Dune [Spoiler Thread]

59,157 Views | 817 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Rocagnante
schmendeler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just poke that anthill.
YouBet
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

I'm old enough to remember when the bee was actually funny.
TCTTS
AG

TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
It really is crazy how much of the frame is cropped in the standard version...

G Martin 87
AG
The Incomparable's episode about Dune dropped this weekend. Should be a great listen.

https://overcast.fm/+kMaZkX6g

Quote:

Put on your stillsuit and prepare your sand compactor. We're venturing out into the uncharted deserts of Arrakis with "Dune," Denis Villeneuve's cinematic take on the oft-filmed Frank Herbert novel. We do some comparing and contrasting with David Lynch's version, question whether this adaptation is for fans for for people who know nothing about "Dune", and basically stare at a bunch of big spaceships hanging in the air. Denis Villeneuve knows what we like.
cone
AG
i think one of my favorite small parts of the movie is how they made the adventuring tech look both futuristic and conventionally military.

like the thumper or the compass. they look like they actually work and could be practically fabricated.

the ornithopters look like they could actually fly (given a limitless energy source)
TombstoneTex
AG
So will there be an option to watch it at home with the imax ratio? Seems silly to lose the full effect forever after the movie leaves theaters.
YouBet
AG
HYC_AG said:

So will there be an option to watch it at home with the imax ratio? Seems silly to lose the full effect forever after the movie leaves theaters.
Doesn't seem like we are going to get that on HBO Max because it's not listed. I did watch Shang Chi on Disney+ last weekend and it had partial IMAX scenes available which I selected. I have no idea what scenes were and which ones weren't though. I never noticed any version change within the movie.
TCTTS
AG
Warner Bros. has released the IMAX versions of Christopher Nolan's movies to Blu-ray, so I assume they'll do the same here. That said, they haven't ever released the IMAX versions to digital/streaming. They're ONLY on physical media. I don't know if that's a Nolan thing or a WB thing, though, so I guess we'll find out come January. Either way, I'm confident we'll see the IMAX version of Dune again, at home, you just might have to buy the actual disc (which always do, no matter what).
amercer
AG
That was ****ing awesome.

I hope the 2nd half is as good
TCTTS
AG

TCTTS
AG
ZofranAggie
AG
You could say that happened in the scene where the worm attacks the spice harvester and Leto shouts "damn the spice" and rescues the men at great risk to himself and his son.

I just watched the movie at home again last night. Man I'm ready for part two. I hope they make a Dune: Messiah movie too.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Just started reading God Emperor... interesting introduction.
Quad Dog
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

Just started reading God Emperor... interesting introduction.
Buckle up, it only gets weirder/better.
TCTTS
AG
I was just doing some research for work and came upon these couple of deleted scenes and cut dialogue that we know was all filmed. On one hand, I understand why they chose to streamline instead, but it still would have been cool see this play out.

First is the Paul/Duncan hangar scene in-full, which, as you can see, is slightly different than the final product, but I've highlighted the pertinent bit of dialogue that was cut...

And then, a few scenes later, here are the two scenes that were cut, that pay off that exchange. Which, again, we know were filmed, due to the image being released of Brolin playing the baliset and Villeneuve confirming that he sings in that scene...

canadiaggie
AG
I started reading the book. It's so good
Duncan Idaho
What song did he sing? "Plastic Jesus"? Please tell me it was plastic Jesus
JayHowdy!
canadiaggie said:

I started reading the book. It's so good

I bought the book just after I saw the movie. No way I was going to wait another 2 years to find out how it ends.
KCup17
AG
Alright, I am finishing the 3rd book right now. My only remark is what the heck went on in the mind of Frank Herbert to create some of this material. Everything is getting weird.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
KCup17 said:

Alright, I am finishing the 3rd book right now. My only remark is what the heck went on in the mind of Frank Herbert to create some of this material. Everything is getting weird.
Read the 4th book and get back to me
Duncan Idaho
Imma gonna pull up a chairdog, and a fresh plate of slig while you try to identify anything crazy in the later books
KCup17
AG
I honestly don't know if I want to proceed after this one. You read long enough and every hero becomes a anti-hero or the villain regardless of their intentions
Quad Dog
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

KCup17 said:

Read the fifth and get back to me.
Quad Dog
AG
KCup17 said:

I honestly don't know if I want to proceed after this one. You read long enough and every hero becomes a anti-hero or the villain regardless of their intentions
I think you have to read the 4th to finish the story of Leto II. It really helps explain the Golden Path and what Paul was so scared of in his visions.
aTmAg
AG
One thing that I'm not a fan of in this movie is how destined Paul is to be the messiah. There is no doubt. And because of that, there is no fear of him dying or anything.

I like how the original Matrix planted a seed of doubt about Neo. That is one thing it did better than Dune.
Ulrich
Quad Dog said:

SpreadsheetAg said:

KCup17 said:

Whichever one has the Miles Teg ghola probably isn't the weirdest but it's definitely the most distasteful.

I love the first one and the others all have redeeming features but I don't think I am up to rereading them.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Quad Dog said:

SpreadsheetAg said:

KCup17 said:

Nearly done
KCup17
AG
The whole worm human hybrid thing is such a weird concept. I may have to read the next book to finish off the Golden Path though.
LB12Diamond
AG
Loved this movie. Wish I watched it in the theatre. Great casting and acting all around.

Only complaint. Really that one traitor could shut down the shields. Seems like security for that one would be a little better.
TCTTS
AG
schmidthead
I literally finish everything I start (an OCD thing I'd imagine), but I can't seem to get through Book 4.
Pepper Brooks
AG
So I only read book 1 and remember not being super drawn to continuing the story. Should I keep reading?

The movie was fantastic.
“There is no red.
There is no blue.
There is the state.
And there is you.”

“As government expands, Liberty contracts” - R. Reagan

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.