Trump Jan 6 sealed indictment delivered

124,077 Views | 1437 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by Watermelon Man
B-1 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just saw a story on Fox about court proceedings today. There was a guy in front of a few protesters handing out signs and apparently giving instructions. I'd love to get his id.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
nortex97
AG
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Look, January 6 defense lawyers have repeatedly asked people to stop giving her the time of day. That ought to clue folks in to not get their "news and analysis" from her.
Link? TIA.
I think the main one is shipwrecked crew on X. He's probably right, though I would note that he has gotten very…negative with a ton of people over the past year. Everyone is on his 'I hate that person' list it seems;

TRM
AG
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Look, January 6 defense lawyers have repeatedly asked people to stop giving her the time of day. That ought to clue folks in to not get their "news and analysis" from her.
Link? TIA.

TRM
AG
nortex97 said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Link? TIA.
I think the main one is shipwrecked crew on X. He's probably right, though I would note that he has gotten very…negative with a ton of people over the past year. Everyone is on his 'I hate that person' list it seems;

Bongino has been telling people not to donate to Shipley's legal defense fund since at least June and Shipley has 30 J6 clients that have asked for respresentation.
Im Gipper
In one corner you have a man that is working in the courtroom to get J6 defendants freed.

In the other corner you have a lady donating money to those trying to keep J6 defendants imprisoned forever.

Pretty easy to pick a side here.

I'm Gipper
jt2hunt
AG
I know that Julie Kelley puts a lot of information out there and includes documents from the court filings. People can come to their own conclusions about what that means but at least she's putting the information out there. Her commentary may or may not be right on the subject matter, but the content is there for the reader to decide.
TXAggie2011
AG
jt2hunt said:

I know that Julie Kelley puts a lot of information out there and includes documents from the court filings. People can come to their own conclusions about what that means but at least she's putting the information out there. Her commentary may or may not be right on the subject matter, but the content is there for the reader to decide.
There are 100 other people posting the documents on Twitter and there are other websites where one can get the documents. Still, I appreciate that she is sharing them and that's good and well. But her commentary attached is often full of factual inaccuracies, yet alone is her analysis of the "facts" something anyone should rely on for their understanding of these cases.

I don't have any idea about this other drama over donations or whatever folks are talking about. But those Tweets yesterday about the hearing were word salads centered around misquotations.
will25u
Another win for Trump. Trump is STILL not what the D's so badly wanted him to be for the election.

Quo Vadis?
will25u said:

Another win for Trump. Trump is STILL not what the D's so badly wanted him to be for the election.

I felt a disturbance in the force, as if millions of p**** hat wearing barren females and "I'm with her" beshirted beta males screamed out "nooooooooooooooo" and were silenced
aggiehawg
AG
Can't say I am surprised that Merchan backed down here. He put himself in the hole but has decided to stop digging it deeper.
nortex97
AG
aggiehawg said:

Can't say I am surprised that Merchan backed down here. He put himself in the hole but has decided to stop digging it deeper.
It just means they figured out the polling of sending him to Rikers was going to landslide him to an even larger victory.
will25u
will25u
Quote:

On July 21, 2024, President Joe Biden announced that he would not seek a second term. Within a few days, Vice President Kamala Harris was anointed to become the Democrat Party's nominee for the presidency. During his campaign, President Biden used one company, Amazon Web Services (AWS), for the campaign's web hosting services.1 President Biden's campaign paid AWS throughout 2023 through the suspension of his campaign in July 2024. On August 20, 2024, Vice President Harris's campaign submitted its first Federal Election Commission (FEC) report that documented expenses and donations through July 31, 2024. In the report, specifically on Form 3P, line 232, a July 30, 2024, disbursement appears in the amount of $468.00 from Vice President Harris's campaign to Authentic Campaigns Inc. (Authentic) for web hosting services. This indicates that one of the very first things that Harris did upon taking over the Biden campaign infrastructure is to hire this firm, Authentic.

Authentic is a digital consulting and marketing firm that services Democrat candidates. Loren Merchan, Justice Merchan's daughter, is its president. Vice President Harris changed web hosting companies from AWS to Authentic immediately after becoming the presumptive Democrat presidential nominee. As the FEC report's filing did not occur until August 20, nearly a month after the Harris campaign and Authentic had begun doing business, no one in the public, including the Commission, could have known of the relationship. This is merely the beginning of a new contract with a new campaign, regardless of the amount reimbursed. Sure, there's an immediate benefit, but this is a play at a potential larger benefit for Authentic and Merchan down the road.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
nortex97 said:

aggiehawg said:

It just means they figured out the polling of sending him to Rikers was going to landslide him to an even larger victory.
100% this.
Casual Cynic
So what happens if Trump wins? Can Merchan sentence the President elect?
MarkTwain
There's a pretty good argument going on on X platform about the boot strapping of the misdemeanor with a federal crime that he could pardon he federal crime with the boot strap would be gone. Then as to whether or not the original misdemeanor hold water and effect on the SOL.
TXAggie2011
AG
MarkTwain said:

There's a pretty good argument going on on X platform about the boot strapping of the misdemeanor with a federal crime that he could pardon he federal crime with the boot strap would be gone. Then as to whether or not the original misdemeanor hold water and effect on the SOL.
That wouldn't work for multiple reasons, and I think is probably based on an incorrect understanding of what he was found guilty of.

Besides, a pardon "carries with it an imputation of guilt...a confession of it" (Supreme Court in Burdick v US) and therefore wouldn't do Trump any favors in arguing in either a Legal Court of the Court of Public Opinion that he didn't falsify business records with "the intent to commit another crime", which is what he was found guilty of.
MarkTwain
https://www.youtube.com/live/wm2kmZ6ESk0?si=yqFMbY2UvJeVXOGH
will25u

TXAggie2011
AG
will25u said:

This is nonsense. To be clear, there is no jury, they're not admitting evidence. They're submitting a pre-trial under seal and redacted brief for the judge to make an evidentiary ruling about the actual underlying evidence. Happens in any criminal trial of any complexity.
Ag with kids
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

will25u said:

This is nonsense. To be clear, there is no jury, they're not admitting evidence. They're submitting a pre-trial under seal and redacted brief for the judge to make an evidentiary ruling about the actual underlying evidence. Happens in any criminal trial of any complexity.
None of which will be leaked to the public, right.
will25u
Im Gipper
Who saw this ruling coming??? /s

Does Trump seek mandamus to DC Circuit? No reason not to!

I'm Gipper
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Might as well.
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

Does Trump seek mandamus to DC Circuit? No reason not to!
Mandamus for a judge allowing an over-length brief? I guess it'll give him something to yell about when the Circuit Court denies it in a two sentence order.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
The over length brief is the wrong target. The right target is the fact that this brief is happening at all. Mandamus will be denied - and likely in the exact format you mentioned - but when there's a massive mismatch between what scotus actually wrote and what the district court wants to think scotus wrote, why not start casting aspersions now? Besides, this is all nakedly political and there's no serious way anyone could deny that.
Im Gipper
Quote:

but when there's a massive mismatch between what scotus actually wrote and what the district court wants to think scotus wrote,

Did SCOTUS address the procedure for deciding immunity issues? I don't recall seeing that.

Oh, and I'm with you on "length of brief" not being the real issue here!

I'm Gipper
MarkTwain
All this is is fodder to try and change a few votes. This entire case is garbage and will never stand up under appeal. But after Election Day this case dies a slow death because the task is done. Conviction wasn't the goal, this was strictly targeting Trump not being re-elected.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience" - Mark Twain
TXAggie2011
AG
Im Gipper said:

Quote:

but when there's a massive mismatch between what scotus actually wrote and what the district court wants to think scotus wrote,
Did SCOTUS address the procedure for deciding immunity issues? I don't recall seeing that.

SCOTUS said was it was remanding the case to the District Court to receive briefing from the parties and perform a "factbound analysis" considering "the content and context" of the conduct.

It sounds like the government is about to file a brief with a lot content and context around "the brief snippets" that were included in the indictment and a lot of "here's 'what else was said contemporaneous' to that excerpt in the indictment" and "here's 'who was involved in transmitting' that communication" and "here's who organized the rally."

I'm not sure where the "massive mismatch" is, but I'd certainly love to see that identified.

Quote:

The analysis therefore must be fact specific and may prove to be challenging. The indictment reflects these challenges. It includes only select Tweets and brief snippets of the speech Trump delivered on the morning of January 6, omitting its full text or context. Whether the Tweets, that speech, and Trump's other communications on January 6 involve official conduct may depend on the content and context of each. Knowing, for instance, what else was said contemporaneous to the excerpted communications, or who was involved in transmitting the electronic communications and in organizing the rally, could be relevant to the classification of each communication. This necessarily factbound analysis is best performed initially by the District Court. We therefore remand to the District Court to determine in the first instance whether this alleged conduct is official or unofficial...

the lack of factual analysis by the lower courts, and the absence of pertinent briefing by the parties thus become more prominent. We accordingly remand to the District Court to determine in the first instance with the benefit of briefing we lack whether Trump's conduct in this area qualifies as official or unofficial.
TA-OP
Exactly. Smiths brief is a direct response to the case being remanded for more probative content and context, but that doesn't fit the Trump is a victim storyline.
Im Gipper
Thanks for this explanation!

Thunder: what say you?

I'm Gipper
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
To be completely candid, this is outside of my practice area. The whole point of this exercise at this juncture is to try to squeeze the last few drops of political value left out of this case. Once the election is over, that value drops to zero.

If smith files a 180 page brief, the left will lap it up as gospel and the right will roll their eyes.
Ag with kids
AG
Im Gipper said:

Quote:

It's not the real issue here and 2011 knows it.

It's the political election interference that's the issue.

Which he's perfectly happy with if it benefits his side...
Ag with kids
AG
ThunderCougarFalconBird said:

To be completely candid, this is outside of my practice area. The whole point of this exercise at this juncture is to try to squeeze the last few drops of political value left out of this case. Once the election is over, that value drops to zero.

If smith files a 180 page brief, the left will lap it up as gospel and the right will roll their eyes.
And the media will cherry pick statements out of context to "prove" that Trump is guilty...
Im Gipper
I'm fairly confident that the issue of briefing on presidential community is outside every person's practice area in F16! Lol

I'm Gipper

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.