Dune [Spoiler Thread]

59,379 Views | 817 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Rocagnante
Cinco Ranch Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

"No way this is where they end it."
In the theater I saw it at, apparently there were some guys who had the same thought, especially when one of them hollered out, WHAT THE F***? I don't recall any humor in the movie itself, but that for me was the most amusing thing I heard all day yesterday. It was as if they didn't pay attention to the two little words that appeared before the title, PART ONE.
PatAg
AG
Not going to get into any part of how they handled the story in detail ( I thought it was great).

That's the first movie in a while where I am seeing ships/vehicles that truly impressed me with their uniqueness. And how they put it on film.

Beautifully shot altogether.
PatAg
AG
I would just say that I think anyone writing that it ended prematurely is wrong.
I'm sure they have their reasons for thinking that, but they lack knowledge.

I know its a spoiler thread, but I think we still want to avoid posting book spoilers, right?
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

ships/vehicles that truly impressed me with their uniqueness
Had the same thought.

But upon thinking about it, Dune had some ship design that was essentially a ball. There have been a couple of such ships in previous movies - the little white ball where Drax saw the "one-inch" man riding in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, and those Trade Federation battleships had some kind of ball attached to them in Star Wars (Ep. I and II).

The 'thopters were awesome. Helicopter-like, but also reminding me of a dragonfly. There was a ship design in Star Wars Ep. III that featured similar propulsion technology. And sticking with Star Wars, I had a vibe of the TIE Bomber seen in Ep. V when watching those Harkonnen twin-pod fighter/bomber ships that flew low over the city during the attack.

I don't point this out to slam your point, in fact I agree with it. Dune was a visual spectacle with a design that is unrivaled for a true science fiction film (which Star Wars and Guardians are not IMO).
TCTTS
AG
But you can't deny that it was an incredibly untraditional third act climax for a blockbuster. Especially considering everything that came before (the scale, action, effects, etc). Whatever happens in the book should be irrelevant to the argument as it pertains to non-book-reader's reaction to the movie. Again, I'm not saying it was bad at all. I just totally expected Paul to join the Fremen and fight alongside them in a big, climactic battle, after proving himself worthy. Basically, the Avatar structure, where Jake proves himself by riding the main dragon thing, then joins the Na'vi in a third-act showdown. The entire movie felt like it was leading to its own showdown of that sort, but ended just *before* that moment.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
I think it will be hard to judge this movie as a stand alone. Denis clearly is trying to be as true to the book as possible, and this exactly where I envisioned them ending part 1. I would just consider this episode 1 of a two part mini-series. Just treat this the way you would a television series. With that in mind, I don't really care where they ended it, the story is not over.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TCTTS
AG
Right. I get all of that. But none of it changes the gut reaction non-book-readers are having/will have, in the moment, while watching the movie. It being part of a broader story or whatever doesn't excuse it from not having a traditional third act climax. Nearly every movie that's the first of a franchise manages to have a traditional third act climax, so that's what's going to be expected here as well.

Again, I'm not saying what they went with is bad or wrong. Far from it. All I'm saying is, because it's untraditional, certain audience members are going to have a negative reaction to its untraditional nature, whether or not the filmmakers chose the "right" place to stop in the books.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
TCTTS said:

It being part of a broader story or whatever doesn't excuse it from not having a traditional third act climax. .

I mean…it kinda does. The alternative is to change the story entirely to appease how people traditionally believe movies should be made. It's literally called Dune Part 1. To assume this would follow the traditional flow of a Hollywood blockbuster is just kind of silly. It's like expecting individual episodes of a miniseries to have a traditional 3rd act.

The counter examples to this are Hunger Games, The Hobbit, Harry Potter, and Twilight. I think I'm fine with Villeneuve's decision. It was a great movie and have full confidence that the final product will be phenomenal.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
wangus12
AG
Eventual rewatch, I don't see how you can't be wanting to see that again in theaters
The Porkchop Express
PatAg said:

I would just say that I think anyone writing that it ended prematurely is wrong.
I'm sure they have their reasons for thinking that, but they lack knowledge.

I know its a spoiler thread, but I think we still want to avoid posting book spoilers, right?
So we need a non-spoiler thread, a spoiler thread for the movie, a spoiler thread for people who have seen the movie but haven't read the books, a spoiler thread for the movie and people who only read the first book, a non-spoiler thread for people who only read the first book, but haven't seen the movie, and a non-spoiler thread for people who have read all the books, but not seen the movie?

The movie's out now.
The book came out FIFTY-SIX YEARS AGO

Going to see the movie Sunday, and talking bout what comes next in the hopeful sequel when I get done.

javajaws
AG
Yeah, my only disappointment was that it wasn't 2.5 hrs longer.

Everybody in the room with me would have sat through 5 hours of that easily.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
Decay
AG
javajaws said:

Yeah, my only disappointment was that it wasn't 2.5 hrs longer.

Everybody in the room with me would have sat through 5 hours of that easily.
Agreed. Was great.
Bunbury
AG

Quote:

But you can't deny that it was an incredibly untraditional third act climax for a blockbuster. Especially considering everything that came before (the scale, action, effects, etc). Whatever happens in the book should be irrelevant to the argument as it pertains to non-book-reader's reaction to the movie. Again, I'm not saying it was bad at all. I just totally expected Paul to join the Fremen and fight alongside them in a big, climactic battle, after proving himself worthy. Basically, the Avatar structure, where Jake proves himself by riding the main dragon thing, then joins the Na'vi in a third-act showdown. The entire movie felt like it was leading to its own showdown of that sort, but ended just *before* that moment.

It felt very similar to Fellowship of the Ring, if you were familiar with the books it probably felt like a satisfying 'end' to that portion, but as a movie in general, yes it's not a traditional ending. There's probably a world where they could have made this a single 190 minute movie or so, but I think *if* they are able to get Part 2 made, doing 2-parts will be the best version of Dune possible when all is said and done.
Claude!
Bunbury said:

Quote:

It felt very similar to Fellowship of the Ring, if you were familiar with the books it probably felt like a satisfying 'end' to that portion, but as a movie in general, yes it's not a traditional ending. There's probably a world where they could have made this a single 190 minute movie or so, but I think *if* they are able to get Part 2 made, doing 2-parts will be the best version of Dune possible when all is said and done.
Not quite. The best version of Dune possible is a novel published in 1963.
Faustus
Dune has made $130 million world wide so far. That seems like a pretty good start, with China and the U.S. opening this weekend.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/title/tt1160419/
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Everyone in this movie eventually dies in one of the books. Only one keeps coming back and back and back....
Faustus
The sandworms?
The Porkchop Express
Faustus said:

The sandworms?
Palpatine
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Faustus said:

The sandworms?

They were relocated because of global cooling
PDWT_12
AG
Nothing much to add. Loved this movie and was not disappointed, but honestly there was no way I was going to dislike this movie.

Still, the size and scope is staggering and amazing. I found myself not realizing this had to come from DV (and other crew's) imagination because it all just felt so real and normal. Too big to have been invented. It's visually stunning.

Zimmer's score is as good as he's ever done, just offhand without having had the time to re-listen to much of it. It's just so different from anything he's ever done, fixing to listen to it the rest of the day.

Loved every version of these characters, from Isaacs to Mamoa to Ferguson and Bardem, even in their limited roles.

In my opinion it's about as good as an adaptation as you can do. There was a lot left out, or stuff that will hopefully show up in Part 2. Stuff like Paul giving his water for Jamis, a little more about Mentats and their role, etc. Part 2 is going to be absolutely jam packed and insane.

My theater audibly gasped when the credits rolled. You could tell most had lost track of time and had no idea this thing was going to end when it did. My wife was furious, I did not properly warn her.

Also the guy next to me must have been higher than a giraffes ass. Anytime something awesome happened, he would just burst out laughing. Not like he thought it was funny, but like it blew his mind so much he didn't know how to properly react.

Anyway, I loved it and this will probably be a rare rewatch in theaters for me (Thanks A-List).
The Porkchop Express
Baron Von Flag Smasher said:

Faustus said:

The sandworms?

They were relocated because of global cooling
Phew, you know you're a Dune nerd when you LOL at that, which I did.
All I do is Nguyen
TCTTS said:

So I think what the director wanted was to show two parts of Paul's life. The Atreides and Fremen parts. This movie was the Atreides part and next will be the Fremen. At least thats what I gathered by how the movie ended.
The Porkchop Express
PDWT_12 said:

Also the guy next to me must have been higher than a giraffes ass. Anytime something awesome happened, he would just burst out laughing. Not like he thought it was funny, but like it blew his mind so much he didn't know how to properly react.

Anyway, I loved it and this will probably be a rare rewatch in theaters for me (Thanks A-List).

I sat next to a guy at Xmen 2 years ago who was reeking of weed and when Wolverine goes crazy defending the mansion he started screaming bloody murder "GET OUT OF THERE! HE'S INSANE!"
DVC2010
AG
I would have liked to see Leto developed a little more. His betrayal and murder may have been the most upset a book ever made me (and I knew it was coming!), and the movie didn't compare on an emotional level.

I also sort of wish they had saved the worm riders. I guess that image kind of stands in for the climax, but after they teased it twice, I expected a more dramatic reveal.

And those are really small complaints. I loved every minute.
AliasMan02
AG
Maybe the most faithful and devoted adaptation ever and I loved it, but make no mistake. This is HALF a movie. It's going to leave a lot of people wanting.
PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

I think you are probably including everything you saw in trailers and marketing for the movie when you talk about the expectations for the third act.

If you were going strictly off of only what you saw in the movie, I don't believe there would have been any reason to expect him to join them and participate in a large battle like that.
He doesn't even have that vision of himself, with the blue spice eyes, fighting alongside fremen until near the very end of the movie, right?

I'm not dismissing your point, I just think from strictly going off of what happens in the movie it's not accurate. It definitely ends on a cliffhanger of sorts, but it is also after a pretty major resolution.

Disclaimer: obviously these are just opinions, not starting an argument.
PatAg
AG
How they presented the missiles/war heads slowly penetrating the ships shields on the ground and then doing the explosion was pretty mind-blowing.
AliasMan02
AG
Part of me wanted them to insert a big action sequence to put a bow on Part One, but at the same time I was very afraid they would.
PatAg
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Part of me wanted them to insert a big action sequence to put a bow on Part One, but at the same time I was very afraid they would.

That's actually a really good summation of what I was thinking while I was watching it
Decay
AG
PatAg said:

How they presented the missiles/war heads slowly penetrating the ships shields on the ground and then doing the explosion was pretty mind-blowing.

I'll clarify: it was ****ing sick. The large action scenes were a cornucopia of goodness.
FtWorthHorn
PatAg said:

I thought all of that was pretty cool. The blue/red distinction on the shields was really smart, it made the action during later fight scenes immediately comprehensible.
BudFox7
The betrayal of Leto was very underdeveloped and didn't land emotionally whatsoever. That and the limited time they spent on Gurney (though probably later remedied), were my only complaints.

It was awesome and the ending was at an appropriate inflection point, though I could have gone on watching for another 2-3 hours.
TCTTS
AG
PatAg said:

TCTTS said:

I think you are probably including everything you saw in trailers and marketing for the movie when you talk about the expectations for the third act.

If you were going strictly off of only what you saw in the movie, I don't believe there would have been any reason to expect him to join them and participate in a large battle like that.
He doesn't even have that vision of himself, with the blue spice eyes, fighting alongside fremen until near the very end of the movie, right?

I'm not dismissing your point, I just think from strictly going off of what happens in the movie it's not accurate. It definitely ends on a cliffhanger of sorts, but it is also after a pretty major resolution.

For me, it was a combination of expectations created by the marketing AND the exceptions that nearly every other "part one" of a franchise set prior. Each of these first franchise movies featured "traditional," relatively large-scale, third act climaxes...

- Batman Begins
- The Fellowship of the Ring
- The Hunger Games
- The Matrix
- Pirates of the Carribbean
- Raiders of the Lost Ark
- Rise of the Planet of the Apes
- Spider-Man (2002)
- Star Trek (2009)
- Star Wars: A New Hope

... plus a many, many more, i.e. almost every relevant first franchise movie in existence. And whether those were planned franchised from the jump is irrelevant to the average movie goer. Because I'm talking about the expectations of the average movie goer who isn't aware of what was planned as a franchise from the beginning or not, what franchise movies shot back-to-back, all at once, etc.

Again, I'm not saying what Villeneuve chose to do in this instance was bad or wrong. He made the right decision, considering the story he had to work with. I'm not critiquing the movie itself, or even the third act. I was merely pushing back on these two sentences from an earlier post of yours...

Quote:

I would just say that I think anyone writing that it ended prematurely is wrong. I'm sure they have their reasons for thinking that, but they lack knowledge.

My point is that people expecting a traditional third act aren't "wrong," even if this is part one of a bigger story, if only due to a long precedent of traditional third acts in franchise firsts. In other words, it's perfectly valid for anyone going into this to be somewhat let down by a brief knife fight in a canyon, witnessed by only a dozen characters or so, as the third act climax to a movie that, up until that point, featured some of the biggest sets, scale, scope, and action of any blockbuster we've ever seen.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I would say, without revealing too much, there is a revelation at the end of the movie that people who haven't read the book might not have fully understood. You could definitely say that's on DV for not explaining better, but I think once you see the full story, you will come back to that last act and scene and find it more impactful.
The Porkchop Express
Is it worse than the fade to black at the end of No Country for Old Men?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.