Nintendo Switch - Buying or not?

47,566 Views | 471 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Pman17
bthotugigem05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Appreciate the tip, they're all out now. Eh that's what I get for waiting to see how reviews of BotW turned out before ordering.
Pman17
AG
Add me
My friend code is SW-5076-1544-9029
Pman17
AG
Earlier today I went to League City Best Buy to pick up my Nintendo Switch and saw the Zelda display was empty at the front door. Went back later today to get $100 back from just buying the Oculus Touch last month since the price dropped 50% and saw I think 4 copies of Zelda.

Saw at 4pm Victory Lakes Best Buy, call if y'all can't find some in Houston Area
Pman17
AG
Got Shovel Knight for the Switch. I'm excited for virtual console games! Doesn't demand much power. For travel it's just best to use low power games. Loving this big screen vs my 3DS.
NC2001
AG
So...what's the overall verdict in the Nintendo Switch? Yay or nay?
tamusc
AG
NC2001 said:

If you can't wait to play Zelda: Breath of the Wild (which is now one of the highest rated games of all time and I've really enjoyed), get it now. If you aren't into Zelda for some reason, I'd wait until there are more games and we know more about Nintendo's online strategy.

My only concern with the system right now, other than the fact that I think that the $70 Pro Controller is pretty much required when not playing in full mobile mode, is the inability currently to backup or copy saves. Honestly, the new Zelda is so good and I've found the ability to play it on the go so rewarding that I'm okay with every other compromise Nintendo made. However, the thought of losing my Zelda save via a dead/lost/stolen/broken console makes me nervous and is totally inexcusable considering the console has both a microSD slot AND an internet connection.

The best way I've read to describe it is who everyone that currently owns a Switch is a beta tester, but we're rewarded by getting a fantastic game like Zelda before anyone else.
Pman17
AG
NC2001 said:

I like it. Has so much potential! There's nothing you can really do but play Zelda. If you get it without Zelda, you're just wasting your money right now. 1-2 Switch is crap, I don't have it but I heard. Bomberman is Bomberman best with friends locally. RMX racing game is cool but minimal racing game. The only other decent game than Zelda is Shovel Knight but that's on any platform.

If you skipped the Wii U and craving Zelda and MARIO Kart in April, then that should be enough to justify buying it now. We're not gonna see anything new till E3.

Yay, for the Second half of the year.
Bryan98
AG
I agree with these guys. Getting to choose between handheld or TV mode is really great. Zelda seems great so far. Mario Kart 8 is the greatest MK ever, and the new one has the only thing it was missing: real battle mode.

Splatoon 2 this summer, and all kinds of indies along the way. Blaster Master Zero is only $10 and comes out next week. With co-op of some kind.
Jim01
AG
I've only played about 5 hours of Zelda but love the Swith so far. Haven't even tried mobile yet. I was worried about people saying Zelda was hard with the Joycons but it hasn't been bad for me. Not nearly bad enough to warrant paying for the pro controller.
Pman17
AG
The pro-controller would be nice to have but it's over priced. For big hands does feel a bit cramped in hand held mode and holding without the joycon attachment (not the wrist strap things) is difficult to manage the thumb sticks. I battery life is decent for the joycons. Hated having to charge them when I got the system. The joycon attachment helps but Why Nintendo? Why is there no way of charging my Joycons while gaming? They should have put a USB-C port in the joycon attachment.
tamusc
AG
Pman17 said:

The pro-controller would be nice to have but it's over priced. For big hands does feel a bit cramped in hand held mode and holding without the joycon attachment (not the wrist strap things) is difficult to manage the thumb sticks. I battery life is decent for the joycons. Hated having to charge them when I got the system. The joycon attachment helps but Why Nintendo? Why is there no way of charging my Joycons while gaming? They should have put a USB-C port in the joycon attachment.
The Pro is MUCH better for people with big hands. I'd don't mind the Joy-Cons when attached to the console in mobile mode.

The only way to charge the Joy-Cons while gaming is either in portable mode with them connected to the console or get the Joy-Con Charging Grip, which has a USB-C charging port and internal battery for charging the Joy-Cons. Of course, the Charging Grip is another $30, so yeah,no way to charge the Joy-Cons while playing on your TV with the default package.
Bryan98
AG
Pman17 said:

My joycons came charged.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Had my first extended play session in portable mode today. (Played BoTW until the battery ran out.)

This thing is awesome. Hardly a difference from playing on the tv. This thing is going to be a godsend for train and plane rides.
I Like Mike
AG
Still sold out all over the place. Come on, Nintendo....let's get some more consoles please....
rangerdanger
AG
They had one left at the Fry'e Electronics by me but you had to buy a $60 warranty on top of it to get it. I've never seen a large brick and mortar try and price gouge like that. Just going to be patient.
bthotugigem05
AG
Pretty sure that's illegal, but oh well.

I think it's smart of Nintendo to limit supply like this at first.
adamsbq06
AG
Reminds me of when best buy used to "preconfigure" PCs and then force customers to payfor it.
Wildmen03
AG
AdamsBQ06 said:

Reminds me of when best buy used to "preconfigure" PCs and then force customers to payfor it.
Not as bad as them adding the Geek Squad package to all of their PCs and then charging you money to REMOVE it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/6/14836170/nintendo-switch-broke-sales-records-americas-zelda-two-day
Pman17
AG
Pman17
AG
rangerdanger said:

They had one left at the Fry'e Electronics by me but you had to buy a $60 warranty on top of it to get it. I've never seen a large brick and mortar try and price gouge like that. Just going to be patient.

Good thing in my opinion. You don't get anyone buying them up for resale.
hph6203
AG
Gotta really not be paying attention to put the straps on the wrong side. Nintendo should've keyed them, but in what universe would they come out of the top of the controller?
AustinAg2K
Pman17 said:

There are defective products with every type of electronic device. TVs, PS4, etc. Remember the Ring of Death on the XBox? Hell, I had to return a couch because the seams ripped after sitting on it for a week. The internet can make it feel like every product is defective. As long as Nintendo takes care of those systems that are broken, I don't see the big deal.
Pilmer
AG
hph6203 said:

Gotta really not be paying attention to put the straps on the wrong side. Nintendo should've keyed them, but in what universe would they come out of the top of the controller?
If you don't notice the + and - on the grip as you slide it on, you end up with it locked on like this.
hph6203
AG
The triggers are on the top of the controller, the strap comes out of the bottom, the +/- signs shouldn't even be your starting point? Put controller in hand, grab the strap and make sure it ends up on the bottom, joy-con strap confusion solved!
Pilmer
AG
hph6203 said:

The triggers are on the top of the controller, the strap comes out of the bottom, the +/- signs shouldn't even be your starting point? Put controller in hand, grab the strap and make sure it ends up on the bottom, joy-con strap confusion solved!

The strap slides on from either direction, that's a design flaw.

Putting the strap on is also useful when using the joycon in a situation where you need the shoulder buttons to be larger than an iphone volume button. It's not always assumed that the orientation of the control is to have the trigger buttons to the top.
byfLuger41
hph6203
AG
Maybe I'm miss understanding the issue, it's that they're putting the left strap on the right joy-con and vice versa, not that they're sliding it in from the bottom vs. the top, right?

The strap should always be on the opposite end of the triggers is all I'm saying, and that can only happen in one configuration...

And again, they should have keyed the left joy-con/left side of the switch/left joy-con strap so that you can't mix them up, but it's also not hard to pay attention to what you're doing. Even if they keyed them you'd have silly people forcing them on wrong.
dcaggie04
AG
Pilmer said:

hph6203 said:

The strap slides on from either direction, that's a design flaw.

Putting the strap on is also useful when using the joycon in a situation where you need the shoulder buttons to be larger than an iphone volume button. It's not always assumed that the orientation of the control is to have the trigger buttons to the top.
They can't account for every idiot in the world.
Pilmer
AG
hph6203 said:

Maybe I'm miss understanding the issue, it's that they're putting the left strap on the right joy-con and vice versa, not that they're sliding it in from the bottom vs. the top, right?

The strap should always be on the opposite end of the triggers is all I'm saying, and that can only happen in one configuration...

And again, they should have keyed the left joy-con/left side of the switch/left joy-con strap so that you can't mix them up, but it's also not hard to pay attention to what you're doing. Even if they keyed them you'd have silly people forcing them on wrong.

It's the same, left/right or top/bottom. The straps look the same, except for the acknowledgement that the strap goes opposite of the triggers. The straps slide down the railing easily on both joy-cons, until they click and then you have the situation in the video.

The point is that this type of thing should have been caught in R&D. Capping off the railing on the joy-con would have prevented the ability to easily slide the wrong strap down the wrong joy-con.

The same R&D oversight shows up with placing the charger port on the bottom of the switch to prevent charging while in kickstand mode.

QBCade
AG
AustinAg2K said:

Pman17 said:

There are defective products with every type of electronic device. TVs, PS4, etc. Remember the Ring of Death on the XBox? Hell, I had to return a couch because the seams ripped after sitting on it for a week. The internet can make it feel like every product is defective. As long as Nintendo takes care of those systems that are broken, I don't see the big deal.

My Xbox One has many of these issues still. Plus it gets a disc stuck in it about 1/month.
AustinAg2K
I just tried and you can slide the straps on either way and take them off. I don't think the issue had anything to do with putting them on backwards. Sometimes I find it hard to take the straps off even when they are on the right way. I think that's all that happened, but showing them eventually get them off ruins the point of the video.
Pman17
AG
Was just pointing out the defects. My Switch is working fine.
AustinAg2K
After having this thing for five days, I've decided it's not a perfect system, but it is a game changer. The ability to play AAA games on a big screen or go mobile is awesome. I'm not sure what Nintendo's plans are for the future, but I could see them going with a strategy where they release a new version with better hardware every two years. You could do something like phones where the games are playable on multiple generations, but look better on the newest. A lot of people spend $200-$300 every year on their phone. I could see people doing the same for a device like this.
Pilmer
AG
Pman17 said:

Was just pointing out the defects. My Switch is working fine.

I'm glad you did, I've been handling mine like a baby ever since.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.