Nintendo Switch - Buying or not?

47,574 Views | 471 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Pman17
Bryan98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
blindey said:

Heights Walmart has a bunch of just the base system right now if anyone is still looking.
You're a fine Ag.

I am continuing to enjoy the Switch's ability to be played anywhere, on my TV, whatever. Last weekend alone I played it on my TV (so did my kids) and played it as a handheld on my bed and on my couch while something else was on the TV. It really is a great evolution of the WiiU design.
CDub06
AG
A buddy finally got one at the Bryan target earlier today. And now he just sent me a picture of two on the shelf in the Humble Target.

Are these getting easier to find? Or is this coincidence?
chipotle
CDub06 said:

A buddy finally got one a thing the Bryan target earlier today. And now he just sent me a picture of two on the shelf in the Humble Target.

Are these getting easier to find? Or is this coincidence?

Probably folks returning them after they thought they could stock up and bank on Craigs/ebay. Prices are down to 370 in my area.
Bryan98
AG
They are periodically getting restocked, and it seems like maybe they aren't then selling out as quickly. I mean, eventually we'll get to the point where they will be constantly in stock. I don't think we're there yet, though.

In other news, Zelda continues to delight! My wife even started her own game last night. My 7 and 5 year olds have been playing for a while. Our dog is the lone holdout.
Bryan98
AG
There's a Nintendo Direct at 5pm today that's focusing on Splatoon 2 and ARMS.

I'd love some surprised announcement about new tracks in Mario Kart 8, but that's probably a pipe dream.
Pman17
AG
Pman17 said:

The charging port was a bad design but I'm hoping for a battery backpack that attaches to the back of the switch with a USBC Dock at the bottom. Somebody is gonna make one

Boom!
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/switchcharge-a-battery-case-for-nintendo-switch#/

Pman17
AG
Bryan98 said:

There's a Nintendo Direct at 5pm today that's focusing on Splatoon 2 and ARMS.

I'd love some surprised announcement about new tracks in Mario Kart 8, but that's probably a pipe dream.

Tons of games!

Minecraft May 11!
Bryan98
AG
For any of you Switch owners who didn't own a WiiU (and that's a lot), Mario Kart 8 is the best Mario Kart ever - although its lack of real Battle Mode kept it from being perfect.

You probably know this, but Mario Kart 8 Deluxe comes out April 28, and adds Battle Mode! Absolute must-own for just about everyone.
chipotle
Bryan98 said:

For any of you Switch owners who didn't own a WiiU (and that's a lot).

And there lies my problem. I feel jilted in the whole Mario kart 8 thing having fun played it quite a bit on wiiU.
Bryan98
AG
I don't like having to pay twice, especially since I bought digitally and can't sell my WiiU copy, but I am very excited about having the definitive version and playing Battle Mode with my kids.
mjpfeffer98
AG
I was at the Nintendo Store in NYC this morning. They put a daily shipment of Switches up for sale every (weekday?) morning, and it's A LOT of them. They're for sale starting at 10:00AM, the employee I talked to said people typically start lining up at 6:00AM for them. EVERY DAY.

They probably had a couple hundred consoles for sale today, I didn't get one because the line was already several hundred long when I got there just after 10. Just posting this for anyone who lives near NYC and is really looking to score one.
double aught
AG
That's pretty impressive, considering how long it's been out.
chipotle
Cedar park Walmart

Saxsoon
AG
We need to get a friend code Mario kart 8 dx thread going
Bryan98
AG
Marsuvees said:

Sounds like you just volunteered to start it and maintain the list in the OP! =D
Pman17
AG
Looks like all the controllers are easy to get now. Pro Controllers in stock on Amazon. I see them sitting on shelves at Walmart and Bestbuy.
Pman17
AG
Bryan98 said:

Marsuvees said:

Sounds like you just volunteered to start it and maintain the list in the OP! =D

I'll make one
tamusc
AG
If anyone is still looking for one, they are in stock on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Switch-Gray-Joy-Con/dp/B01LTHP2ZK/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493316518&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=kamiko%2Bswitch&th=1
bigbass1170
AG
Finally found one. And if anyone in Houston is still looking for one the Best Buy off bunker hill has 6 left
GarlandAg2012
AG
Any tips for snagging one in DFW? Not positive I want one but debating.
Pman17
AG
Pman17 said:

Dang, for a giant price of plastic with connectors and a $20 power adapter and $10 HDMI cable. I'll just wait for a Nyko ripoff.
WABAM!

"Nyko's new Portable Docking Kit, announced at E3 2017, solves that problem by offering a miniature, $45 Switch dock that will both allow you to prop up your console and connect it to your TV over HDMI while charging it, as spotted by Gizmodo. "

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/6/13/15793502/nyko-portable-docking-kit-nintendo-switch-dock-e3-2017
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Looks like we have a long console life ahead of us.
QBCade
AG
I have been thoroughly enjoying Street Fighter. Online matches suck though due to lag.
Pman17
AG
8Bitdo Announced some new controllers!

https://twitter.com/8bitdo
txag2k
AG
Dam... i was not going to get a switch...

but.....

Metroid.
tamusc
AG
I know what I'm buying!
heddleston
AG
Holy crap I just bought the NES30 controller. I should have waited! That NES Advantage looks amazeballs.
Cepe
AG
I'm getting ready to buy one of these soon! Thanks for all the updates - it really helps
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Nintendo really timed their release of the Switch well.

First wave of sales was driven by Breath of the Wild (and general new console hype).

Then they dropped MK8 a few months later.

Now there is a lot of hype around it with the E3 announcements.

Super Mario Odyssey is dropping in just a few more months, which will drive sales even more than Zelda did.

And then the holiday rush after that.

The console has sold all of its stock through the first three months, and likely will continue to do so through at least January of next year.
TriumphForks
AG
Agreed. Options were limited at launch but it didn't matter because of Zelda. Three months later I am still getting value out of my original play-through and the first DLC is about to drop on top of that. Not to mention there's lots to look forward to. This E3 was huge for Nintendo and I can see there being lots of holiday hype around the Switch which could prove to generate a large second wave of sales.
QBCade
AG
Anyone played ARMS? Ordered it for my family to play and curious as to the response.
agfan2013
AG
Despite being one of its bigger critics in the beginning, I did pickup a switch for a seveal day out of state work trip I had. It's good tech and compliments my PS4 well. I still wish I would've waited for a bundle to cheapen it up a bit but I did get good use on the trip out of it and probably play it once or twice a week at home right now.

Nintendo's showing at E3 has me feeling a lot better about getting it as they basically are releasing a big time game for it every 3-4 months. Way better than the large stretches of nothing with the WiiU. Zelda is a lot of fun but I don't think it's the greatest game ever made like a lot of the Nintendo fanboys. Mario kart 8 needs no explanation, it's insanely fun.

Will pickup Odyseey maybe one or two more games this year for it, too many triple A games on multi platform at the end of the year that I'm interested in.
Cepe
AG
Got a unit at Best Buy over the weekend with he red/ blue controllers.

I am loving BoTW. Great game.

Will start looking for the accessories soon - looks like a pro controller is a good investment? I didn't pay much attention to that part as I was perusing this thread. . .
tamusc
AG
Cepe said:

Will start looking for the accessories soon - looks like a pro controller is a good investment? I didn't pay much attention to that part as I was perusing this thread. . .
Yup, the Pro controller is excellent and far better than the tiny Joy-Cons, especially if you have average to large sized hands.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.