2017 concerts

81,899 Views | 806 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by The Lost
Zombie Jon Snow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TP Ag '87 said:

BTW: did they start pretty much on time?

Yes....8:00 was showtime. Sting walked out there at 8:15. I was stunned expecting the normal opening act first.

I think many others were shocked too - I mean the seats were actually fairly full but as soon as he hit the stage the other 25% flooded in.

Show was over by about 10:35.

TP Ag '87
AG
Sounds great. Thanks again.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Seeing Sturgill in Austin on September 9th.

Missing the first home game for it. Before I get blasted by somebody for being a bad Aggie:

• I'm going to UCLA, so I plan on being broke
  • It's Nicholls State.
  • It's Got Damn Sturgill Simpson
ellebee
Jim01 said:

Might have to add this to my summer list.

Everclear - 06.24 House of Blues - Houston, TX

It's an album tour for the 20th anniversary of "So Much For The Afterglow" one of my all time albums.

WOAH WOAH WOAH!!
Echoes97
AG
Have tickets for:

• Sting 2/23 @ Smart FC
  • Experience Hendrix 3/11 @ Revention
  • Ian Moore 3/17 @ Rockefeller's
  • Doyle Bramhall II 4/20 @ Warehouse Live
  • Sleep 4/22 @ WOMH
  • Sarah Jarosz 4/23 @ Heights Theater
  • A Perfect Circle 4/27 @ Smart FC
  • Tom Petty 4/29 @ CWMP
  • All Them Witches 5/19 @ WOMH
  • U2 5/24 @ NRG
  • Zakk Sabbath 5/25 @ Warehouse Live
  • Iron Maiden 4/21 @ Toyota Center
  • Santana 7/3 @ Smart FC
  • Roger Waters 7/6 @ Toyota Center
  • Jason Isbell 7/18 @ Revention
  • Sturgill Simpson 9/7 @ Smart FC

Giddyup!
Us And Them - The Pink Floyd Experience
http://www.usandthemband.net
Sazerac
AG
Judah and the lion will also be at that show. I'd go for them and Jimmy. But outdoor in August? Fffffffffff that.
Al Bula
AG
Just snagged Soundgarden tickets in Houston @ Revention Music Center - Thursday May 25
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
TP Ag '87 said:

Sounds great. Thanks again.

So did you enjoy it?....kind of a different sort of show wasn't it?

ellebee
Got Everclear in new braunfels. Got one concert a month March-July except May. Need to fill that void.
TP Ag '87
AG
I actually didn't.

Don't get me wrong: Sting looked and sounded great but the entire show in the setting/audience of Smart Financial was just way too sterile (I think that's the best word) for me. I may be old in age but I just am not ready to sit on my hands at a "rock" (I'll take some leeway here even if it is Sting) concert and give it the golf clap at the end of a song. Felt more like a ballet/symphony setting.

Maybe it was just the people I was sitting around as I could see some folks up front were standing and having a good time. We were in Section 104 (good seats), maybe ~20-25 rows back. I shudder to think what would have happened if someone around us stood up to sing/dance. They would have been mocked and asked to sit down.

I think, in the end, it was the setting as I think the entire show, with his son and the SA band, + Sting's setlist, would have been a lot of fun at the Woodlands.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
TP Ag '87 said:

I actually didn't.

Don't get me wrong: Sting looked and sounded great but the entire show in the setting/audience of Smart Financial was just way too sterile (I think that's the best word) for me. I may be old in age but I just am not ready to sit on my hands at a "rock" (I'll take some leeway here even if it is Sting) concert and give it the golf clap at the end of a song. Felt more like a ballet/symphony setting.

Maybe it was just the people I was sitting around as I could see some folks up front were standing and having a good time. We were in Section 104 (good seats), maybe ~20-25 rows back. I shudder to think what would have happened if someone around us stood up to sing/dance. They would have been mocked and asked to sit down.

I think, in the end, it was the setting as I think the entire show, with his son and the SA band, + Sting's setlist, would have been a lot of fun at the Woodlands.
maybe so....

I will admit even my show in Dallas had more of a sit there and watch than most concerts. But they were all up on their feet and dancing, etc. for the last 1/3 or so and the encores.

Well thats unfortunate. I enjoyed it for sure, but wasn't enthralled either. Just a good show but definitely different.

TP Ag '87
AG
I'm REALLY glad my buddy paid and even MORE glad my wife ended up not going.

Just bored and disappointed overall, in spite of how much I appreciated what was actually transpiring on stage. Kinda weird juxtaposition.
ellebee
I really can't enjoy concerts if I'm sitting. It's just not the same. I hope the seats I got for two of my upcoming ones are close enough that people won't get irritated if I stand the whole time.
TP Ag '87
AG
100% agree and I hope so too for your sake!
cr0wbar
AG
TP Ag '87 said:

I actually didn't.

Man - I'm sorry to hear that. My wife and I were down in the pit and it was pretty damn amazing. I did notice looking back and seeing everyone sitting, and that had a bit of a weird feeling to it. I don't think this place has a real atmosphere to it yet, and I even read a few reviews were there was a lot of talking in the crowd. That would've pissed me off to no end.

As far as rock concerts go - if I'm going to Financial, I'm going to look into the pit. Sitting during that Bandoleros/Sting performance would've been torture. (Btw- Bandoleros are going to Houston HOB April 28th)

One cool story RE Bandoleros: We got into a conversation with the mom of Emelio (drummer) and Diego (bassist) in the pit. They are the sons of the late Tejano singer Emilio Navaira
TP Ag '87
AG
Talking at a concert! For shame! You guys weren't "talking" in the pit?

If I would have known this was a "No Talking" concert, I woulda (should have) stayed away. If I'm talking about crappy Aggie football, fine. But if I'm talking about the guitar playing or "that guy is really awesome, and clean playing," than I'm going to do that.

Again, it's NOT like am at the ballet and saying "wow, cool. Look at those tights!"
TP Ag '87
AG
Found this "review" on FB. Pretty much the sentiment/whining that I sensed during the show:

Julie Moore Brune It was a fun concert, despite the rude - singing LOUDLY, getting in and out of their seats CONSTANTLY and spilling their beer which ran under our feet.

Wonder what's the last concert Julie's attended?
62strat
AG
ellebee said:

I really can't enjoy concerts if I'm sitting. It's just not the same. I hope the seats I got for two of my upcoming ones are close enough that people won't get irritated if I stand the whole time.
I've only been to one concert, out of about 200 now, where I sat the entire time.
Ray Lamontagne at verizon wireless, maybe about 8 years ago?

It was awesome. But can't imagine sitting at any other show I'd ever go to. It was so quiet, like in between songs, you could hear the drummer count.. crazy.
cr0wbar
AG
lol - I'm sorry if I ruffled your feathers. Yes - we spoke in the pit, to the mother of those bandoleros guys!

I was meaning in the form of "HEY - I GOT MY NAILS DONE REAL GOOD TODAY" while Sting was talking or during one of his acoustic sets. If the performer is saying something, I'd like to hear them, that's all.
Echoes97
AG
Pretty much agree w/ TP Ag '87. Smart FC is a nice venue (sound was *excellent*), but people were very golf-clappy. I hated that, as I'm with you. We're at a damn rock show, not a museum. That said, I try and be courteous to people around me (I'm fairly tall so don't like to be that guy) and not stand up unless others in the section are as well.

I wanted to stand up and rock out though, was really frustrating to have to sit there like a mummy for all these great tunes. In fact when we got home I made my wife watch "YYZ" from Rush's "Live in Rio" DVD to illustrate how much greater international audiences are than here.

I was in 103 right in the middle, about 25 rows back also. Had a fairly old couple on the end of our row that were probably friends with Julie, they hated letting everyone in and out for drinks, etc.
Us And Them - The Pink Floyd Experience
http://www.usandthemband.net
TP Ag '87
AG
Echoes: you and me need to meet at a show some day,... \m/
TheDoctor
AG
What I have so far scheduled (all in Houston):

3/2/17: The Lumineers
3/5/17: Green Day
3/22/17: Flogging Molly
4/6/17: Bastille
5/7/17: Chance the Rapper
6/11/17: Metallica
6/21/17: Iron Maiden
9/9/17: Green Day (San Antonio)
9/12/17: One Republic w/ Fitz and the Tantrums
12/3/17: Lady Gaga

Missed out on Blink at the rodeo. Much disappointment.
ellebee
People were sitting at Marilyn Manson, strat. Marilyn Manson! I didn't care. I stood up the whole time.
goadius6
AG
If you're going to see The Lumineers show this week (Dallas or Houston) you have to go see SUSTO open up for them. Great band, about to blow up now that this tour is starting and they're opening for Lumineers
Al Bula
AG
I really like Lady Gaga but I'm not gonna see her in concert yet.
TheDoctor
AG
I've heard the same from two other people. Friend of mine is going to the show to see them more than the Lumineers. Looking forward to it.
goadius6
AG
TheDoctor said:

I've heard the same from two other people. Friend of mine is going to the show to see them more than the Lumineers. Looking forward to it.
I would definitely be going to see them more than the Lumineers, only tickets I could find were like $80, couldn't justify that to see Susto only get to play for MAYBE 40 minutes and I don't care for Lumineers that much either to drive down to Sugarland after work.

But I do love me some Susto
Sazerac
AG
They didn't fit the mostly empty stadium tonight. Really mediocre.

Listened to them on prime a couple days ago and certainly better on a stereo.
Sazerac
AG
Kaleo was awesome
ABKitch
AG
Bon Iver in April. Hope to hit Red Rocks for a show or two this season as well.
Jim01
AG
So annoyed John Mayer announced his Houston date and it's the night we are getting back from family vacation in Florida. My wife is giving me the "negative ghost rider" on going to a concert after a day driving 9 hours back from Florida. ugh!
The Milkman
AG
Just got my John Mayer tickets yesterday. So pumped to see him for the first time in about 14 years
94DallasAG
AG
Outside of a "F You Trump," which was to be expected, Green Day was fantastic. Sober Billy still puts on a helluva show
TheDoctor
AG

Great show as always.
ellebee
Found my May concert! Chevelle just announced at Emo's. Anyone have a presale code?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.