Nintendo Switch - Buying or not?

47,547 Views | 471 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Pman17
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Probably 30 as well.

I would've hoped that it could at least do 60 on TV and 30 on portable.
rhutton125
AG
I don't understand how new consoles still get released with pathetic launch title options. I passed on XB1 and PS4 for a full year because nothing stood out as a must-have. Zelda being exclusive is about it, but...... yeah. I can wait. Or pass entirely if needed.
Pman17
AG
Prepared for this, ordered mine. Will pick it up on day 2. Two Months of Zelda then MarioKart 8 on the 28th of April. Will be nice to travel with I carry my Xbox One around every week. Slow launch but will pick up. I'm expecting these will sell out over the Holidays.
tamusc
AG
Some new info and some non answers from Nintendo.

http://trib.al/iFMvL1v
CrottyKid
AG
I wish people would stop buying Nintendo consoles so maybe they would just make games for PS, Xbox, and PC.
hangman
I ended up buying the wii u because I was bored and wanted to play Mario Kart 8. I'm not sure it was worth it for primarily that single game but MK8 is the best mario kart I've played since 64.

With that said I will definitely pass on the switch for launch and probably the foreseeable future. $300 is a more expensive price point than competitors for inferior quality tv gaming. The portability is only 3 hours (what is this a sega game gear?). If I didn't have a wii u the value proposition goes up. MK8 and Zelda. I think a $250 price point would have made more sense to be the same as the xbox one and ps4.
hph6203
AG
I'd expect that Nintendo is going to do a Direct in a couple of weeks clarifying those questions, rather than blowing it on an interview with Kotaku. Hope they have the full slate of 64, SNES, and NES games at launch, with GameCube and potentially Wii later.

Biggest answer out of that whole thing (to me) is that they're exploring the use of USB external hard drives. Given that there is a USB port on the dock they could make it so you can store your full game library onto the external hard drive and then transfer that software data onto and off the internal MicroSDXC card.
DanHo2010
AG
I'm thinking I'll probably buy, but not anytime near launch. Probably work through some of my backlog and get the Switch around the holidays. I still haven't played Skyward Sword, so I need to at least do that before BotW.
double aught
AG
Skyward Sword, not surprisingly, is outstanding.
hph6203
AG
This is why Nintendo can't rely on third party support to sell their console, whether it's ports of old console games or new ones. They need to focus on their first party lineup and indie games along with whatever content the third party publishers make that can run without modification.

Madmarttigan
AG
Things like that are why I'm done buying a nintendo console. It is fun for a week or two to play mario/mariokart but you can't play the other games that I would spend 90% of my time on like Titanfall, battlefield, COD etc.
hph6203
AG
To be fair, that guy is a grade A dick, so his sentiment is probably not 100% consistent with other devs.

I'll get the console for random indie games and for plane flights.
bigbass1170
AG
I'm getting one. If not on launch day, soon after
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Haven't been able to pre-order anywhere. Amazon, Best Buy, or Gamestop.
HeavyMetalAg
AG
Have you tried in-store at Walmart? That's how I snagged mine. They aren't accepting preorders online, but you can do it at the layaway desk. Mine only had the grey controller option, which is what I wanted, so you may be out of luck if you want the neon controllers.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Oh really? Good to know, I'll have to call some of the stores up. I only went to Gamestop in person and all I could do was sign up for email notification as soon as they started doing preorders. Apparently they had gotten zero information about inventory.
HeavyMetalAg
AG
The weird thing is, they had no way to pre-order games in-store. I had to order the new Zelda on their website and select pick up at store to get it on launch day. Seems to be a very convoluted system they have going on.
Pman17
AG
I'm not pre-ordering Zelda. They'll have plenty at the stores. Hopefully I can just download the game at launch, I'm not a fan of physical copies. I didn't pre-order any accessories as well. Hopefully those don't sell out, just want the controller attachment.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Even though it's more hassle, I like having the physical copies. I guess I have a collector's mindset.

I could've downloaded Wind Waker HD but I went to the store to pick it up just so I could stack it up with the rest of my Zelda games.
NC2001
AG
If NCAA Football was still available and it was going to be on the Nintendo Switch, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. But for now, I think I'll wait and see how it pans out.
WGann3
AG
What was the last Nintendo console an NCAA football game was on, GameCube? Did they ever make one for Wii?
Pilmer
AG
NC2001 said:

If NCAA Football was still available and it was going to be on the Nintendo Switch, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. But for now, I think I'll wait and see how it pans out.
I would argue any system that put out an NCAA video game would see an uptick in console sales.
AggieVictor10
AG
rhutton125 said:

I don't understand how new consoles still get released with pathetic launch title options. I passed on XB1 and PS4 for a full year because nothing stood out as a must-have. Zelda being exclusive is about it, but...... yeah. I can wait. Or pass entirely if needed.
Launch titles for new hardware are typically scarce because the install base isn't there yet, safer to make titles that play on both current and old gen at the beginning of a new console generation to recoup the money spent to make the game.

At least, I'm pretty sure that's why.

On topic, I want to get a Switch but probably not at launch. There's a few games I want for it but my backlog is already pretty stacked. I don't need to add new hardware + games to that list. I'll probably snag one before this year's Holiday Season, if I can.
AustinAg2K
I pre-ordered one and am pretty excited about it. The last console I bought was a Wii, and I liked it a lot. To me, the specs don't really matter. I can't see a difference between 1080p and 4k. What really matters for a console are the games, and I am far more interested in the games on Nintendo's systems (Zelda, Mario, MK, Kirby, etc).

One thing I like about Nintendo is that they try creative things with their hardware. Not everything works, but they definitely are more creative than Sony or Micrsoft. The Xbox and Playstation are basically the same as their original forms, just with better hardware.

I also don't get why people are saying the Switch is priced too high. From what I can tell, pre-orders are sold out everywhere. If anything, one could make a better argument it is priced to low.
tamusc
AG
Being sold out for Nintendo is meaningless as they typically struggle to meet demand or keep the supply intentionally low to make it seem like demand is higher. We'll see what their actual sales numbers look like afte a few months.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I would agree with you, but they can't afford to do that right now. They need to ship and sell as much as they can.

Doubt this is an artificial shortage.

Quote:

In fact, according to one retailer, the Nintendo Switch is performing better than the PS4 when it comes to initial sales.

Swedish retailer Webhallen confirmed this as a fact for them on their Facebook page, writing: "We are only in January, but 2017 already looks to be Nintendo's year.

"The Nintendo Switch already has more pre-orders than PS4 launch day sales.

"The entire first shipment for March is sold out, but we recommend you to keep checking back, so you can get your hands on any future shipments."

There is also reports in Japan that demand on the official Nintendo Switch Pre Order site forced it offline, due to high demand.
http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/gaming/760424/Nintendo-Switch-Pre-Order-update-Price-Switch-games-news
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Where did you pre-order?
tamusc
AG
I know I've been a bit of a negative nelly on this thread, but I really do hope this early report is true and the Switch is a successful product that secures Nintendo's future.

I do plan on picking up a Switch a few months after launch and hope they really are able to keep up with demand for once.
chipotle
I think I'm done paying the mario/zelda/metroid tax. Since I'm just more of a casual gamer I'll probably just get a gamevice for an iPad Pro.

I may cave in and get a switch depending on how things go initially.

sichair
AG
First Nintendo since the SNES I will be purchasing. Playing the Wii at my brother's house reminded me of the good time. Plus I think Nintendo is suited well for my young kids.
Tod92
AG
I like turn-based RPGs, so when I realized for the cost of a single Nintendo game I could get ~50 of KEMCOs cookie-cutter RPGs for Android on sale, I went to that.

It isn't everyone's cup of Dr Pepper, but it works for me.
AustinAg2K
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Where did you pre-order?

I preordered mine on Amazon the day it was announced.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Dang. Guess I shouldn't have taken a couple days to make up my mind.
Fenrir
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I would agree with you, but they can't afford to do that right now. They need to ship and sell as much as they can.

Quote:

In fact, according to one retailer, the Nintendo Switch is performing better than the PS4 when it comes to initial sales.

Swedish retailer Webhallen confirmed this as a fact for them on their Facebook page, writing: "We are only in January, but 2017 already looks to be Nintendo's year.

"The Nintendo Switch already has more pre-orders than PS4 launch day sales.

"The entire first shipment for March is sold out, but we recommend you to keep checking back, so you can get your hands on any future shipments."

There is also reports in Japan that demand on the official Nintendo Switch Pre Order site forced it offline, due to high demand.
http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/gaming/760424/Nintendo-Switch-Pre-Order-update-Price-Switch-games-news
I'm not sure that a single Swedish retailer means a whole lot. Hopefully they don't supply constrain themselves too much but they don't have the best track record in that regard. Definitely seems to have better news surrounding this upcoming launch than the Wii U ever did so that's good at least...
agfan2013
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Well actually it is...

Nintendo uping production

I mean, I don't blame them for pacing themselves considering how the wiiu sold, but there would be a lot less of a shortage if they would max out their production.

Agree with fenrir, one Swedish vendor doesn't mean much, now if one of the big boys like Amazon or Walmart says something, then you've got a case.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.