Hurricane Ian Likely Heading to Florida

58,040 Views | 648 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by lead
Stat Monitor Repairman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cromagnum said:

RIP on them shoes.
Cromagnum
AG
Cool waterspout. Dumb annoying woman.

ETA: Hearing it's not from Ian. Still cool.

C@LAg
1. that was cool.
2. dude needs to divorce that shrill voice.
Cromagnum
AG
C@LAg said:

1. that was cool.
2. dude needs to divorce that shrill voice.

When she called it a tornado and he's arguing its a waterspout, I could not help but think of Hank and Marie arguing over minerals.
BadMoonRisin
AG
Im actually going to give him a pass on filming vertically on this one, a very rare pass for such an offense.

Telling his wife to go away cause of her unnecessary squawking and demanding that he "sendittadanews" and keeping the spout in frame combined with the tracking. Chefs kiss.

The fact that he almost sounds like Lt Dangle from Reno 9-1-1, just...wow. 5/5 stars for me.
YouBet
AG
Been out of the loop lately and haven't followed this much but we heard today we have family in Naples that decided to ride this out. Dumbasses.

However, apparently they are fine and somehow avoided flooding and damage.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
It's amazing to me the damned thing is still a Cat 1.
LMCane
Cromagnum said:

TyHolden said:

More damage than Katrina?

Count on it. Property values have increased a lot since Katrina, and New Orleans is a ****hole anyways.
I wouldn't bet that yet- Katrina was so disastrous because after the levees broke literally entire cities were under water and they weren't built to code for the 21st century

now most Florida real estate is built to withstand a CAT 5
LMCane
TAMUallen said:

Actual Talking Thermos said:

siap

RIP
Cape Coral was ground zero for the destruction of the Great Financial Crisis of 2008

I should have bought a house back then in Florida
fooz
Is anyone still streaming?
C@LAg
fooz said:

Is anyone still streaming?
just some news stations:

fooz
bmks270
AG
The Fife said:

It's so easily preventable, just drive your McLaren outside of the area they say is going to flood.

Or a parking garage.

This is really common actually and parking garages fill up with people who don't want a fallen tree on their car during a storm.
bmks270
AG
LMCane said:

Cromagnum said:

TyHolden said:

More damage than Katrina?

Count on it. Property values have increased a lot since Katrina, and New Orleans is a ****hole anyways.
I wouldn't bet that yet- Katrina was so disastrous because after the levees broke literally entire cities were under water and they weren't built to code for the 21st century

now most Florida real estate is built to withstand a CAT 5

No, only South East Florida and the keys are hardened against a cat 5. I think most building codes in the Tampa area are for up to cat 3 and 4.

Here is a story from 2020 with some more insight.

https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/investigations/10-investigates/floridas-building-codes-the-next-hurricane-could-blow-them-away/67-c44333eb-a756-4da1-bf55-d2d439d6bbe3
wbt5845
AG
Not sure how many parking garage there were around here, but yeah I'd have driven my cars there and walked home.

Quick Google map search shows just a few in downtown Ft. Myers.
Irish 2.0
Rapier108
Irish 2.0 said:

Did he offer any proof, or is he just speculating?

Saw the same thing during Katrina where there were reports, including by officials, of "hundreds of bodies in trees" in Mississippi, all of which turned out to be false.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
FriscoKid
AG

Sucks.
Maroon Dawn
AG
They'll scream loudly that there were SO many deaths

Then much later, after they've completely blamed DeSantis for an Act of God they will quietly whisper the "oh my bad" retraction on page 148 in size 5 font
Raiderjay
Maroon Dawn said:

They'll scream loudly that there were SO many deaths

Then much later, after they've completely blamed DeSantis for an Act of God they will quietly whisper the "oh my bad" retraction on page 148 in size 5 font
Yep, Desantis will get the blame for deaths.....Conservatives and Big Oil will get the blame for the Hurricane.....
[b][raiderjay, you need to come up to the front of the bus where I can see you in this giant mirror above my steering wheel. -Staff][/b]
atmtws
AG
It's pawpaw's fault. It was Bush's and Trumps fault before. Each death is on Joe. He wouldnt even call the Governor.
/W\ Saw 'Em Off! /W\
BTHO tu.
Rapier108
atmtws said:

It's pawpaw's fault. It was Bush's and Trumps fault before. Each death is on Joe. He wouldnt even call the Governor.
That's (D)ifferent.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
Raiderjay
atmtws said:

You can hear the talking points being written....

"Destantis was more worried about kidnapping and shipping poor migrants around the country than saving his own state's residents from Ian!!!!"
[b][raiderjay, you need to come up to the front of the bus where I can see you in this giant mirror above my steering wheel. -Staff][/b]
atmtws
AG
They're already pushing that narrative in the NPR comments section on FB this morning...."DeSantis could've done a lot with the $12 million he wasted bussing migrants around the country..."
/W\ Saw 'Em Off! /W\
BTHO tu.
BQ_90
AG
any of the live feeds from yesterday back up yet today?
FriscoKid
AG
The Collective
AG
Well, that is going to be a problem.
Cromagnum
AG
Damn. So it's boats (eventually) and Chinooks for supplies for quite a while then.
Rapier108
Cromagnum said:

Damn. So it's boats (eventually) and Chinooks for supplies for quite a while then.
Doubt there is anyone left on that island needing supplies. Either they left before the storm, or the storm removed them.
FriscoKid
AG
Rapier108 said:

Cromagnum said:

Doubt there is anyone left on that island needing supplies. Either they left before the storm, or the storm removed them.

Wrong. There were a lot of people that stayed and it looks like some of the buildings did pretty well too. I hope that's the case because it's a really awesome place to visit.

Bag
AG
Rapier108 said:

Irish 2.0 said:

Saw the same thing during Katrina where there were reports, including by officials, of "hundreds of bodies in trees" in Mississippi, all of which turned out to be false.
100% This is really dangerous to just be speculating and fear-mongering.

Give us exact numbers, at least of the current known status, or STFU and get back to work
HumpitPuryear
AG
atmtws said:

They're already pushing that narrative in the NPR comments section on FB this morning...."DeSantis could've done a lot with the $12 million he wasted bussing migrants around the country..."
I imagine this....

DeSantis: FL tax base has swelled significantly with migrants from NY, CT, MA, etc seeking freedom in our state. Obviously this has strained the budgets of those states that lost taxpayers and has prevented them from realizing their immigrant sanctuary dream. FL thinks it's only fair to use some of our budget surplus to transport some of our overabundance of immigrants to them.
Irish 2.0
Bag said:

Rapier108 said:

Irish 2.0 said:

Give us exact numbers, at least of the current known status, or STFU and get back to work
Maybe he does have some preliminary #s based off of 911 calls made. The Sheriff isn't trying to torch DeSantis with hyperbole. He's a (R).
Bag
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

Bag said:

Rapier108 said:

Irish 2.0 said:

Maybe he does have some preliminary #s based off of 911 calls made. The Sheriff isn't trying to torch DeSantis with hyperbole. He's a (R).
then hand them over, if not, its pure speculation and that is dangerous and irresponsible.

I remember the same thing was said about bolivar during ike "1000 missing!!" turned out to be complete BS
BQ78
AG
Maybe he is busy rescuing people instead of making a list of the dead, that can come later.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.