Rocket League

175,321 Views | 1303 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by johnnyblaze36
theNetSmith
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sweet. I'll give you boys a little time to prepare yourselves mentally before I start uploading clips of my awesomeness.
Buck O Five
AG
Do many of you find your skill level in 2v2 vs 3v3 significantly different?
FormerLefty
AG
Agreed, not trying to create an argument here. Just frustrated that my favorite part (social multiplayer with friends) of my favorite game has been ruined.

Having a "party only" standard or doubles playlist would be interesting. From my limited knowledge of the community, I think there would be a vocal minority of the higher level players that wouldn't like this. I don't know what the right answer is, it's just frustrating that we are all constantly having to experience Psyonic's trial and error approach to player rankings, matchmaking, and tournament creation/management.
FormerLefty
AG
quote:
My son was put in a game last night with one of the devs from Psyonix, which I thought was pretty cool. Would have been a good opportunity to air these kinds of complaints to someone directly.

That's really cool. I've seen that the devs are online in matchmaking quite a bit but I've never been paired with or against them.

As far as airing complaints, the devs are also very active in www.reddit.com/r/rocketleague. There has been a ton of discussion on this topic coming from both sides. If you've never checked out their RL community it is worth the visit. I've learned a lot of new RL skills from tutorials and videos posted over there.
theNetSmith
AG
I asked him today how he knew for sure that the guy was a dev and not just some kid talking crap. Apparently, the dev had some other "title" under his name as opposed to "expert", "master", etc.

I have seen the reddit thing, but haven't spent much time there. as for the tutorial videos, I already know all there is to know.
FormerLefty
AG
Maybe you can teach me how to aerial???
HBtriplesticks
AG
quote:
Do many of you find your skill level in 2v2 vs 3v3 significantly different?

Less about the skill level, I think, but my game is immensely more suited to doubles. I often find myself readjusting position constantly in 3v3, or clearing the ball long instead of playing closer to the ball so that I can beat the second man.
theNetSmith
AG
quote:
Maybe you can teach me how to aerial???
I used to be so jealous of my son because he picked up the ability to play in the air far quicker than I did. My advice is just to do it -- try to, anyway. The more you try and fail, the quicker you will start making the little adjustments in the air that you need to in order to meet the ball. The goalie and striker practice (on highest difficulty) do help, but it's really different in game situations.

A few other tips...

Get the nose of your vehicle pointed upward as soon as you get off the ground. Took some getting used to, but is second nature now.

You don't have to hold down the boost button the entire time you're in the air. In fact, most of the time, you don't want to. If you "pump" the button -- on-off-on-off -- as you are flying, you will have more control over your flight.

Once you get the hang of meeting the ball with your vehicle in 3-dimensional space, you'll have to add to that the ability to tap the jump button again to "hit" the ball with force. Same concept as the double-jump, but with a delay in between the button taps. If that delay is too long, you won't actually "hit" it with the 2nd press of the button -- nothing happens.
shertown04
AG
Playing 3v3 ranked and my team is Challenger 1, Challenger 1, Challenger 2 and the opposing team was Challenger 1, Prospect 1, and Prospect 2. Granted I can't tell if they were in a party or not so maybe that was why it was lopsided.
Bryan98
AG
We have an XB1 group right now, y'all.
FormerLefty
AG
This is not the right direction in regard to boosting.
FightinAggie07
AG
Well playing with Spikeout was your first problem.
Bryan98
AG
It does my heart good to see my TexAgs peeps and my GWJ peeps still gaming together.
FormerLefty
AG
Hell yeah. You were the catalyst that brought us all together. Now the GWJ RL guys are my people.
Bryan98
Whooooooooooooooop
AG
Have to say, it is a little surprising Newt did not carry yall to victory there. He would usually be the MVP when paired with the likes of you and Spikeout.

I am glad I was able to play a private match with you and show you the ins and outs of aerials last night lefty. Hopefully that will help you get better and we can play together in a ranked match soon.
HBtriplesticks
AG
quote:
Have to say, it is a little surprising Newt did not carry yall to victory there. He would usually be the MVP when paired with the likes of you and Spikeout.

I am glad I was able to play a private match with you and show you the ins and outs of aerials last night lefty. Hopefully that will help you get better and we can play together in a ranked match soon.

Some day, Lefty, you'll get there man. Don't get discouraged.
Buck O Five
AG
Lefty beat a group of us 1v3 a while back. Granted, some whiskey was involved, but had to put the game away for a while after that.
Sixers_Fan
AG
For some reason I didnt get this notification. I just checked and I didnt realize I had an underscore in my name. so it should be Berry_Schiavo
FormerLefty
AG
What's your PSN? I don't see you on the front page
Buck O Five
AG
Talon2007
jr15aggie
AG
I'm tired at work today. Why? Because this game sucks, that's why!!!!!
shertown04
AG
I saw the teaser on the main screen, but here is a link to the new Rumble mode for next month's update.

Power ups:
  • The Boot (Kicks an opponent's car)
  • Disruptor (Forces your opponent to drive uncontrollably)
  • Freezer (Freezes the ball in-place)
  • Grappling Hook (Pulls you towards the ball)
  • Haymaker (Punches the ball)
  • Magnetizer (Attracts the ball to your car)
  • Plunger (Grabs the ball via plunger and cord)
  • Power Hitter (Allows you to hit everything harder)
  • Spike (Attach the ball to your car when you bump into it)
  • Swapper (Change positions on the field with your opponent)
  • Tornado (Sweep up the ball and opposing cars into a giant funnel cloud)

Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Xboners, do y'all get some weird audio when you first start the game? Goes away after like 5 mins or a force quit?
Bryan98
AG
Sometimes, yes. I force quit and restart.
sdc177
AG
AGinHI - if you get a chance please update my Steam handle to "Usidore, Wizard of the 12th..."
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
quote:
Sometimes, yes. I force quit and restart.
Hah. Fair enough.
Glad to hear it isn't just me, though.

I'm getting much better at the game since getting it a month ago. Finally can use ball cam effectively, though I still turn it off when setting up a long shot.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Got this lucky save tonight.

FormerLefty
AG
quote:

Looked like all skill to me.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Thanks!
AGinHI
AG
quote:
AGinHI - if you get a chance please update my Steam handle to "Usidore, Wizard of the 12th..."
Gotcha

also fixed Sixers_Fan's gt and added Buck O Five's gt to the list.

I'd like to jump in with y'all sometime, but I suck--like, playing the first hour when RL came out kind of suck. So, I'm as good as I was back in July of '15.

theNetSmith
AG
quote:

Sweet! Well-played!
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Calculated.

Nice one!
fav13andac1)c
AG
Wow!
Thanks!
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
quote:
Wow!
Thanks!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.