Dune [Spoiler Thread]

59,283 Views | 817 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Rocagnante
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
She had a character arc. She started out as an aid to the empire, but ultimately realized her true calling was to her people. She CHANGED. There have been a number of instances in this thread where people seem to not understand this basic tenet of storytelling. Characters start out one way, then end another way, usually with a greater understanding of themselves and the world around them. I really don't understand how this is confusing, especially considering the way she died. I thought her arc was very poignant, and very well done.
StinkyPinky
AG
MBAR said:

Bonzer103 said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

Champ Bailey said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

You just stated, correctly in my opinion, that its a visual and auditory masterpiece, but is that all we expect from movies? Think how many people would typically be docking points from it for thin character development and rushing plot points if it wasn't from Villeneuve. I think because it is then a lot of people, at least on this thread, are more forgiving than they normally would be.

I don't see how one can say plot points were rushed. They happen just as fast as they do in the books. Unless they split it up into 3 books, then you could get the dinner scenes, mentats, and Duncan or Gurney playing the Baliset. But that's basically all that is missing from the first half the book. I thought character development was great.

Sure, split it into 3 movies. Or drop some of the dream Chani scenes. Literally 15 more minutes to flesh out the Yeuh betrayal, mentats, and political machinations would have accomplished what I was looking for.

Oh well, I'm outnumbered obviously, at least amomg the TA fans. Its still a beautiful looking movie and decent enough.

I'd also add a couple minutes to Dr Kynes and her transition to sympathizer. Wasn't really understood during the movie
She's Fremen, her husband is fremen, and she doesn't want the Harkanin to return like all the other fremen. I thought this was really clear.

That's all very clear. But the book invests in developing (his) character of one of initial mistrust and psuedo Harkonnen sympathiser before become an Atriedes sympathiser after the connection with the Freman. This was really highlighted during the dinner scene which didn't make the movie.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

She's dead though.

Yes, but there is a lot more to the Fremen than what we have seen so far. Once you learn what they are about, what she her motivations were will become more evident. Although the main point is that she couldn't publicly help the Atreides, because the Emperor wanted them dead, and she was appointed by him. Just like Leto couldn't say no to accepting Arrakis, she couldn't say no to the assassination and sabotage attempts.
TCTTS
AG
But it's highlighted in other ways in the movie.
StinkyPinky
AG
TCTTS said:

But it's highlighted in other ways in the movie.

True, not right or wrong. I'm just commenting on that there was additional emphasis in the book that I thought would be interesting to take on more weight in the movie. Again, just a personal preference. I didn't find fault with how the movie covered it. It was enough to support the storyline.
YouBet
AG
Finally saw it today and it was just amazing.

Chalamat was awesome so I'm eating a little crow on that. I thought the casting was great overall although Bardiem just doesn't do it for me as Stilgar. Is Rebecca Ferguson sisters with Gwyneth Paltrow? They are twins! I did think they showed Jessica crying a bit too much in this movie. Her perception of Paul was more going from worried for him to being scared sh^tless of him in the book. We really didn't get the latter although I suspect we will in Part 2.

Score was awesome although it did overpower some of the lines at times.

Chalk me up as another one who would have loved to have seen the dinner. I'm doing my re-read right now and I had zero recollection of that until I started reading Dune again. It's a brilliant and subtle political foundation for Arrakis, but as someone else said DV was already pushing it with a lot of talking and not much action.
YouBet
AG
Side note: did not get to hear the first half of our previews because the sound wasnt on. When I returned after informing theater personnel, I walked in on a japanimation cartoon showing some dude crawling out of a dogs butthole as the dog farted.

That was really odd. I forgot to ask my wife what she thought about that.
Quad Dog
AG
Before this thread drops off the front page. If it too early to speculate/hope for the casting of Princess Irulian, The Emperor, and Feyd?

I keep thinking Idris Elba for the Emperor.
I think you'd need someone just crazy handsome for Feyd like Zac Effron.
I'm struggling to think of a young commanding woman to be the daughter of Idris Elba, maybe Lupita Nyong'o.
Ol Jock 99
AG
All the Harks being super pale and bald is going to make Feyd a challenge looks wise.
Faustus

Jake's done bald before, but he's too old.

Pitt could have pulled it off back in the day.

SpreadsheetAg
AG
I could see:

Ezra Miller

Lucas Hedges

Or if you wanted to steer into instantly hateable and everyone would enjoy watching him die again due to his typecast on GoT: Jack Gleeson
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
As someone who knows absolutely nothing about the character beyond the familial relations...

For Paul's sister?

The Dog Lord
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

As someone who knows absolutely nothing about the character beyond the familial relations...

For Paul's sister?

I could definitely see that
Ol Jock 99
AG
Paul's sister is a toddler in the 2nd half.

She might be a good Princess Irulan though.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Bill Skarsgrd

Wonder if he knows anyone connected to the movie....
The Dog Lord
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

I was thinking of her for the grown Alia in a potential Dune Messiah adaptation. I feel like they would have to expand Irulan's role to justify getting an actress like her for just Dune Part II (unless they are really wanting to do Dune Messiah as well).
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

That's who I meant actually. Shows what I know.
G Martin 87
AG
Jack Gleeson as Feyd-Rautha?? Yes, please!
Claude!
Ol Jock 99 said:

All the Harks being super pale and bald is going to make Feyd a challenge looks wise.
I don't think you have to make Feyd bald. Granted, that's the Harkonnen look, but Feyd isn't a normal Harkonnen - giving him a luxuriant mop of hair would set him off from the rest.
G Martin 87
AG
Tried to rewatch Dune 1984 a couple of times the past few days, and I just can't get through it now that I've seen Dune 2021. The original is groaner bad.
YouBet
AG
Finally hit me that Haynes King looks like Joffrey.
Mathguy64
AG
Except Harkonnen's are red heads.
Carlo4
AG
Just CGI 1984 Sting into 2023's sequel.

Problem solved.

MBAR
AG
If only hair color could be changed.
Sea Speed
AG
MBAR said:

Alas, a problem that has plagued all of mankind for millenia
Ol Jock 99
AG
MBAR said:

Hair color?

YouBet
AG
Feyd has black curlyish hair in the book.
Ol Jock 99
AG
I do think Bill Skarsgrd could work really well. He's young enough, good looking enough, is in great shape, can do creepy really well. And his real life dad being the Baron is fun.

Plus he has an excellent first name.
cone
AG
saw it today A++

only problem was Kynes. Liet is a much bigger deal in the book, critical to the lore, and was used here as a plot device. that was disappointing.

everything else delivered.
wangus12
AG
File5 said:

Don't worry, you're not alone in being outnumbered! I'm actually happy to see that many folks not familiar with the universe did not see any plot issues. Increases chances of a sequel!

I also think 15 minutes more on the Yueh treason would have been great, and WHY it was such a major stab in the back due to his conditioning and their absolute trust in him. The movie made it seem like the guy who provides the pills also controls the shields randomly lol. Also wished I had seen what happened to Thufir in Harkonnen control and that Feyd had existed to be an opponent similar in age to Paul.

You know the sequel has already been given the green light right. You don't have to worry about increasing the chances
PatAg
AG
Someone suggested this guy in an article, Eamon Farren, played one of the bad guy leader types in The Witcher. Apparently plays a good creep in Twin Peaks reboot, but I havent watched that.

schmendeler
AG
How about the guy that played Ramsay Bolton?
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Was Feyd bald in the book?
powerbelly
AG
Arrakis ecologist said:

Was Feyd bald in the book?
No
Duncan Idaho
schmendeler said:

How about the guy that played Ramsay Bolton?

He isn't charismatic enough.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.