Dune [Spoiler Thread]

59,292 Views | 817 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Rocagnante
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Champ Bailey said:

I would say, without revealing too much, there is a revelation at the end of the movie that most people who haven't read the books might not have fully understood. You could definitely say that's on DV for not explaining better, but I think once you see the full story, you will come back to that last act and scene and find it more impactful.

But again, people shouldn't be expected to "come back to that last act" after ANOTHER movie to find the end of the first movie more impactful. I didn't have to see the The Two Towers to find the end of The Fellowship of the Ring impactful on first viewing. No matter how much something is a part of a greater whole, the parts should absolutely still be able to stand on their own. I'm not saying Dune: Part One ultimately doesn't, I'm just saying that in the moment people might feel cheated.
TCTTS
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

Is it worse than the fade to black at the end of No Country for Old Men?

Not quite. I saw that movie with my parents and my aunt, and my aunt literally cussed loudly in the theater when that happened. They were all sooooo pissed.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Loved the movie, but this ending is the equivalent of if Avatar ended right after Jake goes through the ceremony of becoming a full-fledged Na'vi.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Loved the movie, but this ending is the equivalent of Avatar ending right after Jake goes through the ceremony if becoming a full-fledged Na'vi.

Exactly what I said/was referring to in my post last night.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
TCTTS said:

Champ Bailey said:

I would say, without revealing too much, there is a revelation at the end of the movie that most people who haven't read the books might not have fully understood. You could definitely say that's on DV for not explaining better, but I think once you see the full story, you will come back to that last act and scene and find it more impactful.

But again, people shouldn't be expected to "come back to that last act" after ANOTHER movie to find the end of the first movie more impactful. I didn't have to see the The Two Towers to find the end of The Fellowship of the Ring impactful on first viewing. No matter how much something is a part of a greater whole, the parts should absolutely still be able to stand on their own. I'm not saying Dune: Part One ultimately doesn't, I'm just saying that in the moment people might feel cheated.

Yeah I don't disagree with you really, it kind of reminds me of what they did at the end of the second Pirates of the Caribbean. My dad was pissed that they left it on a cliffhanger like that, and I'm sure he will be pissed off they did the same thing with this movie. But I think Villenueve does a better job with the ending than that movie, although he did it subtly. He basically skipped giving us Star Wars, and gave us Empire Strikes Back as the first installment.

I'll put it in Spoiler tags below if you are interested, it's al insight from scenes in the actual movie, although I do have the context of the ending from reading the book.

The first thing is that Paul's visions of the future, as shown in the movie by seeing himself die at Jamis's and Chani's hands, aren't necessarily the future, just different possibilities of the future based on the most minuscule decisions made by him and others. There is still relative free will, although it's easier for Paul since he can glimpse the outcomes of these decisions using the spice.

He repeatedly saw the vision of the knife on the ground, showing this is a major decision for his life. If he picks it up, the future that he sees when he's in the tent with his mom has the possibility of it coming true, with billions suffering and dying at his hands. If the Fremen kills him, then obviously that future can not come to pass. So him picking up the knife and killing Jamie shows he chose to take a step towards becoming the Kwisatz Haderac, as the Bene Gesserit call him, or the Mahdi as the Fremen call him, and starting the galactic Jihad he saw in his visions.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Also, "the voice" is just straight up a Jedi mind trick, right?

(And yes, I know, Dune came first.)
Thomas Ford 91
AG
1. Saw it yesterday at 6 pm in an theatre that was 80% empty. Loved every second of it.

2. Tried to watch again on my phone last night. Not so great and hard to follow on a 12 pro max.

3. Jessica is a bit more of an emotional basket-case than I would have expected from a Bene Gesserit. If crying wins an Oscar, she's a lock.

4. Right before we fade to black, Jessica gives us a super-serious look generally reserved for characters with secret evil plans. Did anybody else get that feeling?

5. I thought it was cool that they changed minor events in the book, seemingly just to mix it up. For example, the situation with the carryall when the worm comes.

6. What's the deal with the "Dreams are messages from the deep" quote in a weird language at the start? Don't recall that in the book.
TCTTS
AG
I was completely apparent to me that, in that moment, Paul was "resisting a certain path" in a way, by doing the opposite of what his dream showed him (Paul dying at the hands of Jamis), which I really, really liked it. That was definitely a cool moment. But, man, everything else you mentioned was completely lost on me. Now I really need to watch it again, because I remember zero allusions to potentially "billions suffering" or anything like that, should Paul pick up the blade.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
The first is the scene when he's in the tent with Jessica and has the spice in the air, but I they show that image of bodies stacked and burning several times.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Also, "the voice" is just straight up a Jedi mind trick, right?

(And yes, I know, Dune came first.)

I hate to say it, but I thought it was so much cooler here. The first time Paul truly spoke in the voice, at the breakfast table with his mother, made the hair on my arms stand up. It was so creepy and disorienting, and the sound design so well executed, that it really made an impression on me, and felt so much more forceful.
TCTTS
AG
Champ Bailey said:

It is the scene when he's in the tent with Jessica and has the spice in the air.

Ok, thanks. I do remember that scene, but admittedly needed captions for some of the movie, so I'll turn them on this next go-around.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Oh, I enjoyed it as well. Sounded great coming through IMAX speakers.

But my mind went to Star Wars immediately in the later scene.
PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

Champ Bailey said:

It is the scene when he's in the tent with Jessica and has the spice in the air.

Ok, thanks. I do remember that scene, but admittedly needed captions for some of the movie, so I'll turn them on this next go-around.
Yea, he did a pretty good job of representing the visions on screen and providing exposition for internal monologue (which is always challenging)

In the knife fight, for instance, there were 3-4 lines that were just said almost conversationally, that should have added a LOT more weight to the scene for the viewer.
PatAg
AG
Also, I didn't really picture Duncan Idaho talking or looking like Jason Mamoa, but damn if he wasnt awesome in his action scenes.
javajaws
AG
I thought the score and audio effects were for the most part excellent to outstanding. The only small nit I had was that for some of these scenes that were either epic in scale or otherwise "otherworldly" I would have expected more low frequency effects. There were some..but not quite the magnitude I would have expected / hoped for. I'm talking house shaking feel it in your bones type LFE.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
javajaws
AG
PatAg said:

Also, I didn't really picture Duncan Idaho talking or looking like Jason Mamoa, but damn if he wasnt awesome in his action scenes.
And didn't he crack like the only joke in the whole movie?
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
Decay
AG
javajaws said:

I thought the score and audio effects were for the most part excellent to outstanding. The only small nit I had was that for some of these scenes that were either epic in scale or otherwise "otherworldly" I would have expected more low frequency effects. There were some..but not quite the magnitude I would have expected / hoped for. I'm talking house shaking feel it in your bones type LFE.

The soundtrack is full of them but I agree. We just did Tenet which I was worried would blow the theater apart. I wanted a little more of the oomph.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
I saw this on an XD screen with a great sound system, and in one of the scenes with the dragonfly vehicle coming in for a landing.....my seat quite visibly shook. It was amazing. And this wasn't even a D-Box theater!
GiveEmHellBill
AG
My only nitpick of the movie as a non-book reader (and I still loved the movie):

I don't think there was proper motivations given as to why the Emperor wanted to risk the disruption in spice production just to wipe out House Atreides. And just who the Emperor was and why he needed to do this in such back channels was pretty vague for me.

I'd at least like to see what this Supreme Leader looks like.....
TCTTS
AG
There was one quick line, by which character I can't remember, about the Emperor feeling threatened by House Atreides or something. I guess threatened by either their growing power or popularity? I would have liked a bit more of that as well, but I also kind of like the A New Hope vibe of it all, where they hopefully save the Emperor for the sequel.
AliasMan02
AG
One of the real high points of the movie was Paul's absolute terror at the thought/visions of the jihad. His reaction was so raw. Loved it.

One thing I'm going to watch for more of when I watch at home tonight are his visions of alternative paths. The ones featuring Chani or Paul's death are obvious but there were others as well. I immediately recall one where Duncan survives and is with Stilgar, and one where Paul and Jamis are friends.
AliasMan02
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

My only nitpick of the movie as a non-book reader (and I still loved the movie):

I don't think there was proper motivations given as to why the Emperor wanted to risk the disruption in spice production just to wipe out House Atreides. And just who the Emperor was and why he needed to do this in such back channels was pretty vague for me.

I'd at least like to see what this Supreme Leader looks like.....

The Baron mentioned once that the purpose was to weaken both House Harkonnen and Atreides. Paul and maybe Kynes talked about House Atreides being a rising star the other houses would stand behind.

Showing Shaddam or not had to be one of the big choices made early. If you show him, it makes the politics much clearer like in the 80s film. But it also somewhat diminishes the Baron as the antagonist. I think the same type of decision was likely made early about Feyd.
TCTTS
AG
That interesting, your interpretation of Duncan with Stilgar being an alternate vision of the future. Because I took that as Paul simply being able to see the past, when Duncan infiltrated the freeman, and was with Stilgar, before the rest of House Atreides arrived. I have no idea which is one right, but I never considered it to be an alternate vision, and I guess it might very well be.
Bunbury
AG
I'm also interested for the explanation about the opening Dreams quote. It even came before the studio cards. I believe the language was the saluda secundas / sardaukar language.
TCTTS
AG
I don't think I've ever heard dialogue *before* the studio logos. That was an interesting choice.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Can I also use this thread to say that Blade Runner 2049 is one of the best pieces of science fiction of this century?

Because it is.
AliasMan02
AG
As often as I've read the book I can't recall specifically, but I believe there is a one liner in there about Paul seeing Idaho's survival as one possibility.

This is one of the things that makes me wish this was one long 5 hour movie. DV did a pretty good job partitioning things, but the visions of the future is something emphasized in Part One that REALLY doesn't pay off until Part Two. Would be GREAT to be able to watch it all through.

It's like I'm sure a lot of people are wondering WTH is up with that stupid mouse that keeps showing up but is never referenced or given any import in the slightest.
TCTTS
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

Can I also use this thread to say that Blade Runner 2049 is one of the best pieces of science fiction of this century?

Because it is.

Right there with you.
TCTTS
AG
AliasMan02 said:

As often as I've read the book I can't recall specifically, but I believe there is a one liner in there about Paul seeing Idaho's survival as one possibility.

This is one of the things that makes me wish this was one long 5 hour movie. DV did a pretty good job partitioning things, but the visions of the future is something emphasized in Part One that REALLY doesn't pay off until Part Two. Would be GREAT to be able to watch it all through.

It's like I'm sure a lot of people are wondering WTH is up with that stupid mouse that keeps showing up but is never referenced or given any import in the slightest.

Ha, I took the mouse to be nothing more than a literal analogy. Over a shot of the mouse, Chani says something to the effect of (and this is completely butchering it), if a mouse can survive in the desert, so can we/you. You're telling me that mouse has an actual part to play in the plot going forward?
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

Because it is.
Interstellar, Dune, and Blade Runner 2049. Best serious sci-fi this century.
TCTTS
AG
Along with Arrival, IMO, yet another Villeneuve entry.
Quad Dog
AG
Not in the plot, but in the book lore.
HalifaxAg
AG
I do wish they had developed the Mentats better; the exchanges between Piter & Baron in the book were some of my favorite parts.

no juice of saffoon!
Duncan Idaho
Baron Von Flag Smasher said:

Everyone in this movie eventually dies in one of the books. Only one keeps coming back and back and back....
well don't leave us waiting! Who is it?
PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

That interesting, your interpretation of Duncan with Stilgar being an alternate vision of the future. Because I took that as Paul simply being able to see the past, when Duncan infiltrated the freeman, and was with Stilgar, before the rest of House Atreides arrived. I have no idea which is one right, but I never considered it to be an alternate vision, and I guess it might very well be.
He had that vision before Duncan left right? THen in the desert, he recognized the location. That's how I took it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.