Dune [Spoiler Thread]

59,163 Views | 817 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Rocagnante
Max Power
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Part 2 will need Feyd and The Emperor, who wasn't in part 1 either. The Baron doesn't have an heir, Feyd is his nephew and chosen heir. They need to have a Harkonen foil to Paul for the second movie, I just don't see Bautista's Raban being combined with Feyd into a single character. The Baron has the beast serve as his enforcer, he's not someone being groomed for political leadership like Feyd is. The second movie will have to be about Paul's ascendance while The Baron is also trying to secure his own legacy. Part 1 has a monster cast, I have no reason to think they wouldn't swing for the fences when casting Feyd and The Emperor as well.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Leonardo Di Caprio as the Emperor
Kit Harrington or Adam Driver as Feyd? This one is tough. You would want someone physically imposing, older than Chalamet, a huge name, and hopefully skilled enough at choreography to impress in a fight scene.
Claude!
Champ Bailey said:

Kit Harrington or Adam Driver as Feyd? This one is tough. You would want someone physically imposing, older than Chalamet, a huge name, and hopefully skilled enough at choreography to impress in a fight scene.
Physically imposing and Kit Harrington...not sure that computes. Adam Driver would be good, as would Robert Pattinson (if a little old).
AliasMan02
AG
Would love to see Feyd's casting be a surprise. Or the Emperor... easier for the Emperor probably.
A is A
AG
Champ Bailey said:

This has to be a troll. Adam Driver? Please no. Kit would be okay. It may go against his "brand" to be on the wrong side of battle, though. Driver does have that "I'm evil, and will kill you" personality in his characters.

Caprio is not foreboding enough to be emperor, imo.
Duncan Idaho
Pattinson is a great choice
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Yeah I like Pattinson, plus it would be his and Chalamet's second time as enemies in a movie.
schmendeler
AG
He's too old, but Cillian Murphy would be a good Feyd, imo.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
A is A said:

Champ Bailey said:

This has to be a troll. Adam Driver? Please no. Kit would be okay. It may go against his "brand" to be on the wrong side of battle, though. Driver does have that "I'm evil, and will kill you" personality in his characters.

Caprio is not foreboding enough to be emperor, imo.

Really? I'm of the opinion that DiCaprio will succeed in any role he wants. Is it really much different than him playing the character in Django?

The only other guy I would be more hyped for would be if they got DDL to come out of retirement.
Claude!
Given that the role of Shaddam IV requires a man of certain years and gravitas, are we contractually obligated to suggest Idris Elba?
A is A
AG
I'll through in Stellan Skarsgard and Ed Harris to the mix for the emperor.

edit for me being a dunce.
Claude!
The other one I thought about was Charles Dance.
A is A
AG
Claude! said:

another great option.
AliasMan02
AG
My dark horse for Feyd is Harry Styles.

- British pop star-actor crossover like Sting for a bit of an homage
- A little older that TC
- I thought he was very impressive in Dunkirk
PDWT_12
AG
I like Styles. Have also heard Bill Skarsgard for obvious reasons and don't hate it.
TCTTS
AG
A is A said:

Claude!
TCTTS said:

A is A said:

He's clearly a Harkonnen agent.
Apache
AG
Conor McGregor as Feyd
javajaws
AG
Good article here about the casting and imagery of the Harkonnens:

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/movies/story/2021-10-22/dune-harkonnen-design-denis-villeneuve
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
A is A
AG
TCTTS said:

A is A said:

damn. I'm an idiot.
DVC2010
AG
Max Power said:

Part 2 will need Feyd and The Emperor, who wasn't in part 1 either. The Baron doesn't have an heir, Feyd is his nephew and chosen heir. They need to have a Harkonen foil to Paul for the second movie, I just don't see Bautista's Raban being combined with Feyd into a single character. The Baron has the beast serve as his enforcer, he's not someone being groomed for political leadership like Feyd is. The second movie will have to be about Paul's ascendance while The Baron is also trying to secure his own legacy. Part 1 has a monster cast, I have no reason to think they wouldn't swing for the fences when casting Feyd and The Emperor as well.

In the relatively little screen time Bautista had, I thought he did an excellent job portraying a rage-driven blunt instrument. I would be disappointed not to see Feyd in Part 2.
TCTTS
AG
Ha, it might actually work as like the dramatic equivalent of Mike Myers/Eddie Murphy stunt casting, where they play multiple characters in the same movie.
bluefire579
AG
Claude! said:

This is my favorite suggestion for the emperor so far.

For Feyd, I kind of like this suggestion from reddit from a couple of years ago (Alex Hgh Andersen, who played Ivar on Vikings). Not the flashy, well known actor that folks have been suggesting, but I feel like he'd be a good fit, at least from watching him on Vikings.

bluefire579
AG
hunter2012 said:

Saw this last night in IMAX and thought it was totally worth it. The big scenic shots of the planet, the cities, and the space ships looked incredible. I loved the "weird scifi" feel it had too it with the ships and the tech, a lot is compacted in the scenes which is exactly the same as the book. Tons of dense lore from a few short scenes.

What do you think the franchise goal will be with WB if it does well over the next few weeks? You can't just end it at the end of the first novel, Paul's story is nowhere near done. I'm currently on God Emperor so it's very clear that if they try to cinematic universe this franchise you have to go at least through Children of Dune, but even then I love the twins and would want more Leto. I guess ideally have a room full of good writers to cap off an epic conclusion after Chapterhouse(the last of Frank's novels, which I understand ends on a cliffhanger).

Same complaints about noise that some of the others have said, I basically inferred some of the dialogue having recently read the books.
Villeneuve just last month addressed his plans on that end.

He wants to do a trilogy covering Messiah as well
Decay
AG
Denis mentions the homage to Apocalypse now with the Baron in the goo as Colonel Kurtz... loved that scene and recognized it was an homage to something but couldn't place it. Very cool.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
A is A said:

TCTTS said:

A is A said:

damn. I'm an idiot.

Wait you want the original Gurney Halleck to play the emperor? Wait that isn't a bad idea
schmendeler
AG
I am disappointed by the severe lack of pugs in this iteration.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
schmendeler said:

I am disappointed by the severe lack of pugs in this iteration.

Instead of the gratuitous bullhead and that statue we could have had some damn pugs.
schmendeler
AG
I think we need a version where they are replaced by pugs.
Decay
AG
"Grandfather wrestled pugs!"
"And look where that got him."
Cut to old man playing with puppies
Duncan Idaho
Pugs bred and raise on Salusa Secundus
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Pugs bred and raise on Salusa Secundus

Sardaubark
The Debt
Apache said:

Conor McGregor as Feyd

YAAAASS
birdman
Paul Bettany would be a good Feyd, but might be too old.
The Debt
On the question of Feyd's casting why not Iwan Rheon (Ramsay Bolton)? He has already proven he has the chops to be a menacing freak?

Now hear me out for the Emperor: DDL.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.