******* Cowboys Official Season Thread 2024 *******

41,694 Views | 799 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by double aught
jr15aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I agree with that... i didn't watch the entire game but those holes were indeed huge.

49ers are gonna be a problem once again.
wspagg
AG
SIAP but good article about Aikman.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5734926/2024/09/06/troy-aikman-cowboys-espn-mnf/
Infection_Ag11
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

He's insufferable as hell, but F all the covid nazis. Won me over bucking against that nonsense

But see, the problem is he (and a few million others) went from "maybe we shouldn't mandate the vaccine for everyone" to "fluoride in the water supply is giving everyone cancer and we didn't land on the moon" in about 5 minutes.

Rodgers is the case study in the "COVID conspiracy gateway man" phenomenon. These people accept and endorse every heterodox position they come across no matter how insignificant because by god if the COVID shot gave a kid myocarditis, JFK was killed by CIA.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Infection_Ag11
AG
jr15aggie said:

The 49ers are using a "never heard of him" RB very effectively.

We could do the exact same thing with Rico and Deuce... unfortunately our team looks hellbent on giving Zeke a majority of the carries.

It's probably my only negative takeaway from week 1... and there is plenty of time to make a change... but we saw the same damn thing 2 years ago when we had peak Tony Pollard and yet we still fed Zeke.

The Shanahan zone blocking scheme is the best football run scheme devised since the triple option, and because it can be incorporated into a traditional NFL offense it has much, much more utility and staying power. But the 49ers are so successful because of their offensive and defensive passing efficiency. Their run game looks pretty and produces great numbers, but they win lots of games because their opponents usually have lousy QBRs and their intermediate passing scheme is remarkably sophisticated and incredibly efficient. And the wild thing is, it's no less efficient when they are running for 3 YPC as opposed to 6 YPC. How well they (and teams in general) run the ball has little statistical impact on the passing game.

TLDR: Don't worry about the 49ers running game, worry about their passing defense and intermediate passing offense. That's what beats you. They can run for 180 yards but if your QB has a meaningfully higher QBR than Purdy you'll probably win.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Infection_Ag11
AG
A good example is the Cowboys and Dak. Dallas has gone through long stretches of being a below average to bad rushing team over the last 3 seasons since this run of 12 wins each year started, but it has never had reliably predictable impact on outcomes. When Dak plays significantly better than the opposing QB, Dallas wins. And the fact that Dallas has been a terror to opposing QBs over this stretch means that happens a lot.

Dallas gets into so much trouble against SF because they have a better passing defense than Dallas, and their passing scheme is less dependent on the actual ability of their QB and generates open receivers more consistently than ours does. So when Dallas plays SF, it's very hard from a matchup perspective to have Dak be better than their guy.
zgolfz85
AG
but jfk was killed by the CIA
Infection_Ag11
AG
zgolfz85 said:

but jfk was killed by the CIA

See?
shack009
AG
Infection_Ag11 said:

DannyDuberstein said:

He's insufferable as hell, but F all the covid nazis. Won me over bucking against that nonsense

But see, the problem is he (and a few million others) went from "maybe we shouldn't mandate the vaccine for everyone" to "fluoride in the water supply is giving everyone cancer and we didn't land on the moon" in about 5 minutes.

Rodgers is the case study in the "COVID conspiracy gateway man" phenomenon. These people accept and endorse every heterodox position they come across no matter how insignificant because by god if the COVID shot gave a kid myocarditis, JFK was killed by CIA.
Yeah, they put it in the water supply because they care about our teeth.
Infection_Ag11
AG
I appreciate it guys but I really don't need you offering up proof of concept for my post at midnight
DannyDuberstein
AG
I would say the actual problem was a bunch of md's pumping up a short-lived, unproven therapeutic they actually know very little about like lemmings, to the point that it empowered other idiots to take people's careers and livelihood away. That texags disclaimer should probably just read "for your own good, everything you read here should be completely ignored" for simplicity. The covid board should also be renamed "museum of medical idiocy by md's".
BassCowboy33
jr15aggie said:

I think he was the last of the flashy names. Brandon Carr was the last big $ we spent on a free agent I think.

And in fairness to Carr, he was a good player... but like most free agents, just wasn't worth what we paid for. We did the reverse thing with guys like Byron Jones and Schultz... let somebody else overpay them.

Man, I'll disagree here. Carr didn't miss a game during his time in Dallas and was a pretty nails corner through his entire contract. You never had to worry about him.
jteagle
AG
Another positive that came out of this game is that both offense and defense had good gameplans. The offense didn't let Myles disrupt their offense too much while on defense our guys completely disrupted their offense.

Very good sign.
jr15aggie
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

jr15aggie said:

I think he was the last of the flashy names. Brandon Carr was the last big $ we spent on a free agent I think.

And in fairness to Carr, he was a good player... but like most free agents, just wasn't worth what we paid for. We did the reverse thing with guys like Byron Jones and Schultz... let somebody else overpay them.

Man, I'll disagree here. Carr didn't miss a game during his time in Dallas and was a pretty nails corner through his entire contract. You never had to worry about him.

That's fair... but in fairness to my point, people expected him to be what we currently have with Diggs. He did play well for us, but he still took heat from fans and the podcasts because he didn't make enough game changing plays.

Edit: I looked it up... he had 3 picks in each of his 1st two years in Dallas. Solid, but not flashy. His next two years he had ZERO picks.
Macarthur
Wow. 3'of the top 6. Short sample but, man.

zgolfz85
AG
Macarthur said:

Wow. 3'of the top 6. Short sample but, man.

pretty remarkable. hoping we got a steal in kneeland
98Ag99Grad
AG
It didn't feel like we blitzed much. Is that correct? Generally the front 4 generated pressure and made Watson uncomfortable.
BassCowboy33
jr15aggie said:

BassCowboy33 said:

jr15aggie said:

That's fair... but in fairness to my point, people expected him to be what we currently have with Diggs. He did play well for us, but he still took heat from fans and the podcasts because he didn't make enough game changing plays.

Edit: I looked it up... he had 3 picks in each of his 1st two years in Dallas. Solid, but not flashy. His next two years he had ZERO picks.

He wasn't a ballhawk, just an above average cover guy. Interceptions are not usually a great measure of a great cornerback.
shack009
AG
98Ag99Grad said:

It didn't feel like we blitzed much. Is that correct? Generally the front 4 generated pressure and made Watson uncomfortable.
I think I heard we blitzed six 6 times, and each time it created pressure. Then I want to say 13 times we rushed 5, and 42 times we rushed 4. I think that was only for dropbacks.
jr15aggie
AG
98Ag99Grad said:

We didn't blitz a ton. We did show a lot of blitz looks, but we usually bailed out into coverage (which we should see all year with Zimmer... he loves trying to mess with QBs pre-snap).

I will say this... yes Cleveland had some O-line issues and had some starters out. But according to the people I listen to, this was true of them most of last year as well. These "back-ups" are the same guys they won 11 games with.

They weren't good, but these are still NFL players. The Cowboys just flat out dominated the LOS!
Macarthur
All I do is Nguyen
Seems like if Guyton can develop relatively quickly the OL may yet be a strength again this year. We need to be looking for Martin's replacement tho in this year's draft
No matter what!

Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...

I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
jteagle
AG
All I do is Nguyen
Cowboys open as 6.5 favorites over the Saints
No matter what!

jr15aggie
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

Cowboys open as 6.5 favorites over the Saints

I'll be there yelling as loud as I can. The Saints looked awfully good week 1, but the Panthers looked equally pathetic. Most people expected NO to be a bottom 1/3 team this year... my hope/expectation going in is that Dak and the offense light it up and the defense pins it's ears back.
All I do is Nguyen
jteagle said:

I love the relationship Harris and Diggs have. You can tell they have a genuine respect and love for each other.
No matter what!

jr15aggie
AG
Yeah, I watched this last night laying in bed... all I could think of was the Tommy Boy scene, "Brothers don't shake hands, brothers gotta hug!"
Danny Vermin
Man, that was fantastic. That is one close team and think the fact that McCarthy is a lame duck coach doesn't matter at all.
All I do is Nguyen
Danny Vermin said:

Man, that was fantastic. That is one close team and think the fact that McCarthy is a lame duck coach doesn't matter at all.
I don't think McCarthy is as lame duck as you think. He is the offensive play caller after all. I do recognize he needs to work on time management but we knew that when we hired him
No matter what!

Danny Vermin
I only ment contract wise. I really like him and hope we do well enough this season that he stays. He's a players coach and that resonates well with the actual players.
All I do is Nguyen
Ah ok, yeah I hope he earns himself an extension as well this year, which I think Jerruh will get done
No matter what!

jr15aggie
AG
The only temptation to move away from Mike would be seeing the success other teams have had with these really young offensive minded coaches. But watching the year-to-year success of guys like John Harbough & Andy Reid shows that these older generation coaches are still getting it done.

The Cowboys have been well coached under Big Mike. He's been as good as any of them... having it translate into the playoffs is the only thing missing.

I really really hope that Zimmer was the final missing piece to get us to the next level.
jr15aggie
AG
Interested to see how our run D performs against a real RB this weekend. I honestly don't keep up with the Saints much and I'm sure Kamara is a bit past his prime, but I think he's still got some juice.

I know they like to throw to him as well, so I'm hoping for a repeat of our LBs shutting down those short passes. You want to throw to a guy 3 yards down the field... OK... but we are going to blow him up immediately!
Daveintx
With the schedule coming later, it'd be nice to stack up some wins now
jr15aggie
AG
Daveintx said:

With the schedule coming later, it'd be nice to stack up some wins now

Agreed. I think a lot of people thought an opening day L was likely for this team (on the road vs. one of, if not the, best defense). The season outlook really changed with that convincing win. This week isn't a must win, but man, we really need to keep the good times rolling against a lesser team!

Also, we are very lucky to be playing @ NY and @ Steelers in a couple weeks. Those could be completely different games in Nov/December. @ Wash and @ Philly appear to be the only possible cold/bad weather games we'll have to deal with.
Infection_Ag11
AG
Having 5 total games against the Giants, Redskins and Panthers gives us a pretty big cushion with respect to playoff hopes. That's essentially 5 auto wins, which is a ton in the NFL. And our schedule gets super soft after the Texans game in November, we should go 6-1 or so over the last 7.

Games like this one are very important if you are hoping for the #1 seed, but 10 wins and a playoff berth are pretty much a sure thing barring Dak going down.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.