Dune [Spoiler Thread]

59,165 Views | 817 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Rocagnante
SpreadsheetAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
schmidthead said:

I literally finish everything I start (an OCD thing I'd imagine), but I can't seem to get through Book 4.

Audiobooks; much easier to listen to that one... it's a slog.

5 picks up steam again; almost done and loving it
TCTTS
AG
Great interview…

PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

Great interview…

He had a really great point about the Oscars, and how you can just see celebrities any time of the day you want now.
tamuangry
Has anyone heard recent news about a possible Blu ray release with IMAX formatting?
TCTTS
AG
I've been keeping and eye out and it won't be happening anytime soon, unfortunately. Current speculation is that they might release the IMAX version on digital/Blu-ray in 2023, ahead of the theatrical release of the sequel, but who knows. So frustrating.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
tamuangry
TCTTS said:

I've been keeping and eye out and it won't be happening anytime soon, unfortunately. Current speculation is that they might release the IMAX version on digital/Blu-ray in 2023, ahead of the theatrical release of the sequel, but who knows. So frustrating.

Thanks! I'm giving up and buying the blu ray that's available. If they end up creating a special edition IMAX for the 1st movie…I'll know I can wait to get the set on IMAX in a few years.
TCTTS
AG
And the news for Part Two officially begins...

heddleston
AG
Oooh that's really good casting. Who else do we need for this? The Emperor and Alia? Feyd?
Decay
AG
heddleston said:

Oooh that's really good casting. Who else do we need for this? The Emperor and Alia? Feyd?

Alia's just a baby still right?
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Decay said:

heddleston said:

Depends on when they kick back off... if it's 2-3 years later, then she will be that old... since she was in Jessica's belly at the end of the last movie...

I am trying to remember from the books, but the timeline on Wiki suggests that Alia is born in 10191 and slays the Baron at 10193... 2 years old and killing already.

I think in an effort to not make this super ridiculous for a movie audience, and hard on themselves with finding a child actor at such a young age who could pull this off, they will find a young looking, semi-competent 6-7 year old who could pass for a 4-5 year old and move forward that way. Since Alia was "pre born" she has generations of Bene Gesserit and other ancestral minds/memories in her from birth.

Whoever the find to play that role will need to be young but act like an ancient full of wisdom but also with the emotions and behaviors of a child. Super tough role for a kid.
mazag08
AG
Is there a female Peter Dinklage?

Just de-age the face and you're set.
wangus12
AG
If it had been done years ago, I'd say Bella Ramsey from GoT.

She's now 18 though

SpreadsheetAg
AG
mazag08 said:

Is there a female Peter Dinklage?

Just de-age the face and you're set.
Actually, really not a horrible idea... they could say she "aged" in the womb due to her other memory.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/world-news/dwarf-girl-accused-being-adult-20542539 (adult as in, tried as an adult for attempted murder)

(She's already got the attempted murder part down)
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

Decay said:

heddleston said:

Depends on when they kick back off... if it's 2-3 years later, then she will be that old... since she was in Jessica's belly at the end of the last movie...

I am trying to remember from the books, but the timeline on Wiki suggests that Alia is born in 10191 and slays the Baron at 10193... 2 years old and killing already.

I think in an effort to not make this super ridiculous for a movie audience, and hard on themselves with finding a child actor at such a young age who could pull this off, they will find a young looking, semi-competent 6-7 year old who could pass for a 4-5 year old and move forward that way. Since Alia was "pre born" she has generations of Bene Gesserit and other ancestral minds/memories in her from birth.

Whoever the find to play that role will need to be young but act like an ancient full of wisdom but also with the emotions and behaviors of a child. Super tough role for a kid.

Basically like Dakota Fanning used to be.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The girl from Once Upon a Time in Hollywood would be perfect but she sounds like she's just slightly too old now.
Quad Dog
AG
Florence Pugh is amazing in everything. But I'm a little disappointed with the casting of her and I can't say why. I think it's just too obvious. Irulan is a pretty small and thankless part, especially if they are trying emphasize Zendaya as Chani, so probably Pugh will be on screen for a short time and be amazing like she always is.
I think I would have preferred some kind of stunt casting and just been blown away in the theater that someone like Billie Eilish popped in for a few minutes.
Decay
AG
But Irulan is said to be attractive
Quad Dog
AG
Decay said:

But Irulan is said to be attractive
Honestly, my first thought was Beyonce, but she's too old so I just went with the modern equivalent.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Butler played Tex in Once Upon a Time In Hollywood and, more notably, is Elvis in Warner Bros' big, splashy biopic this summer...

TCTTS
AG
This is a really good piece...

Quote:

I'm finishing the screenplay now, and we expect to be shooting by summer, which is practically tomorrow morning. With the first half of Dune, the toughest part was introducing the world and laying down the rules. Now just the fun of the story is left. I'm always very cautious discussing movies that are in the making; they're full of fragile ideas. But the second one will definitely be more visual and less dialogue-driven. And, hopefully, there will be another film after that. Dune Messiah, Herbert's second novel in this universe, would make total sense as a third movie because it completes Paul Atreides's arc. I want to make part two as fast as possible, then I will wait a few years - until Timothe Chalamet gets a bit older - to do the final installment.
TCTTS
AG
I just realized that we get Nolan's Oppenheimer and Villeneuve's Dune: Part Two within three months of each other.
TCTTS
AG
The Porkchop Express
TCTTS said:

I just realized that we get Nolan's Oppenheimer and Villeneuve's Dune: Part Two within three months of each other.
You read the book yet?
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
TCTTS
AG
Nope. First movie was too good, with the second just around the corner, so I'm gonna stay fresh.
The Porkchop Express
TCTTS said:

Nope. First movie was too good, with the second just around the corner, so I'm gonna stay fresh.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
TCTTS
AG
Sex Panther
AG
I'm reading the book right now and I'll get crucified for this, but man it is an absolute slog

If I hadn't already seen the movies and know the story I'd be completely lost. I have no clue what the hell they are talking about half the time
Quad Dog
AG
Sex Panther said:

I'm reading the book right now and I'll get crucified for this, but man it is an absolute slog

If I hadn't already seen the movies and know the story I'd be completely lost. I have no clue what the hell they are talking about half the time

It does drop you off on the deep end with the terminology. Dinner editions come with a glossary to help.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Oscar Winner for:
Best Cinematography
Film Editting
Production Design
Sound
Music (Film Score)
Visual Effects
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Sex Panther said:

I read the book right before the movie came out for the first time. It took me about a quarter of the book constantly checking the glossary in the back to understand all the new words. Definitely a slog.

Once i understood all the terminology, I flew through the remainder at a breakneck pace. The second half of the book is awesome.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

Oscar Winner for:
Best Cinematography
Film Editting
Production Design
Sound
Music (Film Score)
Visual Effects
It always fascinates me that a movie can get so much love (rightly so) in most of the technical categories, but is not taken seriously for the big awards because it's a genre movie.
Max Power
AG
Watched again yesterday, DV got robbed. My only real big gripe remains that the movie is too dark for a large amount of the film. I can adjust the brightness on my iPad at least. If they re-released it in theaters with brighter visuals I would 100% go back to the theater to see it again.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.