Dune [Spoiler Thread]

59,296 Views | 817 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Rocagnante
Duncan Idaho
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I felt the actress portrayed how shocked she was by his performance and that she was certainly set back by it.
Max Power
AG
Champ Bailey said:

OverSeas AG said:

powerbelly said:

Quote:

POISON NEEDLE

Yes she did. But then she took it away. I was also being a bit of a smart ass, and just making the point, this ***** of a lady comes and tortures him for no good reason, and he is kind of like "oh, ok." Didnt really do much as a scene for me.
The Bene Gesserit aren't just feeble old nuns.

Also, there are societal and political reasons for his actions.
as i said in my OP: "- I would like to know more about Bene Gesserit. I am guessing there was a lot more to the hand pain scene than they showed in the film. It just didnt seem to add very much"

The BG define humanity basically the opposite as we do now. If you can rise above your emotions and feelings to be cold and caculating at all times, you are considered human. If you succumb to emotions, pain, etc. you are considered an animal by them. I'm pretty sure this is in the movie, but it might have been hard to hear.

So the box ratchets up more and more pain to see how much they can handle before cracking. Not sure about the movie, but in the book they make some kind of aside that the amount of time Paul lasted was incredible to the BG reverend mother.
The book goes into detail about how it starts cold but gets gradually hotter and painful beyond belief. IIRC she said no one had ever endured it as long as Paul had, I think she was scared of him afterward. The movie illustrated that he was in incredible pain, but not as much the effect on the Reverend Mother. She knew he was special, just not to what degree.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

I felt the actress portrayed how shocked she was by his performance and that she was certainly set back by it.
but to do this, I would have wanted to see another test on a girl and how much she endured, but that doesn't even happen in the book.

I would really like TCTTS take on this one as well.
G Martin 87
AG
Champ Bailey said:

OverSeas AG said:

powerbelly said:

Quote:

POISON NEEDLE

Yes she did. But then she took it away. I was also being a bit of a smart ass, and just making the point, this ***** of a lady comes and tortures him for no good reason, and he is kind of like "oh, ok." Didnt really do much as a scene for me.
The Bene Gesserit aren't just feeble old nuns.

Also, there are societal and political reasons for his actions.
as i said in my OP: "- I would like to know more about Bene Gesserit. I am guessing there was a lot more to the hand pain scene than they showed in the film. It just didnt seem to add very much"

The BG define humanity basically the opposite as we do now. If you can rise above your emotions and feelings to be cold and caculating at all times, you are considered human. If you succumb to emotions, pain, etc. you are considered an animal by them. I'm pretty sure this is in the movie, but it might have been hard to hear.

So the box ratchets up more and more pain to see how much they can handle before cracking. Not sure about the movie, but in the book they make some kind of aside that the amount of time Paul lasted was incredible to the BG reverend mother.
The Reverend Mother admits that she must have wanted Paul to fail the test by prolonging his agony past the point that all others had failed. (I believe this is in the book, but might have been added for the 1984 movie only. Going from memory on this point.) The more important plot point is WHY she wanted Paul to fail. That could be a minor spoiler because we don't know yet how this movie will explain the Kwisatz Haderach and his lineage. The BG instructed Jessica to bear a daughter, who was then supposed to be wed to Feyd Rautha Harkonnen to produce the Kwisatz Haderach. Jessica spoiled this plan by having a son instead for her love of Duke Leto. If Paul failed the test, the BG could conceivably have continued the breeding process another generation.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Not to beat a dead horse, but I'm reading through this thread and seeing all of this in-depth knowledge that's having to be shared by the book readers, and its just confirmation to me how much was left out of this movie.

I feel like the non-book readers loved it because yes it was a visual and atmospheric success. Almost like a state of ignorant bliss. They don't realize what they're missing out on.

Meanwhile most book readers loved it because we finally got a movie version that was visually and atmospherically spot on. As for the details, well, book readers were able to fill in those blanks themselves so they were more or less satisfied.

But for me, I wanted those details in the movie. To me, those details are what makes Dune so good. Again, I liked the movie for what it was. Visually stunning. But as a lover of the book I felt incomplete when I walked out of the movie, and not just because it only covered the 1st half of the book.

That's all I'll say. I'm sure I'll still rewatch it and watch the next one, too.
V8Aggie
AG
Read the book years ago but damn if those shields aren't the biggest pieces of *****
G Martin 87
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

Not to beat a dead horse, but I'm reading through this thread and seeing all of this in-depth knowledge that's having to be shared by the book readers, and its just confirmation to me how much was left out of this movie.

I feel like the non-book readers loved it because yes it was a visual and atmospheric success. Almost like a state of ignorant bliss. They don't realize what they're missing out on.

Meanwhile most book readers loved it because we finally got a movie version that was visually and atmospherically spot on. As for the details, well, book readers were able to fill in those blanks themselves so they were more or less satisfied.

But for me, I wanted those details in the movie. To me, those details are what makes Dune so good. Again, I liked the movie for what it was. Visually stunning. But as a lover of the book I felt incomplete when I walked out of the movie, and not just because it only covered the 1st half of the book.

That's all I'll say. I'm sure I'll still rewatch it and watch the next one, too.
I think it would have helped to have more exposition about the Kwisatz Haderach, why the BG were trying to produce him, and Jessica's lineage. It's a crucial piece of the context for the entire Dune series. I hope that Part 2 will explain it.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Of all things to meh...the score?

Bruh...........
It is one of the best aspects of this damn near perfect movie, but I still understand saying it is meh. Just listening to it, it is not something one is going to be humming while they are driving, and we certainly will never hear any Dune theme played by a band at a football game (such as with the Imperial March, for instance). As a stand-alone score, it is not really listenable (as opposed to Zimmer's other recent work on No Time To Die).

But in the movie, Zimmer's score works very well.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
G Martin 87 said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

I think it would have helped to have more exposition about the Kwisatz Haderach, why the BG were trying to produce him, and Jessica's lineage. It's a crucial piece of the context for the entire Dune series. I hope that Part 2 will explain it.
I do think the lineage, and what the BG are will be dealt with more in part 2. Especially when it comes to what Paul and Jessica do on Arrakis, as much as the Emperor dealing with the BG on what he is.
YNWA_AG
AG
wangus12
AG
YNWA_AG said:

Rocagnante
AG
YNWA_AG said:

**** YEAH!!!
AliasMan02
AG
Not before 2024, surely?
Bones08
AG
Deadline story I read said a theatrical window of October 2023.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
Yeah I think this was on everyones schedule to film winter/spring 2022, and they were just waiting for the final green light.
AliasMan02
AG
Bones08 said:

That would be incredible
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
YNWA_AG said:

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Not before 2024, surely?

Fear is the mind killer.
A is A
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Bones08 said:

That would be incredible
give a few extra months of love and make this a holiday feature.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
wangus12 said:

YNWA_AG said:

A is A
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

wangus12 said:

YNWA_AG said:

https://twitter.com/FourEyed_Rhea/status/1453060033562890240?t=2OPigcsHj3Ey3QmbLkRliA&s=19

Rocagnante
AG
Take the time to get it right! I can wait. I won't like it, but I can wait.

I'm just glad that now I don't have to worry about the idiots who don't go see this in a theater.
RadAg14
AG
Lmaooo
Apache
AG
Quote:

But for me, I wanted those details in the movie. To me, those details are what makes Dune so good.

Books can go into a level of detail that's extremely tough for movies to convey.
For example, as good & detailed as The Godfather was, read the book & it'll enlighten you as to the depth of the story that was left out.
Fslip01
Deuxne
FL_Ag1998
AG
Apache said:

Quote:

But for me, I wanted those details in the movie. To me, those details are what makes Dune so good.

Books can go into a level of detail that's extremely tough for movies to convey.
For example, as good & detailed as The Godfather was, read the book & it'll enlighten you as to the depth of the story that was left out.

Yeah, I get that, and I didn't expect every detail from the book to be there. But maybe splitting it up into 3 movies or a series on HBO would have given them room to show more of the political intrigue and world building that makes the book so good. Hell, there's some fantastic dialogue they could have lifted straight from the book that's sorely missed IMO.
PatAg
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

Apache said:

Quote:

Yeah, I get that, and I didn't expect every detail from the book to be there. But maybe splitting it up into 3 movies or a series on HBO would have given them room to show more of the political intrigue and world building that makes the book so good. Hell, there's some fantastic dialogue they could have lifted straight from the book that's sorely missed IMO.
Make it a tv series and it would not have looked as good as it does.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Settle an argument for me. Better beard between Oscar Isaac and Jason Momoa?

I say Isaac all the way.
powerbelly
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Settle an argument for me. Better beard between Oscar Isaac and Jason Momoa?

I say Isaac all the way.
Isaac no question, but Momoa looks strange without his beard.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Agreed.
toucan82
Saw it yesterday and I was a little confused about something: which one is Dune? Is it that Paul guy or one of the desert people?
Faustus
The band is just fantastic
That is really what I think
Oh by the way, which one's pink?
Chase McGuire
"Arrakis. Dune. Desert planet."

Dune is the planet itself.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
What if Metroid was a girl?
The Dog Lord
AG
Chase McGuire said:

"Arrakis. Dune. Desert planet."

Dune is the planet itself.
Joking aside, I was surprised by how often they referred to it is Arrakis as opposed to Dune. I know the Baron at one point called it "my Dune" but along with calling it "my Arrakis." I could have sworn that it was more commonly referred to as Dune in the first book.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.