Dune [Spoiler Thread]

57,934 Views | 817 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Rocagnante
israeliag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I started my rewatch yesterday and finished the first act. A few thoughts:

- The opening quote is apparently spoken in Sardukar, per the subtitles
- The prologue showing the Harkonnen occupation of Dune is so damn perfect. It introduces this world so well, and with the haunting music and slow mos plays out (I have to believe intentionally so) as a vision of Paul's
- The first act is so economical in how it introduces the Areides family, and the various parties involved.
- The first use of voice is even more frightening/jarring with headphones on and cranked up.
- The screenplay 101 stuff is so well done - specifically the way Paul's encyclopedia video transitions us so fluidly into the next scene into of arrival of the imperial envoy. There were a few other examples of that that I already forgot.
- The character of Emperor's messenger really popped off the screen for me during the first watch, so I was really watching closely to his scene the second time, and he still has this almost scene stealing air to him. Such a great little performance of the type that I'm sure directors and producers love almost due to its rarity as its quality. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in all of DVs future movies (if isn't already a regular casting of his)
- The acting is obviously top notch.
- Duncan's intro is badass. The part where Mamoa jokes about Paul's muscles comes off so authentic that he either improvised it, or just really sold the script. I'm not sure which is more impressive.
- The Gom Jabbar test was even better the second time around. Jessica's utterance of the Fear mantra has this duality to it that I'm still thinking about: she's saying it for her own fears and on behalf of her son (who seems to be thinking it - h/t to Chalemet for that). The timing of the end of that Mantra (fear passing and only "I" remain) to Paul's dominance of the test and flipping it on the Rev. Mother is such good film making/editing.
- I still could have used more Yueh on Caladan.
Bird Poo
AG
h1ag said:

I just wanted a single Gurney song.

Zimmer could have done something great here

Finally seeing it on Sunday with my sons on IMAX.
TCTTS
AG
Love all of this, and very well said.

One thing I just realized, re: the voice… most of the times we see it used, we see it from the perspective of the person speaking the voice. In other words, we see the person on the receiving end basically turn into a zombie for a few seconds, do what is commanded of them, etc. But when the voice is used on Paul in the Gob Jabbar scene, we see the scene from HIS perspective, i.e. we're suddenly standing in front the Mother a split second after she tells him to come closer. It's such a cool little touch that helps underline that this is Paul's movie, told from Paul's point of view.
israeliag
AG
Thanks!

That reminds me. If I recall right, right before he enters the room with the Rev. Mother, you see his feet taking steps further into the room than he and his mom are immediately after the cut to show them in the room (if I explained that right). I think that was showing us his prescience in just a split second - Paul literally beginning to walk down the Golden Path.
Duncan Idaho
Man I just watch that scene again. Just amazing. Everything about it.
Cromagnum
AG
All of the scenes with Skarsgard just work. I know Baron uses suspensors to get his fat ass off the ground but the way it was filmed (plus Hans Zimmer's score) makes him imposing as all hell. Loved the dining room scene where he floated over to the doctor to ask what he owed.
Cromagnum
AG
At the beginning when the Atreides accepted their charge to head to Arrakis, were those guild navigators in the helmets that looked like they were full of spice?

schmendeler
AG
Yes
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
schmendeler said:

Yes

They were guild navigator "representatives" they probably weren't actual navigators
AliasMan02
AG
Cromagnum said:

All of the scenes with Skarsgard just work. I know Baron uses suspensors to get his fat ass off the ground but the way it was filmed (plus Hans Zimmer's score) makes him imposing as all hell. Loved the dining room scene where he floated over to the doctor to ask what he owed.

Best little touch was when his foot kinda drags over the corner of the table.
PDWT_12
AG
If you haven't make sure to watch this video with DV breaking it down. He's a master. I think this video was already posted on here somewhere but really worth posting again for people to see what goes into filming some of this stuff from the perspective of the director.

A is A
AG
Tonight. 7pm. Finally!
Quad Dog
AG
Great video. I've never made the connection between the "mom voice" that we all know our mom uses to make us do stuff and The Voice before.
israeliag
AG
They said three navigators actually came. I believe there were five or six with the spiced filled helmets on, but three had staves. I'm assuming the ones carrying staves were legit navigators.
israeliag
AG
Cromagnum said:

That weird almost guttural clicking noise the suspensors make when turning on is low key my favorite effect of the whole film.

Also, nice touch in making him buff and fat, not just fat.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
israeliag said:

They said three navigators actually came. I believe there were five or six with the spiced filled helmets on, but three had staves. I'm assuming the ones carrying staves were legit navigators.
Who said that? I suspect the actual navigators were on the ship and never left it. but who knows.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Then wouldn't they just be Spacing Guild members and not the actual navigators?

Guild members walked around and negotiated, etc.

Navigators were kept in spice tanks and floated around in ethereal mists; they had flipper-like appendages and were probably once human but over eons of spice infusion had transformed.
israeliag
AG
Maybe Thufir when Leto asked for the cost.
The Debt
After considering it for a bit, I think my biggest disappointment is that the film doesnt highlight any of the thoughtful war strategy involved. Just weird overtures of needing "desert power."

So who is the Duke and what is House Atreides? They are a military family, codified by honor and duty. Their military prowess and capability commands respect from the great houses and makes them the strongest house to approach the Emperor's capability. The Duke is a tactician and tells his war counsel that Arrakis is a trap and they are to assume this and take precautions and place systems of counter attack. The Duke knows the Harkonen want him dead and war with them is inevitable.

Likewise the Harkonen are attempting to lull the Atreides into a sense of security on Arakkis but still provide some minor sabotage to make the Duke believe he has cleaned up the security threats.

The Baron goes apesht when Rabban attempts to assassinate Paul because its gets the Atriedes guard up.

In the new film, the only hint of ongoing sabotage (minus the 6week dead guy in the wall, which removes the strategy of Rabban) is the Duke considering the carryall malfunction sabotage and Kynes dismisses it as paranoia "the desert is unforgiving even to machines" or whatever.

This Duke is anticipating no attack, or at least we dont see it on screen with any serious importance. Just "well we need to keep the spice flowing, ya know for the other houses and stuff."

"But hey your grandfather wrestled a bear, that's the cloth we are cut from, Paul."
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
israeliag said:

Maybe I have pipe dreams about what the navigators will look like.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Baron Von Flag Smasher said:

israeliag said:

Top row is what I imagine
The Debt
The scifi channel did this with the navigator. Some sort of mothman adaptation, I dont mind it vs the original because it retains some human characteristics...navigators are indeed human not an oversized brine shrimp.

Sea Speed
AG
I fully got the feeling that he knew or believed something was going to happen. Non book reader.
Duncan Idaho
SpreadsheetAg said:

Baron Von Flag Smasher said:

israeliag said:

Top row is what I imagine

I like the first one of bottom row the best
Sea Speed
AG
i LOVED this movie. It was the shortest long movie i have ever seen. I did not want it to end at all. I was completely captivated the entire time.

I have not read the book. I may or may not read it going forward, i am not in to reading scifi whatsoever, but i definitely wanted to explore more of this world.

I did not have any trouble following along, but i think i could benefit from another viewing, which i hope to do at a bigger and nicer theater. There was only one or two scenes where i wasnt sure what the mom was saying, but i seemed to get the gist. The hardest thing about it is knowing what all the people are, and their roles. i def understand that the book goes in to what these people are and what powers they have and what not. I have benefited from reading book readers takes on stuff in this thread. I think the only question i have from the viewing is to whether certain people could understand what others were saying. Could paul and his mom understand the Fremen? Some things but not all?

I am truly blown away by how much i liked this movie. I have followed on with dozens of movies through conception to completion on this board, including several super hyped ones, and i always have come away thinking 'good not great' and that changed yesterday. I did not get bored at all and i definitely think that is in large part due to not knowing anything that was going on, and i am VERY happy i went in to it blind, besides reading stuff on the other thread, which didnt give away much because there is just way too much depth in the world to have really known anything.

ive been so damned busy at work this morning that i didnt get my thoughts in order on what i wanted to say on this post, so i will probably post more later, but goodness, this thing was just so great.

What do sandworms eat? besides giant steel machines or people, which seem to be not enough to support a global population of 1500 foot long creatures.

Sea Speed
AG
oh and the woman who plays jessica is so so hot. first time i noticed her was in that latest stephen king flick where she steals peoples 'shining'. so hot.
A is A
AG
Sea Speed said:

I have not read the book. I may or may not read it going forward, i am not in to reading scifi whatsoever, but i definitely wanted to explore more of this world.

Read the book(s) if you'd like to explore more. Its a good read. decent sized chapters that make Dune less foreboding than when you get your hands on the 190k word epic.
The Debt
Sea Speed said:

I fully got the feeling that he knew or believed something was going to happen. Non book reader.

That makes it even worse. For someone who has a duty to his people (and other versions really sell this idea that Leto has a devotion to his subordinates) if he isnt warning for vigilance, he is silently placing their neck into the guillotine.

Make a fuss! YOU LOVE THESE PEOPLE AS FAMILY.

This comradery of the Atriedes is what makes Dr. Huey's betrayal so painful. In this new film, he is just some hired home-health physician that has access to the first family.
Sea Speed
AG
Hmm I can see that point, but i also think it's futile for me to get in a discussion with you about it because I've seen the movie once and id bet that you have read the book several times ha
Mathguy64
AG
Sea Speed said:

Hmm I can see that point, but i also think it's futile for me to get in a discussion with you about it because I've seen the movie once and id bet that you have read the book several times ha

If he had read the book he would know it's Dr Yueh and that Huey is a Disney duck.
Sea Speed
AG
Also a helicopter
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Sea Speed said:

oh and the woman who plays jessica is so so hot. first time i noticed her was in that latest stephen king flick where she steals peoples 'shining'. so hot.
She's in at least one of the Mission Impossible movies. Yeah, she's hot.
FtWorthHorn
Max Power said:

I also really like Rubin, but I miss the combination of her and Jason Concepcion. Their podcasts for game of thrones, Harry Potter, and Star Wars we're so good. What happened to him?

Works for Crooked now. X-RAY VISION is his new pop culture podcast, the Dune episode is really good. Has Shea Serrano as the final guest.
MaroonStain
AG
What is the story of the Baron?

Cyborg...alien...part monster...?

Any links to history of the Baron and how f***ed this character is ---> flying, healing in oil/blood/balsamic vinegar and imposing as hades.

???
Sea Speed
AG
So for real, what do the sand worms eat?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.