2017 concerts

81,892 Views | 806 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by The Lost
jrod2181
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Metallica added in Atlanta
Hincemm
AG
Just booked Sturgill in DFW (Grand Prairie)

Presale code to buy today is BLOOM
spadilly
S
Sturgill in sugarland.
RABAg04
AG
Got 4 for Sturgill in Sugarland
Know Your Enemy
AG
Hincemm said:

Just booked Sturgill in DFW (Grand Prairie)

Presale code to buy today is BLOOM

Thanks. Snagged a pit ticket. Have to get the bad taste of the Bomb Factory show out of my mouth.
Hincemm
AG
was it bad? a buddy who went (going to this one with me) seemed to like it.

never seen him live.
Know Your Enemy
AG
It was the whole experience. Parking was ****ty and they kept leading you farther away from the venue. Then it took FOREVER to get in. Once inside it was way overcrowded. You cannot convince me it wasn't oversold. We were like sardines at the way back of the floor. But the straw that broke the camel's back was the sound. It was awful and way too low and I was right by the soundboard. I kept yelling at the guy to turn it up. People around me were encouraging me as they were pissed too. I left about 4 songs in.
Know Your Enemy
AG
FYI- I go to 20+ concerts on average every year and this was the worst experience I had in years.
TP Ag '87
AG
Where?
Know Your Enemy
AG
TP Ag '87 said:

Where?

See my first post.
TP Ag '87
AG
Oh. I'm in Houston. Didn't know BF was a PLACE. Thought it was yet another band that I'd never heard of!
cr0wbar
AG
Seeing Sting next Thursday Feb 23 in Sugarland
goadius6
AG
Just got my Sturgill tix for Sugarland too, not excited about driving down to Sugarland on a Thursday after work though, sounds like a headache.

Wilderado on sunday night at HOB Peacock Room Houston
Conor Oberst St. Patty's day in Houston Warehouse Live
Shovels & Rope March 31 White Oak
Lone Bellow, April 20 White Oak
Whitney, April 27th at Secret Group (I think)
STS9 April 28th at HOB Houston (just saw them 2 nights at Moody in Austin, killt it!!!)
Middlelands Fest in May
Jim01
AG
FYI, Jason Isbell tickets are now up for presale with password "nashville"

I just grabbed two prime seats for Houston. Hells yeah!!
Sazerac
AG
thanks for the heads up, just snagged mine.
I don't see on the App how you enter a presale code, but was able to do it in a browser.
jh0400
AG
Jim01 said:

FYI, Jason Isbell tickets are now up for presale with password "nashville"

I just grabbed two prime seats for Houston. Hells yeah!!

Good looking out. Got two for the 7/15 show at ACL Live.
spadilly
S
Jimmy Buffett
Thurs, June 8 at the Woodlands Pavilion
spadilly
S

August 4 in the woodlands
Jim01
AG
So annoyed with this. I have been waiting for Jimmy Eat World to come to Houston. But as an opener? I have zero interest in seeing Incubus. Hopefully Jimmy Eat World comes through on a solo date soon.
TXAGBQ76
AG
Jimmy Hendrix Experience (Revention)
Tom Petty (CMW Pavilion)
Chicago (CMW Pavilion)
Santana (Sugarland)
Saw Ray Wylie Hubbard at Main Street in Tomball; seeing him again in August at Lake Bryan
Saw Savoy Brown at Dosey Does
Saw The Rides at HoB
Ian Moore at Main Street
Seeing Sinbad at HoB
TXAG 05
AG
Jim01 said:

So annoyed with this. I have been waiting for Jimmy Eat World to come to Houston. But as an opener? I have zero interest in seeing Incubus. Hopefully Jimmy Eat World comes through on a solo date soon.

You aren't missing much. I saw Jimmy Eat World when they opened for Green Day during the American Idiot tour, and they were terrible.
Al Bula
AG
I might have to catch Incubus.
62strat
AG
Jim01 said:

Go to concert, when jimmy is done, you leave and beat the crowd...

62strat
AG
Man the last time I considered going to Incubus, I didn't because they had a few new albums that I knew nothing about.

That was 10 years ago! What have they been up to?

Saw them in 2000 and 2002.
goadius6
AG
If you want to go see Jimmy Eat World, go to the Dallas St. Patty's day parade, they are headlining the Dallas Observer's concert.

Last year was great with Third Eye Blind, everyone was wasted and 3EB played the hits and we all had a blast.
Jim01
AG
Might have to add this to my summer list.

Everclear - 06.24 House of Blues - Houston, TX

It's an album tour for the 20th anniversary of "So Much For The Afterglow" one of my all time albums.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
STING was in Dallas (well Grand Prairie) last night.

Awesome show and VERY different than most concerts I've seen. I think Sting has reached the I don't give a S*** I'm going to do what I want to do stage of his career.

So the show opened with STING - yep he came out first. He talked a bit about his first trip to Dallas in 1979 and some other ones too. Then he kind of said how the show was going to go down. He said the opening acts would play but that they would all basically play together for a lot of it.

Then he did a solo acoustic number "Heading South on the Great North Road" a song about leaving home literally for him when he did back in 1976.

Then he introduced his son Joe Sumner who is 40 years old (sometimes I forget Sting is 65 he looks incredibly fit). Sting left and Joe played 3 songs of his mostly acoustic - interesting stuff more like celtic folk music than anything else.. For one song he had a guitarist join him from the other opening act band. Then as he closed the third song the second act was onstage and ripped right into their first song.

So the second opening act was a new band from San Antonio called The Last Bandoleros. Very very interesting band - I would describe as Rockabilly meets Tejano/Tex-Mex - WOW these guys are good. Great musicians and they have a travelling Squeezebox guy that plays with them - he was AMAZING. They have an EP out and it is great. Infectious stuff even if you are not a country fan - it has so much crossover it is unfair to label them as country. I'm not even a fan of country but I loved their stuff.

At the last of their 5 songs Joe Sumner, and Sting and Stings entire band joined them onstage. That was a great number.

Well there was no break there either - they rolled right into Stings set just switching places. The Bandaleros guys moved to backing vocals with Joe Sumner and Sting and his band took front stage. The Squeezebox guy was out there for 4-5 songs as well and Bandoleros drummer also added some other percussion elements at times. As Sting had said it was more like they were one band with elements coming and going as needed.

Here was the setlist which was much heavier on old Police songs (played in different styles then you might be used to) especially from the first 2 albums with a few more scattered in there from Ghost and Synchronicity albums.....and then 5 or so from the new Sting album. there were only 3 80's-2000 era Sting solo songs in the entire set.

Synchronicity II (The Police song)
Spirits in the Material World (The Police song)
She's Too Good for Me
Englishman in New York
I Can't Stop Thinking About You
One Fine Day
I'm So Happy I Can't Stop Crying
Down, Down, Down
Petrol Head
Shape of My Heart

---set break 15 mins-----

Message in a Bottle (The Police song)
Ashes to Ashes (David Bowie cover) (Joe Sumner sang lead vocals)
Walking on the Moon (The Police song)
So Lonely (The Police song)
Desert Rose
Roxanne (The Police song) / Ain't No Sunshine interlude

Encore:
Next to You (The Police song)
Every Breath You Take (The Police song)

Encore 2:
The Empty Chair (Sting solo acoustic)

So it was very interesting. almost 2.5 hours of nearly continuous music except the 15 minute set break - and basically one big band for most of it.

TP Ag '87
AG
Thanks VERY much for this. We're going Thursday night.
Jim01
AG
When I was an album reviewer a decade+ ago I remember having to review a band called Fiction Plane. Turned out it was Joe Sumner's band. Really good album actually. I still load it on my iPod from time to time to this day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everything_Will_Never_Be_OK

When I heard the album I immediately thought "This kind of sounds like Sting's voice." The press one sheet mentioned nothing about it, but google revealed that it was Sting's son. Google also led me to an article about how it was in Fiction Plane's contract that nothing from the label include the fact he was Sting sons. I kind of respected the fact he want his band to stand or fall based off the music, not his dad's name.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Junkhead said:

It was the whole experience. Parking was ****ty and they kept leading you farther away from the venue. Then it took FOREVER to get in. Once inside it was way overcrowded. You cannot convince me it wasn't oversold. We were like sardines at the way back of the floor. But the straw that broke the camel's back was the sound. It was awful and way too low and I was right by the soundboard. I kept yelling at the guy to turn it up. People around me were encouraging me as they were pissed too. I left about 4 songs in.
Completely different experience from us. We were up at the front and had a blast.
I do admit that the sound wasn't great, but not terrible. Up at the front it definitely wasn't too quiet though.
Parking always sucks there, so we just uber.
cr0wbar
AG
That sounds pretty badass. Going Thursday as well!
Hotdog Hamblin
AG
Bob Schneider at Heights Theater last Saturday was real good. That place is awesome. Got a few more lined up: Son Volt, A Perfect Circle, the XX, and Jason Isbell. Will likely add Sturgill.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
RHCP puts on a hell of a show. (And that light show is on point!)

However, it felt like a pretty short show. It was actually around 90-100 minutes or so, but it still feels like they left so much out. (For example, we didn't get Under The Bridge, Dani California, or a ton of other of the big hits.)

I checked out a couple more of their setlists and it seems like they usually have a set number of songs from the new album, and then they swap out hit songs from the other albums. (The show before mine, they played Dani California instead of Snow (Hey Oh). The show after mine, they played Under The Bridge instead of Soul to Squeeze.)

An awesome show and a great crowd. My only complaint is the length, and missing out on Under The Bridge.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Jim01 said:

When I was an album reviewer a decade+ ago I remember having to review a band called Fiction Plane. Turned out it was Joe Sumner's band. Really good album actually. I still load it on my iPod from time to time to this day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everything_Will_Never_Be_OK

When I heard the album I immediately thought "This kind of sounds like Sting's voice." The press one sheet mentioned nothing about it, but google revealed that it was Sting's son. Google also led me to an article about how it was in Fiction Plane's contract that nothing from the label include the fact he was Sting sons. I kind of respected the fact he want his band to stand or fall based off the music, not his dad's name.

Yeah I knew little of his son or his music prior to this myself. I knew he had opened for The Police with his band in 2007 but had not given him much thought since that tour.

Had to be hard shoes to sort of follow in. that said I think at this point in his life he is very secure in his own career. Obviously he hasn't had the success of his dad but he seemed very into his own music of course but also happy to play along with his dads music. Didn't seem like nepotism at all at this point - very much just a proud kind of working relationship. I don't think Sting would have him there if he wasn't worthy of standing on his own. they had a few moments on stage just kind of like nods of affection nothing else.

He is interesting to observe. He definitely has influences in the voice that can't be helped - and his mom was Irish, Stings first wife. He doesn't play up to that but it comes out naturally - just sort of that raspiness in the voice and a little accent. More noticeable in the acoustic stuff he performed. His hair is shorter now than when I saw him before with Fiction Plane opening for the Police in 2007 - and that makes him look more like Sting especially from the profile. He is bigger than Sting and stockier but the profile has similar features.

Both were wearing City of Angels FC t-shirts which I was curious about so I googled it - turns out Joe Sumner is a founder and owner of that NPSL team. Joe also founded an app/tech company called Vyclone that takes video clips from performances of the same event and ties them into a multi angle movie.

Anyway interesting guy.

TP Ag '87
AG
BTW: did they start pretty much on time?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.