Dune [Spoiler Thread]

57,917 Views | 817 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Rocagnante
SpreadsheetAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yes
AliasMan02
AG
I haven't thought much into part 2, but I bet DV's Alia will be creepy as hell.
G Martin 87
AG
The Dog Lord said:

powerbelly said:

The Dog Lord said:

The Debt said:

Claude! said:

YouBet said:

The Debt said:

Having not read past Dune (20 years ago), I dont understand the focus on the Kwisatch Haderach because the fremen focus on the Mahdi.

When Paul comes to full bloom as the Kwisatch Haderach he isnt what the Reverend Mother or the BG wanted....he is something beyond their grasp.
Yes he is the Kwisatch Haderach, but he is also something more.

DVs interpretation (saw it a 2nd time) makes the fremen myth just a reinterpretation of the BG myth...or rather the BG implanted the concept of the myth into the fremen mythos in order to aid in the fruition of a Kwisatch Haderach from their lands.
There is quite a bit of this concept shared in the novel though. It's not just DV's interpretation.
Yep. Kind of like how Finkle is Einhorn and Einhorn is Finkle, the Madhi is the Kwisatch Haderach and vice versa.
But again, if he is the fruition of the BG plot, why is he hostile to the BG? Or rather why did the BG aid in the creation a monster they cannot control?

I think of it as competing religious orders (BG and fremen), both have the foretelling of a god-man, but the fremen hold the true religion.
They didn't plan on Paul being the KH. Jessica was supposed to produce a daughter. I believe she may have trained Paul beyond what the BG expected as well which led the BG to test whether he was "human."
All BG take the test of humanity. They tested him to see if he had the potential to be the KH
But I don't think they would have needed to test Paul if Jessica had trained him so much, correct? I don't think they were expecting him to be trained up in BG ways which is why they weren't controlling over his upbringing. Once they found out he had been trained so much, they decided to test him. I may be making all of that up, but I could have sworn that was the explanation for why they weren't trying to control him sooner as a potential KH.
Paul was tested because the BG couldn't rule out that he might be the KH. That Jessica gave Paul some BG training was not really a surprise or reason for alarm. (Count Fenring was tested for the same reason; the BG were suspicious of any male who showed promise as the KH. He passed the test, but the observations of the Reverend Mother who administered the test indicated that Fenring was not the KH. And his wife, a BG and acquaintance of Jessica, was able to control him anyway.)
NE PA Ag
Minor point because we all know what's being talked about, but it's Kwisatz Haderach, not Kwisatch.

Also, I thought Lynch's Alia was plenty creepy, but in a really awkward kind of way, especially when she used 'the voice'. The dubbing was horrible.

Finally, and this is getting well into the later books, but isn't Leto II the real Kwisatz Haderach?
Quad Dog
AG
Paul was the first, but eventually rejected it based on the future he saw. Leto II picked up the title, and fulfilled the prophesy, but not in the way the BG thought would happen.
NE PA Ag
Quad Dog said:

Paul was the first, but eventually rejected it based on the future he saw. Leto II picked up the title, and fulfilled the prophesy, but not in the way the BG thought would happen.

Right, the Golden Path and multi thousand year reign

BenFiasco14
AG
Finally watched last night. Was blown away frankly. I've waited all my life for a good Dune adaptation and I feel like I've finally gotten at least half of one. Can't wait for part two. Also can't wait to just watch it a second time with an eye for details
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
AliasMan02
AG
I watched the first maybe... hour again today and I'm 3/3 for getting a little emotional at the exchange between Paul and Leto about being the future of the Atreides. OI is so great in that scene. I feel like it's the sort of thing we've seen before but he just radiates sincerity and that combination of love and duty. He's really underrated.
TCTTS
AG
Philip J Fry
AG
NE PA Ag said:

Minor point because we all know what's being talked about, but it's Kwisatz Haderach, not Kwisatch.

Also, I thought Lynch's Alia was plenty creepy, but in a really awkward kind of way, especially when she used 'the voice'. The dubbing was horrible.

Finally, and this is getting well into the later books, but isn't Leto II the real Kwisatz Haderach?

I much prefer how Sci Fi Dune handled the voice. That's my one and only knit with the movie
FL_Ag1998
AG
Agreed, I'm not as impressed with how the Voice was portrayed as everybody else was apparently.
schmendeler
AG
israeliag said:

They said three navigators actually came. I believe there were five or six with the spiced filled helmets on, but three had staves. I'm assuming the ones carrying staves were legit navigators.

(Started my third watch now) Yeah, three with staves and there being three navigators referenced seems like an unlikely coincidence.
Sea Speed
AG
So those helmeted folks when they read the decree were the navigators?
schmendeler
AG
There were five (by my count) guild members (helmeted with orange spice clouds within). But only three were carrying staffs. My hunch is that those were the three referenced navigators.
Sea Speed
AG
Ok. I know there was a lot of talk on here of not actually showing the navigators. So interesting that they may actually be shown. I cant wait to see it again but work is too damned busy.
schmendeler
AG
I just noticed this (I may be slow). Is that another planet being glimpsed through the guild ship? I didn't think they worked that way.

This is the Reverend mother's ship heading down to Caladan.

schmendeler
AG
Yeah I could be wrong. I welcome there being some revealed monstrosity in part two.
Duncan Idaho
Put me in the camp that says the navigators weren't shown and the guys in the spice helmets weren't full navigators. I seem to remember something about no one seeing a full navigator in person. Even the other members of the guild.
powerbelly
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Put me in the camp that says the navigators weren't shown and the guys in the spice helmets weren't full navigators. I seem to remember something about no one seeing a full navigator in person. Even the other members of the guild.
Wasn't it a bit of a "trade secret" type thing.
Sea Speed
AG
I'm surprised there isn't a screen grab of those people to post.
YouBet
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

I assumed they where the equivalent of these guys in '84 Dune:

What I don't recall is if the dudes in black were early stage Navigators that hadn't fully transformed or simply translators/support staff of the chambered Navigator.
Decay
AG
schmendeler said:

I just noticed this (I may be slow). Is that another planet being glimpsed through the guild ship? I didn't think they worked that way.

This is the Reverend mother's ship heading down to Caladan.

Having only read Dune and no sequels, there's not a lot in there about how the Space Guild ships work. I get the impression the sequels go into it more (same thing with the navigators, they're very sparsely detailed in the first book).

The movie mentions spice is involved but I have no idea if they're making these into a kind of portal? It is an interesting bit of detail that I hadn't noticed either. I just figured you get on their ships and they take you around the galaxy.
schmendeler
AG
I understood the giant guild ships to be moving from place to place. Your ship travels inside theirs. But this looks more like some sort of portal device, rather than a transport vessel.
TCTTS
AG
I kind of love the idea of the guild basically being the universe's Uber, capable of transporting entire fleets, and that's what the big, hallowed-out, cylindrical ships are. Shaped like that for whatever reason. But yeah, is it also possible that, say, every planet has a big, cylindrical structure in orbit, and each one is more like a portal/wormhole access point that the navigators somehow control?
Chipotlemonger
AG
TCTTS said:

I kind of love the idea of the guild basically being the universe's Uber, capable of transporting entire fleets, and that's what the big, hallowed-out, cylindrical ships are. Shaped like that for whatever reason. But yeah, is it also possible that, say, every planet has a big, cylindrical structure in orbit, and each one is more like a portal/wormhole access point that the navigators somehow control?
You should read the books. That is essentially what the Guild is. They control all of the interplanetary travel from what I remember. Now, hopping from say Earth to the moon or Mars? Not sure. But Earth to Arrakis, yes.
schmendeler
AG
TCTTS said:

Regarding your first sentence, yes that's exactly what they are in the books. No interstellar travel occurs without the guild. And the guild can't function without the spice.

Regarding your last sentence, that's an interesting possibility, though a clear departure from the books, to my understanding. Also, we know that "no satellites exist" over Arrakis from the Baron's meeting with the Reverend mother. So, maybe not every planet has this. Would be an interesting question to ask DV.
powerbelly
AG
TCTTS said:

Book spoilers.

In the book the guild ships work like wormholes. You pull in the back and they fold space and you drive out the front.
Duncan Idaho
In this universe, they travel by "folding space". Anyone can do it BUT without a way to predict where/when everything will be at the destination, it is too dangerous (about 10% folds end up with something being in the way and everything ne dies)

This could be solved with computers and whatnot but since "thinking machines" are illegal in this universe, you need another way to do this. This is where the guild navigators come in.

The spice gives them prescience. So they can safely fold space and not end up in the middle of a star/planet/astroid/etc. Making intergalactic travel safe.
And the guild is the only ones that can do it and they can only do it with spice. And arakis is the only source of spice.
TCTTS
AG
That's what I assumed/gathered from discussion here.

Doing a quick search, this general take seems to be the consensus for the DV/movie version, though…

Quote:

Ok, I think I finally get the subtle way they incorporated the concept of folding space in the new film.

When you see the giant cylindrical ships in the atmosphere, if you look closely, you can see that within the cylinder, the space looks entirely different from the outside of the ship. If I'm interpreting this right, I think what the film is trying to convey is that the folding of space occurs inside the cylinder, and that there are multiple ships like this already around the universe orbiting the major planets of the Landsraad.

So we are seeing space being folded in the new film, just not in the trippy psychedelic way that Lynch did it or what was described in the book - instead, it's done in an efficient, industrial way that's so normal to the universe now that it's almost mundane - you just fly your ships through the cylinder, and arrive where you're intending to go

That said, the space inside the cylindrical structures looked normal/perfectly see-through to me. In other words, no distortion. Anyone else?
powerbelly
AG
TCTTS said:

That's what I assumed/gathered from discussion here.

Doing a quick search, this seems to be the main consensus for the DV/movie version, though…

Quote:

Ok, I think I finally get the subtle way they incorporated the concept of folding space in the new film.

When you see the giant cylindrical ships in the atmosphere, if you look closely, you can see that within the cylinder, the space looks entirely different from the outside of the ship. If I'm interpreting this right, I think what the film is trying to convey is that the folding of space occurs inside the cylinder, and that there are multiple ships like this already around the universe orbiting the major planets of the Landsraad.

So we are seeing space being folded in the new film, just not in the trippy psychedelic way that Lynch did it or what was described in the book - instead, it's done in an efficient, industrial way that's so normal to the universe now that it's almost mundane - you just fly your ships through the cylinder, and arrive where you're intending to go

That said, the space inside the cylindrical structures looked normal/perfectly see through to me. In other words, no distortion. Anyone else?
Right. There isn't a lot in the books so it is open to interpretation. I liked the idea of folding space like folding paper and lining up two holes. You would be able to see through.
YouBet
AG
Those of us that have played Mass Effect understand all of this.
Bird Poo
AG
powerbelly said:

TCTTS said:

Book spoilers.

In the book the guild ships work like wormholes. You pull in the back and they fold space and you drive out the front.
Yes, and the hope of the Bene Gesserit is to breed "The One" that can perform the same function as the Guild, no? (bend space and time)
G Martin 87
AG
PearlJammin said:

powerbelly said:

TCTTS said:

Book spoilers.

Yes, and the hope of the Bene Gesserit is to breed "The One" that can perform the same function as the Guild, no? (bend space and time)
The KH will have the power to access all the genetic memories of his ancestors as far back as the beginning. The KH will be able to "see where we cannot". Somewhat similar concept, but not the same thing as folding space.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Just a reminder - no need for spoiler tags in this thread.
swimmerbabe11
ok, so I can't read all 20 pages, but the part where Jessica and Paul are changing into their stillsuits, and they awkwardly glance backwards to see if the other is getting naked yet made me start giggling. why was that a thing? so wierd.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.