Dune [Spoiler Thread]

59,176 Views | 817 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Rocagnante
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I finally found an answer for this, as I was curious as well, and it's basically because they know this is the moment their lives are changing forever. It's very symbolic. They'll never go back to wearing their Caladan garb again. The desert life/stillsuits are their new future, etc.
swimmerbabe11
That was NOT the vibe I got. definitely not well expressed at all.

it looked like it was a wierd unnecessary sexual tension moment. they should have held the packs or something, before he was getting undressed.
Bird Poo
AG
I've watched the movie 4 times and totally agree
TCTTS
AG
If intended, the filmmakers definitely didn't succeed at conveying that, but it's the answer I've come across the most. That said, just a few minutes later Jessica seems to think they can bargain their way back to Caladan, so who knows…
Sea Speed
AG
Well his mom is smoking hot and they ARE aliens from outer space....
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

If intended, the filmmakers definitely didn't succeed at conveying that, but it's the answer I've come across the most. That said, just a few minutes later Jessica seems to think they can bargain their way back to Caladan, so who knows…

Answer by who exactly?
TCTTS
AG
Read my next post. Just a few random explanations I found. Couple articles, a Ringer podcast, etc.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So just speculation? Not really an answer then.

It definitely felt weird to me too and bordering on sexual.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Sea Speed said:

Well his mom is smoking hot and they ARE aliens from outer space....

They're humans and the year is 10,000 plus. But I could see wokeism prevailing - I mean they're already trying to remove the stigma from Pedophilia in the USA; next will be incest (see GoT)... so 8,000 years from now who knows what will be acceptable
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

So just speculation? Not really an answer then.

It definitely felt weird to me too and bordering on sexual.

I said *an* answer - as in one possible answer - not THE answer.
swimmerbabe11
your answer is definitely the best construction and I'm willing to go with that. My friend and I that watched absolutely looked at each other during that moment with the same thought. I cant believe no one stopped in editing and said "uhhhh did they just do a romcom changing after getting soaked in the rain style steal a glance thing? lets just uh.. not do that"

but, I like your explanation, lets go for that. I didnt think about them never going back to the old life type thing. I was thinking "get the suit on fast who cares about nakedness"
SpreadsheetAg
AG
I took it as a mutual, "I guess we have to do this, better get it over with..."
YouBet
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

That was NOT the vibe I got. definitely not well expressed at all.

it looked like it was a wierd unnecessary sexual tension moment. they should have held the packs or something, before he was getting undressed.
I thought the same thing and then quickly just told myself to mentally move on from it.
schmendeler
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

I took it as a mutual, "I guess we have to do this, better get it over with..."

Same.
PatAg
AG
I didn't see it as a sexual scene at all, and neither did any of my friends I talk about movies with.
Maybe it's just people bringing in baggage from other movies or tv shows, that are having those takes on this thread?
Quad Dog
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

ok, so I can't read all 20 pages, but the part where Jessica and Paul are changing into their stillsuits, and they awkwardly glance backwards to see if the other is getting naked yet made me start giggling. why was that a thing? so wierd.
It's part of what other posters are saying, that once they put on those stillsuits it's making a decision that impact the rest of their life. And if the prophesies about Paul are correct, will impact the rest of the galaxy. Once they put those stillsuits on, they aren't taking them off.
Part of it also was Jessica seeing her son as a man for the first time, but not in a sexual way.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Dang fellas,

We are now debating if Paul has an Oedipus complex????

Remember the worms are genderless and just choose to identify as spice producing. Only the "Fabulous" worms let stupid little humans ride on them.
The Porkchop Express
I think the point being missed on the Paul/Mom changing scene is that there is a formality to their relationship inside House Attreides. She is his mother but she's not the wife of the Duke, so it's not like the two of them grew up with the traditional mother-son relationship at all times. Their time together is a bit more formal, like when she enters his chambers at various times in the early going, it's not just checking on him, it's for a specific task at a specific time.

The fact that she's having to change clothes in front of him is that relationship changing because the circumstances have changed so dramatically.
swimmerbabe11
moans. for the record, I didn't think it was on purpose or anything actually oedipus-ish ..oedipal? just an accidental wierd moment.
swimmerbabe11
I knew it

the lighting felt very similar.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.indiewire.com/2020/07/denis-villeneuve-deakins-blade-runner-influence-dune-1234572663/amp/
Duncan Idaho
I took it along those lines. The relationship between Paul and Jessica change from Mother/child (a relationship based on one being a caretaker or protector) to Mother/son (a relationship of peers)
Bird Poo
AG
Jamis.

I've watched this movie 4 times and Paul clearly has visions of Jamis instructing him in the way of a Fremen. Yet, he kills Jamis due to the challenge.

In the book, I don't remember Jamis speaking to Paul from the future. What is up with that?
Claude!
PearlJammin said:

Jamis.

I've watched this movie 4 times and Paul clearly has visions of Jamis instructing him in the way of a Fremen. Yet, he kills Jamis due to the challenge.

In the book, I don't remember Jamis speaking to Paul from the future. What is up with that?
If you look at it from a certain lens, Jamis in the real world taught Paul very important lessons in the way of the Fremen - the importance of honor, how to kill as a Fremen (and how to kill generally), and how overriding the concern for water is to a Fremen.
YouBet
AG
PearlJammin said:

Jamis.

I do think he saw a vision in the book of Jamis training him or fighting alongside him but don't think there was any speaking. Just one of the many possible future outcomes that Paul was seeing.
Duncan Idaho
It was how DV was trying to show Paul's growing prescience. He was able to see the many path's that the future could take. In one of those path's Janis was his friend and mentor. When he picked up the Crysknife, he locked out that path for the future.
The Porkchop Express
Jameis after the first 5 seconds of that fight.

SpreadsheetAg
AG
And those visions were just from Paul "breathing" in the geriatric spice melange particles. Wait until he has spice ingested at every meal and with each coffee service. Wait until the Water of Life is drunk...

Paul then basically becomes Dr. Strange, but it only takes him a snap of the finger to see the trillions of possibilities and see eons past and present. Can't wait to see how this is portrayed.

Did you notice the fremen of Seitch Tabr started calling Lady Jessica "Sayyadina" right away? I thought that didn't happen until later in the first book, after she met Reverend Mother Ramallo.

Speaking of which, I wonder who will play that role in Part 2 (Ramallo)?
Duncan Idaho
helloimustbegoing said:

Jameis after the first 5 seconds of that fight.

This caused a literal lol
swimmerbabe11

TCTTS
AG
Would watch.
cone
AG
Do you think there's a potential Director's Cut with the dinner scene from the novel?

Or since they showed the carryall decrepit rather than MIA, then it wouldn't fit as well.

i wish they showed how Kynes was in league with the smugglers. hell, I wish Kynes wasn't just a plot device in this movie.
YouBet
AG
cone said:

Do you think there's a potential Director's Cut with the dinner scene from the novel?

Or since they showed the carryall decrepit rather than MIA, then it wouldn't fit as well.

i wish they showed how Kynes was in league with the smugglers. hell, I wish Kynes wasn't just a plot device in this movie.

He's already said what we saw is the full cut.
Ol Jock 99
AG
There is zero chance he filmed the dinner scene and cut it for another 3 shots of Chani dream-walking.
cone
AG
that's tough

i think it's pretty important to show Kynes getting won over by the nobility of the Atreides
Duncan Idaho
swimmerbabe11 said:

I'm old enough to remember when the bee was actually funny.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.