Rocket League

174,704 Views | 1303 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by johnnyblaze36
fav13andac1)c
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It doesn't typically bother me. But you can turn all chat off except team quick chat. Definitely see how it could make toxic players less of an issue.
Halibut
AG
shertown04 said:

I'm getting pretty close to quitting this game for good. Nearly 50% of the games have someone that's afk or trolling or being a jerk or playing on the other team on purpose. I've said it before but I get so ticked at some point pretty much every time I play this game.

It helps a lot to play with 1 or 2 players with a headset. Even if you don't have friends who play the game, you can reach out to your rando teammates that you have decent positional/rotational chemistry with. Chances are that they would rather play on a team with comms too.

It gets way easier to ignore (or mock) the toxic chat when you have a teammate to to talk to.

Aside from that, people take the game way more seriously in ranked which can be good and bad. Turn off text/quick chat if it gets really toxic. The only time you really need to communicate as a solo player is during kickoffs, but miscommunication there isn't the end of the world.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Sher, I think I saw you on last night as I was logging off. Next time I'll sent you an invite. Always looking for someone non-toxic to game with. I'm not great though.. Think I'm around gold II or III, in twos and standard... occasionally bouncing into platinum.

XBL: mbole
theNetSmith
AG
Lt. Joe and other Xbox players, my Xbox handle (I think) is NiZaNoSa. I will double-check and correct this post if that isn't right.

Joe, I would probably be on par with you, based on what you believe your rankings are...
Michael78
Howdy all, sorry again for another last minute post about a tournament. I recently graduated and we are in the middle of a leadership switch. But there's a tournament on Monday at 2.

TAMU 2v2 Tournament Information

Date- Saturday 1/13 or Monday 1/15
Time- 2:00 pm CST
Double Elimination
Tournament is open to everyone

Teams will be randomized every round. Participants in the winners bracket will only be paired with other available players also in the winners bracket. Same logic applies to the losers bracket.

1st place team gets $15 each

Signups close tonight at midnight:
https://goo.gl/forms/HtkLWjpdXmf6H0HT2

We should be doing these much more frequently and will be sure to give you more of a heads up.
theNetSmith
AG
mikalandrewg...

thx for the games tonight... that was fun.

-T
Whooooooooooooooop
AG
I am coming out of retirement to win $15 in your tournament. I will use that $15 to pay for the cost of shipping you an autographed picture of me kicking your ass in said tournament. Where do I sign up?
theNetSmith
AG
Love the highlight video, fellas...

Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
I got called garbage the other day because I went for the demolition of an in net goalie in OT. We got the win from it.

Love making players salty from demos.
theNetSmith
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

I got called garbage the other day because I went for the demolition of an in net goalie in OT. We got the win from it.

Love making players salty from demos.
That's not garbage. That's smart play. ****, the pros go for demos all the time. It's part of the damn game.
Gregg Papivich
https://www.rocketleague.com/news/competitive-season-7-starts-in-february/
New season comes out next month. More wheels are the reward
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Gregg Papivich said:

https://www.rocketleague.com/news/competitive-season-7-starts-in-february/
New season comes out next month. More wheels are the reward

Glad I get the platinum wheels... they looks exactly the same as diamond.
jr15aggie
AG
theNetSmith said:

Love the highlight video, fellas...

All those shots where you re-directed the ball backwards into the goal.... pffft... I do that crap all the time!!!! Course, it goes into my own goal and everybody yells at me, but still, calculated!!!!!
Halibut
AG
I could maybe push myself to get the champ wheels, which are definitely the flashiest of the bunch. I'm diamond 3 in standard and doubles, but haven't been able to hit champ yet.

Oh, and here's my monthly highlight dump:

Gregg Papivich
Halibut said:

I could maybe push myself to get the champ wheels, which are definitely the flashiest of the bunch. I'm diamond 3 in standard and doubles, but haven't been able to hit champ yet.

Oh, and here's my monthly highlight dump:

I'm ok with my diamond 1 wheels being the same as your diamond 3 wheels
AggieChemE09
AG
got my diamond wheels!
Gregg Papivich
New season tomorrow.

Got up to diamond 1 in doubles
Halibut
AG
Hell yeah, boys!

Special thanks to Booty and Lefty for staying up late and helping me get these. I owe you guys a beer or 6.
FormerLefty
AG
Can confirm it was a late night. I was dragging ass this morning.
FormerLefty
AG
Halibut said:

Hell yeah, boys!

Special thanks to Booty and Lefty for staying up late and helping me get these. I owe you guys a beer or 6.

#feelsgoodman
Halibut
AG
Was going through some clips and found this. Probably my most calculated shot.

Whooooooooooooooop
AG
Who is signed up for RLCS?

Team Calculator. is made up entirely of folks from TexAgs (FormerLefty, Halibut, and Me) and plans on winning at least a single match. Or at the very least, scoring a single goal.

Opening up predictions now:
-Does FormerLefty score more goals for our team than own goals in RLCS?
-Does team Calculator. win a best 2/3 series?
-Does team Calculator. lose any game by more than 8 goals?
-Does Team Calculator. win RLCS?

johnnyblaze36
AG
Anybody else watching the RLCS stream right now? It's pretty awesome to watch...or depressing depending on how you look at it and how terrible you are like me.

https://www.twitch.tv/rocketleague
Halibut
AG
I've got a stream going for the rewards, but I can't watch this weekend unfortunately. Looks like it's the RLRS play-ins?
johnnyblaze36
AG
Yeah it was the play-ins. Some really good players but not near the skill of a Squishy Muffinz for example. Got caught up watching all of that dude's videos yesterday. My God.
Halibut
AG
Well you could probably count on one hand the number of pros that are at Squishy's level.

Looking forward to watching some games next weekend.
sdc177
AG
So I have ~1500 hours playing on a PS4 controller with the default controller configuration. I've tried to re-map the buttons but just can't stick with it. I think I have hit my ceiling as a high plat-low diamond player with the default set up.

I recently got an Xbox One and am going to download Rocket League soon. But my rule will be to only play with a better config on my Xbox controller when I play on the Xbox One and stick with it. And eventually start using my Xbox controller on Steam too!

So please give me your version of the best Xbox One mapping as I need to settle on something to go forward with.
Halibut
AG
Don't have an Xbox, but I have an opinion/thesis/manifesto

Consider which buttons you use the most.

On the ground: acelerate, brake/reverse, boost, jump/dodge, power slide.

In the air: boost, air roll, dodge.

Now, think about all the situations that are difficult with he default control scheme because you need to be able to use multiple buttons simultaneously. Air rolling while boosting. Driffting while boosting. Jumping/dodging while drifting.

What makes all of these things difficult is that they're mapped to the 4 face buttons, which is designed to be used by a single finger. Whereas the 4 shoulder buttons are designed to be used by 4 separate fingers

So if you really want a control scheme that gives you mechanical flexibility, you need to map the most common functions to the shoulder buttons and only put one critical function on a face button.

Left trigger/L2 = brake/reverse
Left bumper/L1 = e-brake/drift and air roll
Right trigger/R2 = accelerate
Right bumper/R1 = boost
X (a on Xbox?) = jump/dodge

Theoretically you could switch these buttons/functions however you like. The only critical part of this mapping is that the 5 most-used functions can be used simultaneously by 5 different fingers. (Note: you could put air roll on any of the buttons accept the one you use for boost and dodge, but it may make sense to keep it attached to the drift button because your brain is probably trained to hit the same button for both of those things.)

Put the other functions on whatever button is most comfortable. You should have plenty of face buttons left. I leave ball cam toggle on the default binding.

One other thing to consider is binding air roll left or right to a face button to assist with half flips (and I guess tornado flicks info you ever want to learn those). I bind air roll right to circle (PS4) and very rarely mess up half flips.
sdc177
AG
Halibut said:

Don't have an Xbox, but I have an opinion/thesis/manifesto

Consider which buttons you use the most.

On the ground: acelerate, brake/reverse, boost, jump/dodge, power slide.

In the air: boost, air roll, dodge.

Now, think about all the situations that are difficult with he default control scheme because you need to be able to use multiple buttons simultaneously. Air rolling while boosting. Driffting while boosting. Jumping/dodging while drifting.

What makes all of these things difficult is that they're mapped to the 4 face buttons, which is designed to be used by a single finger. Whereas the 4 shoulder buttons are designed to be used by 4 separate fingers

So if you really want a control scheme that gives you mechanical flexibility, you need to map the most common functions to the shoulder buttons and only put one critical function on a face button.

Left trigger/L2 = brake/reverse
Left bumper/L1 = e-brake/drift and air roll
Right trigger/R2 = accelerate
Right bumper/R1 = boost
X (a on Xbox?) = jump/dodge

Theoretically you could switch these buttons/functions however you like. The only critical part of this mapping is that the 5 most-used functions can be used simultaneously by 5 different fingers. (Note: you could put air roll on any of the buttons accept the one you use for boost and dodge, but it may make sense to keep it attached to the drift button because your brain is probably trained to hit the same button for both of those things.)

Put the other functions on whatever button is most comfortable. You should have plenty of face buttons left. I leave ball cam toggle on the default binding.

One other thing to consider is binding air roll left or right to a face button to assist with half flips (and I guess tornado flicks info you ever want to learn those). I bind air roll right to circle (PS4) and very rarely mess up half flips.

Wow, I may have to give this a try but it is a HUGE change! Thanks!

On another note I am constantly toggling ball cam on/off when I play. Am I doing it wrong?
Halibut
AG
Personally, I use a modified version of the scheme I outlined. I made 2 changes over the course of 2 years before I "discovered the truth" and I haven't forced myself to make the last change yet.

Change 1 => Move Air Roll to a shoulder button (L2 for me)
Change 2 => Move boost to R1, map air roll right to circle
**Discovers the Truth of Rocket League Button Mapping**
Change 3 => Move drift to L1, maybe move Air Roll to L1 (Pending)

The biggest reason I haven't implemented change 3 yet is because its usefulness is a lot more situational:
1) It would make wave dashing a bit easier, but that's not a mechanic I've tried to master yet
2) Jumping/dodging out of a power slide. I don't need to do it very often (but I notice whenever it happens).
3) Having Air Roll bound to the same button as Brake/Reverse sometimes messes up a ceiling shot attempt. If I'm not "off" the ceiling yet, hitting that button stops my forward momentum.

Here's my current mapping:

L2 = Brake/Reverse and Air Roll
L1 = <nothing - show scoreboard>
R2 = Accelerate
R1 = Boost
X = Jump/Dodge
Square = drift
Circle = Air roll right
Triangle = Toggle ball cam

I don't know if it would be better to make all the changes at once or to spread them out like I did. If I knew about this mapping earlier, I would have at least attempted to do it all at once. But that might be too big of a change if you've already played a ton of hours with the old mapping.

---------------

Toggling ball cam is useful. You're probably not doing it wrong unless you're giving yourself a seizure or something. I mostly keep ball cam on unless I'm ground dribbling or looking for boost.
jr15aggie
AG
Can somebody fill me in on the loot crates please!

I've opened around 15 crates recently with keys I bought (had MS money I had to spend right away or lose it) and some keys I got from the spring rewards. I've opened the same crate all 15 times (this one has 4 goal animations and a couple cars along with the basic crap). Yeah, I've now got multiple pairs of the crap and not a single new car or goal animation.

Really really frustrating honestly... what gives? Am I doing it wrong? You would think since I already have all the crap it would know this and give me a fighters chance to get the good stuff.
Rule Number 32
AG
welcome to loot boxes, lol. Yeah, the stuff at the bottom of the crate is pretty difficult to get. Usually on the event type crates (like the spring one) there is a higher chance to get the goal explosions or animated decals, but it still isnt a very good chance.

The normal crates have very low hit rates on the explosions and animated decals and wheels. Granted if you spent $15 in keys on it, you probably should have gotten at least one of the decent items, but it wouldnt surprise me if you didnt.
jr15aggie
AG
Screw that then! I'd consider spending some of my own $ to show support cause I play this game a lot, but this system sucks! 15 crates and I'm so happy I have at least 2 wolf decals for a car I don't even know.

Thanks for clarifying. I'll stick to crates when I get free access I guess.
Vade281
AG
I just buy cars so that I know what I'm getting to support the dev. I do get the free keys from the events.
PSN/XBOX/Origin/Epic/Steam/Uplay: Vade281
www.twitch.tv/vade281_
Halibut
AG
One option is to buy keys and find the item you want on a trading site. Trade your key(s) for whatever item you want. You might pay more than 1 key to get it, but at least you get exactly what you want.

2 things to keep in mind with this method.
1) You can't trade keys immediately. They usually have a 7 day hold (I think to reduce credit card fraud).
2) Watch out for scammers.Pay attention to the trade window and make sure it has exactly what you want before you agree to the trade.

https://www.reddit.com/r/RocketLeagueExchange/

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.