Trump Jan 6 sealed indictment delivered

96,224 Views | 1238 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by aggiehawg
TXAggie2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
fka ftc said:

They clearly indicated the POTUS is held accountable by impeachment, the press, the public etc.

Yet again, this is Uncharted territory, though SCOTUS makes clear that procedural rules / laws cannot be used to tie the POTUS up and prevent them from being effective.

This should be common sense but people have just a hard time understanding POTUS is not a normal US citizen whilst in office. The are singularly an entire branch of government.

SCOTUS says that the President has civil immunity if he acted within an authority granted by law, either then Constitution or by a statute. But if not, he doesn't have civil immunity.

All that business about impeachment, etc. refers to instances where he had civil immunity court. The Court was just saying there were other possible consequences for POTUS' behavior outside a court room.
fka ftc
We will ultimately see. I am fine being wrong, are you?

Nixon Fitzgerald is nearly entirely irrelevant to the situation at hand.
TXAggie2011
AG
Wrong thread
Im Gipper
Moving to recuse Chutkan!

I'm Gipper
Im Gipper
Here is the motion:

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/23963173-trump-recusal

I'm Gipper
ChemEAg08
AG
If allowed, OPs jimmys will certainly be rustled (even though he promised to vote for Trump over biden in 2024).
Ag with kids
AG
Im Gipper said:

Here is the motion:

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/23963173-trump-recusal
This motion is filed in HER court, right? So Chutkan has to rule on the motion for her to recuse herself?

What if she isn't recused? Is that something that could be brought up on appeal?
Im Gipper
Chutkan will rule on the motion. Generally, the denial can only be appealed after a final judgment (end of case).

Trump could, and likely will, file a petition for writ of Mandamus. But that requires a showing "clear and indisputable" right to relief. I don't think Trump can meet that burden here.

I'm Gipper
Ellis Wyatt
Chutkan is a horribly biased piece of ***** She should be disbarred. No question she should not be involved in anything related to Donald Trump.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
This is a rare case where Trump has a "free" shot to fire off whatever the hell he pleases. The judge already hates him and anyone working on his behalf so recuse and mandamus away.

Just the start of this case existing in mandamus-land for the next 5+ years if you ask me.
BMX Bandit
seeking mandamus relief doesn't stay the trial court proceedings though. This issue definitely won't take 5 years to resolve. Nowhere near that.
fka ftc
Im Gipper said:

Chutkan will rule on the motion. Generally, the denial can only be appealed after a final judgment (end of case).

Trump could, and likely will, file a petition for writ of Mandamus. But that requires a showing "clear and indisputable" right to relief. I don't think Trump can meet that burden here.
Public comments regarding the guilt of the defendant does not meet that "burden". What does?
fka ftc
BMX Bandit said:

seeking mandamus relief doesn't stay the trial court proceedings though. This issue definitely won't take 5 years to resolve. Nowhere near that.
Particular when the POTUS has absolute immunity and the rest as such violated no law. Makes sense.

Should be dismissed by end of day if justice still existed in this Country.
TXAggie2011
AG
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Interesting. Can a federal criminal lawyer explain the next step for trump in this situation (I.e. mandamus, direct appeal, or some other remedy)
eric76
AG
fka ftc said:

BMX Bandit said:

Particular when the POTUS has absolute immunity and the rest as such violated no law. Makes sense.

Should be dismissed by end of day if justice still existed in this Country.
You must have not been paying attention. Trump lost the 2020 election. He no longer has the immunity he enjoyed as President.

Having once been elected President does not make anyone "King for Life".
eric76
AG
ThunderCougarFalconBird said:

Interesting. Can a federal criminal lawyer explain the next step for trump in this situation (I.e. mandamus, direct appeal, or some other remedy)
There are rules about when a judge must recuse himself. Unless a judge ignores one of those rules in not recusing himself, it is hard to imagine there being anything to appeal. It's not like a defendant gets to select the judge of his choice to hear his case.
Maroon Dawn
AG
Great to know an openly biased judge can refuse to recuse herself so she can make sure to "get him"

What great system of (D)ouble Standard Justice we have!
Maroon Dawn
AG
eric76 said:

There are rules about when a judge must recuse himself. Unless a judge ignores one of those rules in not recusing himself, it is hard to imagine there being anything to appeal. It's not like a defendant gets to select the judge of his choice to hear his case.

How about one that is openly hostile and biased against you? Is that asking too much?
Im Gipper

Because this is not a final judgment, there is no appeal available in this situation. Mandamus relief would be his only avenue here.

I'm Gipper
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
I figured as much. Just didn't know if there's something in FRCrP that would be different.
TXAggie2011
AG
He could choose to wait until after trial and include it in an appeal then if he's convicted. But I don't if it's Trump's M.O. to let this one go for the time being
eric76
AG
Maroon Dawn said:

eric76 said:

How about one that is openly hostile and biased against you? Is that asking too much?
The judge is openly hostile and biased because you don't agree with the judge's rulings?
Maroon Dawn
AG
eric76 said:

Maroon Dawn said:

eric76 said:

The judge is openly hostile and biased because you don't agree with the judge's rulings?

Are you seriously ignoring all her very public rants against him and anyone she thinks supports him? And now she's going to pretend she wasn't hand picked for her bias against him? If you're serious about pretending to not be a Leftist, defending this sham isn't the way
Ag with kids
AG
eric76 said:

If your judge tells lots of people you deserve to be in jail do you think you'd be getting a fair trial?
Claverack
Ag with kids said:

eric76 said:

If your judge tells lots of people you deserve to be in jail do you think you'd be getting a fair trial?
She has predetermined the outcome of this trial. That will influence the latitude the prosecution and the defense receive during the trial and it will without doubt influence the jury.

will25u
Trump files Motion to Dismiss. Thread follows.

Im Gipper
Outer perimeter is very broad!

He won't win at the trial court, but great argument for Circuit Court!

I'm Gipper
BMX Bandit
i believe the denial of a motion to dismiss based on an immunity defense can be taken up on an interlocutory appeal

(for the non-lawyers, usually you have to wait until the end of the case to appeal a ruling of the trial court. an interlocutory appeal allows you to immediately appeal a decision)
aggiehawg
AG
The DC case is connected with Jan 6th, right? He was still President then.I realize that Wright threw some BS about something Trump did in September of 2021 but the vast majority of the indictment occurred while he was POTUS.
BMX Bandit
Quote:

The DC case is connected with Jan 6th, right?
yes
aggiehawg
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Quote:

The DC case is connected with Jan 6th, right?
yes
So let's talk about the immunity argument for a minute since he was POTUS at the time. He has the bully pulpit. He can ask questions about the integrity of the 2020 election as the leader of the Executive Branch. All of the agencies that manage our federal elections are in the Executive branch. As the head of that branch, doesn't that also fall under his duties?

At first blush, immunity appears to be a good defense. One that may resonate with appellate courts.

Thoughts?
BMX Bandit
full motion here:

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.dcd.258148/gov.uscourts.dcd.258148.74.0_1.pdf

BMX Bandit
i think its a very good argument because its such a broad protection. and the case law is that courts are supposed to give great weight to the executive on determining how far that outer perimeter goes. and while not limitless, it does go pretty far
aggiehawg
AG
BMX Bandit said:

i think its a very good argument because its such a broad protection. and the case law is that courts are supposed to give great weight to the executive on determining how far that outer perimeter goes. and while not limitless, it does go pretty far
Agree.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.