Rocket League

171,807 Views | 1303 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by johnnyblaze36
Halibut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
PS4
Buck O Five
AG
Big fan of snow day, would play
Buck O Five
AG
shertown04
AG
And this is my problem. I've mostly just played 2s with people from here or my nephew since communication and understanding of what your partner is trying to do is even more important on 2s than 3s. I'm also better in 3s because I am more of the setup man (top 2% in the world in assists!). I put up a lot of centers and passes and let the more skilled peeps get the hard to reach goals. I'm also good at being a general pest when the other team is trying to clear and my random teammates are sitting in our own goal just chilling.
theNetSmith
AG
shertown04 said:

And this is my problem. I've mostly just played 2s with people from here or my nephew since communication and understanding of what your partner is trying to do is even more important on 2s than 3s. I'm also better in 3s because I am more of the setup man (top 2% in the world in assists!). I put up a lot of centers and passes and let the more skilled peeps get the hard to reach goals. I'm also good at being a general pest when the other team is trying to clear and my random teammates are sitting in our own goal just chilling.
You have described my skillset to a T. Much more of a passer than a shooter, tho some of my buddies on here would be happy to point out that I also chase a lot! That said, I do know how to rotate.

That last comment you made really strikes a chord with me. Often, I am able to stop a counterattack before it begins by blocking a clearing attempt in the offensive corner or high up on the side wall. And when I am able to pop the ball back in front of the opponents' goal, nobody is there to finish b/c they'd already gotten back on D.
Whooooooooooooooop
AG
Anyone going to be on tonight? Would be fun to get some games in with TexAgs folks. Send me an invite if your on PS4. If you are on PC leave a comment so we can get a private match going.
sdc177
AG
on now if anyone wants to play
sdc177
AG
theNetSmith said:

shertown04 said:

You have described my skillset to a T. Much more of a passer than a shooter -NO-, tho some of my buddies on here would be happy to point out that I also chase a lot YES, AND THEN SOME-! That said, I do know how to rotate -DEBATABLE-.

That last comment you made really strikes a chord with me. Often, I am able to stop a counterattack before it begins by blocking a clearing attempt in the offensive corner or high up on the side wall. And when I am able to pop the ball back in front of the opponents' goal, nobody is there to finish b/c they'd already gotten back on D.-WELL, PROTECTING THE GOAL COMES FIRST-
still love ya though man.
shertown04
AG
Looks like they are pushing out a patch for the wall clipping bug. After seeing that in action last night I'm confused how that got there if the update was just adding the cars and fixing a few bugs unrelated to the physics.
Whooooooooooooooop
AG
Getting on an alt account (JohnathanFootbal) tonight if anyone is wanting to play.
theNetSmith
AG
sdc177 said:

theNetSmith said:

shertown04 said:

You have described my skillset to a T. Much more of a passer than a shooter -NO-, tho some of my buddies on here would be happy to point out that I also chase a lot YES, AND THEN SOME-! That said, I do know how to rotate -DEBATABLE-.

That last comment you made really strikes a chord with me. Often, I am able to stop a counterattack before it begins by blocking a clearing attempt in the offensive corner or high up on the side wall. And when I am able to pop the ball back in front of the opponents' goal, nobody is there to finish b/c they'd already gotten back on D.-WELL, PROTECTING THE GOAL COMES FIRST-
that's some tough love right there...
BEaggie08
AG
Saw your request last night as I was finishing up a game of hockey. Forgot to go back and accept before turning it off for the night. I'm a little nervous about playing online. I don't have a headset to communicate, and I'm just not sure if I'm good enough yet.

On another note, I've been trying to play hoops to get better at controlling the ball in the air...that ish is hard. Anyone have any tips?
sdc177
AG
theNetSmith said:

sdc177 said:

theNetSmith said:

shertown04 said:

that's some tough love right there...
Sorry, I couldn't resist. It's fun to mess with ya.
Gil Renard
AG
Whats psy mean on players and also what is ping? Sorry I'm a techi idiot
Whooooooooooooooop
AG
Psy will show for players who are on PC (assuming you are on PS4). Without going into any detail, ping has to do with your connection. Lower ping is good, too high of a ping and you will probably experience some lag.
Whooooooooooooooop
AG
No problem. Dont be afraid to play online, it's the best part! Maybe we can get a few people to play some hoops and work on stuff.
Gil Renard
AG
How do you trade?
theNetSmith
AG
Gil Renard said:

How do you trade?
Not sure how it works on PS4, but on PC, you have to be in the same party with the person you want to trade with. You click on their name/tab at the bottom of the screen while in the lobby and one of the options in the context menu is "Trade" or "Start Trade"...
Gregg Papivich
Finally hit shooting Star in standard... took forever... probably won't get those purple wheels by April though
Whooooooooooooooop
AG
Just my opinion, but I think you would have a better chance of getting to champion by April if you focused on doubles.

Statistically, it is the easiest game mode to get to champion in.

Honestly, the skill gap between shooting star and champion is not as big as you probably think (in doubles). I have never played with you/seen you play, but I would bet there are a few small things you are doing wrong that would be easy to correct that would push you from shooting star to superstar/champ pretty quickly.

The most common thing I see at rising/shooting star is going for unnecessary risky shots/ariels. It is ok to do this if you know your teammate is in a position to defend, but if they just passed from the corner and you fly up for a ball you have a 30% chance of scoring/making a good hit on, the other team is probably going to appreciate that. That said, this is also an easy way for you to score since it happens so frequently at that level. Let the other team fly around and hit weak ariel shots. A big clear towards their goal and they are scrambling and likely out of boost (since they used it going up for the ariel). That is not to say they won't score some of those/your teammates won't yell at you for not going up for ridiculous shots, but I promise it is the fastest way out of shooting star.

Trusting your teammate is also huge (and extremely difficult at times). If you know they are in goal and the opponent puts a shot up, LET THEM SAVE IT. Two people going for the same ball is never good, especially in your own goal.

Again, I have never seen you play, so maybe you do all these things and there is something else. I also know you didn't ask for advice, but it is a slow day at work so I am giving it anyway. The mechanical skill between a shooting star and a superstar/champion is really not that different. It comes down to consistency and playing smart.

Once you are in champion, ranking up is just a matter of doing all of the things that got you there, but at a much quicker pace.

tl;dr: if you want to get champion before April - play doubles, don't go for low percentage shots, make big clears, trust your teammate.

Gregg Papivich
Oh I do both, thanks for the tips though, I play pretty conservative but you can ask sher I've gotten pretty good at aerials. I'm rising star division 5 in doubles so I hover between rising and shooting there. It's taken me way longer in standard, just wanted to do a humble brag
sdc177
AG
Servers messed up right now but if anyone wants to hop into private matches those work. Join with name poop and password poop. Playing now.
sdc177
AG
Just had a bunch join, not due if from here
sdc177
AG
french

wolfman

Had to change the name/password
Gregg Papivich
Just played a 2v2, the other guy was all star, made
One mistake and the guy got all butt hurt and threw the match. Are they all like that lmao
sdc177
AG
Finally made Rising Star

Whooooooooooooooop
AG
It literally never ends. Grand Champs do that stuff too and it baffles me. I think I actually see it most frequently from champions though. It is the price we play for playing a game where a large part of the population is extremely immature.
shertown04
AG
Whooooooooooooooop said:

It literally never ends. Grand Champs do that stuff too and it baffles me. I think I actually see it most frequently from champions though. It is the price we play for playing a game where a large part of the population is extremely immature.

Immature? Nah...What a save! What a save! What a save! Chat disabled...What a save! Trash. Rip
Gregg Papivich
I literally missed an aerial block to go down 0-2, he started spamming chat, I got a quick score and we were down 1-2, but he was complaining that I didn't know how to aerial this whole time so he start playing for the other team... down one point... lmao
Agmaniacmike12
I hit challenger elite rank 3 last week. Internet has been out since Wednesday though. I need your help Sher and Solid.
Whooooooooooooooop
AG
Are they good at fixing internet issues? I think you may have better luck contacting your internet provider.
Whooooooooooooooop
AG
I don't know if any of yall have used Discord before, but I setup a TexAgs Rocket League Discord channel.

I figure this is way easier for putting together cross-network games and being in chat during cross-network games than trying to communicate through TexAgs is.

Hopefully some of yall will find this useful and we can get some private cross-network matches one of these days.

Join the TexAgs Rocket League Discord Channel
[url=https://discord.gg/2QDUzPH][/url]
shertown04
AG
Sorry I let you down last night. Solid is probably out of commission for most of this week since he has a little more important things to deal with right now, haha. Something about getting married or whatever.
FightinAggie07
AG
Somehow all my rankings expired except for Standard, which is weird because I play a lot more Doubles and Solo Duel. If I have to start over, does that actually give me a better chance of being ranked higher if I have 10 good matches? I may want to partner up with someone in doubles if anyone is interested in helping.
Whooooooooooooooop
AG
If you have not played in a certain amount of days on a playlist, it does a small "reset". I don't remember how many days it is before this happens, but it should not make you play 10 games to get your rank back. It should just put you right around where you were previously after 1-3 games.

What rank were you before this happened? I can get on a second account and play with you today/this weekend if you want to play some doubles or standard. We can get you some pretty wheels.

You should create a discord account and use the link I put a few posts above to join the TexAgs channel. There are 4 or 5 of us in it already and it will make getting parties for ranked and private matches a whole lot easier! Plus the voice chat is a lot better than ps4 party chat. Saved me and Lefty from letting in some dumb goals yesterday that would have went in if we were chatting on ps4 due to the delay.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.