Dune [Spoiler Thread]

57,928 Views | 817 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Rocagnante
powerbelly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sea Speed said:

So for real, what do the sand worms eat?
IIRC Sand
Sea Speed
AG
Well thats convenient. Seems like whales eating water though.
DVC2010
AG
Sea Speed said:

Why are you asking us? Do we look like planetary ecologists to you?
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Sea Speed said:

they eat sandplankton, which is a larval form of sandtrout, which is a larval form of tthe worms. So they are cannibals of their children.

sandplankton eat spice. So it is a cycle all of themselves.

Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
powerbelly said:

Sea Speed said:

IIRC Sand
I seem to recall someone saying that sand is coarse, rough, irritating, and that it gets everywhere. Gotta be a bad diet those worms are on. (No wonder they go after those spice trawlers and any dipstick people that just happen to be walking about, must be like me and a bowl of Blue Bell ice cream).
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
DVC2010 said:

Sea Speed said:

Yes
Sea Speed
AG
Literally laughing at this.

MaroonStain
AG
Arrakis ecologist said:

DVC2010 said:

Sea Speed said:

Yes

The greatest username change in the history of Texags.
Claude!
MaroonStain said:

What is the story of the Baron?

Cyborg...alien...part monster...?

Any links to history of the Baron and how f***ed this character is ---> flying, healing in oil/blood/balsamic vinegar and imposing as hades.

???
Human, with some implants that allow him to float, because he's too fat to walk on his own.
Cromagnum
AG
Sea Speed said:

Sand plankton, which are precursors to sand trout, which are precursors to sand worms.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Cromagnum said:

Sea Speed said:

Sand plankton, which are precursors to sand trout, which are precursors to sand worms.

Duh
Cromagnum
AG
Arrakis ecologist said:

Cromagnum said:

Sea Speed said:

Duh

Love this username. LOL
Decay
AG
But then where does the spice come from?!
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Decay said:

But then where does the spice come from?!

Mathguy64
AG
MaroonStain said:

Arrakis ecologist said:

DVC2010 said:

Sea Speed said:

Yes

That's a long 6 months.
The Porkchop Express
MaroonStain said:

Arrakis ecologist said:

DVC2010 said:

Sea Speed said:

Yes

Is this you?

Duncan Idaho
MaroonStain said:

Arrakis ecologist said:

DVC2010 said:

Sea Speed said:

Yes

I wish TA listed all of the previous user names tied to an account.

No I have no idea who this is. I guess I will just have to assume fat bib is back.
Sea Speed
AG
He is, and it is not arakkis ecologist
powerbelly
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

MaroonStain said:

Arrakis ecologist said:

DVC2010 said:

Sea Speed said:

Yes

I wish TA listed all of the previous user names tied to an account.

No I have no idea who this is. I guess I will just have to assume fat bib is back.
He was back with a different user name.
Sea Speed
AG
When someone changes names you can go look for old posts they were quoted in and it will show their past usernames.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Brennus -> Sarduakar -> Shai-Halud -> Baron Von Flag Smasher -> Arrakis ecologist
AliasMan02
AG
Sea Speed said:

I fully got the feeling that he knew or believed something was going to happen. Non book reader.

He did, and I think the movie covered it even if it didn't beat you over the head with it.

1. Leto knew it was a trap. He said as much, and all around him recognized how dangerous it was to go to Arrakis. They talk a lot about political danger, the massive wealth being given up by the Harkonnen that they would certainly begrudge, etc. He even hesitates when the time came to seal the deal (so to speak) despite his confident words about duty and courage to the herald.

2. Leto has a plan to turn the trap around on the Emperor and Baron, though. That's Desert Power, which doesn't mean riding sandworms around. He's talking about his desired alliance with the Fremen. Hawat has guessed that these natives, known by all to be incredibly deadly warriors, number in the millions and not just the thousands. An alliance with them gives the Atreides the most lethal army in the universe and the political capital to hold Arrakis and keep the hated Harkonnen and jealous Emperor at bay.

3. Things go south almost immediately for Leto. As his new fief, he has to give tribute to the Emperor in the form of spice. Massive tribute. Leto knew the Baron would hinder these efforts but thought he could expect some support from the Judge of the Change. This is the Emperor's spice that is being denied him, after all, but Leto underestimated the Emperor's involvement in the betrayal. Leto thought he would have more time to turn things around, and more support in doing so.

4. Things still probably would have worked out okay for the Atreides, but Yueh was the trump card Leto didn't expect. The Atreides never even got to mount a defense. The Baron outmaneuvered the Duke.

And that's all in the movie, I think. Having knowledge of the book helps, of course.
Sea Speed
AG
Yes you nailed it. I fully understood all of those things. It was spelled out fantastically I think. I was not lost whatsoever and I was basically ignorant on the entire premise.
wangus12
AG
Just finished 2nd watch in theaters. Such a great film. I love the music for House Atreides when they arrive on Arrakis. I can see Zimmer's thought process in using bagpipes since House Atreides is from Caladan (Caledonia aka Scotland).

Man this film is gonna go down as a work of art. Like someone else said. Shortest long movie of all time. I could watch that for 6 hours straight easily
schmendeler
AG
The two parts together will be epic!
Sea Speed
AG
schmendeler said:

I will absolutely back to back them in a theater. I hope they do it with an ~10 minute intermission.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Sea Speed said:

schmendeler said:

I will absolutely back to back them in a theater. I hope they do it with an ~10 minute intermission.

If you were watching in a nice Fremen made stillsuit you wouldn't even need that 10 mins
Sea Speed
AG
I'm not above an old fashioned Gatorade bottle.
Sea Speed
AG
Since we are talking about having to use the head, I legit judge movies by how much I can ignore my bladder. If using the restroom comes in to my head I know the movie has lost me in some way. In some movies I almost completely stop paying attention because I get so focused on having to use the head. I was very much worried about this going in to a 2.5 + hour sitting with the previews. Legit didn't pop in to my head once, which honestly blows my mind.
Sea Speed
AG
Ok, real question. Why do the navigators need spice for interstellar travel? I think that is the only thing I really didn't catch or understand. And there are only a small handful of these navigators, or can anyone do it with enough spice and time.

Also how long do these people live? Paul's grandfather Battles bulls, but for an interstellar family to have so much power, surely they are centuries upon centuries established. It seems weird that their whole house lore would rest just a generation removed.
schmendeler
AG
Spice has psychotropic powers. It actually grants a degree of prescience, depending on various factors.
Sea Speed
AG
I caught the psychotropic aspect, amd I guess it makes sense. Last time I tripped all I did was stare in to space anyways.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Sea Speed said:

Ok, real question. Why do the navigators need spice for interstellar travel? I think that is the only thing I really didn't catch or understand. And there are only a small handful of these navigators, or can anyone do it with enough spice and time.

Also how long do these people live? Paul's grandfather Battles bulls, but for an interstellar family to have so much power, surely they are centuries upon centuries established. It seems weird that their whole house lore would rest just a generation removed.

The navigators use spice to "fold space" with their mind. Basically making a wormhole from points. I wouldn't say anyone, time and having the aptitude matter. It is basically like the other training houses( mentats, or Battle masters which is what Duncan was) you train and are given spice. There is a bit more to it but could potentially ruin part 2.

Spice does prolong life as well. But only the ultra rich can buy it.
The Porkchop Express
Sea Speed said:

Using the spice to the degree that the navigators do also has some significant, and in most versions of Dune, not so pleasant effects on them, physically and in other ways. Probably better they didn't show them in the first movie, it will probably be a lot to unpack depending on how DV designs them in Part 2
Cromagnum
AG
Sea Speed said:

There are different levels of spice addiction. The blue eyes (eyes of Ibad) that the Fremen have is the first sign. Guild navigators are basically in a container with a continuous dose of spice and are heavily mutated as a result. They don't look human at all.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.