playing with the switch some - I hope they bring over most of the 3DS games either via VirtaConsole or remasters. Hope they expedite this as this is a great replacement for 3DS. If they could also get some of the top iPad games, that would be huge
Bryan98
AG
QBCade said:

After playing with the switch some - I hope they bring over most of the 3DS games either via VirtaConsole or remasters. Hope they expedite this as this is a great replacement for 3DS. If they could also get some of the top iPad games, that would be huge
They would basically have to be remasters since the Switch only has one screen. Same with DS and WiiU games.

I would absolutely kill for a remaster of Super Mario 3D Land that made the game playable with four players like Super Mario 3D World, which is my favorite Mario ever and an amazing experience in family gaming.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.