Dune [Spoiler Thread]

59,178 Views | 817 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Rocagnante
AliasMan02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Piter de Vries had an insane spice habit and the Baron kept him supplied. His eyes were blue like a Fremen. That (understandably) didn't make the movie.
Sex Panther
AG
Yeah where was this dude? I wanted to see Villenueve's take on it

StinkyPinky
AG
Haven't read through the spoilers thread so this may have already been discussed. But just finished the movie at Imax and was amazing. Loved how they kept close to the book, but felt like a major plot point was left out when they were in the tent after the Duke died and Paul told Jessica she was the Baron's daughter. Surprised they passed over that.
StinkyPinky
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

Went to see Dune on the Imax Sunday, but have been too sick since to gather my thoughts appropriately.

I've read the original novel 3-4 times, including a re-read last summer to get hyped for the movie.

A note on the trailers before it - Ghostbusters, Batman, Top Gun, and Spiderman 3 all got cheers and applause; Eternals got crickets

Positives
The design work of the world - really off the charts. You figured going in they would have to make it pretty different from everything out there while still being faithful to books that have been out for 50 years, and that was tough to do. Really dug the landing gear and the shape of a lot of the ships; they clearly looked like whatever physics we use to fly didn't really matter to them.

Chalamet's ability to articulate with his face. In the scene where he gains control of his fear during the Gom Jabbar test, that mofo turns on the acting chops, and he does it again when he takes out Jameis.

The voice effect. Incredible, especially when the Reverend Mother uses it on Paul.

Momoa - I hate him as Aquaman, but this is his niche - supporting character bad-ass.

The Baron's anti-grav technology. Super creepy, really well done.

Bardem - my favorite casting since the day they announced it. Wish he could have done more, but on to book 2

The visions near the end - it was hard to tell what was really happening and what was going on inside Paul's head and that was cool.

Negatives
Leaving out the big dinner scene where Paul takes over for his dad during the security breach and really starts to feel himself out as a leader and as a representative of House Atreidis. Really missed seeing it play out, especially because it gives a lot more feel of what politics are like in the galaxy, and the fact that Arrakis is not just all savages.

Leaving out the "indoor greenhouse" inside the residence on Arrakis, where Paul and his Mother are able to see what Dune could be like and where Lady Jessica got the warning note about the attack on Paul.

If I hadn't read the books, I think I would have understood about 1 out of every 10 lines.

Not enough of Oscar Isaac or Josh Brolin.

I love the soundtrack, but the volume of it at some places was so loud it made me want nothing more than for the scene to be over.

Randoms
Leto telling Paul he wanted to be a pilot when he was growing up was a nice Poe Dameron reference

Excellent comment. 3 biggest things I noticed missing where the two you mentioned (dinner party and the Arrakeen conservatory), and (just mentioned it previous post) the revelation that Jessica is the Barons illegitimate daughter. Everything else was pretty much spot on (obviously except for Dr Kynes had mammaries…). Other small change was when he told Jessica he knew she was pregnant. In the book he tells her in the tent after the Duke's assassination, whereas as in the movie it was much earlier. Great effort. Wife went in cold and liked it. Imax was a must for atleast one watch.
TCTTS
AG
Thanks for spoiling that Baron/Jessica revelation for the many people, including myself, who have said time and again in this thread that we haven't yet read the books. Can you not at least keep stuff like that behind spoiler tags?
PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

Thanks for spoiling that Baron/Jessica revelation for the many people, including myself, who have said time and again in this thread that we haven't yet read the books. Can you not at least keep stuff like that behind spoiler tags?
They even said "i havent read through this thread" first. A lot of people just dont care about ruining it for others
Sea Speed
AG
I just hope I forget it by the time the next one rolls around in 2023....if I don't read the book first I guess. Which i probably will, so its moot.
MaroonStain
AG
I haven't seen comments about the bodies being drained of blood while the merc army was in process of getting anointed. That was macabre AF.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
This.... is the spoilers thread... not sure what you expected.

This is the thread for movie discussion:
https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/2812788
powerbelly
AG
It's a spoiler thread. With lots of book spoilers that aren't in movie 1.

Not sure why this one is over the line.
MaroonStain
AG
It's not. Just ruffled feathers and all...
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
There are still a couple things I think TCTTS and others don't know that haven't been mentioned or at least directely said.
FL_Ag1998
AG
I can see it both ways.

Its a spoiler thread FOR THE MOVIE not the book. So yeah, mentioning something that wasn't in the movie and is likely being saved for the sequel is kind of a dbag move.

On the other hand, how much time have you non-book readers had to read the book? Quite a few of you have been saying for the past 3-4 years that you were going to read it in prep for the movie....yet you never did. Its the internet...a "slip" like this was bound to happen in a spoilers thread where book readers are dying to compare the book and the movie.
TCTTS
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

Nope. Like FL_Ag1998 said, this is the spoiler thread FOR THE MOVIE. If you want to talk second-half-of-the-book spoilers, or book spoilers they didn't include in the movie, start a book thread. It's a simple as that. This is no different than people having already seen a sequel, and having the common courtesy to not talk about the sequel yet in the spoiler thread for the first movie.
AliasMan02
AG
We've talked a lot about things that were in the book but not the movie. This is a little different, but at least in the area of that type of discussion. It's unlikely to come up if it hasn't yet.
powerbelly
AG
TCTTS said:

SpreadsheetAg said:

Nope. Like FL_Ag1998 said, this is the spoiler thread FOR THE MOVIE. If you want to talk second-half-of-the-book spoilers, or book spoilers they didn't include in the movie, start a book thread. It's a simple as that. This is no different than people having already seen a sequel, and having the common courtesy to not talk about the sequel yet in the spoiler thread for the first movie.

Where does it say movie only? The OP has book spoilers.
Chipotlemonger
AG
TCTTS said:

You were planning to read the book anyways right? Or do you not want the plot revealed with part 2 coming?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Let the record show I didn't start this spoiler argument.
AliasMan02
AG
This is true. The OP even says it's for the whole series.
StinkyPinky
AG
Wow, this is women's book club after all? Considering the thread title is SPOILERS, then there is really zero explanation required. I'd suggest that was probably not very smart of you to even read a thread with such a clearly stated title. If you will also notice my comments on the other thread, I carefully respected the environment to avoid revealing and spoilers. Some people don't live on here everyday and know all of the little self imposed rules and fiefdoms.
powerbelly
AG
Bonzer103 said:

Wow, this is women's book club after all? Considering the thread title is SPOILERS, then there is really zero explanation required. I'd suggest that was probably not very smart of you to even read a thread with such a clearly stated title. If you will also notice my comments on the other thread, I carefully respected the environment to avoid revealing and spoilers. Some people don't live on here everyday and know all of the little self imposed rules and fiefdoms.

Don't worry about it. He is just mad he hasn't read a 60 year old book.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Spoilers I don't think TCTTS knows

Jessica is pregnant and what the water of life will do to her, the baby, and to Paul. He also hasn't put together that Duncan is coming back. But this isn't until the 2nd book, but is one thing I question will happen in the 2nd movie.
Ornithopter
AG
Guys guys guys, it's not actually a spoiler for part two.

In the book, Paul tells Jessica about the Harkonnen heritage when they are in the tent. So, it's not really a spoiler it's a missing element from the movie.

Ta-da! Problem solved!
StinkyPinky
AG
He should be mad at the thread title. And also chuckling at the conviction about a plot point in the book that's not in the movie, but proceeding to ruin the book by watching said movie first. Not the most logical concern. But look, with all due respect, I'll happily go find another Spoiler Thread that lives up to it's name so I can openly discuss DUNE. For the sake of all that is good and holy, it's time for this bye week to end…
The Porkchop Express
Do we even know that the Jessica/ harkonnen connection is in the sequel? Because is it's not, then nobody posted a spoiler. The entire first page is full of much bigger spoilers than that. I love you to death, TC, but you're the one asking for information about things, seeking out and posting explanation videos about all these tiny details from the film, etc. Again, the book is 56 years old. When you come to the spoiler thread you're going to see spoilers for dune in its entirety .
powerbelly
AG
He can go start a movie spoiler thread.
Claude!
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Let the record show I didn't start this spoiler argument.
It's been always burning since the worm's been turning.
Sea Speed
AG
This is infinitely better than star wars. Just wanted to throw that out there.
StinkyPinky
AG
So for clarity, I thought your beef was I spoiled that plot point for you for when you go back and read the book. So that I misunderstood. If you are worried that it intentionally wasn't shown in this movie as a plot point for the next movie (which is an understandable assumption), then rest easy, it's not. My comment was I was surprised it was left out, but it was left out because he didn't feel it was relevant. And it's really not based on how he is telling the story. So, no, you didn't just learn that Vader is Luke's father.
Chipotlemonger
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

Do we even know that the Jessica/ harkonnen connection is in the sequel? Because is it's not, then nobody posted a spoiler. The entire first page is full of much bigger spoilers than that. I love you to death, TC, but you're the one asking for information about things, seeking out and posting explanation videos about all these tiny details from the film, etc. Again, the book is 56 years old. When you come to the spoiler thread you're going to see spoilers for dune in its entirety .

I'll echo this sentiment. Also, I bet TC avoids this thread now so he may not even see any of our subsequent posts after that lineage revelation post.

I also doubt it is thrown into movie 2, but maybe it is.

And it is also not NEAR as vital or important as the Vader/Luke relationship. This is a minor spoiler all being said. Story can live without it.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
TCTTS said:

SpreadsheetAg said:

Nope, this is MY OP. All Dune talk is welcome here.

(Start your own Dune Movie 1 [only] spoilers thread, if it's that important to you)
AliasMan02
AG
The connection is really more about showing more about the BG breeding program and what they intended to be their next best chance of breeding the KH. How even Jessica was a pawn in that game and how the BG support for the Atreides-Harkonnen feud was really all about creating a scenario where a political marriage would emerge as part of a peace deal. Plans within plans.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Arrakis ecologist said:

Spoilers I don't think TCTTS knows

Jessica is pregnant and what the water of life will do to her, the baby, and to Paul. He also hasn't put together that Duncan is coming back. But this isn't until the 2nd book, but is one thing I question will happen in the 2nd movie.

I think they do it. Momoa was great in the first and I could see them wanting to capitalize on it. I could see them having it as a big reveal like as a after credits scene to get people hyped for the 3rd one.
Ornithopter
AG
Quad Dog
AG
TCTTS said:

SpreadsheetAg said:

Go read the first few posts on page one of this thread, it's an established book spoiler thread.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.