2017 concerts

82,845 Views | 806 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by The Lost
mhayden
How long do you want to ignore this user?
KidDoc said:

free_mhayden said:

Dammit, you guys have now made me start looking into Metallica tickets for Friday.

Do you true fans look down on me because my most significant memories of them are practicing my layups listening to 'Black' on cassette tape and rocking to 'Load' as I wrecked shop on Quake?
OMG that is so funny! Load songs make me think of Quake as well haha.

If I remember correctly it was one of the first games that you could load off of the CD and then it would allow you to swap in an audio CD to listen to while playing -- vivid memories of 16 year old me playing while listening to "Until it Sleeps".
Jasomania
AG
free_mhayden said:

Dammit, you guys have now made me start looking into Metallica tickets for Friday.

Do you true fans look down on me because my most significant memories of them are practicing my layups listening to 'Black' on cassette tape and rocking to 'Load' as I wrecked shop on Quake?
You should absolutely go. It's been almost 10 years since the last time they went on tour and even they they do tour its been less and less dates each timeI don't know if they can keep playing these songs forever but as of now they are still in top form and you will not regret going. The show I saw Sunday and when I saw them back in 03 are easily in my top 5 greatest concerts of all time and quite possibly the greatest concert I've ever been to.
62strat
AG
St_Jason said:

free_mhayden said:

You should absolutely go. It's been almost 10 years since the last time they went on tour and even they they do tour its been less and less dates each timeI don't know if they can keep playing these songs forever but as of now they are still in top form and you will not regret going. The show I saw Sunday and when I saw them back in 03 are easily in my top 5 greatest concerts of all time and quite possibly the greatest concert I've ever been to.
I've been thinking the last few years; so many artists who have gotten so old, the main thing that stops/will stop them is, well, death. Someone like Paul McC, aerosmith, BB King, johnny cash, willie nelson, chuck berry.. these guys went/are gonna probably go until they die, because the required physical aspect of playing the music allows them to do so. The voice is obviously a factor.. a great voice in your 20s/30s is hard to still have in your 70s.

But, Metallica, not so much. Early 80s thrash was really the earliest forms (in large amounts) of very fast drumming/double bass, picking, soloing, long complicated songs, aggressive vocals, etc.. At some point, probably not too far into the future, they (along with their peers) are going to be physically unable to perform these songs to a level that they deem acceptable. They have pride in their music, and they aren't going to continue to play these songs sloppily, or dumbed down, just for the sake of doing it.

If they release another album and tour again in 3-4 years, they can do another round.. and maaaaybe even another after that if it's a short span.. After that, I'm not so sure. They'll be in their mid to late 60s. I think they're going to call it quits, on the road anyway.
TP Ag '87
AG
Fair points. I equate it back to Rush who did call it quits last year, and probably could/should have done so sooner. Their die-hard fans, though, just wouldn't let them do it but I think reality finally set in for both band and fans.

(OK, cue all the smart-ass Rush bashing and FIFY edits.)
mhayden
There's not a whole lot of bands that are willing to let the cash cow die for their "legacy".

And really it doesn't have that much impact... I don't think there's been any historical groups that people have significantly downgraded because of a final tour or three that was lackluster. What credit you lose for not being up to snuff you gain back in "hey man those guys are still out there giving it all for the fans!".
Counterpoint
AG
free_mhayden said:

Thanks for this. I needed the laugh today. Oh and yes, we look down on you! Enjoy the show.
Sazerac
AG
wow, the 2018 Avett Brothers at the Beach (4 nights @ Hard Rock Riviera Maya) is almost completely sold out during first day of pre-sales only to returning guests and Avett Guild members. And it's not cheap!
62strat
AG
free_mhayden said:

There's not a whole lot of bands that are willing to let the cash cow die for their "legacy".

Metallica has album sales and merch. They own their recordings and have their own record label. And they have lots of albums that sell. Not just 2 or 3. I'd bet they will be the exception. James is pretty picky about that. He will not play at 75% just for cash.

Time will tell.
Your Mom And Them
One thing I noticed about the crowd at Metallica concerts is that the age of the crowd has definitely aged with the band (I'm in my 40's). However, I was somewhat surprised at how many younger folks (20's) still attend their concerts. Just goes to show that Metallica is a cross-generational band. Their music reaches across the age groups.

I think they have at least one more tour in them...if they don't take 10 years between the current tour and the next one. They need to do one within the next 5 years.
KidDoc
AG
Your Mom And Them said:

One thing I noticed about the crowd at Metallica concerts is that the age of the crowd has definitely aged with the band (I'm in my 40's). However, I was somewhat surprised at how many younger folks (20's) still attend their concerts. Just goes to show that Metallica is a cross-generational band. Their music reaches across the age groups.

I think they have at least one more tour in them...if they don't take 10 years between the current tour and the next one. They need to do one within the next 5 years.
I'm in my 40's as well and every concert I've been to in the last 5ish years has young people as well as my generation. For the people attracted to rock n roll there is nothing contemporary or better than the iconic classic bands like Rush, Metallica, Iron Maiden, etc.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
62strat
AG
yeh I saw kids in the 6-8 year old range and a dude that looked about 80 at the Denver show. I saw white people, mexicans, blacks, asians. I saw women and men. I saw trashy looking people and people that looked like they were probably in slacks and button up earlier that day.

They really do reach every corner of the country.. and of the globe for that matter. They've played on every continent. I was telling myself in 1992 that this band's name will be around forever, near the top of the list of the GOATs.
jorgerr96
True fans love Load!
One of my favorite albums. Wish they could play 2x4 live again!
jorgerr96
San Antonio was much lighter than Houston. The Alamodome sucks tho.
Good set, we got Four Horsemen (3rd time played this summer tour) and Fight Fire With Fire.
Hoping they can play more HTSD stuff. They have done Confusion and Dream No More before but they still don't want to play them here.

2018 Fall tour will be better. This tour is for the new fans, that's why they are playing all their hits and only changing 3 songs on the sets. If you compare it to the setlist from Uniondale, NY (only arena show in the US this year) you'll see they changed the set there.
Once they do arenas again they'll change the sets and bring all the rare tracks back like what they did during the World Magnetic tour. Lars did say they will play more HTSD in europe this fall.
Know Your Enemy
AG
jorgerr96 said:

True fans love Load!
One of my favorite albums. Wish they could play 2x4 live again!

"True fans" probably love that piece of **** St. Anger and that mess of an album they did with Lou Reed.
62strat
AG
I think it became popular to like Load/Reload after St. Anger came out.
yawny06
AG
62strat said:

I think it became popular to like Load/Reload after St. Anger came out.
I enjoy all of those albums honestly and can listen to them start to finish no problem.

In fact, I had to drive to Gulf Shores this Monday after the concert and did exactly that!

Jim01
AG
Not to detract from the Metallica thread, but Queens Of The Stone Age just announced a new album and tour. Unfortunately no Texas date on the first leg though.

jorgerr96
I like St. Anger a lot, but the snare sound does take away.
I think true fans do dislike Lulu. It was ridiculous.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Jim01 said:

Not to detract from the Metallica thread, but Queens Of The Stone Age just announced a new album and tour. Unfortunately no Texas date on the first leg though.

With Royal Blood opening. I hope they schedule a Dallas dte.
TheDino
AG
No kidding. Queens and Royal Blood together would be a blast.
digging tunnels
AG
jorgerr96 said:

San Antonio was much lighter than Houston. The Alamodome sucks tho.
Good set, we got Four Horsemen (3rd time played this summer tour) and Fight Fire With Fire.
Hoping they can play more HTSD stuff. They have done Confusion and Dream No More before but they still don't want to play them here.

2018 Fall tour will be better. This tour is for the new fans, that's why they are playing all their hits and only changing 3 songs on the sets. If you compare it to the setlist from Uniondale, NY (only arena show in the US this year) you'll see they changed the set there.
Once they do arenas again they'll change the sets and bring all the rare tracks back like what they did during the World Magnetic tour. Lars did say they will play more HTSD in europe this fall.

You know something happening here?

At Houston show Lars said they would be back "real soon" but that could mean anything
Know Your Enemy
AG
Honestly the Metallica set lists I've been looking at don't thrill me. I'd definitely like to hear more of the earlier ****, the deeper cuts.
SbisaVictim95
AG
Seeing Frank Turner do an acoustic solo set Sunday night at Shipping & Receiving in Fort Worth
jorgerr96
Lars literally told the band that they should play all Hardwired at the European shows lol.
Fall 2018 is the rumored date of the arena tour. Dan from the Metclub staff even confirmed the band is coming back to the US for a 2nd leg of the tour. This summer tour is not the last of the WorldWired.
It is likely that they will end it in 2019.

I expect them to play in the "B" markets they avoided like NOLA, Austin, OKC, Tulsa, etc. The cities with the BIG box offices this tour will probably get another show next year.

Metallica signed a 360 deal with Live Nation so they will do the rest of the booking, but even if Live Nation has the last word, Lars has always been the guy that wants to play everywhere, but James can't do back to back shows anymore, so I expect the next arena tour to be shorter than the World Magnetic run. GNR in Houston did MUCH better than in Dallas, that's why they are getting an arena show in November.
Jasomania
AG
62strat said:

free_mhayden said:

Metallica has album sales and merch. They own their recordings and have their own record label. And they have lots of albums that sell. Not just 2 or 3. I'd bet they will be the exception. James is pretty picky about that. He will not play at 75% just for cash.

Time will tell.
Metallica seems very realistic about what they can physically do. Before this tour they said that their bodies can only handle about 50 shows a year, which in their prime they were doing 150+ shows a year. Even on this tour there are a couple days break between each show. They take a lot of pride in their live shows and personally I see them calling it quits before playing at less than 100%.
Counterpoint
AG
jorgerr96 said:

I like St. Anger a lot, but the snare sound does take away.

I love to listen to Metallica really loud, but I can't do that with St. Anger because of the damn snare.
62strat
AG
Jasomania said:

Metallica seems very realistic about what they can physically do. Before this tour they said that their bodies can only handle about 50 shows a year, which in their prime they were doing 150+ shows a year. Even on this tour there are a couple days break between each show. They take a lot of pride in their live shows and personally I see them calling it quits before playing at less than 100%.

They only played 150+ shows a year twice, 1989 and 1992.

But I agree, they will not phone it in just for the sake of cash. They (well, James) are much different than that.

Ever since they've all had kids, they've spread the tours out more. They have done the 'play some shows for 2-4 weeks, then take a while off and do another leg' schedule for a while now.
Wheatables02
AG
Junkhead said:

Honestly the Metallica set lists I've been looking at don't thrill me. I'd definitely like to hear more of the earlier ****, the deeper cuts.
I hope you saw them between 1997 and 2005 then. They went real deep. Excited for my 7th Metallica show tonight in Arlington! I got my floor wristband this morning and I'm #175 in the queue.
mhayden
Anyone know set times for tonight? I could give or take the openers.
62strat
AG
starts at 6, second band was 7-7:15, metallica at 9. Second band was over at 8:15
Know Your Enemy
AG
Wheatables02 said:

Junkhead said:

I hope you saw them between 1997 and 2005 then. They went real deep. Excited for my 7th Metallica show tonight in Arlington! I got my floor wristband this morning and I'm #175 in the queue.

I've seen them numerous times in that period.
62strat
AG
Honestly, for a new album tour, you're getting a lot of old bang for your buck here. Nothing from Load through death magnetic. A few new ones, the rest, KEA-TBA.

Made a quick list of the songs I've seen over my 8 shows.

# of times - Song

3 - Motorbreath
1 - No Remorse
1 - Phantom Lord
6 - Seek & Destroy
2 - The Four Horsemen
1 - Whiplash
2 - Kill/Ride Medley

7 - Creeping Death
4 - Fade to Black
3 - Fight Fire With Fire
5 - For Whom the Bell Tolls

3 - Battery
1 - Disposable Heroes
8 - Master of Puppets (2 of them were the short version)
1 - The Thing That Should Not Be
3 - Welcome Home (Sanitarium)

2 - Blackened
2 - Harvester of Sorrow
8 - One

8 - Enter Sandman
1 - Holier Than Thou
7 - Nothing Else Matters
1 - Of Wolf and Man
8 - Sad but True
1 - The God that Failed
3 - The Unforgiven
6 - Wherever I May Roam

1 - Ain't My *****
1 - Bleeding Me
1 - Hero of the Day
1 - Wasting My Hate
3 - King Nothing
2 - Until It Sleeps

3 - Fuel
1 - Low Man's Lyric
1 - The Memory Remains

2 - Breadfan
1 - Die, Die My Darling
3 - Last Caress
2 - So What
1 - Stone Cold Crazy
2 - I Disappear

1 - Dirty Window
1 - Frantic
1 - St. Anger

1 - All Nightmare Long
2 - Broken, Beat & Scarred
2 - Cyanide
2 - That Was Just Your Life
2 - The Day That Never Comes
2 - The End of the Line

1 - Atlas, Rise!
1 - Hardwired
1 - Moth Into Flame
1 - Now That We're Dead
Know Your Enemy
AG
People who have seen Metallica this week. By any chance did you notice if they had poster tubes at the merch stand? I want to get a poster but I'll bring my own tube if they don't have them.
Your Mom And Them
I saw folks walking around at the Houston show with poster tubes. Not sure if they were bought at the show or not.
AgLaw
AG
Metallica show in Dallas was LOUD. Great show. For
a bunch of guys in their fifties, they can still turn it to 11.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.