Dune [Spoiler Thread]

59,168 Views | 817 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Rocagnante
MaroonStain
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

schmendeler said:

How about the guy that played Ramsay Bolton?

He isn't charismatic enough.

Exactly. In other movies, he still has zero oomph in the role.
Carlo4
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

I do think Bill Skarsgrd could work really well. He's young enough, good looking enough, is in great shape, can do creepy really well. And his real life dad being the Baron is fun.

Plus he has an excellent first name.
He's Pennywise the Dancing Harkonnen
Quad Dog
AG
You know who can pul off handsome, menacing, caring, loving, hated, hateful.... Antony Starr. The guys kills it on The Boys.

Decay
AG
Now that's just cheating. The acting and casting and writing for that show are unreal.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
I know he's already been suggested, but I like the idea of Harry Styles. I think he has the look, is of appropriate age, but also has the similar background as Sting which i think would be a great callback to the 1984 version. he acted well in Dunkirk but i dont know if he would have the gravitas to really play the role of Feyd, which is my only holdup. could very easily turn into an instance of stunt casting that would detract from the rest of the film
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Feyd is 15 or 16 at the beginning of the first book ad about 18-19 when he meets Paul

Quote:

The Baron could see the path ahead of him. One day, a Harkonnen would be Emperor. Not himself, and no spawn of his loins. But a Harkonnen. Not this Rabban he'd summoned, of course. But Rabban's younger brother, young Feyd-Rautha. There was a sharpness to the boy that the Baron enjoyed ... a ferocity ... A year or two more say, by the time he's seventeen, I'll know for certain whether he's the tool that House Harkonnen requires to gain the throne
Ol Jock 99
AG
I really don't think Feyd's age makes any difference other than "youngish".
FL_Ag1998
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

I could be remembering it wrong, but Feyd is about the same age as Paul, with the point being that Feyd may have just as easily been the Chosen One that the BG were trying to produce. I believe there were lines in the book by the old lady BG to that end.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Sure, in the book. But that is an extreme small plotpoint that wasn't explored much at all in the book and has a 0.00000001% chance of making it into the movie.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
I think Feyd and the daughter of Duke Leto / Jessica
powerbelly
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

I think Feyd and the daughter of Duke Leto / Jessica
This.
Claude!
FL_Ag1998 said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

I could be remembering it wrong, but Feyd is about the same age as Paul, with the point being that Feyd may have just as easily been the Chosen One that the BG were trying to produce. I believe there were lines in the book by the old lady BG to that end.
Yeah, I think the only explicitly referenced failed Kwisatch Haderach was Count Fenring.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Claude! said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

Yeah, I think the only explicitly referenced failed Kwisatch Haderach was Count Fenring.

I thought Fenring said there were others in the past that had great abilities but failed the tests.

(I am unspoiler tagging since this is the spoilers thread, don't want precedence established)
SpreadsheetAg
AG
FINALLY going to see it! 11:05 matinee in Cypress
The Debt
Having not read past Dune (20 years ago), I dont understand the focus on the Kwisatch Haderach because the fremen focus on the Mahdi.

When Paul comes to full bloom as the Kwisatch Haderach he isnt what the Reverend Mother or the BG wanted....he is something beyond their grasp.
Yes he is the Kwisatch Haderach, but he is also something more.

DVs interpretation (saw it a 2nd time) makes the fremen myth just a reinterpretation of the BG myth...or rather the BG implanted the concept of the myth into the fremen mythos in order to aid in the fruition of a Kwisatch Haderach from their lands.
YouBet
AG
The Debt said:

Having not read past Dune (20 years ago), I dont understand the focus on the Kwisatch Haderach because the fremen focus on the Mahdi.

When Paul comes to full bloom as the Kwisatch Haderach he isnt what the Reverend Mother or the BG wanted....he is something beyond their grasp.

DVs interpretation (saw it a 2nd time) makes the fremen myth just a reinterpretation of the BG myth...or rather the BG implanted the concept of the myth into the fremen mythos in order to aid in the fruition of a Kwisatch Haderach from their lands.
There is quite a bit of this concept shared in the novel though. It's not just DV's interpretation.
Claude!
YouBet said:

The Debt said:

There is quite a bit of this concept shared in the novel though. It's not just DV's interpretation.
Yep. Kind of like how Finkle is Einhorn and Einhorn is Finkle, the Madhi is the Kwisatch Haderach and vice versa.
Duncan Idaho
But the Fremen version was never intended to be anything. It was a myth planted by the Missionaria Protectiva to ensure a common mythos in the event the BG ever needed to call upon it for their own needs.

They never believed that the KH or anything similar would come out of the Fremen.
Claude!
Duncan Idaho said:

But the Fremen version was never intended to be anything. It was a myth planted by the Missionaria Protectiva to ensure a common mythos in the event the BG ever needed to call upon it for their own needs.

They never believed that the KH or anything similar would come out of the Fremen.
I guess the BG aren't as in control of things as they think they are. Kind of like the Bene Tleilax, right...Duncan?
G Martin 87
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

He didn't. Paul is an Atreides KH by birth, produced by the BG breeding program. The Fremen Mahdi prophecy specifies an "outworlder", not a native Fremen. There isn't a discrepancy.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

FINALLY going to see it! 11:05 matinee in Cypress
Oh wow.... loved it. I think it hit all the major themes. The stuff about Yueh and Thufir are overblown; they fulfilled their plots with minimal interference on Pual's story.

They touched on the political dangers adequately, IMO. I think DV struck a really good balance of making it followable and interesting to new viewers and staying pretty damned true to the actual story.

I LOVED it.
GCRanger
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

MBAR said:

If only hair color could be changed.

Hair color?

The guy to the right of Bautista looks like Menard.

Sea Speed
AG
He looks like powder on a testosterone fueled goth and cyberpunk decade long trip
SpreadsheetAg
AG
You'll flay me for this probably, but an actor who could pull off dark hair or shaved head and pouty lips and actually looks a tiny bit like he could be Dave Bautista's little brother from the nose up...

Taylor Lautner

**ducks**

Also, he's probably a swell guy, but he can easily pull off condescending hubris that compels him to challenge Muad'dib, cheat, and lose.
Ol Jock 99
AG
As a big Tool fan, I will choose to believe this henceforth.
Southlake
YouBet said:

Finally hit me that Haynes King looks like Joffrey.
Malfoy

Just saw it today. Read the book 30 years ago and it all came back - except the damn dinner scene!

Overall A+. Love SciFi, but to get to this level is very rare.

Most of the good points have bern covered but I'll chime in with a couple:

Losing Leto early was like losing Ned Stark early!

They didn't go in too much detail in the movie but I remember that B Hark was like Jabba with puss sores all over his body.

And the desert suits recycled all body fluids including the unmentionable ones if you were female made me throw up a bit in the back of my mouth - but hey, Desert Power!
YouBet
AG
Southlake said:

YouBet said:

Malfoy

Just saw it today. Read the book 30 years ago and it all came back - except the damn dinner scene!

They didn't go in too much detail in the movie but I remember that B Hark was like Jabba with puss sores all over his body.

And the desert suits recycled all body fluids including the unmentionable ones if you were female made me throw up a bit in the back of my mouth - but hey, Desert Power!
Actually, I'm reading it right now and at least through 60+% of the novel this isn't mentioned at all. Baron completely avoided Leto's poison attack and made it behind a door before the poison ever touched him.

Different than DV's depiction.
The Debt
Claude! said:

YouBet said:

The Debt said:

Yep. Kind of like how Finkle is Einhorn and Einhorn is Finkle, the Madhi is the Kwisatch Haderach and vice versa.
But again, if he is the fruition of the BG plot, why is he hostile to the BG? Or rather why did the BG aid in the creation a monster they cannot control?

I think of it as competing religious orders (BG and fremen), both have the foretelling of a god-man, but the fremen hold the true religion.
Claude!
The Debt said:

Claude! said:

YouBet said:

The Debt said:

But again, if he is the fruition of the BG plot, why is he hostile to the BG? Or rather why did the BG aid in the creation a monster they cannot control?

I think of it as competing religious orders (BG and fremen), both have the foretelling of a god-man, but the fremen hold the true religion.
Perhaps the BG thought the Kwisatch Haderach was going to be one thing (and under their control or at least influence), but he turned out to be something that would not be guided or controlled.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
The Debt said:

Claude! said:

YouBet said:

The Debt said:

No, the BG's implanted various religions all across the Galaxy over thousands of years in order to influence events. They implication is the more hostile the living conditions, the more drastic the prophecies put in place. And it makes sense, especially when looking at arrakis. The Fremen believe in an outworlder son and mother that will come save them from their hardships. That would apply to Paul and Jessica, but it's also set up to apply to almost anyone new the emperor would have put in place, especially after a bunch of hostilities from the Harkonens. If it turns out to not be the true Mahdi, no big deal, the true one will be there eventually.

Paul was not intended to be the KH by the BG's. They wanted Jessica to have a daughter so they could marry her off to the Harkonnens, end the blood feud, and have the child be a strong likelihood of being the KH. The fact that Jessica defied them, then training Paul in his powers, means that he's naturally outside of their control a little bit. And since they basically plotted, influenced, or at least were accepting of the Harkonnens murdering his father with imperial troops, he will not be happy with the BG for the foreseeable future.
The Dog Lord
AG
The Debt said:

Claude! said:

YouBet said:

The Debt said:

They didn't plan on Paul being the KH. Jessica was supposed to produce a daughter. I believe she may have trained Paul beyond what the BG expected as well which led the BG to test whether he was "human."
powerbelly
AG
The Dog Lord said:

The Debt said:

Claude! said:

YouBet said:

The Debt said:

They didn't plan on Paul being the KH. Jessica was supposed to produce a daughter. I believe she may have trained Paul beyond what the BG expected as well which led the BG to test whether he was "human."
All BG take the test of humanity. They tested him to see if he had the potential to be the KH
SpreadsheetAg
AG
YouBet said:

Southlake said:

YouBet said:

Malfoy

Actually, I'm reading it right now and at least through 60+% of the novel this isn't mentioned at all. Baron completely avoided Leto's poison attack and made it behind a door before the poison ever touched him.

On BVH; I think you're remembering the 1984 movie... that dude was hard to look at with all the oozing. And I think Pitre at one point is playing Dr. Pimple Popper.

One scene that stuck out to me was a cool minute detail; when BVH is eating dinner at the fortress on Arakkis after the takeover and Leto is incapacitated in the chair. Your hear the repulsor sound engage (a low arachnid popping sound) and he floats over the table and as he's getting closer his feet drag on the table lifeless... it just really stayed with me that they sold out on the little things.

Also, every time the Baron was about to move his monstrous form you also hear the same spider-clacking popping sound. Very cool and I assume are emanating from the cyborg attachment on his back engaging.
YouBet
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

YouBet said:

Southlake said:

YouBet said:

Malfoy

On BVH; I think you're remembering the 1984 movie... that dude was hard to look at with all the oozing. And I think Pitre at one point is playing Dr. Pimple Popper.

One scene that stuck out to me was a cool minute detail; when BVH is eating dinner at the fortress on Arakkis after the takeover and Leto is incapacitated in the chair. Your hear the repulsor sound engage (a low arachnid popping sound) and he floats over the table and as he's getting closer his feet drag on the table lifeless... it just really stayed with me that they sold out on the little things.

Also, every time the Baron was about to move his monstrous form you also hear the same spider-clacking popping sound. Very cool and I assume are emanating from the cyborg attachment on his back engaging.
I assume you are replying to Southlake.
The Dog Lord
AG
powerbelly said:

The Dog Lord said:

The Debt said:

Claude! said:

YouBet said:

The Debt said:

All BG take the test of humanity. They tested him to see if he had the potential to be the KH
But I don't think they would have needed to test Paul if Jessica had trained him so much, correct? I don't think they were expecting him to be trained up in BG ways which is why they weren't controlling over his upbringing. Once they found out he had been trained so much, they decided to test him. I may be making all of that up, but I could have sworn that was the explanation for why they weren't trying to control him sooner as a potential KH.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.