Rocket League

174,703 Views | 1303 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by johnnyblaze36
Michael78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Also, stoked out of my mind for this. Great video to get hyped

Halibut
AG
That video is awesome. This is the first season I've really followed the RLCS/pro scene and I can't wait for this weekend. Unfortunately I'm really busy through Sunday, but I'll find a way to catch up on the VODs.

Seriously considering going to next season's LAN, depending on where it is.

Halibut
AG
PSA for those of you who are going to be watching RLCS this weekend, and/or those of you who like getting unique items in the game.

If you link your twitch account with your PSN, Steam, or XBL account, you might get some in-game items when you watch RLCS.

Here's the announcement:
https://www.rocketleague.com/news/fan-rewards-rlcs-world-championship-weekend/

And here's the page where you can link your accounts:
http://rewards.rocketleague.com/

Halibut
AG
Now that day 2 is in the books, here are some thoughts about the LAN so far.

I gotta say that NRG looks like the favorite. Mock-it looks good too, and their upper bracket match tomorrow should be really good. I expect Flipside will make a run in the lower bracket. Rogue looked really good yesterday and I hope they return to form tomorrow. Those are my top 4 (in that order).

I'm really disappointed that Dappur's HS graduation had to be today. That dude has serious skills, and Selfless played way worse without him.

The upper bracket games today were really exciting. Top-level play without a doubt. The lower bracket games weren't as good (fortunately I had work to distract me).

Alpha Sydney deserved the invite. They proved at least one OCE team belonged. JAM was out of their league.

I got a drop from the stream. Certified (sweeper) RLCS decal for octane. Cool to get a drop, but bummer it's for a car I never play.

Unfortunately I can't watch live tomorrow, so I'll have to avoid Twitter and try to catch up on the VOD.
Halibut
AG
Well, my predictions were way off except for Mock-It.

The grand finals were great. For a reserve player, Turbopolsa played out of his mind. Both teams played almost mistake-free and it really could have gone either way.

Also, this was announced:

FormerLefty
AG
Really enjoyed watching yesterday. Northern Gaming was in top form all day.
FormerLefty
AG
And I guess the grind to Champion starts today...
theNetSmith
AG
I also got the RLCS decal for the Octane, plus a painted (Saffron) Helios rocket trail.

There were over 180K streams at one point while I was watching yesterday. That's pretty awesome.
Halibut
AG
The matches themselves were awesome. The level of play from the top teams was pretty insane. I wish NRG or Rogue had made it to the grand finals because I think the crowd would have gone nuts. But NG and Mockit definitely deserved to be there based on how they played yesterday.

Production-wise, I think this season has been fantastic. The regular season stuff was good, and the Overtime show was a great way to catch up on what happened each weekend. Overall, what they've showed on the streams each week has been pretty professional.

There are a few changes I hope they make for next season:
Try to make the player interviews less awkward. The prerecorded interviews were good, but most of the live ones were really cringy. (YT personalities like Sizz being an obvious exception.) They should spend a day and have the players go through media training. And they should replace the host with someone like johnny_boi (if they don't bring him on as a caster/analyst).
Invite more regions. Asia and South/Central America would be fun to watch.
Hold the LAN in a place I want to travel to.
Gregg Papivich
https://www.rocketleague.com/news/competitive-season-4-rewards/

Guess I'm stuck with the platinum rocket trail
Tophat266
rip. I thought I had more time to hit GC. Should probably start playing ranked
Halibut
AG
You still have a few weeks to grind, right? I think I just need 1 or 2 good nights to get to diamond.
Tophat266
Yeah I got a few weeks but I'm working a lot and GC is gonna be a really tough grind
theNetSmith
AG
Tophat266 said:

Yeah I got a few weeks but I'm working a lot and GC is gonna be a really tough grind
Halibut
AG
Rocket League coming to the Switch. Cross platform play with
steam and xbox

theNetSmith
AG
Oh, wow... that is pretty big news!

I take it you were referring to cross-platform between Switch-Steam and Swith-Xbox... I've been wondering why there isn't cross-platform between Steam-Xbox...
theNetSmith
AG
Oops... apparently, Xbox One players have been in the mix since May 24 (I think)... I just didn't realize that they were there because they show up with the "PSY NET" avatar just like the Playstation players do.

http://rocketleague.wikia.com/wiki/Cross-platform_play
jr15aggie
AG
Screw this game and the random clowns it gives me for teammates!

That is all.
Gregg Papivich
jr15aggie said:

That is all.

I agree, mike and sher need to quit clowning
Agmaniacmike12
Gregg Papivich said:

jr15aggie said:

That is all.

Shoot me a message if ya'll ever want to play. I don't get on Rocket League unless I see friends on and I bet some of you are the same way.
shertown04
AG
I'm on at some point most nights. Fell from Gold 3/Div 3 all of the way to Gold 1 so I'm grinding my way back because I want platinum before July.
jr15aggie
AG
Quote:

Right... good thing I have Solid to help boost me up... oh wait, no, he shows up drunk with his Platinum Ranking and brings in all the top talent so it's up to my awesome Silver One ranking to help make up for his alcohol induced lag!
jr15aggie
AG
But seriously, it's definitely much better playing with friends. I don't mind with randoms, but I get the worst teams. I'm usually carrying them best I can, but I will inevitably lose 2 or 3 games and my ranking goes right back down. I can't get above Silver II.

Maybe it's best to wait for the rankings to reset or something. I don't really care about rankings, but it feels like I should be in the Golds comparing myself with other players I've seen.

Long story short, yeah, I'll keep sending invites when I want to play.
Gregg Papivich
I was pretty drunk the other night...
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Don't drink and drive/rocket league.

Actually. That is pretty damn fun.
Buck O Five
AG
alcohol plus projector delay plus crappy wifi equals play so bad even Lefty couldn't save our team
Halibut
AG
This goal steal was accidental. Proud of it though.

Whooooooooooooooop
AG
Your first mistake was thinking that Lefty would make positive contributions to your team.

If I have said it once, I have said it a million times: I would have double my career assists if I could trade in all the games I have ever played with Lefty for games with anyone over Bronze 1.
Tophat266
We are back in action on a cca stream for the first time in a while. We will be playing RIT in a friendly drophsot scrim in preparation for the tespa collegiate tournament. Check us at 8 cst today on https://www.twitch.tv/collegecarball. Also we have two upcoming games against Northeastern and Purdue. Both are very good teams and we are 3-3 at the moment so we really need to win those games. I'll post here if we get on stream.
Michael78
If you tuned into that game, please excuse my ridiculous names. It was a friendly scrimm, I was a few drinks in and enjoying myself too much!
Halibut
AG
I had a couple of short but good sessions today. Captured 2 of my favorite moments.

Michael78
This game sometimes...

6 game win streak. 1 win away from champ 2.

Lost 5-4 to an ESL Monthly Elite. That's fine.

Proceed to lose the next FIVE GAMES IN A ROW.

End exactly where I started.

Oh man
agmrpink
AG
Hey team. I picked this up a couple days ago on the Steam sale, but after giving the tutorials and bot games a shot, I really suck. What are some tips y'all have for noobs to get into the game without getting too pissed off?

Edit: Steam acct is agmrpink
Michael78
Tips for absolute beginners:
- Turn off camera shake in the options menu
- Do the tutorials
- Do the trainings
- USE BALL CAM - Free cam will feel easier and more natural at first, but it is better to tough it out
- Don't take it too seriously
- Don't queue ranked

When you're learning the game just worry about having fun and figuring out how to move around, basic car mechanics, etc. Getting consistent/accurate takes a lot of time so don't try to rush in to it.

Tips for week 2 - week 4
- Try get into the advanced trainers and some custom trainers at this point
*I have a google doc with a bunch of customer trainers on it but I'm at work and cant link it. It's on Reddit.com/r/rlcustomtraining though
- Still stay in unranked for the most part
- Focus on positioning, avoid ballchasing, try to position yourself where the ball is about to be and not drive mindlessly towards the ball when another playing is going to get there before you

After you feel comfortable with car control
- Do a lot of custom training and free play
- On my youtube channel (WayproteinRL) there is a video called "The 30-minute Warmup". Check that out
- Watch other youtube tutorials on mechanics you want to learn and positioning
- Dive into ranked
- Play a lot of 1's
- Don't take it too seriously. This game is hard at every level, you are bound to get frustrated. Just brush it off.

I'm in the top 1% of players and I still have to remind myself not to get frustrated with my playing. If you're ever not having fun with it, just take a break.

Hope this is helpful!
Michael78
And also on the subreddit for Rocket League there is a huge link list for beginners, that is also a great starting place

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.