Dune [Spoiler Thread]

59,195 Views | 817 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Rocagnante
FL_Ag1998
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
PatAg said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

Apache said:

Quote:

But for me, I wanted those details in the movie. To me, those details are what makes Dune so good.

Books can go into a level of detail that's extremely tough for movies to convey.
For example, as good & detailed as The Godfather was, read the book & it'll enlighten you as to the depth of the story that was left out.

Yeah, I get that, and I didn't expect every detail from the book to be there. But maybe splitting it up into 3 movies or a series on HBO would have given them room to show more of the political intrigue and world building that makes the book so good. Hell, there's some fantastic dialogue they could have lifted straight from the book that's sorely missed IMO.
Make it a tv series and it would not have looked as good as it does.

Agreed, therein lies my conundrum
PDWT_12
AG
https://www.reddit.com/r/dune/comments/qfx2jl/lady_jessica_rebecca_ferguson_from_the_cut/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Folks… The scene might exist.
heddleston
AG
Got home from seeing it a little bit ago, and I'm trying to figure out if the theater I was at used a downloaded bootleg copy of this movie. I know people had trouble understanding the dialogue, but were there ever subtitles for when people were speaking different languages, like the Fremen or the Sardukar?
Decay
AG
PDWT_12 said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/dune/comments/qfx2jl/lady_jessica_rebecca_ferguson_from_the_cut/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Folks… The scene might exist.

Give us the ultra extended doesn't exist cut!!
PDWT_12
AG
heddleston said:

Got home from seeing it a little bit ago, and I'm trying to figure out if the theater I was at used a downloaded bootleg copy of this movie. I know people had trouble understanding the dialogue, but were there ever subtitles for when people were speaking different languages, like the Fremen or the Sardukar?

Yes absolutely there should have been subtitles during those scenes.
LPHA
AG
Dune is a good name for that Paul guy or a desert person.
The Debt

Dont upset the paymasters
Sex Panther
AG
toucan82 said:

Saw it yesterday and I was a little confused about something: which one is Dune? Is it that Paul guy or one of the desert people?

It's a Pug. Should show up in part 2
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
The Debt said:

It replaced her with Yueh, the Asian traitor
Sex Panther
AG
Baron Von Flag Smasher said:

The Debt said:

He's clearly from Taiwan
schmendeler
AG
Sex Panther said:

Baron Von Flag Smasher said:

The Debt said:

He's clearly from Taiwan
At the request of the PRC?
PatAg
AG
The Debt said:

My mistake for engaging with nonsense
The Debt
Well Hollywood is American-based, so what's your point?

Fwiw, Dr Kines has more dialogue and survives longer than Dr Huey. Plus Huey is pretty much an idiot who betrays his fidelity and his profession...for nothing. Like hes the most worthless character there is.

Kines on the other hand is Paul's father-in-law and de facto leader of all the fremen.
heddleston
AG
Thanks for confirming my suspicions! I've read the book so I knew what was going on, but there was a good bit of stuff that didn't make sense to my buddies because of that. I'm in a developing country and SciFi doesn't get much play at the theaters here, this was the only one that had it. Looks like an HBO sub and a VPN is on the menu for this week.
G Martin 87
AG
Watched again tonight. HBOMax is a pretty good deal. I'll probably watch several more times before its run on HBOMax is over.

Even more impressive the 2nd time, too.
Max Power
AG
Watched it last night on HBO Max and definitely solidified my thoughts. A couple things were improved by watching on my iPad. Being able in to increase the brightness for the dark scenes made them significantly better. In the theater I had almost no definition of the sand worm when Paul and Jessica escaped because it was so dark. So much cooler with a brighter screen. Also the sound definition and clarity was a lot better in my ear buds. I could hear a lot more of what was happening, some of it just got muddled in the theater.

This has to get nominations for best picture and director. I could see Ferguson with a supporting actress nod as well, she really was outstanding. I'm sure it gets a ton of technical awards, I just hope the bigger categories don't go unnoticed.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
It should win every award ever made. Including a Tony.
PDWT_12
AG
EGOT Winner Denis Villeneuve
Decay
AG
And the Heisman
AliasMan02
AG
Oscar Isaac's beard should win Best Supporting Actor.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
PDWT_12 said:

Dune: The Musical is a must now.
Claude!
AliasMan02 said:

Oscar Isaac's beard should win Best Supporting Actor.
Supporting?
SpreadsheetAg
AG
The Debt said:

Fwiw, Dr Kines has more dialogue and survives longer than Dr Huey. Plus Huey is pretty much an idiot who betrays his fidelity and his profession...for nothing. Like hes the most worthless character there is.
Well, I mean they were holding his wife hostage and broke his mentat mind-walls... he thought he was saving his wife... what would you do to save your wife from murderers?
DVC2010
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

The Debt said:

Well, I mean they were holding his wife hostage and broke his mentat mind-walls... he thought he was saving his wife... what would you do to save your wife from murderers?

Torturers, even. Sure, it was I'll-conceived, but he thought he had a way to save his wife and exact revenge all at once. It's much better than the typical betrayal plot, I think.
Red Five
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

The Debt said:

I don't have a problem with Yueh's betrayal plot, but to play devil's advocate, what would be the point of a conditioning program to make someone unable to betray their master that could be broken by the most obvious point of leverage?
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
I've never been a sci-fi guy until this board turned me on to some stuff that I absolutely loved (Devs, Ex Machina, Interstellar, Arrival).

I've never read the books but can't wait to watch this after perusing this thread. Unfortunately I'm in the middle of a move so still have to wait a bit. Also need to add Blade Runner 2049 to my list.
Carlo4
AG
Champ Bailey said:

PDWT_12 said:

Dune: The Musical is a must now.
Harkonnens and Fremen and Atredies beware
Sand sand. It's everywhere!

Fear not the worms which cause you strife
Mine the spice, which gives you life.

Ok back to work...
Decay
AG
You missed the most obvious one
The Dune Where it Happened
MBAR
AG
TCTTS said:

The first hour and fifty five minutes or so = all-time, absolutely mesmerizing masterpiece. One of the most stunning sci-fi films I've ever seen, up to that point.

The last forty minutes or so, though = a little meandering, lacking the focus/promise of everything that came before. Very much a wandering sand walk through the desert, both on screen and in terms of plot.

At least in my opinion.

Basically, once Paul and Lady Jessica were 100% on their own, after Duncan Idaho and Liet-Kynes both died, it lost a bit of steam for me.

That said, on my eventual rewatch, I have a feeling the final act will likely play better. I think my biggest issue was with the marketing. Because the main trailer 100% sells a massive, Braveheart-esque desert battle as the climax, with a blue-eyed Paul flipping and slicing his way though enemy soldiers, absolutely going off. For months, and up through a decent chunk of the movie tonight, I assumed everything was leading to that climactic conflict, solely because the trailer billed it as such. But then, once we got that sequence as a vision instead, I knew something was off, but was still not at all prepared for how "small" the actual climax was. Even with everyone and their dog saying the movie ends in somewhat premature fashion, in the moment, I was still thinking, "No way this is where they end it."

But again, now that I know, hopefully it'll play better the second time. If anything, the final fight was a great character arc moment for Paul, and I'm always preaching about how that's what matters most. So it definitely delivered in that regard. Now, I just need to sit with it for a while, then give it a good rewatch before finally settling on my thoughts completely.
Sorry to dig up an old post, but I'm just now coming to this thread.

I frequently check my watch in a movie, just to gauge where I'm at in the story, and it was pretty clear to me at the 2 hour mark this was how it was going to end. Not specifically because I have not read any books, but because we hadn't even met up with the Fremen yet and Zendya hadn't even been introduced. It was pretty clear, IMO, that there wasn't time to set up a big climax. Plus, the Part 1 subtitle made it pretty clear this wasn't going to be a completed story.

I don't know man, I wasn't surprised at all. I'd agree that the trailer used the fight scenes in the visions to make it seem like there was a big battle coming, but at some point in this movie given the lack progress it was clear to me.

All that being said, I 100% left the theater last Friday thinking that the audience reaction to this was going to be pretty bad because of this. I was happy to see that I was wrong!
MBAR
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

Can I also use this thread to say that Blade Runner 2049 is one of the best pieces of science fiction of this century?

Because it is.
Interstellar, Dune, and Blade Runner 2049. Best serious sci-fi this century.
Ex Machina needs to be include in this list. Maybe Annihilation too. Garland is only 2nd to DV.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Did not like Annihilation, but hard agree on Ex Machina.

I would throw in Prometheus. I know it's divisive, but I love it. And it looks amazing.
MBAR
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Did not like Annihilation, but hard agree on Ex Machina.

I would throw in Prometheus. I know it's divisive, but I love it. And it looks amazing.
The bear scene in Annihilation alone was worth the price of admission imo.

MBAR
AG
I started watching this again on HBO Max last night. I have a pretty good home theater set up, but man, not being able to feel the voice on the back of my chair like I did at the theater was a bit sad.

I wanted to go watch it at the AMC Dolby super nice theater again but sadly they're moving Last Night in Soho there this weekend. Such a waste.
schmendeler
AG
Arrival for sure
double aught
AG
I was prepared to be underwhelmed buy Dune, but I enjoyed it. My only major complaint is that the visions were overdone. There were too many. They drug the movie down and made me lose interest at times.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.