Dune [Spoiler Thread]

58,271 Views | 817 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Rocagnante
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That said, I get what Villeneuve is saying. Basically, if a scene didn't feature Paul, or didn't feature other characters talking *about* Paul/the one, it got cut. So it'd be tough to convince Villeneuve to put anything back into the movie that didn't directly contribute to Paul's specific story.
MBAR
AG
PatAg said:

I don't know what it is, but at some point in the last couple of years I stopped liking what the Ringer had to say about movies and shows.
I'm sure it's just specific people, and not all of them.

I have frankly come to hate the things Amanda Dobbins says on the big picture about many of the movies I love. Dune included. I don't understand why she's on that show.
TCTTS
AG
Dobbins is the absolute worse. She complains about EVERYTHING. Even having to see certain movies, which is literally her job.

That said, their new hire, Joanna Robinson, is nails. She's a really good match with Mallory Rubin on the pod I linked to, and then is great on the new Succession pod with Fennessey.

Love Chris Ryan too. He's probably my favorite of the bunch, next to Fennessey.
wangus12
AG
TCTTS said:

That said, I get what Villeneuve is saying. Basically, if a scene didn't feature Paul, or didn't feature other characters talking *about* Paul/the one, it got cut. So it'd be tough to convince Villeneuve to put anything back into the movie that didn't directly contribute to Paul's specific story.
Back in the olden days of physical media, they used to have these features on DVDs called Deleted Scenes. They should release these extra scenes that were cut via this feature.
PatAg
AG
Dessert Power above a picture of a cheesecake.
Max Power
AG
TCTTS said:

Dobbins is the absolute worse. She complains about EVERYTHING. Even having to see certain movies, which is literally her job.

That said, their new hire, Joanna Robinson, is nails. She's a really good match with Mallory Rubin on the pod I linked to, and then is great on the new Succession pod with Fennessey.

Love Chris Ryan too. He's probably my favorite of the bunch, next to Fennessey.
Dobbins is terrible. She also seems to make a point on most podcasts about new movies of making sure the everyone knows how unsafe she feels about going to the movies. Someone over there needs to tell her to stop trying to deliver her own person PSA's regarding COVID and personal safety. She can still do her job while not talking about COVID, none of us have forgotten that it still exists. I listen in to hear people talk about movies, because they're something I love, and if she's so scared she should stick to some other medium.

I love The Ringer movie drafts, Ryan and Fennessey are really fun, and in comes wet blanket Dobbins to ruin the interplay.

Ryan is probably my favorite of all The Ringer hosts because he's like a big kid, you know when he's really excited about things. Fennesey is my number two.

I also really like Rubin, but I miss the combination of her and Jason Concepcion. Their podcasts for game of thrones, Harry Potter, and Star Wars we're so good. What happened to him?

I can't stand Andy Greenwald. He just makes me want to punch his voice.

Shea Serrano is great when doing The Rewatchables.
G Martin 87
AG
PatAg said:

National Lampoon published a parody of Dune about Pall's adventures on Doon, the Dessert Planet.
Quote:

Pall Agamemnides, heir to a dukedom, struggles to stop a conspiracy that threatens the savage, sugar-swept world of Doon, as evil powers plot to steal the wild beer growing on Doon, to control the native pretzel population, and transform Doon into a lounge-planet.
It's pretty terrible. (Skip Doon and read National Lampoon's Bored of the Rings if you're looking for a good parody.)
Decay
AG
Honestly I think a lot of people shared my experience: I immediately wanted more when the movie ended. Making it 30-45 minutes longer would basically fill that baliset-shaped hole in my heart
h1ag
AG
I just wanted a single Gurney song.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
PatAg said:

Texas Dirt for the Win

Definitely Not A Cop
AG
From a military standpoint, the Duke is right, although I always thought the term was lame as well. You can't use standard ground forces on the planet due to the worms and the fact that shields are worthless in the desert. So new tactics would need to be used, with air support adjusting as well.

The Duke just needs a think tank to brainstorm better names for the concept.
Duncan Idaho
TCTTS said:

Well damn it, I had no idea how badly I wanted to hear JB cover "Plastic Jesus"
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Decay said:

Honestly I think a lot of people shared my experience: I immediately wanted more when the movie ended. Making it 30-45 minutes longer would basically fill that baliset-shaped hole in my heart

Mine was pug shaped
Quad Dog
AG
Decay said:

2. I do like how silly DESERT POWER is. It's such a terrible tactical approach (air power will literally work on every planet and space power even moreso) but frankly it's just such a lame thing to say. And they say it during these absolute climax moments. It's so bad it's good, in a movie that is 95% really really good. "SON I COULD NEVER BE DISAPPOINTED IN YOU. DESERT POWER"
Air power doesn't work on Arrakis due to the Coriolis storms, sand ruining any equipment quickly, and problems with navigation due to magnetic fields.
AliasMan02
AG
Desert Power is really about harnessing the might of the Fremen, the most hardened killers in the galaxy.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Quad Dog said:

Decay said:

2. I do like how silly DESERT POWER is. It's such a terrible tactical approach (air power will literally work on every planet and space power even moreso) but frankly it's just such a lame thing to say. And they say it during these absolute climax moments. It's so bad it's good, in a movie that is 95% really really good. "SON I COULD NEVER BE DISAPPOINTED IN YOU. DESERT POWER"
Air power doesn't work on Arrakis due to the Coriolis storms, sand ruining any equipment quickly, and problems with navigation due to magnetic fields.

What Thufir and the Duke thought was desert power didn't really turn out to be what Paul did anyway. They had no idea about Shai-Hulud
Duncan Idaho
Pretty sure they were planning on capturing small worms and training them to deliver bombs strapped to their backs like dolphins and dog in WWII.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Pretty sure they were planning on capturing small worms and training them to deliver bombs strapped to their backs like dolphins and dog in WWII.

Duke could have lived if he had adapted his fighting style to desert power.

Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

You mean sand trout.
The Debt
Is this the new way of releasing films?

Have an edit with a central narrative, then years later release an edit fleshing out some of the key characters?

The central narrative cut is the mass appeal, the expanded is for the fanboys they are milking for cash anyway?
The Porkchop Express
Champ Bailey said:

From a military standpoint, the Duke is right, although I always thought the term was lame as well. You can't use standard ground forces on the planet due to the worms and the fact that shields are worthless in the desert. So new tactics would need to be used, with air support adjusting as well.

The Duke just needs a think tank to brainstorm better names for the concept.
It never goes well for Oscar Isaac in the desert.

Jakku

Pasaana

Cairo

Arrakis

Chipotlemonger
AG
The Debt said:

Have an edit with a central narrative, then years later release an edit fleshing out some of the key characters?

The central narrative cut is the mass appeal, the expanded is for the fanboys they are milking for cash anyway?
I mean isn't this what happened with LOTR anyways? I've actually never seen the extended stuff for LOTR.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
He does well with robots though.

Duncan Idaho
Literal lol
A is A
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

The Debt said:

I mean isn't this what happened with LOTR anyways? I've actually never seen the extended stuff for LOTR.
You are missing out. The box set came with SOOO much. from figure creation to how they did certain special effects. One the of the best box sets / extended release I've seen.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
No box set has even come close in terms of content.
Quad Dog
AG
I read a good theory in the comments of that link that the weird spider thing with the Barron was what Yueh's wife was turned into.
TCTTS
AG
Oh wow.
Mathguy64
AG
In the book she had been killed years earlier by the Harkonnen's and the implication was it was at the hands of the Beast and it was sexual (I think?).
Quad Dog
AG
Let me clarify that is just internet speculation from a random comment on that blog post. That isn't in the books.
Duncan Idaho
The spider thing is almost certainly a bene tleilax creation.
Quad Dog
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Takes one to know one.
G Martin 87
AG
Quad Dog said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Takes one to know one.
Gotcha there, Duncan. Which one are you?
Duncan Idaho
I'm one of the early models with the metallic eyes.
TCTTS
AG

Quote:

The announcement of Dune: Part Two also included a release date of October 20, 2023, and Villeneuve estimates that the earliest he could begin shooting would be in the fall of 2022.

"It's fantastic news, but it's also kind of a burden. The good news is that a lot of the work has been done already regarding design, casting, locations and writing," Villeneuve shares. "So we're not starting from scratch. It's not a long period of time, but I will try to face that challenge because it's important for me that the audience sees Part Two as soon as possible. It's not a sequel where it's another episode or another story with the same characters. It actually has direct continuity to the first movie. It's the second part of the big huge movie that I'm trying to do. So the sooner the better."

Villeneuve has also set his sights on a third Dune film based on Herbert's Dune Messiah (1969).

"If things go well with Part Two, I could foresee the idea of maybe doing a third movie, Dune Messiah. That would make sense to me," Villeneuve says when asked about his career plan. "After that, I think that I will make some other movies; let's call them big movies regarding their ambition and scope. And later on, when I'm too tired to do that, I will go back to some smaller projects. But for now, I have the energy to do this."

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.