November 7, 2014. Christopher Nolan. INTERSTELLAR.

98,613 Views | 809 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by The Collective
Bruce Almighty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
as if the only point to watching movies was for the plot to be completed as soon as possible.

I guess you missed the part where I said I don't mind movies being slow, but that's typical texags. But when over half the movie is non essential to the plot, then yes, I have problems.
jlb2957
AG
quote:
I don't mind movies being slow, but what I don't like are movies that waste huge chunks of time where there is absolutely nothing going on and adds zero to the plot. The Lord of the Rings movies are guilty of this as well, but I can at least sit through those movies in their entirety, even if I am bored at times. I read a study on 2001 where there is actually only 45 minutes of plot that is essential to the movie. The other hour and 45 minutes could be taken out and would not effect the movie at all.

There is more to some movies than JUST plot. Especially when dealing with a movie like LOTR, world building is essential to truly understanding the characters and movie itself. Were there things they could have removed? Sure. But I would not say the whole hour and 45 minutes was unnecessary.
Bruce Almighty
AG
That's fine with LOTR, but not 2001. I'm not suggesting cutting an hour and 45 minutes from the movie, but the fact that you could and still have the same movie just seems way to excessive. There are just too many times where not a damn thing is happening for huge stretches of the film. No world building, no character development, just nothing. There are movies I don't like, but still appreciate, like Citizen Kane. But like I said earlier, 2001 is the biggest overrated piece of crap in cinema. It's the one classic film that I just cannot stand.
sharkenleo
Kubrick is one of the best directors of all time, and 2001 is one of, if not his best movie. It's one of my personal favorites, in any genre.

I can understand why it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, but you can't really watch it with the same mindset you take into any movie. I don't think it really falls under the definition of movie as much as art. Not trying to sound pretentious, but there's so much more to that film than plot. Kubrick is a visual storyteller, and the visuals are just as important to that film as plot. It's almost like he was painting a picture for the audience through his camera lens.

I think the first space scene, set to the Blue Danube, is one of the most brilliant film scenes ever. And when HAL refuses to open the pod bay doors and Dave decides to make a jump for it through the vacuum of space, just awesome.

Again, fully understand that it's not everyone's cup of tea. Just my two cents.
TCTTS
AG
Think I'm with sharkenleo on this one.
jlb2957
AG
I'm with Syag on 2001. I can't stand the movie and went into it with a completely open mind knowing it is a different kind of movie.

I guess I can't watch it for the same reason I can't stand in a museum and stare at a certain piece of art for longer than 2 minutes.

I see art... I appreciate it, but I will not sit there and try to understand every emotion the artist was going through went he painted or sculpted it. One reason why I can't stand abstract art.
schmendeler
AG
The only part of 2001 I didn't like was the kaleidoscope at the end when he's going warp speed or whatever. That went on a bit too long. But the rest, I thought, was thoughtfully done.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
The only part of 2001 I didn't like was the kaleidoscope at the end when he's going warp speed or whatever. That went on a bit too long. But the rest, I thought, was thoughtfully done.

My thoughts, exactly. The stuff at the very end, along with the pre-historic/monkey sequence at the beginning, just go on a bit too long. Everything else I think is great.
PatAg
AG
I guess I had forgotten about Moon, or didn't really include it. For some reason my mind just didn't think of it as traditional sci-fi.
TheMustangTesla
BBQ4Me
AG
The end of Sphere (book) did really suck IMO
SpiralAg
I imagine Interstellar to be typical Nolan, but in space. Almost like Inception in space, as somebody else said. Actually, maybe more like a combination of Lord of the Rings and the Dark Knight, but in space...not the same sort of world obviously, but similar in its broad scope, phenomenal detail, and dark, violent uncertainty that runs throughout the plot.

This movie will be long. It will begin slowly to set up the world in which it is set, with characters that are compelling (and well cast). More and more will be revealed throughout the film, and the viewer will slowly be made aware of an extremely dark interstellar conspiracy or evil presence that must be dealt with by the protagonists, who come to realize their backs are up against the wall at the same pace the audience does.

I'm predicting it will be a two-part epic or a trilogy. Nolan can't explore an idea this massive in one movie.
TCTTS
AG
McConaughey? Hell yes...

http://www.deadline.com/2013/03/matthew-mcconaughey-courted-by-christopher-nolan-for-lead-in-interstellar/
TCTTS
AG
Btw, this would be his SECOND wormhole movie (Contact being his first)...
Simplebay
AG
Loved The Lincoln Lawyer and thought he was great in Killer Joe. Got MM got on the right track.

He needs this. Nolan sees the potential.
Simplebay
AG
Hmmmm. The moment of inception. Soon.

Gradin
atm0812
AG
Interesting choice by Nolan, but I can't remember him making a mistake before so I'll give it to him.

McConaughey seems to have turned his career around last year and Mud has been getting good buzz too.
Teacher_Ag
AG
TCTTS, do you know Deano?
TCTTS
AG
I assume you're referring to a person? An Aggie? In LA? If so, I met/knew a Deano a few years ago who was all of the above. Didn't know him well, but know people who did. Was a little too "intense" for me. I assume we're talking about the same person, only because I've been asked "Do you know Deano?" at least a dozen times by various Aggies since I've lived here.
TCTTS
AG
Wow. Anne Hathaway set to co-star...

http://www.deadline.com/2013/04/anne-hathaway-to-star-with-matthew-mcconaughey-in-christopher-nolans-interstellar/
zgood10
Simplebay
AG
quote:
According to the Dutch website Film Abides, Hoyte Van Hoytema will be Nolan’s cinematographer for Interstellar. Hoytema is a Dutch national who has worked on a handful of well known films, such as Tinker Tailer Soldier Spy and The Fighter. Hoytema received the Nordic Vision Award in 2008 for Let the Right One In, and is also a multiple Guldbagge Award winner. Christopher Nolan had to find a new cinematographer after longtime, Academy Award winning partner Wally Pfister left the world of cinematography for feature film directing

Love the look of The Fighter, and Tinker Tailor (even though it was a boring movie).... but particularly loved his work on Let the Right One In

This seems like a good fit.

http://www.filmabides.nl/nieuws/hoyte-van-hoytema-doet-nieuwe-nolan-interstellar
TCTTS
AG
Agreed. Seems very Wally Pfister-ish. Great choice.
TCTTS
AG
Holy crap, this is shaping up to be such an awesome cast. Jessica Chastain in talks for the "third lead" (behind McConaughey and Hathaway)...

http://www.deadline.com/2013/05/jessica-chastain-in-talks-for-christopher-nolans-interstellar/
Gradin
Simplebay
Saxsoon
AG
Jessica Chastain
schmendeler
AG
damn, a year and a half from now?
Jack Thauer
AG
Mcconnaughey? Eff no
amercer
AG
quote:
The end of Sphere (book) did really suck IMO

Really? I though it left a good twist.

Spoiler*******

It's been a long time but my recollection of the end is that there is a touch of ambiguity about whether the chick gave her powers up.
amercer
AG
Oh, but yeah the movie sucked.

I don't know how anyone can say Event Horizon wasn't good though.
TCTTS
AG
Not that there was ever any doubt, but Michael Caine has now officially joined the cast as well...

http://www.deadline.com/2013/05/michael-caine-joins-christopher-nolans-interstellar-cast/
Saxsoon
AG
I love Michael Caine, but jeez.
redline248
AG
Ok, so I'm way late to this party. Just saw this thread for the first time right now. This quote...

quote:
The film will depict a heroic interstellar voyage to the furthest reaches of our scientific understanding.

Has me thinking it's a ripoff of Stargate Universe.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.