November 7, 2014. Christopher Nolan. INTERSTELLAR.

99,376 Views | 809 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by The Collective
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TCTTS
AG
This cast keeps getting better and better. Casey Affleck now in the fold...

http://www.nolanfans.com/2013/06/21/casey-affleck-reveals-hes-in-christopher-nolans-interstellar/
TCTTS
AG
Or, she could have just joined TexAgs...

quote:
Speaking of keeping things hush-hush, Chastain will soon be shooting Interstellar, director Christopher Nolan's supersecret science-fiction film reportedly based on physicist Kip Thorne's theories about gravity and wormholes.

She was filming Miss Julie in Northern Ireland when she got the call that Nolan was interested in her.

"They put someone on a plane and flew them to Ireland and then drove them two house to my location to hand me the script to read," Chastain remembered. "That's how secret this movie is. There's no email. There's no FedEx. Someone gets on a plane from L.A. and flies to Northern Ireland."

And no, she wasn't allowed to keep it. Chastain smiled, "I gave it back to the very nice gentleman and he got back on a plane and went back to L.A."

http://www.eonline.com/news/430679/jessica-chastain-i-m-not-talking-about-my-love-life-till-i-m-engaged
Removed:09182020
AG
Well done. Read the entire script and loved it. Interested to see CNs take on it. I especially liked how they dealt with the family stuff.
TCTTS
bedofbrass33
AG
After reading y'all's speculation and those first pages posted I will definitely see this.

As far as the degradation of society, the first thing that comes to mind is the cost projections I have seen for an actual interstellar mission. The amount of capital involved is more than all the money and resources the world has ever had. I could see governments in the movie becoming so obsessed with getting through the wormhole that they take control of as many resources as possible to get things off the ground. That, in turn, leaves so little available for commerce and tech to benefit the masses that things start falling apart. Who cares about parts for the Yankee's plane when that aluminum could instead be machined into parts for our interstellar ship?

Of course this just might be the libertarian, right wing, tin foil side of me manifesting.
TCTTS
AG
I really like that idea. Seems like a plausible explanation for how society ended up where it did. And if what you say is true about the expense, I'm just really hoping they find a way to explain how the hell the small little operation McConaughey joins is able to build/afford a ship that gets them to the wormhole.
hunter2012
AG
It seemed like the robot workers added much of the efficiency to the project so the main thing would be mobilizing resources. I agree that it could explain some of the lagging infrastructure with the world governments seeing the signs and desperately trying to get to the wormhole. Also in this time span they could make the assumption that the big ship in space was constructed with ored materials from asteroids(since it seems like we aren't too far away now).
Simplebay
AG
And now Nolan has added to the brillance of this acteing ensemble...

Topher Grace.

Wait, what?
Saxsoon
AG

[This message has been edited by Marsuvees (edited 7/24/2013 6:34p).]
hunter2012
AG
quote:
And now Nolan has added to the brillance of this acteing ensemble...

Topher Grace.

Wait, what?

This is probably just a minor part, he was decent in Too Big to Fail.
SpiralAg
Topher.
MEEN Ag 05
AG
Thanks hunter!

[This message has been edited by MEEN Ag 05 (edited 7/24/2013 11:51a).]
hunter2012
AG
Marsuvees and MEEN got ya covered
KeithDB
AG

Agfencer98
AG
fencingag at gmail dot com
Saxsoon
AG
Thanks!
TCTTS
AG
Couple of new cast additions announced today, filling out the final vacancies. Main cast is now complete...

Now that it's final... who's playing who? Most obviously, it looks like Nolan has gone with a son and daughter for Cooper instead of two boys. And we've got three old-ish male actors for the three presumably old-ish male characters: Ansen (the LIGO director in the opening), Donald (Cooper's father-in-law) and Brand's father. Months ago, Caine revealed he has a small role as a "professor," so I'm guessing he's Ansen in the opening. As for Lithgow and Irwin, Irwin already played Hathaway's dad in Rachel Getting Married, so I don't see why he couldn't do it again - and I could definitely see Lithgow as Copper's father-in-law - but those two roles could easily be reversed. As for Burstyn, no clue. Maybe a new role as Cooper's mother-in-law? And Affleck/Grace/Bentley are so interchangeable, I'm kind of surprised Nolan didn't get a little more diverse (though Affleck is easily my favorite).

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 7/27/2013 12:01p).]
Saxsoon
AG
Jessica and Anne look so lovely in those photos.

This looks to be an amazing cast.
Professor Frick
AG
Affleck.
hunter2012
AG
Anyone think that they use these actors as androids? If not voice but actually playing androids, could explain several actors being of similar age. I could see Chris going this route since since he dislikes heavy cgi usage.
TCTTS
AG
^ Exactly what I said on here weeks ago and it got shot down. But yeah, after seeing this casting, it would make sense, and explain the similarities in actors.
MEEN Ag 05
AG
Judging from the casting of the daughter it looks like Jessica Chastain is possbily playing a mother role (or maybe the teacher, who knows). If it is the mother, is that role possibly only in flashbacks or a change or direction from the script? What do you think?

I'm thinking that if Nolan bothered to change a second son to a daughter and add a mother-in-law that he's trying to push more of a connection early with the family. This would mean that the mother role could be more than flashbacks, but perhaps not.

EDIT: I actually bothered to read the thread and everyone's take on Chastain's role - I'm probably way off base.

[This message has been edited by MEEN Ag 05 (edited 7/26/2013 9:44a).]
TCTTS
AG
Looks like Nolan has finally added some diversity to the cast. This, from The Wrap, who were the same ones last week to say casting was complete. Guess not...

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/column-post/butlers-david-oyelowo-cloud-atlas-actor-join-christopher-nolans-interstellar-exclusive-1
Simplebay
AG
Casting is definitely not complete. Now the Dothraki are involved.

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/column-post/christopher-nolan-casts-game-thrones-actor-interstellar-exclusive-108156
TCTTS
AG
Forgot to post this earlier, but filming officially began this past Tuesday, August 6th in Canada. They're doing 25 days in the towns of Okotoks, Nanton and Lethbridge, at which point they'll move on to the next location, which is currently unknown. I imagine set photos will likely start popping up soon, though, this feels like a shoot that'll mainly be on stages / behind closed doors. It definitely won't be anything like the months and months of TDKR set photos.

With production already in full-swing, and knowing Nolan's inclination to release a teaser trailer a year or so before a film's release, I wouldn't be surprised to see a trailer as soon as November. Considering this is a joint Paramount / Warner Bros. production, my best guesses for a trailer premiere would be either with The Wolf of Wall Street (Paramount) on November 15th, or with The Hobbit sequel (WB) on December 13th. We MIGHT get some kind of teaser with Gravity (WB) on October 4th, considering the studio, subject matter and prestige factor, but that seems a little too far out (would be 13 months before Interstellar's release). Either way, it's awesome knowing that we'll finally start seeing pics/footage in the coming weeks/months. Can't wait.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 8/10/2013 12:26p).]
TCTTS
AG
Here we go. First set pics from Canada, along with a cell-phone quality video, featuring Matthew McConaughey (Nolan can be seen as well). Obviously pre-launch. Looks to be a new scene, with a new character alongside McConaughey (Game Of Thrones' Elyes Gabel), as I don't remember a scene like this from the J. Nolan draft (Cooper and guy in a suit walking through what looks like a town square)...

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/notyetamovie/news/?a=85813

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 8/22/2013 4:36p).]
Independent George
AG
I am way too excited for this movie, hopefully it delivers.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
I am way too excited for this movie, hopefully it delivers.

Same here. But with this resume...

- Memento
- Insomnia
- Batman Begins
- The Prestige
- The Dark Knight
- Inception
- The Dark Knight Rises

... I'd say our chances are pretty good. Even Insomnia and TDKR, probably the two biggest "disappointments" on the list, are pretty damn good, despite their flaws. While two others (TDK and Inception) are easily two of the best movies of the past decade. Not to mention, we know at least an old draft of the Interstellar script is pretty damn solid. There's a first time for everything, of course, but I'd be shocked if this one doesn't deliver.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 8/22/2013 5:03p).]
Simplebay
AG
im a nolan fanboy.

but after being able to digest TDKR for a while, i'm scared Nolan may have shot his wad on Inception. Everyone knows that was his baby, nursed it forever, finally had the tech and $$$ to do it, cracked the script, and in his opinion his crowning achievement (i say Memento and TDK, even BB are better)

i just hope Nolan isnt doing large scale thought provokers for the sake of it. Here's hoping we see a bit more passion than what i felt was lacking in TDKR.
Simplebay
AG
YouTube link of video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA1eeyEKCxs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

[This message has been edited by simplebay (edited 8/22/2013 5:56p).]
TCTTS
AG
quote:
im a nolan fanboy.

but after being able to digest TDKR for a while, i'm scared Nolan may have shot his wad on Inception. Everyone knows that was his baby, nursed it forever, finally had the tech and $$$ to do it, cracked the script, and in his opinion his crowning achievement (i say Memento and TDK, even BB are better)

i just hope Nolan isnt doing large scale thought provokers for the sake of it. Here's hoping we see a bit more passion than what i felt was lacking in TDKR.

I can understand that concern, but I'd argue that Nolan never wanted to make TDKR in the first place. I've read quite a few opinions, thoughts, theories, etc. on this, and Nolan's preliminary, original vision for the third movie was, unsurprisingly, going to feature the Joker again in whatever capacity. And when Ledger died, it apparently hit Nolan pretty hard. So much so that he didn't want to make another movie. I mean, he never even had concrete plans to make TDK until they started discussing the story after BB had already hit theaters. But with TDKR, there was obviously this immense pressure to finish the trilogy. Nolan knew he had to, I just don't think he wanted to. There's some brilliant stuff in the final product, but you're right, you can tell that it just didn't come from a place of passion. Even Goyer said they had a really, really hard time cracking the story. And it shows.

With Interstellar, though, this is something his brother started working on back in '07/'08. Nolan surely read Jonah's initial draft back then, and it probably stuck with him. Not to mention, he's combining that draft with an original idea of his own, which points to it being more in-line with an Inception-like passion project for him. Either way, it's definitely been brewing for a while, and I don't think it's Nolan doing large scale simply for the sake of it. He loves doing these kinds of thought-provoking blockbusters, pushing the envelope, using IMAX, etc. If anything, a space-themed epic, a la 2001, feels like a natural progression in his career.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 8/22/2013 8:47p).]
hunter2012
AG
I'm freaking out, I'm not sure I can make it to NEXT November.

I agree with TCTTS, you can tell with some of the mishaps that Chris didn't put his whole heart into DKR like he does with so many other movies.

that being said, a fan made poster

TCTTS
AG
As far as fan posters go, that one's not bad, actually (save for the tagline).
TCTTS
AG
WHOA. Matt Damon joining the cast "in a small, undisclosed role"...

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/exclusive-matt-damon-joins-christopher-nolans-interstellar-lines-up-directorial-debut-a-murder-foretold-20130828

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 8/28/2013 3:10p).]

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.