Nintendo Switch - Buying or not?

47,597 Views | 471 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Pman17
powerbelly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
QBCade said:

After playing with the switch some - I hope they bring over most of the 3DS games either via VirtaConsole or remasters. Hope they expedite this as this is a great replacement for 3DS. If they could also get some of the top iPad games, that would be huge
I think there is a niche for each and don't think the switch is at all a good replacement for the 3DS.
agfan2013
AG
Yep, I still think the switch has to take some of the 3DS' market share to be successful at moving more units. But the more I've thought about it, there almost is two different niches that they both could fill and do well in. The 3DS is a true portable, you can slip it into a pocket and that's it. The switch doesn't seem that way (correct me if I'm wrong, I've yet to hold one or see it up close), it's not just something you can stash in a pocket and pull out when you need it. You'd need a case, backpack, briefcase, or whatever for transportation. That's a different appeal depending on people needs or situation.

And yes to super Mario 3D land/world. Loved playing that on the wiiu, super fun game and one of the reasons I'll pick up a switch down the road. Nintendo always hits a homerun on 3D Mario games.
hph6203
AG
Is there even a market for what the 3DS does better than the Switch? Do people just "slip their 3DS in their pocket" and play it? Feel like it's more of a commuter device, which the Switch is perfectly capable of.

Either way, if the Switch sells what they're tracking in the first year production wise (16 million), then I think you can kiss the 3DS game development goodbye. Nintendo will shift the 5 minute at a time gameplay experience that you get on the go over to mobile, and the medium to long gameplay sessions to the Switch. They'll up their first party development numbers to unprecedented levels due to the combined platform, introduce several standalone apps for mobile, and probably do companion apps to their games where appropriate (Animal Crossing etc.)
Bryan98
AG
Great question, hph. There are lot of people who apparently care about pocketability, but I would wager that anyone who is stressing that as a problem for The Switch hasn't played Zelda on one yet. The Switch isn't pocketable, and you absolutely must carry it around in some kind of bag, but having one of the highest-rated AAA games ever made playable anywhere is transformative. It really is the gamer's dream of packing up the game you're playing on console and continuing it wherever you go.

I dreamed about this kind of thing back when the Gameboy came out (which I never got, but listed after). The PSP was somewhat close, in that it played games that were essentially just one generation behind the curve (it was also not truly pocketable).

Anyway, I agree that Nintendo is hoping that the Switch does well enough to make it their one and only platform, and all indications are that it's happening. I have a question for those who don't want this brave new world: Have you tried it? You need to get your hands on it to be fully informed.
powerbelly
AG

Quote:

Have you tried it? You need to get your hands on it to be fully informed.
Yes, I have played around 3 hours on switch and dont really care for it for mobile gaming.

FTR I do plan on picking up a switch once some more games are released.
agfan2013
AG
Quote:

highest-rated AAA games ever made playable anywhere is transformative

I still think yall Zelda nerds are overestimating its pull on the system. Is it helping sell systems? of course, ecause its the only must have game on it right now. But one game does not sell a system. If people want it for the portability or mobile gaming around their house, they are going to get it or not regardless of zelda. The switch needs a good 1st year of games to keep its momentum going; mario kart, splatoon, and mario Odyssey should definitely help it out in that area.

I also still think true portability of the 3DS vs mobile gaming that the switch offers is something to watch and if nintendo does start to phase the 3DS out or not.
Bryan98
AG
agfan2013 said:

Quote:

highest-rated AAA games ever made playable anywhere is transformative

I still think yall Zelda nerds are overestimating its pull on the system. Is it helping sell systems? of course, ecause its the only must have game on it right now. But one game does not sell a system. If people want it for the portability or mobile gaming around their house, they are going to get it or not regardless of zelda. The switch needs a good 1st year of games to keep its momentum going; mario kart, splatoon, and mario Odyssey should definitely help it out in that area.

I also still think true portability of the 3DS vs mobile gaming that the switch offers is something to watch and if nintendo does start to phase the 3DS out or not.
One of the benefits of being a nerd is being able to compose a coherent, grammatical, intelligible sentence.

Or in other words, wut?

Bryan98
AG
powerbelly51 said:

Quote:

Have you tried it? You need to get your hands on it to be fully informed.
Yes, I have played around 3 hours on switch and dont really care for it for mobile gaming.

FTR I do plan on picking up a switch once some more games are released.
Fair enough. I don't care at all about pocketability, myself. I only cared about it in the past because of Streetpass functionality, which the Switch doesn't have.

I am very willing to trade away pocketability in order to take an amazing game like Zelda anywhere I want and play it on a gorgeous, sizeable screen. I also enjoy the off-TV play within my house.

More games are coming, and Mario Kart 8D will likely arrive before I finish Zelda.
powerbelly
AG
I agree on the awesomeness of playing an AAA title on a portable device.

I think there are games that make good use of the dual screen on the 3DS and the 3DS is a bit more portable and rugged.

It will be interesting to see what Nintendo does with their consoles in the next few years.
agfan2013
AG
Whether or not Nintendo completely phases out the 3DS or not will have an affect on switch sales. Also, whether or not consumers place value on true portability (being able to stick it in a pocket and go like the 3DS) or having to have some sort of case to carry it around and an extra hassle, will also determine how well it sells.

Happy?
Bryan98
AG
agfan2013 said:

Whether or not Nintendo completely phases out the 3DS or not will have an affect on switch sales. Also, whether or not consumers place value on true portability (being able to stick it in a pocket and go like the 3DS) or having to have some sort of case to carry it around and an extra hassle, will also determine how well it sells.

Happy?
I was already happy that lunchtime is nearing. Now I'm ecstatic.

I would differ with your definition of "true portability", which is why I use the term "pocketability". Any iPad other than the mini is larger than a Switch, and they are all rightly considered portable - even my large iPad Pro is considered "portable".
Saxsoon
AG
Brought my switch twice to work to play on the van ride in and at lunch. Playing Zelda like that was amazing
titanmaster_race
For anyone still looking for a switch, Target seems to be in the middle of restocking their stores. All along the west coast today and yesterday. Hopefully the restock will make its way to Texas soon.
tamusc
AG
titanmaster_race said:

For anyone still looking for a switch, Target seems to be in the middle of restocking their stores. All along the west coast today and yesterday. Hopefully the restock will make its way to Texas soon.
I had a friend get one at Best Buy today. Apparently the store he got his at got three in.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I just got mine in last night. It's awesome, but I'm a little disappointed that there is no other way to charge the controllers when I'm playing on the TV without dropping an extra $30 on the charging controller.

Zelda has been a blast though.
titanmaster_race
Do you know what store? I'm curious if those consoles showed up on istocknow
Maveric
AG
Picked one up at Gamestop in Brenham today. They received 5.
tamusc
AG
titanmaster_race said:

Do you know what store? I'm curious if those consoles showed up on istocknow
Tyler
titanmaster_race
Called my local best buy on a whim. After listening to their automated message saying not to ask about switches, I asked the guy who answered when they were getting some. He said they had some in store! There were 3 left after I got one.

Did not show up at all on the istocknow website, and still hasnt. I guess that site doesn't work well with best buys.

Best part is, I snagged a BoTW special edition online last week, and it just came in today!
titanmaster_race
Maveric said:

Picked one up at Gamestop in Brenham today. They received 5.

You were lucky. Apparently the whole thing was a massive scam. Ship crazy low numbers of actual consoles, advertise it, then throw preorder switch bundles at people who weren't the first 5 in the store.

"Sorry, we're out. BUT HERE'S A ZELDA BUNDLE WITH HEADPHONES AND A STRATEGY GUIDE FOR $460"
Bryan98
AG
Be aware some of the Switch docks are apparently warped and have scratched peoples' screens. I recommend a tempered glass screen protector:

Nintendo Switch Screen Protector Glass, amFilm Nintendo Switch Tempered Glass Screen Protector for Nintendo Switch 2017 (2-Pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N3ASPNV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_shMRdHuTSDyyX
3rdGen2015
AG
Got that protector in yesterday, plan on putting it on later tonight. Will report back.
titanmaster_race
thanks for the tip
3rdGen2015
AG
Alright, just got it on. It's a good thing it's a two pack because I screwed up the first time. They give you a flimsy piece of cardboard so I lifted it up from the corner to try so ease the bubbles out and when I put it back down all the way, the glass was deformed just slightly. Note that you can do this if you are careful, just don't pull up too hard. So if you have something a little better for this kind of thing than a piece of cardboard, use that to get the bubbles out. Or just be careful putting it on.

I've also heard that with some protectors to let them dry for at least a day to let the adhesive dry and to not play it in the dock during the dry time. Don't know if that's true, but I'm going to wait.
Bryan98
AG
Fwiw I didn't wait, and while I did get an air bubble that I couldn't get rid of, it apparently disappeared on its own after a day or two.
Vade281
AG
amfilm is the best. it's the only protector i've ever used that i had zero bubbles. i recommend washing your hands with soap before you begin to get the oils off your fingers.
Pman17
AG
titanmaster_race said:

Called my local best buy on a whim. After listening to their automated message saying not to ask about switches, I asked the guy who answered when they were getting some. He said they had some in store! There were 3 left after I got one.

Did not show up at all on the istocknow website, and still hasnt. I guess that site doesn't work well with best buys.

Best part is, I snagged a BoTW special edition online last week, and it just came in today!
Yep! Back when the Xbox 360 was in short supply, you actually had to go to Best Buy, ask someone, and then they go to their conference room and pull out a 360 from their secret pallet of Xbox 360s. I got the second to last one. Then someone else saw I had one in hand and got one.
Pman17
AG
Finally got my case this week that's on backorder at Amazon.

Fyi, any of you military folks, be sure to check the bases. I know Switches are hard to come by there but I saw the Exchange had pro-controllers in stock online.
Pman17
AG
Happen to find a Pro Controller at a small Texas town Walmart. They had two of them and full joycons.
bthotugigem05
AG
istocknow tipped me off to some inventory at Best Buy in Dallas today, proud owner of a new Switch!
Pman17
AG
I made a Japanese account. Pretty cool. You can get into the Japanese eShop and play Japanese games since the Switch is not region locked.
JBAggie00
How did you pay for the Japanese game? I entered my credit card but it did nothing.
Pman17
AG
I only got the demos but I think you would have to buy Japanese eShop cards or game codes.
Bryan98
AG
Try googling. I know lots of people are buying Japanese games somehow.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Heights Walmart has a bunch of just the base system right now if anyone is still looking.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.