2017 concerts

82,836 Views | 806 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by The Lost
yawny06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
At Metallica in Houston...

First time ever to see my favorite band live...let's do this!
yawny06
AG
****ing amazing!
whiskey02
AG
Your Mom And Them
Metallica was freakin awesome in The Tine tonight! To me, they're one of the few bands that sound just as good live as they do on CD or download.
whiskey02
AG
Here is a link to purchase a recording of tonight's show.

http://webcast.livemetallica.com/?show=559
HeadGames
AG
Saw Band of Horses at The Greek last month. Was great!
Counterpoint
AG
whiskey02 said:

We even got a little "I Disappear" (but no "Fuel").
62strat
AG
Count Counterpoint said:

whiskey02 said:

We even got a little "I Disappear" (but no "Fuel").
The rob/kirk doodle in Denver was the entire I disappear song, with no lyrics/drums. It was kinda weird.
62strat
AG
Your Mom And Them said:

Metallica was freakin awesome in The Tine tonight! To me, they're one of the few bands that sound just as good live as they do on CD or download.
James had a rough couple years from '10 to a few years ago. I think he's been doing some hardcore vocal coaching. Even with all the songs in flat, he was still struggling on a lot of songs; mainstays like enter sandman.

He is sounding better than he has in a long time right now.
Al Bula
AG
I really like "I disappear," was hoping they would play the full song with lyrics.
Jasomania
AG
Metallica was incredible my ears are still ringing. I'm glad they did Battery and Nothing Else Matters in the encore. From their recent setlists they either do those two songs or Fight Fire with Fire. They also either do Fuel or Creeping Death.

I thought it was a dick move to take up half the screen while A7X was playing to have a banner saying to go to a website to see Metallica tune their instruments live. I mean they could have at least put their logo on one of the screens. I did think it was cool they blacked out NRG so it was at least dark when A7X played.
yawny06
AG
The set was perfect. I enjoyed the I Disappear portion with just Kirk and Rob. The new stuff sounds great live.

62strat
AG
St_Jason said:

Metallica was incredible my ears are still ringing. I'm glad they did Battery and Nothing Else Matters in the encore. From their recent setlists they either do those two songs or Fight Fire with Fire. They also either do Fuel or Creeping Death.

I thought it was a dick move to take up half the screen while A7X was playing to have a banner saying to go to a website to see Metallica tune their instruments live. I mean they could have at least put their logo on one of the screens. I did think it was cool they blacked out NRG so it was at least dark when A7X played.
NEM isn't a rotater. Battery, Blackened and FFWF were the rotaters for the first spot in encore.

They also rotated a KEM song before sad but true, other than that it was all pretty standard. Early shows got welcome home instead of Halo on fire, and harvestor instead of roam.

At denver show, the tuning room ad came up right when AX7 finished (8pm).. Are you sure it was on while they were playing?
yawny06
AG
The ad was on the whole time before Volbeat, through AX7, up until when Metallica came on.

Really enjoyed Volbeat too. AX7 is apparently coming back to Texas in early 2018. Might have to go see them again as a headliner.
62strat
AG
Actually, come to think of it, I don't think the screen was on during VB and AX7.. maybe because it was still light outside?

Thinking back of older concerts, the opening bands don't always get the screens.
Your Mom And Them
I have also noticed what you noticed about James. He has struggled with Enter Sandman in recent years, but he nailed it last night! He was back to his old form and was incredible. Only thing I would've changed about last night was to switch out Creeping Death for Fuel. I love that freakin song and it is such a great song for a concert. I kinda wish they'd lead off their concerts with Fuel.
digging tunnels
AG
Got a set list and two picks!!

Jasomania
AG
Yeah it was on the whole time. A7X finished around 8 and the thing said the broadcast started at 8 so it wasn't specifically saying go watch them tune while A7X was playing.

The stage had 5 of these big screens and A7X used the far left and right one so the middle three were blank, and I get them saving the whole array of screens for Metallica it's just it would have cost them nothing to put A7X or Volbeat's logo up on the middle screen so people knew who they were. That said they did block out the roof with curtains so it was dark for the openers which they didn't have to do and they did have a lot of pyrotechnics for A7X which was nice.
Counterpoint
AG
They played Spit Out the Bone in the tuning room last night too. That's one I REALLY want to see them do live (in an actual concert setting).
62strat
AG
Yeh they've rehearsed it at quite a few tuning room deals. I don't think they're ready quite yet!
jetch17
AG
St_Jason said:

Yeah it was on the whole time. A7X finished around 8 and the thing said the broadcast started at 8 so it wasn't specifically saying go watch them tune while A7X was playing.

The stage had 5 of these big screens and A7X used the far left and right one so the middle three were blank, and I get them saving the whole array of screens for Metallica it's just it would have cost them nothing to put A7X or Volbeat's logo up on the middle screen so people knew who they were. That said they did block out the roof with curtains so it was dark for the openers which they didn't have to do and they did have a lot of pyrotechnics for A7X which was nice.

Yeah, ad up during both

62strat
AG
jetch17 said:

St_Jason said:

Yeah, ad up during both

Ahh I got ya now. I misread what you were saying. I don't see anything wrong with that. It looks like they got some decent real estate on those screens. I guess I never even noticed, I couldn't hardly see those screens come to think of it.

It's totally different with it being dark for openers. Denver was open stadium so is it was broad daylight for both of them.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Bob Seger at Cynthia Woods in October.
jorgerr96
Saw Muse and Metallica. Both awesome shows.
Seeing Metallica tomorrow in San Antonio, Friday in Dallas, and Sunday in Chicago.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Echoes97
AG
KidDoc said:

The cover band shows were fun. IMO the Van Halen dominated the show they were really on and got the crowd involved as well. The Police one needed better backup vocals. Kiss Alike was good but they bad some fairly unpopular songs that kind of lost the crowd a bit. The VIP upgrade was cheap for this show and the seating and service was great.

Next up for me is Hagar's Circle Friday September 15 in Sugar Land. Section 104 row DD should be fun! Weird there are no hotels nearby though and I don't want to do the round trip again. I'm too old to get home after 1:30!
KidDoc,
Don't know if I mentioned it before, but the drummer in the Police tribute is a friend of mine, and our drummer in our Pink Floyd tribute also. He is a manimal, nails Copeland in that band. However, totally agree w/ your assessment of the backup vocals. Takes away from the weight of the songs somewhat.

Also agree that the VH guys were tops, guitarist was ridiculous! Got a little hammered and left after them so didn't see the KISS band, oh well, not that big a fan. Enjoy The Circle, they are ridiculously fun to see live, though hopefully the Smart Financial crowd won't be lame.
Us And Them - The Pink Floyd Experience
http://www.usandthemband.net
mhayden
Dammit, you guys have now made me start looking into Metallica tickets for Friday.

Do you true fans look down on me because my most significant memories of them are practicing my layups listening to 'Black' on cassette tape and rocking to 'Load' as I wrecked shop on Quake?
Know Your Enemy
AG
Yes
yawny06
AG
First...you should go because it will be awesome.

Second...no. I have come to appreciate all their albums. My first memories were listening to Sad but True and The Unforgiven repeated on a cassette tape that I recorded off the radio.
Azariah
AG
I don't see Anesthesia on the set list.
Azariah
AG
free_mhayden said:

Dammit, you guys have now made me start looking into Metallica tickets for Friday.

Do you true fans look down on me because my most significant memories of them are practicing my layups listening to 'Black' on cassette tape and rocking to 'Load' as I wrecked shop on Quake?
Of course not. Black is my favorite album of all time. Go see the show. You will not be disappointed.
62strat
AG
Azariah said:

I don't see Anesthesia on the set list.
It's 'Kirk/Rob Doodle'. After they doodled, Rob did it solo. It's not 'Anethesia', because it's just the first half. No drums or the part leading right up to drums.
62strat
AG
free_mhayden said:

I first heard them from black album (I was 11).. and I have absolutely no shame in admitting that. It's not my fault I wasn't older in 1986 or 1988.

I very quickly got into first 5 albums during the black album period (all on cassette), and by the time Load came around, I was a full on die hard fan, and have genuinely enjoyed everything they've put out, save for St. Anger (I give it a 5 at best), and the lou reed project, which I've never heard. College days for me was reload and garage days revisited. I have never bashed L/RL, I think those are really good albums, and they sound phenomenal (Death Mag.. not so much!)

When I moved to Denver (2012), I sold KEA through black album on cassette on ebay for about $75. Couldn't believe it.

It's hard to imagine now that when I got into them, KEA was only 8-9 years old, and MOP was a mere 5-6 years old.
KidDoc
AG
free_mhayden said:

OMG that is so funny! Load songs make me think of Quake as well haha.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TP Ag '87
AG
Caught Brit Floyd last night. Wow, they were good. I was never a PF freak but have come to appreciate them more over time. BF had it down, including lights, graphics, sax and an awesome back-up singer (who was pretty hot as well...not that it matters...).

Just a real enjoyable evening.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.